PDA

View Full Version : Football Money off NFL Package

smittysbar
07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I called Directv yesterday, to tell them to take the NFL Package off of my account. I was going to cancel my whole sudscription then, get the new install, equip, and deals. They transferred me to a lady that tried to convince me of keeping it. I kept telling her, no. She then said that she would throw in the "SuperFan" for free. I told her no I don't think so. She then said she would give me $10 off a month for six months and the superfan if I would keep it......I then gave in. She basically gave me $160 worth of free shit, had to take it. I still need to upgrade though.

Just looking over SuperFan, seems pretty cool
SuperCast - Watch Games live on your computer
HD - This sucks for me as I need to upgrade my receiver for my HDTV
Red Zone Channel - A run down of big plays from each game
Game Mix - Watch up to 8 Games at the same time
Short Cuts - Commercial free replays of every game in 30 min
NFL Sunday Ticket Mobile - NFL highlights on you cell, watch best plays

Pretty cool IMO

Saulbadguy
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I finally made the plunge to DirecTV when they offered the HD-DVR Receiver for free. I got the NFL Sunday ticket for $74.99 a month for 4 months - and my first 4 months of the regular DirecTV programming (premier pack) is free.

Here's a big **** YOU to Cox Communications!

vailpass
07-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Was this for your home or place of business?

KCrockaholic
07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
wow! did you just get lucky? our do you think they would do that same thing with anybody? ...i have sunday ticket, and it would be nice to get a break from the 40 dollars a month.

smittysbar
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Was this for your home or place of business?

For my home.

wow! did you just get lucky? our do you think they would do that same thing with anybody? ...i have sunday ticket, and it would be nice to get a break from the 40 dollars a month.

They sure acted like it was no big deal and wanted me to stay. I would call and see, you can always order it later or if they don't give you the same offer just say you changed your mind at the end of the conversation and that you decided to keep it. But I would bet this is an incentive that they have to keep people on board.

Consistent1
07-24-2008, 01:46 PM
For my home.

They sure acted like it was no big deal and wanted me to stay. I would call and see, you can always order it later or if they don't give you the same offer just say you changed your mind at the end of the conversation and that you decided to keep it. But I would bet this is an incentive that they have to keep people on board.

I read somewhere else that they are doing this a lot. If you have it, might as well try to get a better deal. It's not gonna hurt to try.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I signed up for directv a week ago. I was all stoked, took half the day off yesterday, went home and waited patiently. After 3 hours and 55 minutes the guy showed up, went to my back deck and said "Sorry, we can't help you." Then left. I'll never even try to order it again. If you can't at least break your meter out and test it, you'll never see a penny from me. EVAR!!!!!! Bastards. :cuss:

smittysbar
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Some of the companies that do the installs are worthless SOB's and don't even try. Same with some of the Dish guys, alot of the times they do work for both companies.

DTLB58
07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
I called Directv yesterday, to tell them to take the NFL Package off of my account. I was going to cancel my whole sudscription then, get the new install, equip, and deals. They transferred me to a lady that tried to convince me of keeping it. I kept telling her, no. She then said that she would throw in the "SuperFan" for free. I told her no I don't think so. She then said she would give me $10 off a month for six months and the superfan if I would keep it......I then gave in. She basically gave me $160 worth of free shit, had to take it. I still need to upgrade though.

Just looking over SuperFan, seems pretty cool
SuperCast - Watch Games live on your computer
HD - This sucks for me as I need to upgrade my receiver for my HDTV
Red Zone Channel - A run down of big plays from each game
Game Mix - Watch up to 8 Games at the same time
Short Cuts - Commercial free replays of every game in 30 min
NFL Sunday Ticket Mobile - NFL highlights on you cell, watch best plays

Pretty cool IMO

I told them the same thing, Just canel, to fricking expensive, they waived my first month payment of sunday ticket and super fan $58 and gave me $10 a month off for 12 months for a total of $178.

Kudos to everyone that can get whatever they can off. Charging for superfan is crap anyways and they have the absolute worse service of any company I have ever dealt with.

vailpass
07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
I signed up for directv a week ago. I was all stoked, took half the day off yesterday, went home and waited patiently. After 3 hours and 55 minutes the guy showed up, went to my back deck and said "Sorry, we can't help you." Then left. I'll never even try to order it again. If you can't at least break your meter out and test it, you'll never see a penny from me. EVAR!!!!!! Bastards. :cuss:

They would have tried harder to help you if you had kids.

I keed, I keed.

Pestilence
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I told them the same thing, Just canel, to fricking expensive, they waived my first month payment of sunday ticket and super fan $58 and gave me $10 a month off for 12 months for a total of $178.

Kudos to everyone that can get whatever they can off. Charging for superfan is crap anyways and they have the absolute worse service of any company I have ever dealt with.

I've found that DirectTV has better service then any other cable provider. Comcast can suck my balls.

KCrockaholic
07-24-2008, 04:00 PM

awesome, ill give it a try.

jjchieffan
07-24-2008, 05:04 PM
I have had cable, as well as both dishes, and can say that I was not pleased with either dish service. Directtv and their bullshit sunday ticket can suck my balls. Nice to see how much they can overcharge for the crap when they are the only ones that can offer it. Besides that, I got so sick of losing signal every time it rained. I will take my Mediacom triple pay any day. Great picture all the time. blazing fast high speed internet, and unlimited long distance and all the xtras on the phone service for about what Directv steals every month for their shitty second rate crap.

smittysbar
07-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I like Dierctv, but yes they charge to much. That is why I posted this, so other NFL ticket people could get some back

Mosbonian
07-24-2008, 06:00 PM
I have had cable, as well as both dishes, and can say that I was not pleased with either dish service. Directtv and their bullshit sunday ticket can suck my balls. Nice to see how much they can overcharge for the crap when they are the only ones that can offer it. Besides that, I got so sick of losing signal every time it rained. I will take my Mediacom triple pay any day. Great picture all the time. blazing fast high speed internet, and unlimited long distance and all the xtras on the phone service for about what Directv steals every month for their shitty second rate crap.

Who are you kidding? Mediacom isn't all that great....been there as a customer.

And...for every person who say's" I lose my signal everytime it rains"...did you let the installer put it on a lightning rod or did you watch as they put out a cardboard dish?

I have had DTV for 10 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I have lost my signal.....and most of those times were during a hurricane style monsoon.

Now, I did cancel my Direct Ticket because it was too expensive for my tastes. They didn't bother to offer me any of the incentives that I see everyone else got. About all they offered me was 4 months free premium services if I kept the Ticket. Besides, for the money I could go to a sprots bar and spend $20 each Sunday and spend just about the same amount.

mmaddog

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM

You don't need a meter if you have wall to wall trees. Plus he would have had to mount a dish to hook the meter to. Then if it didn't work you have holes in your roof/house.

KCwolf
07-24-2008, 06:21 PM

Same thing here....100% Refund on Superfan + HBO/sports pack for $2 a month for 3 months ...... Savings of nearly $170....... Thanks DTV.

UteChief
07-24-2008, 07:16 PM
I cancelled a week or two ago and no offer was made. I did just get an hd/dvr at no charge.

DTLB58
07-24-2008, 07:20 PM
And...for every person who say's" I lose my signal everytime it rains"...did you let the installer put it on a lightning rod or did you watch as they put out a cardboard dish?

My dishes are installed on my house on the poles they bring with them. I have had at least 12 different techs here through the years and all of them say there is nothing else they can do to prevent me from losing my signal during a storm. Frustrating as hell! :banghead: :# :cuss:

Mosbonian
07-24-2008, 07:30 PM

My dishes are installed on my house on the poles they bring with them. I have had at least 12 different techs here through the years and all of them say there is nothing else they can do to prevent me from losing my signal during a storm. Frustrating as hell! :banghead: :# :cuss:

But how bad of a storm....and I am sorry you can't find the solution.

Skip...can you help?

mmaddog

chief52
07-24-2008, 07:56 PM
[B]

You have to have an extremely week signal to start with. Apparently that is the best you can get in your area if that many techs have tried. I live in an extremely rainy area and I can also count on one hand the number of times I have lost signal. It never happens even in the wettest of rain storms.

smittysbar
07-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Mine is out right now as I type this, but it is ****ing pouring. I loose it in heavy storms for just a bit then it usually comes back on. At my mothers house she has a 98 on the signal meter, and has yet to ever loose service.

wutamess
07-24-2008, 09:20 PM

Funny story: I tried your method
Me: I want to cancel my re-occuring upcoming charge for Sunday ticket.
Foreigner: OK, I can help you with that.
Awkward silence (not what I was expecting to hear from foreigner).

Me: I'd probably keep it if it was cheaper (so dumbass would catch a hint.
Foreigner: Let me see if there's any promotions. checks for a quick second......... Nope there's no promotions.

Me throwing dumbass another hint: I have a friend that received a pretty good discount because he was a good paying customer and I've been with you guys for 7 years and blah blah blah...
Foreigner: Yeah that's only for new customers or something.

Me: Just cancel the fugger :mad:

I call right back and get a Idaho rep...
Me (tired of beating around the bush): Look I just called and cancelled my Sunday Ticket and told my friend about it and he said he got 1 month waived and sports pack
& $10 off/month for a year.
Joe cool: Sure sir I can do that for you. :thumb:

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Every satellite system experiences rain fade. All of them. The smaller the dish the more rain fade. The company I work or now uses 1 meter dishes and we have nearly no rain fade compared to those tiny Directv dishes. Those 12 techs were telling you the truth.

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM

Foreigner: Let me see if there's any promotions. checks for a quick second......... Nope there's no promotions.

Me throwing dumbass another hint: I have a friend that received a pretty good discount because he was a good paying customer and I've been with you guys for 7 years and blah blah blah...

Me (tired of beating around the bush): Look I just called and cancelled my Sunday Ticket and told my friend about it and he said he got 1 month waived and sports pack

If you got a "foreigner", he is a local (US) type foreigner. Directv does not outsource their Customer service out of the country.

wutamess
07-24-2008, 10:14 PM
If you got a "foreigner", he is a local (US) type foreigner. Directv does not outsource their Customer service out of the country.

I figured he was a local guy as I asked the second rep if you guys outsourced. He told me they brought all that back in house. Seems like more & more company's are doing just that.

You get what you pay for.

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
I figured he was a local guy as I asked the second rep if you guys outsourced. He told me they brought all that back in house. Seems like more & more company's are doing just that.

You get what you pay for.

I did Directv for 10 years and to my knowledge they didn't "bring it back" they never went overseas to begin with. I have called them more than 3000 times and have received excellent service from them. When I see someone bitching about their Customer service I just consider the source.

wutamess
07-24-2008, 10:59 PM
I did Directv for 10 years and to my knowledge they didn't "bring it back" they never went overseas to begin with. I have called them more than 3000 times and have received excellent service from them. When I see someone bitching about their Customer service I just consider the source.

How about you Go rhetorically ***** Yourself?
I'm sorry if I thought they originally outsourced.
I'm a big fan here. I've had nothing but pleasure with DTV and they have a customer for life. Or at least until someone else gets the NFL rights.

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 11:03 PM
How about you Go rhetorically ***** Yourself?
I'm sorry if I thought they originally outsourced.
I'm a big fan here. I've had nothing but pleasure with DTV and they have a customer for life. Or at least until someone else gets the NFL rights.

Then you should go **** yourself.

KCrockaholic
07-24-2008, 11:08 PM

LOL, im gonna call tomorrow, and try the same thing. hopefully i get mr. Joe Cool rather than foreigner dude.

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 11:17 PM
LOL, im gonna call tomorrow, and try the same thing. hopefully i get mr. Joe Cool rather than foreigner dude.

It's called CSR roulette at Directv. If you don't like the response you get, hang up and call back. You have .0000000000001% chance of getting the same one again. They have service centers all over the country. I've always worked the Tulsa area but have only gotten a Tulsa CSR a handful of times.

KCrockaholic
07-24-2008, 11:37 PM
It's called CSR roulette at Directv. If you don't like the response you get, hang up and call back. You have .0000000000001% chance of getting the same one again. They have service centers all over the country. I've always worked the Tulsa area but have only gotten a Tulsa CSR a handful of times.

awesome, thanks for the info.

Mojo Rising
07-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Be careful before you call 800 directv. Last year there was a post that suggested that you could get free superfan (it is ridiculous that would charge extra for programming that is in HD when you already ay extra for HD Package) if you called and threatened to cancel.

They called the bluff on the guy I told it to. They cancelled his account and then charged him full price for the Sun Tix when he paid for it again (didn't give re-knew price.)

I posted a link to get free Superfan. If you are planning on paying the extra $99 read the post first. It has worked for everyone

smittysbar
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
If they don't offer you the promotion don't cancel, but call back and get a different person, as you can see it has worked for several. You might post the link though.

Monty
07-28-2008, 09:37 AM
I like Dierctv, but yes they charge to much. That is why I posted this, so other NFL ticket people could get some back

Thanks, it worked for me too! I just upgraded to a HD DVR for free w/a new dish and the install was free too. No extra programming charges as I just killed HBO/Cinemax, so the HD access isn't costing me anything additional to what I was already paying. The SuperFan package was credited to my account as well. Essentially, I paid $19.99 for the S&H and that's it! Can't wait for the install!!

Iron Chef
07-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I just called told them a buddy got the free supper fan and $10 off for 6 months. They gave it to me no questions asked.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2008, 10:15 AM
The installers I had were Mexican and didn't speak very good english. However they did a great job and were very professional.

HC_Chief
07-28-2008, 10:59 AM
DirecTV should have kept the NFL Sunday Ticket only plan.

For that matter they should allow people to build their own channel lists and sell the service as a PPV.

Makes too much sense; and the distributors would never let it happen - no one would subscribe to the crap channels (90% of available)

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Just called about something else, and decided to see what I could get.

Was offered either free SuperFan, or $10 off per month for the next 12 months.

Seeing as how $120>$99, I went with option B.

Guess I could call back and be greedy, but...

Al Bundy
07-28-2008, 11:23 AM
They told me.. no way no how I was getting superfan for free.

Monty
07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Just called about something else, and decided to see what I could get.

Was offered either free SuperFan, or $10 off per month for the next 12 months.

Seeing as how $120>$99, I went with option B.

Guess I could call back and be greedy, but...

I went with option A(yes, I "lose" $21, but wanted the game mix in HD), so we'll see how that works.

I'm curious to know how excited I'll be in week 7 if the Chiefs aren't doing well. ;)

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I went with option A(yes, I "lose" $21, but wanted the game mix in HD), so we'll see how that works.

I'm curious to know how excited I'll be in week 7 if the Chiefs aren't doing well. ;)

I still kept my SF, so basically still got it free, with an additional $21 off.

Monty
07-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I still kept my SF, so basically still got it free, with an additional $21 off.

Ok, gotcha. Bonus on top of Bonus. :)

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Ok, gotcha. Bonus on top of Bonus. :)

You guys coming in for the opener, or have you decided yet?

Monty
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
You guys coming in for the opener, or have you decided yet?

We're still planning for the Home Opener, but the kids really want to come up, so we're still working on whether we'll hit that game or the Broncos game. We should know this week as we have to sit down and get things planned out. There seems to be an abundance of tixs at our disposal, so we'll do what's easiest/cheapest. :)

I'm also toying with coming up for the preseason Arizona game so that I can work on the Command Center and get it ready. Need to do some maintenance stuff and we're good to go. The court stuff is ongoing and right in the middle of everything else, so that's why we're still in limbo wrt official plans.

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 01:06 PM
We're still planning for the Home Opener, but the kids really want to come up, so we're still working on whether we'll hit that game or the Broncos game. We should know this week as we have to sit down and get things planned out. There seems to be an abundance of tixs at our disposal, so we'll do what's easiest/cheapest. :)

I'm also toying with coming up for the preseason Arizona game so that I can work on the Command Center and get it ready. Need to do some maintenance stuff and we're good to go. The court stuff is ongoing and right in the middle of everything else, so that's why we're still in limbo wrt official plans.

Speaking of an abundance of tickets, if you end up having 2-4 available for the Opener, let me know...I'll buy them from you.

Hope you guys are able to make it.

Monty
07-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Speaking of an abundance of tickets, if you end up having 2-4 available for the Opener, let me know...I'll buy them from you.

Hope you guys are able to make it.

I'll make the inquiries with Russ and Mona(you met them in Houston) and let you know. I'm hoping to have this wrapped up by Friday(self imposed timeline). :)

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I'll make the inquiries with Russ and Mona(you met them in Houston) and let you know. I'm hoping to have this wrapped up by Friday(self imposed timeline). :)

Cool. If there's anything available, let me know section, row and price.

If not, no big deal. I've been keeping an eye on Ebay and the like - at this point, not sure if there are going to be 2, 3 or 4 of us.

Monty
07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Cool. If there's anything available, let me know section, row and price.

If not, no big deal. I've been keeping an eye on Ebay and the like - at this point, not sure if there are going to be 2, 3 or 4 of us.

Will do. Most, if not all are LL and all will be FV...that's all I know at this point without confirming.

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Will do. Most, if not all are LL and all will be FV...that's all I know at this point without confirming.

Exactly what we are looking for.

Gimme a call when you know...

Thanks!

Monty
07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Exactly what we are looking for.

Gimme a call when you know...

Thanks!

I'll give you a shout tonight if I get in touch with them. :)

osumatt
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Dudes,

Just took your advice and got the "SuperFan" package comped for the season! No monthly discount off my service, but that "SuperFan" package rocks!! They were going to give me some free movie channels, but I really pressed for the SF package and they gave it to me. SWEET!

Go Pokes,
OSUmatt

Bowser
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I finally made the plunge to DirecTV when they offered the HD-DVR Receiver for free. I got the NFL Sunday ticket for $74.99 a month for 4 months - and my first 4 months of the regular DirecTV programming (premier pack) is free.

Here's a big **** YOU to Cox Communications!

Saul, you need to give updates as to how your new satellite holds up in weather. I'd do it, but my house is positioned in such a way as that I don't have a clear shot at the southern sky. :banghead:

smittysbar
07-28-2008, 08:39 PM
They told me.. no way no how I was getting superfan for free.

Try again, seems to be working

Saulbadguy
07-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Saul, you need to give updates as to how your new satellite holds up in weather. I'd do it, but my house is positioned in such a way as that I don't have a clear shot at the southern sky. :banghead:

When it rains, some of the upper channels go out. The lower ones (like 300 and under) seem to hold up.

Skip Towne
07-29-2008, 07:30 AM
When it rains, some of the upper channels go out. The lower ones (like 300 and under) seem to hold up.

Do you have the 5 LNB HD dish? I've heard they have less rain fade than the 3 LNB dish.

wutamess
07-29-2008, 07:32 AM

When it rains the HD channels really have a fit. The regular digital channels are usually ok unless there's a T'storm. Then all hell breaks loose.

Also, I've noticed that the regular digital channels are louder than the HD channels I think it's because they're sacrificing sound for picture quality.

tomahawk kid
07-29-2008, 07:42 AM
I got it tossed in for free last year and they did the same this season.

For all the issues that I have with reception during storms, DTV's customer service beats the living f#ck out of Time Warner cables.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Do you have the 5 LNB HD dish? I've heard they have less rain fade than the 3 LNB dish.

How do I tell?

Saulbadguy
07-29-2008, 08:15 AM
When it rains the HD channels really have a fit. The regular digital channels are usually ok unless there's a T'storm. Then all hell breaks loose.

Also, I've noticed that the regular digital channels are louder than the HD channels I think it's because they're sacrificing sound for picture quality.

The HD channels are not as loud because they are running in a different sound format, Dolby Digital. It is actually higher quality than the regular digital stations.

Skip Towne
07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
How do I tell?

The 3 LNB dish as 3 distinct "eyes" pointing back at the dish. The 5 LNB has one big eye and two smaller ones and is larger in dish size. If it is mounted on your roof, the HD dish will have braces attached to the pole as well.

smittysbar
07-31-2008, 09:14 AM
The 3 LNB dish as 3 distinct "eyes" pointing back at the dish. The 5 LNB has one big eye and two smaller ones and is larger in dish size. If it is mounted on your roof, the HD dish will have braces attached to the pole as well.

My parents have the 5 lmb dish, they have never had signal go out due to storm. They do have one of the highest signals I have ever seen though.

Skip Towne
07-31-2008, 09:18 AM
My parents have the 5 lmb dish, they have never had signal go out due to storm. They do have one of the highest signals I have ever seen though.

That's good to know. Usually the larger the dish the less rain fade.

smittysbar
08-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I am not so lucky, I have the older smaller dish's, both here and the bar get knocked out pretty easily.

Skip Towne
08-02-2008, 09:16 AM
I am not so lucky, I have the older smaller dish's, both here and the bar get knocked out pretty easily.

Tune your dishes until your signal level is in the 90's. That's where mine is and it rarely goes out.

smittysbar
08-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Tune your dishes until your signal level is in the 90's. That's where mine is and it rarely goes out.

I just can't get it that high, have messed with it several times.

Skip Towne
08-02-2008, 10:52 AM
I just can't get it that high, have messed with it several times.

How high will they go? Are there obstructions in the way? You may need to move your dish.

Mosbonian
08-02-2008, 11:13 AM

Skip:

Have a 92 here..is that pretty good?

mmaddog

Skip Towne
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Skip:

Have a 92 here..is that pretty good?

mmaddog

Yes, that's fine. You shouldn't have rain fade until the really heavy storms hit.

Skip Towne
08-02-2008, 12:16 PM
A lot of folks only adjust their dishes from side to side (azimuth) when there are two more adjustments to make. Elevation (up and down) and skew (tilt of the dish) The elevation adjust bolts are on either side of the pole mount. The skew is adjusted on the back of the dish. You can go into the menu to satellite set up and enter your zip code to get the correct settings. All three affect your signal level.

smittysbar
08-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah I can only put it at one place at home, low to mid 80's is the best I can get. My buddy works for direct, and we have tried several times. Th one at the bar is an old dish, but I got it up to 88 or 89. Seems like the newer dishes have less fade, IMO.

TinyEvel
08-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I just called and told them I was probably going to cancel because of the cost of Sunday ticket on top of our HBO/Showtime/HD and DVR add-ons.

THey gave me free Superfan ($99), Free HBO and Showtime for three months ($75) and three more months Showtime free ($33)

Not bad...$207 for a ten minute phone call.

BigMeatballDave
08-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Is this Superfan really worth it? How many HD broadcasts can I expect without it?