PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain makes huge gaffe and CBS is covering for him

dirk digler
07-22-2008, 08:34 PM
LMAO And the McCain camp is the one whining about the press fawning over Obama.

From the transcript of the CBS interview:

Couric: Senator McCain, Sen. Obama says, while the increased number of U.S. troops contributed to increased security in Iraq, he also credits the Sunni awakening and the Shiite government going after militias. And says that there might have been improved security even without the surge. Whatís your response to that?

McCain: I donít know how you respond to something that is such a false depiction of what actually happened. Colonel McFarlane (phonetic) was contacted by one of the major Sunni sheiks. Because of the surge we were able to go out and protect that sheik and others. And it began the Anbar awakening. I mean, thatís just a matter of history. Thanks to General Petraeus, our leadership, and the sacrifice of brave young Americans. I mean, to deny that their sacrifice didnít make possible the success of the surge in Iraq, I think, does a great disservice to young men and women who are serving and have sacrificed.

They were out there. They were protecting these sheiks. We had the Anbar awakening. We now have a government thatís effective. We have a legal system thatís working, although poorly. And we have progress on all fronts, including an incredible measure of security for the people of Iraq. There will still be attacks. Al Qaedaís not defeated. But the progress has been immense. And to not recognize that, and why it happened, and how it happened, I think is really quite a commentary.

Couric: A commentary on what?

McCain: That Sen. Obama does not understand the challenges we face. And Ö not understand the need for the surge. And the fact that he did not understand that, and still denies that it has succeeded, I think the American people will make their judgment.

One problem. The surge wasn't even announced until a few months after the Anbar Awakening. Via Spencer Ackerman, here is Colonel MacFarland explaining the Anbar Awakening to Pam Hass of UPI, on September 29, 2006. That would be almost four months before the President even announced the surge. Petraeus wasn't even in Iraq yet.

CBS is covering up his gaffe by editing out his wrong response and added a different answer on the TV side but left the original interview intact online.

Interesting development to say the least.

Direckshun
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Link please.

Taco John
07-22-2008, 11:05 PM
The Anbar Awakening had nothing to do with the surge. It was actually sparked by the fact that the US was throwing up its hands in the Anbar province, and was signalling to the leaders there that they were going to pull out of the region and put their focus on other areas. This caused the local leaders to band together and take responsibility for their region, where they were sick of Al Queda killing their own. It wasn't a suprise when six months later, and the surge was just barely getting underway that they pointed at the Anbar Awakening as a success of the surge. But it wasn't true.

The surge has success points that it can claim, but the Anbar Awakening isn't one of them.

DeezNutz
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Someone watched Countdown. Literally.

Lots of folks criticize Fox News, and I understand the reasons, but does anyone take MSNBC seriously?

Guru
07-22-2008, 11:26 PM

Lots of folks criticize Fox News, and I understand the reasons, but does anyone take MSNBC seriously?

Careful, Chris Matthews might get another tingle up his leg.

Dave Lane
07-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Absolutely. Keith Olbermann is one of the brightest minds out there.

Dave

DeezNutz
07-23-2008, 12:19 AM

Dave

You're kidding? Even Olbermann's mom views him as a caricature. And do you find O'Reilly too partisan?

beer bacon
07-23-2008, 12:45 AM
It wasn't just Countdown that covered this. AP has an article up about this, although they don't mention that CBS edited the interview to make McCain look better. AC 360 also did a breaking segment on this. They spent quite a bit of time on it.

Here is a link to a huffingtonpost article that has some video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/22/mccain-gets-history-of-th_n_114419.html

Here is a link to a jedreport video that is very interesting. It is the edited Q&A that was actually shown on CBS Nightly News back-to-back with the unedited version they posted on their website:

http://www.jedreport.com/

beer bacon
07-23-2008, 12:51 AM
You're kidding? Even Olbermann's mom views him as a caricature. And do you find O'Reilly too partisan?

What the **** does this have to do with the content of this thread?

Well, here is some of my own content. The AP report and AC 360 focused on this "gaffe" strictly in terms of how awful it makes McCain look, but I think the bigger issue is the journalistic dishonesty on display by CBS. For all the talk from the McCain camp lately that the media is infatuated with Obama, what we have here is a concrete example of one of the big three network consciously acting to deceive their viewers in favor of McCain.

This is bad for everyone, voters across the spectrum should be upset about this. CBS favored McCain this time with their editing, but it could just as easily be Obama next time. Media organizations that pull this crap need to be held accountable. It is one thing when latent biases affect coverage, it is much worse when a high profile news program knowingly edits something like this to cover a candidate's ass.

penchief
07-23-2008, 06:26 AM
liberal media, indeed.

***SPRAYER
07-23-2008, 06:30 AM

Dave

:LOL:

penchief
07-23-2008, 06:45 AM

It's true. He does one of the best jobs of laying out the facts in a way that exposes just how corrupt the administration is. In a way that is rarely, if ever, disputed. And he effectively calls out the gutter politics of the fascist right, their lies, and the liars. And he's rarely, if ever, disputed.

Watching Olberman is not like watching Faux News. He doesn't make stuff up the way they do.

Most righties can't stand watching him because he nails it (night in and night out) and there isn't a damn thing they can do or say to dispute it.

***SPRAYER
07-23-2008, 06:57 AM
It's true. He does one of the best jobs of laying out the facts in a way that exposes just how corrupt the administration is. In a way that is rarely, if ever, disputed. And he effectively calls out the gutter politics of the fascist right, their lies, and the liars. And he's rarely, if ever, disputed.

Watching Olberman is not like watching Faux News. He doesn't make stuff up the way they do.

Most righties can't stand watching him because he nails it (night in and night out) and there isn't a damn thing they can do or say to dispute it.

Messier
07-23-2008, 07:09 AM

Yeah, I know. It's hard to dispute.

Chiefnj2
07-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Nothing they can do about it, except post smilies.

mlyonsd
07-23-2008, 07:20 AM

Rove to be indicted in two weeks.....film at 11.

I quit watching Olberman when I realized he not only prosecutes whom he doesn't see eye to eye politically, but does the judging as well.

In the end we each see what we want to see, you and I are both proof of that.

***SPRAYER
07-23-2008, 07:24 AM

At least now we know who his source was.

:)

Radar Chief
07-23-2008, 07:26 AM

Dave

:LOL: :shake:

penchief
07-23-2008, 07:36 AM

I quit watching Olberman when I realized he not only prosecutes whom he doesn't see eye to eye politically, but does the judging as well.

In the end we each see what we want to see, you and I are both proof of that.

I won't dispute how you see it but you can't accuse him of making stuff up. There is a reasonable case to be made for all of the judgements he's made about the actions of those he "reprimands."

His intent is not to undermine the individual but to summarize their misconduct and its consequences in a way that makes it plain for all to see. Something few others are willing or able to do. And again, his facts are rarely, if ever, disputed. And on the whole, his conclusions are equally as sound.

You may not like his style but he is accurate. And for those with an open mind he is an effective voice for transparency in government.

JMO.

Chief Faithful
07-23-2008, 07:36 AM
The Anbar Awakening had nothing to do with the surge. It was actually sparked by the fact that the US was throwing up its hands in the Anbar province, and was signalling to the leaders there that they were going to pull out of the region and put their focus on other areas. This caused the local leaders to band together and take responsibility for their region, where they were sick of Al Queda killing their own. It wasn't a suprise when six months later, and the surge was just barely getting underway that they pointed at the Anbar Awakening as a success of the surge. But it wasn't true.

The surge has success points that it can claim, but the Anbar Awakening isn't one of them.

The surge was crafted based on what was learned in Anbar. Gen. Petraeus stated they applied the Anbar lessons on a broad scale, which is the strategy later labeled the surge. In that sense McCain is correct.

***SPRAYER
07-23-2008, 07:41 AM
he is an effective voice for MOONBATS.

:whackit:

jAZ
07-23-2008, 08:16 AM

CBS is covering up his gaffe by editing out his wrong response and added a different answer on the TV side but left the original interview intact online.

Wow. Just wow.

jAZ
07-23-2008, 08:17 AM

If the Obama campaign doesn't move on this, it's their own fault, even if they are overseas right now.

DeezNutz
07-23-2008, 08:24 AM
And for those with an open mind he is an effective voice for transparency in government.

JMO.

Olbermann is open minded? You believe that he seeks this transparency on both sides of the aisle? His schtick is to bash Bush, Fox News, and now McCain, and this constitutes the majority of his program, every night. The main problem I have with his "analysis", however, is that he rarely--I actually think never because I haven't seen it--presents a dissenting voice.

He and Ann Coulter are the same person for their respective crowds, IMO, and there's nothing positive about that association.

ChiTown
07-23-2008, 08:32 AM

Dave

:spock:

ROFL

Smed1065
07-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Hussein sucks-LOL

Adept Havelock
07-23-2008, 09:03 AM
The only humorous side to this is that if it had been CBS doing this for an Obama gaff, we would have almost exactly the same posts, the difference being the thread would have been started by Shtsprayer instead of dirk digler, with responses falling in line accordingly.

Oh, and the "Keith Olbermann" discussion would be replaced by "Michelle Malkin".

DeezNutz
07-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh, and the "Keith Olbermann" discussion would be replaced by "Michelle Malkin".

She's brilliant. Very insightful and rarely wrong, assuming you're open minded. LMAO

Adept Havelock
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
She's brilliant. Very insightful and rarely wrong, assuming you're open minded. LMAO

LMAO

I'll grant she's hotter than Keith Olbermann. Then again, so is Estelle Getty (RIP).

DeezNutz
07-23-2008, 09:34 AM
LMAO
Then again, so is Estelle Getty (RIP).

I'm pretty sure she was a piece of ass in her day.

Alphaman
07-23-2008, 10:25 AM
"Because of the surge we were able to go out and protect that sheik and others. And it began the Anbar awakening. I mean, thatís just a matter of history."

Seriously, this is almost as bad as Hillary's "sniper fire" statement. I say that because he makes a point to say "that's just a matter of history". This is very problematic for McCain. Either he remembered it incorrectly, which calls into question his intellect and soundness of mind or he embellished it to make his point look good, which calls into question his integrity, honesty and morality. Either way it goes, these are characteristics that are difficult to support for POTUS.

***SPRAYER
07-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Is there a link? I mean, to something besides mother jones or mediamatters.

A video, perhaps?

Adept Havelock
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Link please.

Sure. From Youtube. Just search under "CBS McCain Coverup".

Here's Olbermann on the edited clip. This is what started the discussion. However, consider the source. :shrug:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEcQ1BYCsVY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEcQ1BYCsVY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's the CBS interview, apparently without the edit.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zYaXr03vtNE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zYaXr03vtNE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's the transcript of the interview, without the edit to cover the gaffe.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/22/eveningnews/main4283813.shtml

Regardless of the CBS edits, it's very clear McCain is claiming the surge led to "Anbar Awakening", which is only possible if time-travel is involved.

Perhaps McCain was distracted by the conflict on the Iraq-Pakistan border. :shrug:

***SPRAYER
07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
That is pretty bad.

Adept Havelock
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
That is pretty bad.

I'm guessing his campaign recognizes that, as they've apparently canceled their only scheduled press conference for the week.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0708/McCain_cancels_avail.html?showall

Pitt Gorilla
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Wow, he really did say that the surge led to the Anbar awakening. I thought it might be a slip of words, but it appears he actually either a)believes it happened prior to Anbar or b) is lying and hopes nobody was paying attention. The "matter of history" part leads me to believe the latter is possible.

Has CBS issued a response yet?

Edit: The most amusing part might be McCain's comments about how Obama is receiving favoritism in the media.

beer bacon
07-23-2008, 12:22 PM
CBS has a response out:

"As all news organizations do with extended interviews, last nightís Obama and McCain interviews were edited to fit the available time and to give viewers a fair expression of the candidates' major differences," CBS spokeswoman Jennifer Farley emailed. "The full transcript and video were and still are available at cbsnews.com."

jAZ
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
This needs to blow up and if it does, it destroys CBS, destroys the claim that CBS has a liberal bias, destroys McCain's claim of pro-Obama media and destroys McCain's credibility and conginitive abilities.

It's a long election, but this is a critical moment for all sides.

chagrin
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
This needs to blow up and if it does, it destroys CBS, destroys the claim that CBS has a liberal bias, destroys McCain's claim of pro-Obama media and destroys McCain's credibility and conginitive abilities.

It's a long election, but this is a critical moment for all sides.

Yeah, go ahead and ignore the other 99 News stations following Umbama around like he's the messiah, denial ain't just a river in Egypt, son. :shake:

And who ever said specifically that CBS has a liberal bias? We know for a fact Dan Rather had one, making up shit to put on the air bu CBS has always been a conservative programmer; their shitty newscats aside.

I just sat through an hour long nightmare (just part of their "all day coverage...") on msnbc (of course you wouldn't call that a bias would you) about umbama's trip to Iraq; man that guy is lost in Foreign Plociy, he'd better pick a top notch VP choice to run with him or he's doomed, seriously.

jAZ
07-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Has CBS issued a response yet?

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/cbs_sidesteps_questions_about.php

CBS Sidesteps Questions About Editing Of McCain Interview
By Greg Sargent - July 23, 2008, 1:44PM
As you may have heard by now, CBS is under attack today because the network mysteriously edited out of an interview with John McCain a passage where McCain flubbed the timeline of the Anbar Awakening and the surge, a serious foreign policy gaffe at a sensitive moment for the Arizona Senator.

The flubbed-timeline quote never aired. It's only available in a transcript on CBS' Web site.

Here's what a CBS spokesperson is sending reporters who ask for an explanation:

As all news organizations do with extended interviews, last night's Obama and McCain interviews were edited to fit the available time and to give viewers a fair expression of the candidates' major differences. The full transcript and video were and still are available at cbsnews.com.Quite clearly, this doesn't even begin to address the criticism. It doesn't explain why the portion revealing McCain to have badly botched the surge timeline was edited from the piece -- even though McCain on the surge is basically the cornerstone of his argument that he has better foreign policy judgment and seasoning than Obama does.

We're asking CBS for further explanation. We'll keep you posted.

jAZ
07-23-2008, 12:36 PM
And who ever said specifically that CBS has a liberal bias?
Way to expose yourself as someone who is willing to comment on topics they have absolutely no understanding about.

Start learning here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_(book)

HolmeZz
07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
The myth about McCain's cred on foreign policy has gone down the tubes.

HolmeZz
07-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I think CBS has been overly sensitive about the criticism that the media is in the tank for Obama and they don't want to be shown exposing McCain even more.

HC_Chief
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
I think CBS has been overly sensitive about the criticism that the media is in the tank for Obama and they don't want to be shown exposing McCain even more.

That, or they didn't know the timeline either and never bothered to check. Seems like a probable explanation to me, esp. when you consider the fact that this IS CBS... the network that allowed forged materials to be presented as "the news".

***SPRAYER
07-23-2008, 01:43 PM
That, or they didn't know the timeline either and never bothered to check. Seems like a probable explanation to me, esp. when you consider the fact that this IS CBS... the network that allowed forged materials to be presented as "the news".

Dude, did you see the recent interview with CBS where Rather said Osama Bin Laden when he was talking about Obama and nobody corrected him? I don't think anybody was even listening to him blather on.

HC_Chief
07-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Dude, did you see the recent interview with CBS where Rather said Osama Bin Laden when he was talking about Obama and nobody corrected him? I don't think anybody was even listening to him blather on.

It was on purpose. They're hiding shit. They're in the tank for McCain. Open your eyes to the corporate media, dude.

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2008, 08:00 AM
I didn't see any references to this on the Daily Show, but I missed the first minute or so.