PDA

View Full Version : News Judge Renames Nine Year Old Child

Joie
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080724/ap_on_re_au_an/new_zealand_bizarre_names_1

Thu Jul 24, 5:41 AM ET

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with parents giving their children bizarre names here, and did something about it.

Just ask Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He had her renamed.

Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed, he said in a ruling made public Thursday. The girl was involved in a custody battle, he said.

The new name was not made public to protect the girl's privacy.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead, the girl's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court.

In his ruling, Murfitt cited a list of the unfortunate names.

Registration officials blocked some names, including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. But others were allowed, including Number 16 Bus Shelter "and tragically, Violence," he said.

New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them about the potential for embarrassment.

Stinger
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080724/ap_on_re_au_an/new_zealand_bizarre_names_1

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

A social disability??????
:doh!:

How..... I don't know how he......This totally ..... Oh **** it..... :mad: :grr: :shake:

Joie
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I know. What about nicknames?

And who the hell names their child "Talula does the hula in Hawaii" anyway? (They could have just called her Talula...that's unique enough)

Demonpenz
07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Please.... call me by my real name "spread eagle"

Stinger
07-24-2008, 12:33 PM

And who the hell names their child "Talula does the hula in Hawaii" anyway? (They could have just called her Talula...that's unique enough)

Bruce Willis and Demi Moore might sue for naming rights?? :shrug:

Joie
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Bruce Willis and Demi Moore might sue for naming rights?? :shrug:

I thought their daughter was named Talula Belle....might be ok if you leave the "Belle" off :hmmm:

InChiefsHell
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I do think it's stupid that people name their kids some of the most ridiculous names you can think of, but if that's what they want to call their kid...:shrug:

Baby Lee
07-24-2008, 01:48 PM

It's no worst than Mercedes Crimefighter, or Pilot Inspektor.

I'd have loved to have been named Trout Fishing in America.

Dartgod
07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
My parents named me and my siblings after what they saw out the window. My sister got "Snow Gently Falling", my brother "Fierce Wind" and I got stuck with "Two Dogs ****ing".

:sulk:

bluehawkdoc
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I delivered a baby once that the parents named Dragon. I assumed that this was one of those strange pronounciations like "Dragone". The dad said, "no, it's like Dungeons & Dragons only there is just one of them..... Not much else to say about that except gene pool, gene pool, gene pool.

Demonpenz
07-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I delivered a baby once that the parents named Dragon. I assumed that this was one of those strange pronounciations like "Dragone". The dad said, "no, it's like Dungeons & Dragons only there is just one of them..... Not much else to say about that except gene pool, gene pool, gene pool.

trogdor-dragon?

JuicesFlowing
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
What about all of those kids named ESPN ... I'll gladly name my next child (insert corporate monster here) for a shitload of cash. Oh wait, this has already happened I bet.

BigRock
07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Next up, hopefully the judge will do something about poor little Cooper Takes It In The Pooper.

Phobia
07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm naming my 4th daughter due in 2 months; "Daddy Wanted a Boy".

DaFace
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
My parents named me and my siblings after what they saw out the window. My sister got "Snow Gently Falling", my brother "Fierce Wind" and I got stuck with "Two Dogs ****ing".

:sulk:

If I were feeling more mischievous today...

InChiefsHell
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM

ROFLROFL

Fish
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
trogdor-dragon?

Burninating the coutryside!! Burninating the peasants!!!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7122/trogdordb0.jpg

petegz28
07-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Dude it could be worse.. I shit you not about the following names, I knew them all for real...

Sharon Cox
Richard Long Sr.
Richard Ling Jr. A.K.A. Dicky Long
Harry Jonhson Sr.
Harry Johnson Jr.

Given the above names, Bus Shelter is not so bad.

Jenson71
07-24-2008, 04:52 PM
We know someone named "Abcde"

Pronouced Ab-sah-dee

Joie
07-24-2008, 05:03 PM

I'm lucky that's not my name. I'm my father's third daughter, and apparently he referred to me by boy pronouns throughout the pregnancy. Two years later they had my younger brother and my poor dad called him "it" the entire time mom was pregnant. I think he was afraid he'd jinx himself if he got his hopes up.

Duck Dog
07-24-2008, 05:09 PM
My buddies wife teaches in Minneapolis and she had a set of twins named (spelled)Lemonjello and Orangejello. Pronounced, LeMongelo and Orongelo

LiL stumppy
07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
What about all of those kids named ESPN ... I'll gladly name my next child (insert corporate monster here) for a shitload of cash. Oh wait, this has already happened I bet.

I could live with the name ESPN (Espin)

Valiant
07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Some of those are wierd.. Of course I will fit in when I have a boy.. Loki or Achilles..

BigRock
07-24-2008, 05:25 PM
[ open on a married couple trying to think of a name for their unknown baby ]

Wife: I was thinking about Joseph.

Husband: [ turned off ] Joseph?

Wife: Yeah. Joseph.

Husband: Well.. it's a nice name, but the kids are gonna call him "Joe Blow". I mean, as long as you know that. Or "Sloppy Joe", you know.. "How are Mr. & Mrs. Schmo?"

Wife: Well, I guess that's true..

Husband: I mean, it's a nice name.

Wife: Well, that's alright. How about John? That's nice and simple.

Husband: What, are you serious?

Wife: Well, yeah.

Husband: John? You want to do that to the kid?

Wife: Do what?

Husband: [ mimicking ] "Hey, John! Hey, let's go to the john. Huh, John? Let's go!"

Wife: Well.. wouldn't he outgrow those jokes?

Husband: Look, kids are mean. I just want him to have a happy childhood, too.. but, "Long John Silver"? I mean, I don't know what to say!

Wife: Okay, okay, okay.. Well.. um.. what about Peter?

Husband: Oh, right. Sure. Peter. Let's just put him up for adoption right now, save the kid a lot of agony. I mean, obviously - no Peter, no Dick, no Rod! Can we just discuss this intelligently, please?

Wife: Yes, we can. [ thinking ] Okay.. um.. William.

Husband: William. Good. "Wee Willie!" "Chilly Willy!" "Willie Wonka! Hey! Where's your chocolate factory?! Oompa-Loompa" every day of his life!

Wife: Ddi you get teased a lot as a kid?

Husband: [ defensive ] No, I did not. Did you tease a lot of kids? Because, judging from these names you're picking, you don't seem to be very sensitive.

Wife: Okay, I'll just keep trying.. What about Fred?

Husband: [ sighing ] Please.. Fred, Frank.. the F's are no good. If he's fat, it's just a disaster.

Wife: Okay, alright. Um.. Sam?

Husband: Great. Sam. "Uncle Sam." "I want you.. to be ostracized!"

Wife: Then, let's Paul.

Husband: Right. Paul. "Hey, Paul, where's Peter and Mary?!"

Wife: What?

Husband: Peter, Paul and Mary. "Hey, Paul! Play me a folk song, and then I'll beat the crap out of you!

Wife: Well, at this point, I'd just settle for anything. How about.. Jack?

Husband: [ thinking ] Hmm.. yeah.. yeah, Jack's a fine name.

Wife: Really?

Husband: Oh, yeah.. as long as we make his middle name O'Lantern! Because that is what everyone's gonna call him!

Wife: Okay.. fine.. what about ben?

Husband: Ben! Oh, fine, we're giving birth to a big bear? Great! "Gentle Ben!" "Hey, Ben, where's Jerry? Get me some ice cream, or I'll beat the crap outta ya'!

Wife: We could call him "Benjamin".

Husband: Sure. Benjamin. Harrison! "Hey, Benjamin, how's that tariff coming?! Montana a state yet?!"

Wife: Well, what about.. Todd?

Husband: [ stretching for an excuse ] Todd.. Todd.. Tad! "Tadpole!" Our son's a tadpole! "Hey, Tadpole, I don't like you! Thank your parents!"

Wife: Now, come on, I said "Todd", not "Tad". You changed the name, that's cheating.

Husband: Yeah, and it took five seconds. It might take a kid ten.

Wife: [ sighing ] Okay.. what about Harry?

Husband: "Hey, Harry, where are the Hendersons?!"

Wife: Oh, come on! Nobody even saw that movie!

Husband: Kids saw it! Alright, one more.. come on, we can do it..

Wife: Alright. Um.. Nate.

Husband: "The Nate Rockne Story." "Hey, Nate, where's the Gipper?"

Wife: What?

Husband: [ pacing the room ] Na-ate! Na-ate! Do you like that sound? Well, you better get used to it! [ his wife walks across the room ] Hey, where are you going?

Wife: [ leafing through book ] I'm looking at this Baby Name book, I thought it could help us.. [ looking through book ] How about Bjaardker?

Husband: [ intrigued ] Oh?

Wife: Bjaardker. It's Icelandic.

Husband: [ considering ] Yeah.. that's a tough little name to crack. That could be good. [ puts his face up to his Wife's belly ] Hey, Bjaardker, little fellow. You might just have a good childhood, after all. [ Wife laughs ] Talk to you later.

Wife: I love you.

Husband: I love you. [ they kiss, as the doorbell rings ] You sit, honey.

Wife: Alright.

Husband: [ answering the door ] Yes?

Telegram Deliverer: Hi, how you doing? I've got a telegram here for a Mr. & Mrs. Asswipe Johnson. I'm supposed to read it. [ holds telegram ] "Dear Asswipe & Emily: Congratulations on your upcoming blessed event. All our love, Bob & Diane." Here you go, Sir. [ hands him the telegram ]

Husband: Uh.. listen.. that's "Os-wee-pay".

Telegram Deliverer: [ confused ] What?

Husband: Uh.. forget it, forget it.. [ closes the door and sits next to his wife ]

Wife: That was really nice of Bob and Diane.

Husband: [ sighs ] Yeah, but why do they have to mention my name so much?

Wife: Oh, honey..

[ fade ]

stumppy
07-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I could live with the name ESPN (Espin)

Still upset about being named after a dead dog ?

Pestilence
07-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I know of a person named:

Santa Glasscock

BWillie
07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
There is a guy that lives in South Carolina that goes by "Harry Dick". I imagine his real name is Harold Dick, but nonetheless, that is freaking hilarious. I've also seen some funny asian names. One that comes to mine is Sumdoum Bich or something like that.

Wasn't there also a basketball player a while that's first name was "God". That had to piss alot of people off. I bet some people would refuse to call him by his real name

Frazod
07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Bravo. The parents should also be sentenced to a good beating.

A few years ago I heard a story about a black woman in Chicago who named her child "Shithead." Seriously. Now the pronunciation was shy-THE-ad. But shy-THE-ad was spelled "Shithead."

IIRC, the mother claimed it was some sort of tribal name, and that the child would grow to be proud of it, and that anyone who thought otherwise was obviously a racist.

I remember discussing this with a guy who got fired from my office back in 2002, so by now poor little Shithead must be at least six and in school.

I can't even imagine how awful that must be. :shake: