PDA

View Full Version : MU Former Mizzou coach Stewart recovering from heart surgery

Old Dog
07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
From CBS Sportsline:
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10906617
COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Former Missouri basketball coach Norm Stewart is recovering from open-heart surgery.

University officials said the 73-year-old Stewart had an aortic valve replacement on Friday. He is recuperating at Boone Hospital Center and is expected to be released later this week.

Stewart spent 32 years as coach at Missouri, his alma mater. He earned 731 career wins in his 38-year coaching career and is a member of the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame.

Hope all goes well for him. I'm not a Mizzou fan, but the man was a hell of a coach.

ChiefsFanatic
07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Hope all goes well for him. I'm not a Mizzou fan, but the man was a hell of a coach.

yep

DJay23
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
I was lucky enough to attend KU when Stewart was still coaching. Next to the Rock Chalk Chant, nothing was more fun than shouting, "Sit Down Norm!"

Speedy recovery, Norm.

KCFalcon59
07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
:KU: Get well soon, Norm!! :KU:

HC_Chief
07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I was lucky enough to attend KU when Stewart was still coaching. Next to the Rock Chalk Chant, nothing was more fun than shouting, "Sit Down Norm!"

Speedy recovery, Norm.

Yep

"Get Well Norm!" :D

kepp
07-23-2008, 01:32 PM

Speedy recovery, Norm.

Wasn't he recently (within the last couple years) at allen field house for some ceremony and they actually gave him an official "sit down Norm" chair or something? Or was that somewhere else?

Anyway, get well soon Norm.

DJay23
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Wasn't he recently (within the last couple years) at allen field house for some ceremony and they actually gave him an official "sit down Norm" chair or something? Or was that somewhere else?

Anyway, get well soon Norm.

Yep, I believe it was the 2002-2003 season, they gave him a rocking chair to honor his contributions to basketball, the conference, and I think for his retirement.

KCinNY
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
As a lifelong Mizzou guy, it's sad that arch-rival Kansas treated him with more dignity following his retirement than his beloved alma mater did.

The "sit down Norm!" chair was a classy move.

The higher ups at the Mizzou athletic department shunned him because he wouldn't kiss Bill Lauire's ring - a class A jerk who married into Wal-Mart money and has been the athletic department's biggest benefactor.

DJay23
07-23-2008, 03:28 PM
As a lifelong Mizzou guy, it's sad that arch-rival Kansas treated him with more dignity following his retirement than his beloved alma mater did.

The "sit down Norm!" chair was a classy move.

The higher ups at the Mizzou athletic department shunned him because he wouldn't kiss Bill Lauire's ring - a class A jerk who married into Wal-Mart money and has been the athletic department's biggest benefactor.

Unfortunately money talks nowadays.

They did name the court after him, though it probably should have been the whole damn arena.

Sure-Oz
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Hope he gets well soon. a hell of a coach and loved watching his teams play

eazyb81
07-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I hope he has a speedy recovery. When I think of Mizzou, I think of Norm Stewart. The guy was a class act and very entertaining.

Braincase
07-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Godspeed.

(/KU On) Actually, I was surpised to hear he had a heart. (/KU off)

Get well Norm. Just kidding there.

CoMoChief
07-23-2008, 05:22 PM
9 million years coaching for MU

No final 4's

Get well soon Norm

markk
07-23-2008, 05:45 PM
if anybody ever did more with less i couldn't name them.

one of the greats.