PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports My daughters great swing

jidar
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
This is a post about my daughters great softball ability. If you can't stand people talking about their kids (which I perfectly understand, I was a bachelor once) you don't want to be here.

The season just ended and I already miss it, but I just wanted to brag. :)

My daughter is 14 and has played girls fast pitch for 4 years now and it's been great. She turned out to be a natural hitter and has batted 3rd for most of the teams she's played on. Last weekend the situation was 5th inning, we're down 4 to 1, 2 runners on base and my daughter came to the plate and hit an in-park HR to tie and swing momentum, we won 7 to 5 at the end of the 6th. :) what a great feeling

Anyway, she's hit like that all season, great avg, obp and tons of power (I kept track during one tourney and she hit had over 1200 slugging and over 650 avg. For 7 games in one tourney). Thing is she's a small girl so her batting is all technique and bat speed.

Check it out:

http://uranus.ckt.net/~bmcclen/britt/britstance.jpg
http://uranus.ckt.net/~bmcclen/britt/britswing.jpg
http://uranus.ckt.net/~bmcclen/britt/britswing2.jpg

Sorry for this blatant ego post, but I just wanted to tell someone.

Demonpenz
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
When does she turn 18? mmmm

Dartgod
07-24-2008, 11:42 AM
When does she turn 18? mmmm
LMAO

You knew that was coming.

QuikSsurfer
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/the813cutie/Clip%20Art/HelloNurse.jpg

Demonpenz
07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
wtf QS haha. I say that every day for hot girls. Now I know where I get it from

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
She swings like a girl.

RJ
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
She looks like a hitter up there. Nice, balanced stance. I can see where she'd generate good power.

I sure hope my 5 y/o likes playing softball or basketball. I'll live through it if she doesn't but I'd rather she did.

CoMoChief
07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Softball isn't a sport.

Sign her up for cheerleading.

Pablo
07-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Softball isn't a sport.

Sign her up for cheerleading.Oh snap.

jidar
07-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Softball isn't a sport.

Sign her up for cheerleading.

lol. Her mom asked her once if she had any interest in cheerleading and she said "No, that's what girls do who are bad at sports."

She also starts for her school Basketball, and Volleyball teams.

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Congrats jidar... it is fun to see your offspring excel at whatever they put their mind to.

My son who is 6.5 SMASHED a huge triple the other day in Coach pitch. He smashed it out into the outfield grass farther than any of the kids had all year.

He stood and watched it like he was Manny Ramirez or something. He would have had a homerun if he had ran.

Funny. I was quite proud of the lil slugger.

DeezNutz
07-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Given this thread's title, I was expecting a torrid account of how your married, 20-something daughter had greatly discredited your family name, much to the pleasure of the greater Planet community.

CosmicPal
07-24-2008, 12:12 PM
That's weird.

Right in the middle of her swing, the people in the background disappear.

And then they're back during her follow-through.

:eek:

jidar
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
That's weird.

Right in the middle of her swing, the people in the background disappear.

And then they're back during her follow-through.

:eek:

It's two different at bats. The photographer wasn't taking them fast enough to get that many pictures of a single swing. They all look exactly the same though.

markk
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
i was a great hitter in the junior high days.

now i sit in an office under fluorescent lights all day and damn the amsterdam hore who cost me everything.

CosmicPal
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
It's two different at bats. The photographer wasn't taking them fast enough to get that many pictures of a single swing. They all look exactly the same though.

I figured that...I was only kidding.

jidar
07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I figured that...I was only kidding.

haha I know. Im one of those dumbasses who always has to be literal...

CoMoChief
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
lol. Her mom asked her once if she had any interest in cheerleading and she said "No, that's what girls do who are bad at sports."

She also starts for her school Basketball, and Volleyball teams.

Volleyball is an exception.

But if I had a daughter I don't think I could bare watching a bunch of girls TRYING to play sports.

Deberg_1990
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Im a little disappointed in this thread. I thought it was going to be all about one of these:

Simply Red
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Congrats jidar... it is fun to see your offspring excel at whatever they put their mind to.

My son who is 6.5 SMASHED a huge triple the other day in Coach pitch. He smashed it out into the outfield grass farther than any of the kids had all year.

He stood and watched it like he was Manny Ramirez or something. He would have had a homerun if he had ran.

Oh, PUHLEEZE!STFU

Simply Red
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
:)

Fairplay
07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Picture 2 is out of sequence with pic 1 and 3.

Look at the people in the background. Also the shadows are a different angle.

I throw a challenge flag.

seclark
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Picture 2 is out of sequence with pic 1 and 3.

Look at the people in the background. Also the shadows are a different angle.

I throw a challenge flag.

i'm throwing a "you didn't read the entire thread" flag.
sec

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Like Barney Fife's fast draw, her swing has never been successfully photographed.

ChiefsFire
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Shes got nice cankles.

Demonpenz
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Im a little disappointed in this thread. I thought it was going to be all about one of these:

A sex swing? Gross

RJ
07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Note to self: Do not post pictures of daughter on Planet.

svuba
07-24-2008, 01:15 PM

If your son is 6'5" I think you should move him out of coach pitch now.
Its not fair to the other kids.

sedated
07-24-2008, 01:20 PM
what cup size is she?

Fat Elvis
07-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Volleyball is an exception.

But if I had a daughter I don't think I could bare watching a bunch of girls TRYING to play sports.

I'd like to see any of your boys TRY to beat my daughter in a sport. She runs like the wind and has eye/hand coordination that I can only dream about.

Better yet, I'd like to see them TRY to beat her in a fight. It is pretty funny watching her make boys 4-6 years older than her CRY when sparring in TKD--and that is with protective gear.

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
If your son is 6'5" I think you should move him out of coach pitch now.
Its not fair to the other kids.

HAhah ahah

6 and 1/2 years old.

Redrum_69
07-24-2008, 01:48 PM
repost

LocoChiefsFan
07-24-2008, 07:32 PM
The $300.00 bat helps too. My daughters 9-10 yr old team just finished in 1st place with a record of 14-1. Awesome feeling.

keg in kc
07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Good god, I've seen it all now. A thread on the planet about a 14-year old swinger.

BigMeatballDave
07-24-2008, 08:18 PM
:D The kid at bat, BTW...

Mosbonian
07-24-2008, 08:19 PM
jidar:

Since the rest of these yahoos can't appreciate the mechanics of a good softball swing, I will help you.

You should be proud....she has a good solid stance with and the bat is held in the perfect position for the recoil. If you follow the whole swing you can see she extends her arms, and manages to roll the wrist over which means she is setting herself up to hit line drives or ground balls. When the wrist gets under the bat, 90% of the time you have a pop fly.

mmaddog

jidar
07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
jidar:

Since the rest of these yahoos can't appreciate the mechanics of a good softball swing, I will help you.

You should be proud....she has a good solid stance with and the bat is held in the perfect position for the recoil. If you follow the whole swing you can see she extends her arms, and manages to roll the wrist over which means she is setting herself up to hit line drives or ground balls. When the wrist gets under the bat, 90% of the time you have a pop fly.

mmaddog

Thanks. I actually don't know too much about swinging a bat as I never played so the advice is really appreciated.

jidar
07-25-2008, 08:19 AM
The $300.00 bat helps too. My daughters 9-10 yr old team just finished in 1st place with a record of 14-1. Awesome feeling.

Yeah I actually bought her a $30 bat but she uses that one instead, it's a friends bat. I've read a little bit about it and maybe it does help some to have a high dollar bat so I might get her one for next season if she wants it enough.

Phobia
07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Yeah I actually bought her a $30 bat but she uses that one instead, it's a friends bat. I've read a little bit about it and maybe it does help some to have a high dollar bat so I might get her one for next season if she wants it enough.

Indeed it does help. But she has good fundamentals as well.

Demonpenz
07-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Do they use minus bats in softball or are they illegal? I wish college baseball would go towards wood bats. When I was getting up there i remember you could be bats that were 34 inches 28 oz they since only allow like -3 but you obvouisly you crush the bats that were longer and lighter. Next point, did a coach want her right arm tucked down like that? Most coaches will have you raise that elbow for power, but I never thought that was a big deal. As in most sports you think you are using your arms and upper body but what creates all your power is your his, ass, and legs. I would say as long as she is balanced and get get through the zone i don't care about the exact stance.

jidar
07-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Do they use minus bats in softball or are they illegal? I wish college baseball would go towards wood bats. When I was getting up there i remember you could be bats that were 34 inches 28 oz they since only allow like -3 but you obvouisly you crush the bats that were longer and lighter. Next point, did a coach want her right arm tucked down like that? Most coaches will have you raise that elbow for power, but I never thought that was a big deal. As in most sports you think you are using your arms and upper body but what creates all your power is your his, ass, and legs. I would say as long as she is balanced and get get through the zone i don't care about the exact stance.

I have no idea what the regulations are. I know she uses a 33/28 right now.

I've spent most of the last day reading about swinging styles and philosophies and I've come to think that she's doing exactly what she should be with her elbow. I found a really great blog that seems to cut through most of the BS and go right down to what actually works and what successful major league hitters are doing that we should all be copying. He bases most of his philosophies on a simple frame by frame analysis of highspeed video of major league hitters.

Check it out: http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/index.html

I was surprised by how many things I've heard coaches saying over the past few years that are apparently wrong (or at least they aren't what major league hitters are actually doing), squishing the bug, level swing, power-v, etc.. etc...

Anyway after reading that entire site and comparing my daughters videos and photos to what I see I'm convinced she's just a natural rotational hitter with great natural mechanics. Keeping that elbow in and cocked 90 degrees through her swing maintains good connection and is precisely what she should be doing all the way through contact.

Demonpenz
07-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah it's pretty flipping stupid, but I hear all the time, granted it is not like pro coaches to put that elbow up. I used to have my hands close to my body like that but often i got tied up, but for softball you want those quick hands so that looks fine. Major league equiv to Grudz for the royals, or the fastest hands I have seen paul molonter I would probably just stick to softball swings only though (even though I am not) the game really is so different.

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Good god, I've seen it all now. A thread on the planet about a 14-year old swinger.

LMAO

Demonpenz
07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah there is alot of ways to swings. I would throw most of it out of the window exept for a snap shop of the way you look when the pitch is delivered the point of impact and follow through. When I was young it was all about stepping towards the pitcher extending the arms, elbow up, now most guys want you to have little or no stride at all.

jidar
07-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah it's pretty flipping stupid, but I hear all the time, granted it is not like pro coaches to put that elbow up. I used to have my hands close to my body like that but often i got tied up, but for softball you want those quick hands so that looks fine. Major league equiv to Grudz for the royals, or the fastest hands I have seen paul molonter I would probably just stick to softball swings only though (even though I am not) the game really is so different.

oh.. well the website I listed is about Major League Baseball swings. His analysis are all based on video of guys like Pujols and Griffey JR.
I wonder if there are things about fastpitch softball that demand changes in the swing but based on what I've seen of my daughter I don't think so. Her style matches the one the guy on that site is espousing pretty well. I think it requires a different eye because fp softball pitches don't fall (and sometimes rise) whereas baseball pitches drop, but I think the power mechanics are the same at the strike zone.

Check out his swing analyses
http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/ProfessionalHitterAnalyses/index.html

LocoChiefsFan
07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Here's my 9 year old. I'm told she has great form. She still has the right elbow up knees bent, stance. I'm pretty proud of her. Jidar, I hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u128/EKnMO/DSC00026.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u128/EKnMO/DSC00030.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u128/EKnMO/DSC00031-1.jpg

Mosbonian
07-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I have no idea what the regulations are. I know she uses a 33/28 right now.

I've spent most of the last day reading about swinging styles and philosophies and I've come to think that she's doing exactly what she should be with her elbow. I found a really great blog that seems to cut through most of the BS and go right down to what actually works and what successful major league hitters are doing that we should all be copying. He bases most of his philosophies on a simple frame by frame analysis of highspeed video of major league hitters.

Check it out: http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/index.html

I was surprised by how many things I've heard coaches saying over the past few years that are apparently wrong (or at least they aren't what major league hitters are actually doing), squishing the bug, level swing, power-v, etc.. etc...

Anyway after reading that entire site and comparing my daughters videos and photos to what I see I'm convinced she's just a natural rotational hitter with great natural mechanics. Keeping that elbow in and cocked 90 degrees through her swing maintains good connection and is precisely what she should be doing all the way through contact.

Funny thing is that some of the best hitters in baseball (George Brett and Rod Carew to name a couple) had stances that went against most philosophies.

Just a couple of comments about a "baseball" swing vs. a "softball" swing....first and foremost is the speed of the pitched ball. When you are swinging at a 90 MPH fastball you can do most of the work with bat speed and your wrists, strength and power have little to nothing to do with it. For a point of reference, one of the hardest hit HR's I have seen in my life was by one of the skinniest Royals player ever, Amos Otis. I am sure all of you that are old Royals fans can remember the HR he hit to dead centerfield that hit the top of the flag pole that set on top of the hill still on the way up!

Whereas in softball, all of the distance and speed of the ball is directly relevant to the pure power you put behind your swing, which is derived from your stride and your "drive thru the ball" mechanics.

It's just like I said in my first post....you should be proud. She seems well-balanced (proper feet width), her bat is positioned for max recoil, and her follow-thru with the "wrist-over" shows she drives the ball.

mmaddog