PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Need My Deck Stained....

petegz28
07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Ok I know someone on here does this or knows someone who does.

Not sure if it's a big enough job for Phobia to waste his time :hmmm:

Anyhow 14x14 cedar deck. Looking to get it done like really soon or you will have plants and crap to deal with otherwise cause the landscaping starts soon.

Had a small accident with the power washer so wife is hinting she doesn't want me to stain the deck. Probably not her worst idea.

blueballs
07-23-2008, 08:01 PM
how holds some of you peoples dick while you pee

siberian khatru
07-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Stick it in redrum's mom.

petegz28
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
how holds some of you peoples dick while you pee

I though that's what cheap hookers are for? :hmmm:

wutamess
07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Speaking of your deck... how'd it go with your friend that didn't know what the hell he was doing?

Bugeater
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh jeez, stain it yourself. You can't possibly hurt yourself with a brush.

petegz28
07-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Speaking of your deck... how'd it go with your friend that didn't know what the hell he was doing?

We are still friends, I have a new deck and he didn't buil dit so all in all it came out ok I'd say.

petegz28
07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Oh jeez, stain it yourself. You can't possibly hurt yourself with a brush.

LOL I know...but truthfully we are actually very busy over the next few weeks so it's a matter of convenience too.

DeezNutz
07-23-2008, 09:36 PM
LOL I know...but truthfully we are actually very busy over the next few weeks so it's a matter of convenience too.

45 minutes passed from when you started this thread and when you posted your last response. In that time, you could have finished half the deck. Seriously.

Phobia
07-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Anyhow 14x14 cedar deck. Looking to get it done like really soon or you will have plants and crap to deal with otherwise cause the landscaping starts soon.

Had a small accident with the power washer so wife is hinting she doesn't want me to stain the deck. Probably not her worst idea.

It's worth it. In fact, I have a cancellation Friday afternoon. I can send a crew out and have it done that fast.

Send me an email phil at edgewoodconstruction.com

Phobia
07-23-2008, 09:39 PM
45 minutes passed from when you started this thread and when you posted your last response. In that time, you could have finished half the deck. Seriously.

What about the hours upon hours it would take to do ballusters? Sure, decking goes fast but what do you do about those rails? You hire somebody with an airless sprayer.

Skip Towne
07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
What about the hours upon hours it would take to do ballusters? Sure, decking goes fast but what do you do about those rails? You hire somebody with an airless sprayer.

Just make sure you warn your paint crew that the deck is uneven and they may trip. I read somewhere they were trying to sand it back level.

petegz28
07-23-2008, 09:49 PM

I have aluminum and I get the sarcasm. I am just not handy with this sort of stuff.

petegz28
07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
It's worth it. In fact, I have a cancellation Friday afternoon. I can send a crew out and have it done that fast.

Send me an email phil at edgewoodconstruction.com

Coo, I'm off Friday too. I will shoot you an e-mail in the morning.

DeezNutz
07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
I have aluminum and I get the sarcasm. I am just not handy with this sort of stuff.

Do you brush your teeth? :D

DeezNutz
07-23-2008, 09:52 PM

:LOL:

petegz28
07-23-2008, 10:01 PM

Actually I couldn't cause I just powerwashed it yesterday and it is still drying out. Seriously though I have been real busy with family and work. My house is a mess, the deck has been a mess (figuratively speaking) my ac blew out, my dryer craped out, wife had a flat tire, and now my neighbor erected a 10ft portable sun I mean lamp post in their yard and it is bright as all hell and I am probably stuck buying a tree to block the damn thing. On top of that I have tickets to the ball game both Friday and Saturday, my wife's aunt is in town, we have to go to a mass Sunday thats in memory of my deceased mother in law and then back to her brothers for a shin dig. I got the landscapers coming out Wednesday which I just found out about that yesterday and I figure it would be easier to get the stain done before that happens. So it's somewhat a matter of convenience as well. Will it cost me? Sure. Am I being lazy? Probably. Do I give a fug at this point? Hardly. o:-)

petegz28
07-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Do you brush your teeth? :D

I have a sonicare...lol. Seriously, I am all thumbs with this type of shit. I could barely draw a straight line in art class...you got me? I almost flunked woodshop.....get my drift? Me being a handyman is like Mr. Rogers in the UFC....it just isn't going to happen.

FAX
07-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe it's just me, but if I needed my dick stained, I think I would do it myself in the privacy of my own home, Mr. petegz28.

FAX

RJ
07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Hypothetically......and I'm really just curious here......if you had originally hired a reputable contractor would/could this whole deal have been done months ago, including having it sealed? Or is sealing a deck be an extra step that the homeowner normally does? I've never had a deck built but am considering it and would prefer to avoid the pratfalls.

petegz28
07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Hypothetically......and I'm really just curious here......if you had originally hired a reputable contractor would/could this whole deal have been done months ago, including having it sealed? Or is sealing a deck be an extra step that the homeowner normally does? I've never had a deck built but am considering it and would prefer to avoid the pratfalls.

The deck builder did not do staining and sealing. And technically you need to wait a while after the deck is built to let the wood dry out.

RJ
07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Maybe it's just me, but if I needed my dick stained, I think I would do it myself in the privacy of my own home, Mr. petegz28.

FAX

I considered staining my dick in private but ultimately opted for having it tie-dyed at the neighborhood laundromat. It's cool, I wear it with a nehru jacket and a peace sign medallion.

RJ
07-23-2008, 10:15 PM
The deck builder did not do staining and sealing. And technically you need to wait a while after the deck is built to let the wood dry out.

Makes sense. I was just wondering.

Fish
07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
14x14? If you don't stain it yourself you deserve to be kicked in the nuts.

alanm
07-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Actually I couldn't cause I just powerwashed it yesterday and it is still drying out. Seriously though I have been real busy with family and work. My house is a mess, the deck has been a mess (figuratively speaking) my ac blew out, my dryer craped out, wife had a flat tire, and now my neighbor erected a 10ft portable sun I mean lamp post in their yard and it is bright as all hell and I am probably stuck buying a tree to block the damn thing. On top of that I have tickets to the ball game both Friday and Saturday, my wife's aunt is in town, we have to go to a mass Sunday thats in memory of my deceased mother in law and then back to her brothers for a shin dig. I got the landscapers coming out Wednesday which I just found out about that yesterday and I figure it would be easier to get the stain done before that happens. So it's somewhat a matter of convenience as well. Will it cost me? Sure. Am I being lazy? Probably. Do I give a fug at this point? Hardly. o:-)
Wow!!... Shoot the neighbor's light out and don't let the dog bite you.

RJ
07-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Suburban angst. I think most of us can relate, even if we'd prefer not to admit it.

Phobia
07-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Treated lumber has to dry but I generally stain/seal my cedar decks. Honestly though, your best value is a composite deck system. If your idea of maintenance is hosing your deck off then buy composite. Otherwise you'll need to seal it every couple years (which nobody does) or reduce the life of the deck. I'm probably taking money out of my pocket by doing it (assuming I keep a client for life) but I'd honestly rather you spent your extra money on cool remodeling projects rather than rebuilding a deck 4 or 5x in your lifetime.

petegz28
07-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Suburban angst. I think most of us can relate, even if we'd prefer not to admit it.

No kidding.

NewChief
07-24-2008, 07:13 AM
I know this isn't helpful at all, but staining a deck is the kind of job my dad would give to us kids when were were like 8 years old.

petegz28
07-24-2008, 07:56 AM
I know this isn't helpful at all, but staining a deck is the kind of job my dad would give to us kids when were were like 8 years old.

You're right, it isn't. As I said earlier it is more about time than doing it myself. Having the time to do it myself before the landscaping is done is probably not going to happen.

gblowfish
07-24-2008, 07:58 AM
In suburbia a man is measured by the size of his deck.

DeezNutz
07-24-2008, 08:10 AM

Just flippin you shit. :)

petegz28
07-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Just flippin you shit. :)

I know, and probably deserved in this case. I know I'm sporting a big fat vagina on this whole thing but oh well.

Redrum_69
07-24-2008, 08:20 AM
phobia does a helluva job from what i hear

RJ
07-24-2008, 10:38 AM

When my dad made me stain the deck I pretended it was really fun and not a chore at all. Then, when the neighborhood kids would walk by I'd trick them into giving me stuff like their marbles and baseball cards in exchange for having a turn at deck staining until the deck was completely finished.

I was a mischievous and cunning little scamp but generally well meaning and thoughtful.

DeezNutz
07-24-2008, 10:40 AM
When my dad made me stain the deck I pretended it was really fun and not a chore at all. Then, when the neighborhood kids would walk by I'd trick them into giving me stuff like their marbles and baseball cards in exchange for having a turn at deck staining until the deck was completely finished.

I was a mischievous and cunning little scamp but generally well meaning and thoughtful.

Ok, Tom Sawyer.

RJ
07-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Never heard of him.

el borracho
07-24-2008, 11:01 AM
I considered staining my dick in private but ultimately opted for having it tie-dyed at the neighborhood laundromat. It's cool, I wear it with a nehru jacket and a peace sign medallion.

I should like to see you, FAX and Donger brought together at a cocktail party sometime. The sophisticated nonsense would be priceless.

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 11:04 AM
As much time as Pete has spent posting about this he could have stained that deck 3 times.

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 11:12 AM

Anyhow 14in dick. Looking to get it done like really soon or you will have plants and crap to deal with otherwise cause the manscaping starts soon.

Had a small accident with the power washer so wife is hinting she doesn't want suck the dick. Probably her worst idea.

petegz28
07-24-2008, 11:16 AM

Anyhow 14in dick. Looking to get it done like really soon or you will have plants and crap to deal with otherwise cause the manscaping starts soon.

Had a small accident with the power washer so wife is hinting she doesn't want suck the dick. Probably her worst idea.

it's 14 1/2" buddy.

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
heh.

petegz28
07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
heh.

Yea, leaves you rather speechless I know.... :D

DeezNutz
07-24-2008, 11:26 AM
it's 14 1/2" buddy.

The extra 1/2" because of the Olathe factor? That place is ****ing amazing.

petegz28
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
The extra 1/2" because of the Olathe factor? That place is ****ing amazing.

Damn right it is. :clap: