PDA

View Full Version : Pictures Unwanted Balls to the Face, Gay Friendly?

Baby Lee
07-24-2008, 06:57 AM
http://gawker.com/5027779/does-nike-hate-gays-or-do-gays-hate-basketball

http://gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/07/nikead.jpeg

1. These ads do indeed depict what is widely considered to be the most humiliating possible thing that can happen to someone on a basketball court.

2. That humiliation arises from the balls-in-face aspect of the dunk, meaning it is fundamentally a homophobic sentiment. At least subconsciously.

3. Nike's ad placement shows they're appealing to a very specific basketball player/ fan demographic. It's doubtful they'd use this same ad campaign for the general public, without some tweaks.

What bullshit. Is the author seriously making the point that, to not be homophobic, you not only have to applaud balls to the face, but balls to the face of a sports opponent who is ostensibly not a potential sex partner in the course of competition?

KC Kings
07-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Okay, here's my chance the open lane. Don't get nervous. Don't sweat.
Everyon's watching, you can do it, man.
I mean, just dribble up. Don't double dribble. Just dribble normal.
Don't show everyone that you can dribble super fast between your legs,
like you do in your driveway.
No, this is in front of people on the court.
I'm gonna go up in the air,
I'm gonna dunk it as hard I can.
`Cause usually, I'm on the other end, people dunking on me.
I'm used to some 7 foot dude's "thingy" getting smacked in my face.
I still got the bruise to prove it. But I ain't gonna take that
nickname "Dick Bruiseface" lying down
My name ain't Dick Bruiseface!!

DJay23
07-24-2008, 07:10 AM
I like the, "very specific demographic part." And who would that narrow demographic be Nancy, heterosexual men? Boy Nike's really stretching on that one.

Baby Lee
07-24-2008, 07:26 AM
I like the, "very specific demographic part." And who would that narrow demographic be Nancy, heterosexual men? Boy Nike's really stretching on that one.

I think it's about the posters being plastered in an [ahem] urban, . . environment.

Fairplay
07-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Claythan has a new desktop picture now.