PDA

View Full Version : News Money magazine ranks Lee's Summit 7th in the nation

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Money magazine ranks Lee's Summit
R-7 School District seventh in nation

The Lee's Summit R-7 School District was ranked No. 7 among school districts throughout the nation in Money magazine's annual issue focusing on "America's Best Places to Live" (small cities listing). The City of Lee's Summit ranked 79th among the 100 towns listed in "America's Best Small Cities."

In the magazine's August 2008 issue, small cities were displayed with a No. 1 and a No. 2 noting the attribute where each city scored highest. Lee's Summit scored highest in "education" and second highest in "jobs/economy."

"We are pleased to not only see Lee's Summit make the top 100 small cities list but to also have the Lee's Summit R-7 School District named as the seventh best in the nation as part of this ranking," said Dr. David McGehee, R-7 School District superintendent. "This recognition reflects both our quality school district and the outstanding support we receive from parents and citizens. We are grateful for the value our community places on its children and schools."

Test scores used in the education ranking are from GreatSchools and represent the percent by which the school district's math and communication arts scores fall above or below the state's average scores. The R-7 School District has been recognized by the state for the past seven years with the Distinction In Performance Award, the state's highest award for academic achievement. The R-7 School District is also among a handful of districts in the state to earn a perfect score on criteria for this award during all seven years the recognition has been available. In addition, R-7 students consistently score above state and national norms on all tests, including the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) tests and ACT college-entrance tests.

The magazine's top 100 small cities list began with a study of 716 cities with populations ranging from 50,000 to 300,000. In the magazine article, Lee's Summit was praised for its "award-winning schools," health care, John Knox Village retirement community, downtown renovation and three large recreational lakes. For more detailed information on the Money magazine "Best Places to Live" ranking, visit http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL2941348.html (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL2941348.html).

jidar
07-24-2008, 07:33 AM
as a rural guy I look at this list and I kind of scratch my head. They call it a 'small city', but it's packed right up against the greater KC area so what's the difference? I'm in SEK and around here we think of every town up there as "Kansas City" and we can't tell where one stops and another begins.

phisherman
07-24-2008, 07:34 AM
it should be ranked that well with as much as i pay in property taxes.

KC Kings
07-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I am glad to see LS get some love, but not all of the stats used are equal across the board.

For example, Liberty has Reading Test Scores 50.5% above state average and Math 40.2% above the state average, (highest in metro). You go to Olathe they are "only" 12.5% and 12.8% above state average. If there rankings are based on % above the state average, then the MO side has a slight advantage, with the big KCMO school district lowering the average with -21% and -28.9%.

Air quality doesn't make sense either. Leawood has a 92.9% air quality index, yet 5 miles away in Grandview the AQI is 68.2%.

FTR, if you go to the site and compare Liberty to the "small cities" around the metro we have the highest rated schools, tied for lowest personal crime, 3rd lowest property crime, lowest property tax, tied for least amount of fat people (no thanks to me), and tied for lowest diabetes. :)

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 08:05 AM
it should be ranked that well with as much as i pay in property taxes.
I'm paying $3,100 a year in property taxes. What are you paying?

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 10:02 AM
as a rural guy I look at this list and I kind of scratch my head. They call it a 'small city', but it's packed right up against the greater KC area so what's the difference? I'm in SEK and around here we think of every town up there as "Kansas City" and we can't tell where one stops and another begins.
Think of Lee's Summit as the Johnson County of Missouri. Lots of high end housing, Chief players live here. Applebees, Steak and Shake and every other standard suburban retail store is here.

phisherman
07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm paying $3,100 a year in property taxes. What are you paying?

too much, but i guess it could be worse, greenwood seems to be get bent over more than we do.

Dartgod
07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Lee's Summit was a great place to live 20 years ago. Now it's full of a bunch of Johnson County, KS wannabees.

Frazod
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Naperville is No. 3. :thumb:

penguinz
07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Lee's Summit was a great place to live 20 years ago. Now it's full of a bunch of Johnson County, KS wannabees.We have the highest sales tax in the metro!

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 11:06 AM
The Lees Summit School system is why I moved my family here. My son LOVES his school, plus we are less than one mile from Legacy Park which is a phenomenal baseball facility. So my kid wins.

Plus, I like being a beacon of KU light in the dark forest of MUrondom.

phisherman
07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
you're no beacon. there are legions of beaker fans here. i'm surprised you turds don't have some kind of radar for it.

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
OH, im a BEAK'in.

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 11:18 AM
The Lees Summit School system is why I moved my family here. My son LOVES his school, plus we are less than one mile from Legacy Park which is a phenomenal baseball facility. So my kid wins.

Plus, I like being a beacon of KU light in the dark forest of MUrondom.

You live in Missouri? Turn in your Jayhawk card.

petegz28
07-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Yea well, Lee's Summit still gets ice storms and tornadoes......now Olathe on the other hand..... ROFL

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
You live in Missouri? Turn in your Jayhawk card.

Its all for the kids man. Both of which are 'Hawk fans... so all is well in the universe.