PDA

View Full Version : Money Wages. Minimum wage to go up tommorow and other stuff.

BigVE
07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
THis is going to kind of go in a couple of different directions but it's all related. Tommorow the federal minimum wage is set to go up 70 cents to $6.55. http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/23/minimum-wage-to-jump-by-70-cents-thursday/ That is a 12 percent increase just like that. Good. Bad. Who knows, the majority of americans with "real" jobs won't even notice it...or will they? Where I work at the starting wage has increased significantly over the past 4 years (in 1995 starting pay around $7 per hour, went to 8 and now is around 10-12 dollars an hour depending on skills). The problem that has been created now is for those guys that fell in between the then and now starting wages. Guy "A" started 4 years ago at $8 per hr., was at $10 in a year and then is/was given a 3/4/5% raise annually depending on his review. Now I have some guys coming in at $10+ hr. from day one and are up to $12+ in a year that puts them on par with an experienced reliable hand that has been here almost 4 years. I'm only "middle management" so other than talking the HR/bossman it's out of my control but this just doesn't seem right. To me, the only right way to do this is if the general starting wage increases by 20% then EXISTING employees should get some sort of bump in pay to keep things right. I'm about to lose a couple of key guys because of this. What would you do? Thanks for letting me rant a bit.

Calcountry
07-23-2008, 07:16 PM
THis is going to kind of go in a couple of different directions but it's all related. Tommorow the federal minimum wage is set to go up 70 cents to $6.55. That is a 12 percent increase just like that. Good. Bad. Who knows, the majority of americans with "real" jobs won't even notice it...or will they? Where I work at the starting wage has increased significantly over the past 4 years (in 1995 starting pay around $7 per hour, went to 8 and now is around 10-12 dollars an hour depending on skills). The problem that has been created now is for those guys that fell in between the then and now starting wages. Guy "A" started 4 years ago at $8 per hr., was at $10 in a year and then is/was given a 3/4/5% raise annually depending on his review. Now I have some guys coming in at $10 hr. from day one and are up to $12+ in a year that puts them on par with an experienced reliable hand that has been here almost 4 years. I'm only "middle management" so other than talking the HR/bossman it's out of my control but this just doesn't seem right. To me, the only right way to do this is if the general starting wage increases by 20% then EXISTING employees should get some sort of bump in pay to keep things right. I'm about to lose a couple of key guys because of this. What would you do? Thanks for letting me rant a bit.Good, I can now safely raise the price of my cheap dog food again.

Baconeater
07-23-2008, 07:22 PM
There's very few jobs where tenure is a consideration for what you're paid, you pretty much get market value no matter how long you're at a job. You might get more benefits like more PTO, but that's about it. Contrary to popular belief years of experience doesn't always translate to higher wages either, I have almost 20 years of experience doing what I'm doing but I probably couldn't garner a much higher wage than someone with just 5. Those things might make it easier to get a job, but they don't necessarily translate to higher wages.

UteChief
07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
That's what happened to me. Today is my seven year anniversary at UPS. People that have worked there a year make just about what I do or within five to ten cents.

Hydrae
07-23-2008, 07:29 PM
That's what happened to me. Today is my seven year anniversary at UPS. People that have worked there a year make just about what I do or within five to ten cents.

Congrats on 7 years in one place! :toast:

Dunit35
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I guess last year at the place I work at now gave everyone a raise when the min wage went up. The owners better do it again or I'm going to be pissed.

BigVE
07-23-2008, 07:34 PM
There's very few jobs where tenure is a consideration for what you're paid, you pretty much get market value no matter how long you're at a job. You might get more benefits like more PTO, but that's about it. Contrary to popular belief years of experience doesn't always translate to higher wages either, I have almost 20 years of experience doing what I'm doing but I probably couldn't garner a much higher wage than someone with just 5. Those things might make it easier to get a job, but they don't necessarily translate to higher wages.

I agree with you and really to me this situation is different. If a guy could technically quit and get rehired at TODAYS rate and make more money in a year than if he stayed loyal then something is wrong.

Baconeater
07-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I agree with you and really to me this situation is different. If a guy could technically quit and get rehired at TODAYS rate and make more money in a year than if he stayed loyal then something is wrong.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's the way it is. Loyalty doesn't mean a hell of a lot any more. My wife is coming up on her 20th anniversary at her job, you know what she gets as a bonus? $300. That's what loyalty is apparently worth these days.

Fairplay
07-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Price of fast food going up. We all pay somehow or other.

Ari Chi3fs
07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
when the minimum wage goes up by 12%, expect inflation to go up by 12% or more.

its a never ending cycle when you are on paper money with no financial backings...

blueballs
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
gas prices droped
so it's like .80
the rental furniture store stock will soar

Valiant
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
THis is going to kind of go in a couple of different directions but it's all related. Tommorow the federal minimum wage is set to go up 70 cents to $6.55. http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/23/minimum-wage-to-jump-by-70-cents-thursday/ That is a 12 percent increase just like that. Good. Bad. Who knows, the majority of americans with "real" jobs won't even notice it...or will they? Where I work at the starting wage has increased significantly over the past 4 years (in 1995 starting pay around $7 per hour, went to 8 and now is around 10-12 dollars an hour depending on skills). The problem that has been created now is for those guys that fell in between the then and now starting wages. Guy "A" started 4 years ago at $8 per hr., was at $10 in a year and then is/was given a 3/4/5% raise annually depending on his review. Now I have some guys coming in at $10+ hr. from day one and are up to $12+ in a year that puts them on par with an experienced reliable hand that has been here almost 4 years. I'm only "middle management" so other than talking the HR/bossman it's out of my control but this just doesn't seem right. To me, the only right way to do this is if the general starting wage increases by 20% then EXISTING employees should get some sort of bump in pay to keep things right. I'm about to lose a couple of key guys because of this. What would you do? Thanks for letting me rant a bit.

Hate minimum wage increase.. Doing this will just cause people and companies to raise prices.. And in turn will screw the people that were making more then minimum wage already, since those people will not see a benefit of it..

beach tribe
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Great. 16 yr olds working at Mcdonalds are going to get a raise.

whoaskew
07-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Great. 16 yr olds working at Mcdonalds are going to get a raise.

X2

alanm
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Take care of the guys you NEED to take care of. It's been my experience that the work ethic of young 20 somethings today doesn't exist. But then I remember when I was a young 20 something and all I thought about was partying and pussy. Which makes it all the more important to take care of the guys you count on.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Hate minimum wage increase.. Doing this will just cause people and companies to raise prices.. And in turn will screw the people that were making more then minimum wage already, since those people will not see a benefit of it..

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah. **** those guys who can't afford to feed their kids, I want my bigscreen damnit!!! :cuss:

blueballs
07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
minimum wage people work with food and children
something is seriously wrong with that

alanm
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
I guess last year at the place I work at now gave everyone a raise when the min wage went up. The owners better do it again or I'm going to be pissed.
In time they may give you a pay raise but I wouldn't count on it right away. Business expenses mostly tied into the cost of fuel is costing everyone no matter what business it it.

Baconeater
07-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Take care of the guys you NEED to take care of. It's been my experience that the work ethic of young 20 somethings today doesn't exist. But then I remember when I was a young 20 something and all I thought about was partying and pussy. Which makes it all the more important to take care of the guys you count on.
Judging by the atrocious level of service when I go pretty much anywhere any more, I honestly feel most employers nowadays are more concerned about what they have to pay an employee vs how good of a job they can do. I find it very hard to believe they're really trying to find the best people they can. They'd rather simply take whoever is willing to work for the crap wage they've set for the job.

alanm
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Judging by the atrocious level of service when I go pretty much anywhere any more, I honestly feel most employers nowadays are more concerned about what they have to pay an employee vs how good of a job they can do. I find it very hard to believe they're really trying to find the best people they can. They'd rather simply take whoever is willing to work for the crap wage they've set for the job.
I'm mostly thinking of single guys under the age of 25. I'm amazed any employer hires them. But I was the same way when I was that age and astonished that the federal gubment hired me.

Guru
07-23-2008, 10:41 PM
when the minimum wage goes up by 12%, expect inflation to go up by 12% or more.

its a never ending cycle when you are on paper money with no financial backings...
And yet, I bet most of us don't see a 12% increase in wages to keep up with that.

alanm
07-23-2008, 10:43 PM
And yet, I bet most of us don't see a 12% increase in wages to keep up with that.
That would be a winning bet at 98% of places.

markk
07-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah. **** those guys who can't afford to feed their kids, I want my bigscreen damnit!!! :cuss:

People who make minimum wage in large part do not live in households that are below the poverty line. This is because most of them are high school or college age and are still dependent on their parents.

Bearcat2005
07-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Wal-Mart puts forth the largest financial lobby to increase min. wages. The logic is that min. wage increases kill small businesses thus less competition. (Especially if you consider where most Wal-Marts are located, small towns).

Thank you congress for raising inflation more hidden tax for consumers to pay.