PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Majority Sees U.S. Winning War on Terror for First Time Since 2004

bkkcoh
07-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Link (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/war_on_terror/war_on_terror_update)

Over half of American voters (51%) now believe the United States and its allies are winning the war on terror, the highest figure recorded in nearly four years by Rasmussen Reports in a nationwide survey.

Only 16% now think the terrorists are on top, while 27% view it as a stalemate. Prior to this week’s survey, the number who believe the terrorists are winning had never fallen below 20%.

Last July, just 36% thought the U.S. and its allies were winning. At that time, an equal number—36%--thought the terrorists were ahead.

Other indicators in the survey also show that Americans have growing confidence that things are looking up in the war on terror.

Forty-two percent (42%) now think the situation in Iraq will improve over the next six months. That’s up from 37% a week ago and 23% a year ago.

Only 23% now expect things to get worse in Iraq, down from 49% last July.

The gap also is narrowing dramatically between those who think history will judge the war in Iraq as a success – 36% now – versus those who think it will be viewed as a failure (39%).

These results continue a trend noted last week when 48% said the U.S. and its allies were winning versus 20% who saw the terrorists ahead. The 28-point difference was the most favorable margin recorded by Rasmussen Reports since tracking began in January 2004. The previous high was established on September 6, 2004, when 52% thought the U.S. and its allies were winning but 26% thought the terrorists were winning -- a 26-point favorable margin.

Now 35 points separate those who think the U.S. is ahead as opposed to the terrorists.

For the first time in months, more Democrats (35%) also think the U.S. is winning versus the number who credit the terrorists with being ahead (26%), although nearly a third (31%) are undecided. Last week, only 27% of Democrats thought the U.S. was winning.

Even as Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama tours the war zones in Afghanistan and Iraq on a fact-finding trip, Americans are evenly divided on whether he is too inexperienced to be president. Forty-five percent (45%) say Obama, who has been in the Senate three years after serving as a state legislator in Illinois, lacks the experience to sit in the White House, a number that has been trending higher in recent weeks. An identical percentage disagree.

The results on the war on terror come as a separate Rasmussen Reports national survey this week found that 63% of Americans want the troops brought home from Iraq within a year, reflecting little change in voter attitudes since tracking of this question began last August. Still, just 24% want the troops withdrawn immediately.

Forty-four percent (44%) of voters think the United States is safer today than before the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, but 39% disagree. Both figures are roughly comparable to the most optimistic figures on record.

Obama and Republican presidential candidate John McCain have stepped up their criticism of each other’s positions on the wars on terror and in Iraq in recent days, largely due to Obama’s current overseas trip. McCain, a longtime supporter of the war in Iraq, has consistently pushed for more U.S. troops there, and this so-called surge of forces is credited with bringing stability to the war-torn country. Obama remains a critic of the war but now acknowledges that the surge, which he opposed, has worked.

In another recent survey, however, 48% of Americans agreed with Obama that Afghanistan, and not Iraq, should be the “central front” in the war on terror.

Still in new polling this week McCain is again trusted by voters more than Obama when it comes to Iraq and the broader issue of national security.

Now 61% of men think the U.S. and its allies are winning the war on terror, up from 54% last week and 49% the week before. The number of women who agree has held steady at 43% for two weeks in a row, up from 37% a week earlier.

The percentage of Republicans who see the U.S. and its allies ahead also stayed roughly the same at 78%. Forty-five percent (45%) of unaffiliated voters, a bloc critical to the upcoming presidential election, agree, up two percentage points from a week earlier and 36% the week before that. Nationally, the race between Barack Obama and John McCain remains very close in the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll.

Thirty percent (30%) of likely Obama voters also see the U.S. winning, while 26% of them disagree.

Rasmussen Reports will continue polling weekly on this topic through the election and then resume monthly tracking. Weekly updates are posted on the Obama-McCain: By the Numbers page.

During weekly tracking in Election 2004, confidence that the U.S. and its allies were winning ranged from a low of 45% to a high of 52%, but the number who thought the terrorists were winning never fell below 25%.

The war on terror was the number one issue for voters in the 2004 election cycle. Voters now identify economic issues as their number one concern.

President Bush’s record low approval ratings have improved slightly from the new confidence in the outcome of the war on terror. Forty-six percent (46%) rate his job performance as poor, down from 49% last week, while 27% rate his work as good or excellent for the second week in a row.

I bet the dems hate to hear about this poll. But I am sure they wont believe it.

Chief Henry
07-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Bump

Taco John
07-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I bet the dems hate to hear about this poll.

Why would they?

NCarlsCorner2
07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Obama still doesnt believe it.

Jenson71
07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
If the majority says we're winning, then it must be true.

NCarlsCorner2
07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Looks like Obama needs to make some more koolaid.

BigChiefFan
07-23-2008, 06:07 PM
How the **** can you win a war on terror? You can't. There is no way in Hell the government can prevent everything from happening. Sure, you can curb it, but evil is evil and it will always exist, thinking you can't prevent evil in all forms in naivety at it's finest.

The war on terror is the new war on drugs. It's a built in excuse to bleed tax payers of their money. Yippie.

Adept Havelock
07-23-2008, 06:08 PM
How the **** can you win a war on terror? You can't. There is no way in Hell the government can prevent everything from happening. Sure, you can curb it, but evil is evil and it will always exist, thinking you can't prevent evil in all forms in naivety at it's finest.

The war on terror is the new war on drugs. It's a built in excuse to bleed tax payers of their money. Yippie.

How about a war on entropy? Damn the laws of thermodynamics, and full steam ahead!

Jenson71
07-23-2008, 06:08 PM

I'm sorry, do you have to go on The List?

BigChiefFan
07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry, do you have to go on The List?
What list? The iggy list-put me on, if you can't handle what I say.

What did I say that you found so offensive?

noa
07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
I bet the dems hate to hear about this poll. But I am sure they wont believe it.

Yes, the Democrats would absolutely love for this country to lose to the terrorists.

beer bacon
07-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Welp, it looks like I learned how to speak Arabic and memorized the Koran for nothin :(

Chief Henry
07-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Welp, it looks like I learned how to speak Arabic and memorized the Koran for nothin :(

Piss on the Koran

SBK
07-23-2008, 06:26 PM

You describe it just like the war on poverty........

beer bacon
07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
60% of Americans think we need a timetable to get out of Iraq. 30% don't think we need a timetable.

Take that liberals! McCain is going to adopt a timetable in two weeks and sail to victory!

BigChiefFan
07-23-2008, 06:31 PM
You describe it just like the war on poverty........The war on poverty costs tax payers trillions of dollars? Try again.

Jenson71
07-23-2008, 06:32 PM
What list? The iggy list-put me on, if you can't handle what I say.

What did I say that you found so offensive?

Um, the list Big Brother keeps of all his insubordinate children.

SBK
07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
The war on poverty costs tax payers trillions of dollars? Try again.

Considering it's been going on since the 40's and it's a fight that will never be won----wealth redistribution must continue!!!!

The war on poverty has cost way more in dollars and cents, not even close.

Stinger
07-23-2008, 06:57 PM
There is no way in Hell the government can prevent everything from happening. .....

It's a built in excuse to bleed tax payers of their money. Yippie.

See also Global warming, carbon emissions tax, death tax, etc. etc.

BigChiefFan
07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Considering it's been going on since the 40's and it's a fight that will never be won----wealth redistribution must continue!!!!

The war on poverty has cost way more in dollars and cents, not even close.
Apples to oranges. Compare the stats of the two the past six years or are you now going to tell me that we've been at war in Iraq for over 60 years?

Hydrae
07-23-2008, 07:14 PM

My thoughts exactly. Somehow I am not surprised that over 1/2 the country is stupid enough to think it can be won or lost.

Calcountry
07-23-2008, 08:20 PM
If the majority says we're winning, then it must be true.Only if Obama says so to Katie Couric.

RJ
07-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Link (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/war_on_terror/war_on_terror_update)

Why do you think that? Did dems think we were losing the war on terror? I never did, even at the beginning.

SBK
07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Apples to oranges. Compare the stats of the two the past six years or are you now going to tell me that we've been at war in Iraq for over 60 years?

You said war that can never be won, same thing.

wazu
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
This is even better than that time we won the war on drugs. And all the other times we won wars against inanimate objects, concepts, and ideologies.

VAChief
07-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Please share what that standard will be so that we know we have won? What will the benchmark be?

The invasion of Iraq was conceived long before 9/11. The subsequent conflict/occupation after "mission accomplished" has become I believe wrongly associated with the pursuit of bringing international terrorists to justice.

BigChiefFan
07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
So we agree the war on terror can not be won.

SBK
07-24-2008, 11:28 AM
So we agree the war on terror can not be won.

I don't think you can completely defeat the idea, the evil of it, but you can neutralize it.

I compare the war on terror to the war on communism. Did we win, yes, is it 100% gone? Nope. But it's been banished to the failed ideas of history.

If only liberals would add the war on poverty to that same heap that communism smolders on.

BigChiefFan
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't think you can completely defeat the idea, the evil of it, but you can neutralize it.

I compare the war on terror to the war on communism. Did we win, yes, is it 100% gone? Nope. But it's been banished to the failed ideas of history.

If only liberals would add the war on poverty to that same heap that communism smolders on. Communist China has the biggest population in the world and I don't see us doing a damn thing about it, except helping their GNP. Which means we help support Communism in a round about way.

Again, the war on terror cannot be won. Sure we can subdue it, but the CIA can get alot more accomplished than over extending our troops on a falsely predicated war. Bush botched this, plain and simple.

VAChief
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM

If only liberals would add the war on poverty to that same heap that communism smolders on.

I doubt that anyone but the most left leaning liberals would have argued against seeking to neutralize terrorism. The need for a full scale ground war to achieve that goal seemed excessive.