PDA

View Full Version : Life Testing for Mold

R&GHomer
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Does anyone have experience testing for Mold and other shit in your house? I have never had allergies in my life, but ever since I moved into this rental house I have been feeling like crap. Congested all the time, coughing, sneezing, watering eyes the whole bit. I'm not one to complain, but this sucks. I've even started getting really bad sinus headaches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

One other thing. I noticed the other day that there are a bunch of yellow spots on the ceiling in the upstairs bathroom. They weren't there several weeks ago. It's almost like they were there already and it's coming through the paint. If that makes any sense.

Hydrae
07-24-2008, 12:37 PM
You can get test kits at the hardware store. Just set it up for a period of time then let it culture and see what grows.

R&GHomer
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
You can get test kits at the hardware store. Just set it up for a period of time then let it culture and see what grows.

Any idea how much they cost and how long it takes.

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Phobia probably has a mold-o-meter. He's got everything out in his garage.

Mr. Plow
07-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Be careful with mold. It can be dangerous to your health. I haven't dealt with it personally, but have talked with a lot of people that have.

If it were me, I'd have a professional come out and test.

penguinz
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
One other thing. I noticed the other day that there are a bunch of yellow spots on the ceiling in the upstairs bathroom. They weren't there several weeks ago. It's almost like they were there already and it's coming through the paint. If that makes any sense.Sounds like an orgy went on down there.

FAX
07-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Sounds like mold, all right, Mr. R&GHomer. And, before you say anything, I know that mold doesn't make a noise. I'm just saying "sounds like" because the splotches on the ceiling you described using your keyboard are indicative of a mold problem. If you have allergies (or even if you don't), home mold can be a very serious problem affecting one's biotherms, auto-immune system, and other important things. Maybe you have a plumbing or roof leak?

I know that there are companies who specialize in ridding domiciles of mold and fungi and stuff. I don't know how much they cost, though. Would your landlord cover the expense?

FAX

Hydrae
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Any idea how much they cost and how long it takes.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100628956&navFlow=3&keyword=mold+test+kit&langId=-1&searchRedirect=mold+test+kit&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%4057464069&ddkey=Search

$9.97
To Use: Mix and gel for 20 minutes, expose for 60 minutes and read in 48-96 hours.
Optional Mail-In Lab Anaysis from accredited lab tells you the type of mold you have.

R&GHomer
07-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Sounds like mold, all right, Mr. R&GHomer. And, before you say anything, I know that mold doesn't make a noise. I'm just saying "sounds like" because the splotches on the ceiling you described using your keyboard are indicative of a mold problem. If you have allergies (or even if you don't), home mold can be a very serious problem affecting one's biotherms, auto-immune system, and other important things. Maybe you have a plumbing or roof leak?

I know that there are companies who specialize in ridding domiciles of mold and fungi and stuff. I don't know how much they cost, though. Would your landlord cover the expense?

FAX

There may have been a roof problem in the past, the house is pretty old. I'm going to check with my landlord tonight and see what he says. My fiance called a company and they're wanting $425.00 to come out and take samples. Seems a little pricey to me

R&GHomer
07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100628956&navFlow=3&keyword=mold+test+kit&langId=-1&searchRedirect=mold+test+kit&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%4057464069&ddkey=Search

$9.97
To Use: Mix and gel for 20 minutes, expose for 60 minutes and read in 48-96 hours.
Optional Mail-In Lab Anaysis from accredited lab tells you the type of mold you have.

Thanks, I'll pick up a few of them.

Mr. Plow
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
There may have been a roof problem in the past, the house is pretty old. I'm going to check with my landlord tonight and see what he says. My fiance called a company and they're wanting $425.00 to come out and take samples. Seems a little pricey to me

I should have said that it's probably not cheap to go with the professionals, but depending on the type of mold, it may be worth it.

FAX
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Dang, Mr. R&GHomer. It does sound as though they're a little too proud of their sample taking expertise.

Good luck with the landlord. My advice is, during the conversation, casually use the term "death trap" a few times.

FAX

bishop_74
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.homemoldtestkit.com/store/index.php?main_page=compare_mold_kits

Mr. Plow
07-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Not sure who you called - but you could try a local ServiceMaster. They do mold testing. Not sure what they charge though.

Hydrae
07-24-2008, 01:42 PM
http://www.homemoldtestkit.com/store/index.php?main_page=compare_mold_kits

Think it means anything that 2 people from Austin know about mold test kits? Hehe