PDA

View Full Version : Elections Barack Hussein Forms Presidential Transition Team?

Donger
07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/07/obama_team_begins_work_on_pres.php

With less than six months to go before he would be sworn in as the nation’s 44th president, Sen. Barack Obama has directed his aides to begin planning for the transition.

"Barack is well aware of the complexity and the organizational challenge involved in the transition process and he has tasked s small group to begin thinking through the process,” a senior campaign adviser said. “Barack has made his expectations clear about what he wants from such a process, how he wants it to move forward, and the establishment and execution of his timeline is proceeding apace.”

Last month, the Post’s Shalaigh Murray reported that campaign advisers were sounding out John Podesta, a former White House chief of staff to President Bill Clinton and currently the president of the Center for American Progress, for his advice.

An aide confirms that Podesta will probably be asked to head the transition team, which would take over from the campaign if Obama wins in November, and would be tasked with ensuring a smooth handover of power.

Podesta’s Center for American Progress is working with the Third Way think tank on a Homeland Security Presidential Transition Initiative; its director is Michael Signer, a former senior policy aide to Ex-Sen. John Edwards.

Cassandra Butts, a longtime Obama friend who is a CAP executive vice president, is working closely with Podesta.

Butts, via e-mail, would not confirm her participation in the project.

Podesta remains a close friend of both Clintons and his participation will help assuage the concerns of Clinton-era Democratic policy and political appointees who might have felt abandoned in an Obama administration.

New Presidents have only three months to complete a herculean remaking of the equivalent of ten of the world's biggest companies. Most presidential candidates don’t spend precious campaign time thinking about to do, so the questions come fast and furious: how do you your turn your ideas into policy? What do you do first? What does Congress expect? What last-minute executive orders should you overturn? What will your first 100 days look like? How will you vet and when will you appoint major cabinet secretaries and political appointees? What’s he proper balance of power between executive department? Budgets, costs, logistics?

A campaign spokesperson confirmed that transition planning had begun but would provide no further details. An adviser said that the campaign wants to keep the process as low profile as possible in order to minimize distractions.

A public announcement is planned for the fall.

“Given the myriad challenges that will face the next president, Barack would encourage Sen. McCain to begin to undertake a similar process,” the adviser said.

A McCain spokesperson said the campaign would not discuss the subject with reporters.

markk
07-24-2008, 03:04 PM
the last one had a transition team too... joseph of aramathea... the women anointing him with spices... Lord Messiah Barack, the most merciful, is just being prudent.

Adept Havelock
07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
“Given the myriad challenges that will face the next president, Barack would encourage Sen. McCain to begin to undertake a similar process,” the adviser said.

I'd have to agree. Whomever wins, it's a herculean task. They need to be ready to hit the ground running in January.

Donger
07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
I'd have to agree. Whomever wins, it's a herculean task. They need to be ready to hit the ground running in January.

I'm not sure it's any more of a herculean task than any other transition. Do you?

Adept Havelock
07-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure it's any more of a herculean task than any other transition. Do you?

Considering we have massive economic issues, two major "hot" military deployments, a "War on Terror" with an even greater scope, etc., yes I do. I think it's a considerably greater task than the last few administrations have faced at the time of hand-off.

I'd hope both campaigns are looking to planning for the transition now, instead of waiting and trying to do both the planning and execution in half the time.

Chief Henry
07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I doubt the next President will have to worry about the White house being trashed.

StcChief
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Cart ? Horse? but the Annoited one knows best
:rolleyes:

Donger
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Considering we have massive economic issues, two major "hot" military deployments, a "War on Terror" with an even greater scope, etc., yes I do. I think it's a considerably greater task than the last few administrations have faced at the time of hand-off.

I'd hope both campaigns are looking to planning for the transition now, instead of waiting and trying to do both the planning and execution in half the time.

I was just reading about the Presidential Transition Act 0f 2000.

Adept Havelock
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Cart ? Horse? but the Annoited one knows best
:rolleyes:

So I take it you feel both McCain and Obama should not worry about planning for what will likely be one of the most difficult hand-offs since at least the Vietnam War in advance? Why should either of them waste three months planning time, and simply try to plan and execute a transition in less than three months?

Seems rather silly to me. In my experience, the more care and effort put into preparing for a change, the more successful it is likely to be. :shrug:

Or is your only real problem, as I suspect, the letter after the name of the guy who is doing it?

I was just reading about the Presidential Transition Act 0f 2000.

How do you feel that applies to the (IMO common sense approach) of beginning to plan for an eventuality before you absolutely have to?

banyon
07-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Time for McCain to form his "Retirement Transition Team".

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
This bothers me about Obama. You can stack this right up next to his Presidential seal-like logo he had for a day or so. He's had a few actions along these lines and his foregone conclusion is becoming obvious.

The guy is cocky, and that's good. But sometimes it can sure bite you in the ass.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 03:49 PM
This bothers me about Obama. You can stack this right up next to his Presidential seal-like logo he had for a day or so. He's had a few actions along these lines and his foregone conclusion is becoming obvious.

The guy is cocky, and that's good. But sometimes it can sure bite you in the ass.

Of all people and things, you had a problem with the seal?

Donger
How do you feel that applies to the (IMO common sense approach) of beginning to plan for an eventuality before you absolutely have to?

I wasn't aware of the act, but it sounds like certain aspects of transition are discussed with each candidate as the GE draws near.

Honestly, I would think that Barack Hussein (or anyone else) would need this much time to transition. So, he's either not very efficient/a good planner, or he's an egomaniac.

Maybe both.

Donger

Oh yeah, I forgot about the seal.

Calcountry

I'd hope both campaigns are looking to planning for the transition now, instead of waiting and trying to do both the planning and execution in half the time.I will be very interested to know when Hussein is going to get us more oil.

Adept Havelock
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I wasn't aware of the act, but it sounds like certain aspects of transition are discussed with each candidate as the GE draws near.

Honestly, I would think that Barack Hussein (or anyone else) would need this much time to transition. So, he's either not very efficient/a good planner, or he's an egomaniac.

Maybe both.

I can certainly understand why a political opponent of Sen. Obama's would choose to paint methodical planning, and a worthwhile suggestion to Sen. McCain to prepare in a similar manner with such a negative (though IMO absurd) interpretation. :shrug:

I will be very interested to know when Hussein is going to get us more oil.

If he wins, I'd be quite surprised if Sen. Obama does. :banghead:

Sully
07-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Someone is going to have to walk me through why I need to be outraged that a guy running for possibly the most important job in the world, at a critical time in history, would want to be better prepared for it.

Donger
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I can certainly understand why a political opponent of Sen. Obama's would choose to paint foresight, methodical planning, and a worthwhile suggestion to Sen. McCain to plan accordingly in such a negative manner. :shrug:

And I can understand why a supporter would view it that way. He probably needs the extra time to come up with a new presidential seal design, anyway.

Donger
07-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Someone is going to have to walk me through why I need to be outraged that a guy running for possibly the most important job in the world, at a critical time in history, would want to be better prepared for it.

I don't see any outrage. I see it as more evidence of Barack Hussein's vast ego.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't see any outrage. I see it as more evidence of Barack Hussein's vast ego.

If he really had a vast ego, would he be recommending that McCain follow suit?

Adept Havelock

As am I.

I wouldn't think so. To me, it simply says he feels whomever wins had better be ready to hit the ground running after a transition sure to be made more difficult than usual by economic factors, major hot military deployments, the larger "War on Terror", etc. :shrug:

And I can understand why a supporter would view it that way. He probably needs the extra time to come up with a new presidential seal design, anyway.

You must have me confused with a supporter of Sen. Obama. I'm not supporting either of the candidates for President this time around. I just think disparaging careful planning before said planning is absolutely necessary to be rather foolish.

Granted, I try to plan for contingencies in advance of the necessity, so I respect that aspect in other people. I suppose if someone doesn't feel that planning in such a manner is a good thing, they might not see much value in it.

Donger

Yes, he would. Egomaniacs tend to presume infallibility.

Donger
07-24-2008, 03:56 PM
As am I.

You must have me confused with a supporter of Sen. Obama. I'm not supporting either of the candidates for president this time around.

I didn't say you were a supporter.

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I think it is an egotistical act. Substantially, it makes a degree of sense (though realistically you should be able to transition perfectly fine between November and January, after you are elected), but it just sends a message of overconfidence. Just as the seal did.

I don't think these are bad characteristics, I just think they're good characteristics being taken way too far.

I'd tell Obama to just keep campaigning. Work hard. He's probably going to win this election if he does, and he'll get three months to transition at the end of 2008.

Adept Havelock
07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
I didn't say you were a supporter.

True. However, you responded to my statement about it showing a tendency towards careful planning, etc. with the following:

And I can understand why a supporter would view it that way.

That statement as a direct response, IMO, does make the implication that I am. That's why I felt obliged to clarify that for you. ;)

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Man, Americans get their panties up in a bunch over nothing these days.

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Man, Americans get their panties up in a bunch over nothing these days.
Dude, I voted for a guy in 2000 who got more votes than his opponent.

He still didn't become President, and we ended up in Iraq.

If that's not a sign that you should be a LOT more cautious in this modern political atmosphere, I don't know what is.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Dude, I voted for a guy in 2000 who got more votes than his opponent.

He still didn't become President, and we ended up in Iraq.

If that's not a sign that you should be a LOT more cautious in this modern political atmosphere, I don't know what is.

It's a F*cking seal.
It's a F*cking plane.
It's a F*cking committee.

What is it next?

I applaud caution, but being agitated at these things is beyond cautious. It's borderline retarded.

Donger
07-24-2008, 04:07 PM
It's a F*cking seal.
It's a F*cking plane.

What is it next?

I applaud caution, but being agitated at these things is beyond cautious. It's borderline retarded.

It's indicative of his personality, and that he's both presumptuous and has a VAST ego.

That may not bother you, but I assure you it bothers others. If you consider that to be "retarded," so be it.

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 04:08 PM
It's a F*cking seal.
It's a F*cking plane.

What is it next?

It's not "borderline retarded" to be bothered by this. These things don't happen in isolations. They are indications, and together they are significant.

I wouldn't have been concerned about McCain's lighthearted joke about killing Iranians, had it not been followed by a handful of other jokes the guy's made about Iranians.

I'm not exactly saying this is a deal-breaker. McCain would have to pick Jesus Christ as a running mate to earn my vote at this point.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
It's indicative of his personality, and that he's both presumptuous and has a VAST ego.

That may not bother you, but I assure you it bothers others. If you consider that to be "retarded," so be it.

It's the things that you think are indicative.

It's not presumptuous at all. It's called being prepared.

And sometimes an ego is good to have.

I'm not sold on either one. I do think that Obama is better than McCain on almost every front.

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
All that said, though...

I'm just curious, who was the last guy you voted for in a Presidential election?

I want to see if vast egos truly scare you off, or if they just become convenient excuses.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 04:12 PM
It's not "borderline retarded" to be bothered by this. These things don't happen in isolations. They are indications, and together they are significant.

Not really. I don't see anything wrong with being prepared. If he loses, the committee goes away. The seal goes away. What's the big deal?

I wouldn't have been concerned about McCain's lighthearted joke about killing Iranians, had it not been followed by a handful of other jokes the guy's made about Iranians.

Jokes about killing are on an equal plane with a seal, plane or committee? Seriously?

I'm not exactly saying this is a deal-breaker. McCain would have to pick Jesus Christ as a running mate to earn my vote at this point.

But Jesus hates the Chiefs.

Donger
07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
All that said, though...

I'm just curious, who was the last guy you voted for in a Presidential election?

I want to see if vast egos truly scare you off, or if they just become convenient excuses.

Bush.

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Bush.
Color me unsurprised.

Clearly Bush is the portrait of a man with the appropriate ego size. In no way is Bush's ego enhanced to atmospheric and inappropriate heights.

Donger
07-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Color me unsurprised.

Clearly Bush is the portrait of a man with the appropriate ego size. In no way is Bush's ego enhanced to atmospheric and inappropriate heights.

Perhaps you could provide some examples of Bush's vast ego?

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 04:22 PM
But Jesus hates the Chiefs.
Touche.

I didn't put the seal and all that on an equal plane with killing Iranians. I was just making an example.

My point is that the three months between election and the first day in office has been enough time for the 40 presidents that preceded him. It should be enough for Barack.

I love Obama's ambition, but this is a bit too much to swallow.

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Perhaps you could provide some examples of Bush's vast ego?
None whatsoever. I believe the man is as humble as a saint, and at no times has he allowed his own perception of himself to overshadow reality and common sense.

Surely you'd agree.

Calcountry
07-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I can certainly understand why a political opponent of Sen. Obama's would choose to paint methodical planning, and a worthwhile suggestion to Sen. McCain to prepare in a similar manner with such a negative (though IMO absurd) interpretation. :shrug:

If he wins, I'd be quite surprised if Sen. Obama does. :banghead:IF he wins, I thought he was touring the world as its new leader? WTF?

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 04:24 PM
IF he wins, I thought he was touring the world as its new leader? WTF?
You're a stupid person.

I don't know if the people around here remind of that often enough.

Donger
07-24-2008, 04:25 PM
None whatsoever. I believe the man is as humble as a saint.

Surely you'd agree.

Humble? No, I wouldn't say that. I would say that Bush is a very stubborn man.

Compared to Barack Hussein? Yes, I'd say that he's considerably more modest.

Calcountry
07-24-2008, 04:25 PM
As am I.

I wouldn't think so. To me, it simply says he feels whomever wins had better be ready to hit the ground running after a transition sure to be made more difficult than usual by economic factors, major hot military deployments, the larger "War on Terror", etc. :shrug:

You must have me confused with a supporter of Sen. Obama. I'm not supporting either of the candidates for President this time around. I just think disparaging careful planning before said planning is absolutely necessary to be rather foolish.

Granted, I try to plan for contingencies in advance of the necessity, so I respect that aspect in other people. I suppose if someone doesn't feel that planning in such a manner is a good thing, they might not see much value in it.
My vote doesn't count in Mexifornia. They have imported millions of new voters here to cancel me out.

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 04:26 PM
You're a stupid person.

I don't know if the people around here remind of that often enough.

According to bunnytrdr the only thing the next President needs to get prepared for is more wars for oil.

Calcountry
07-24-2008, 04:27 PM

I'm not exactly saying this is a deal-breaker. McCain would have to pick Jesus Christ as a running mate to earn my vote at this point.Umm, would a Morman do?

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Humble? No, I wouldn't say that. I would say that Bush is a very stubborn man.

Compared to Barack Hussein? Yes, I'd say that he's considerably more modest.
Certainly! After all, he never proclaimed to be the spearhead of goodness to strike out some international alliance of evil (let's call it an Axis), right? He also never used personal reasons involving family members (let's say his dad) as part of his rationale for an international war, right? He is also practically famous for allowing dissent to his opinions, right?

Just a man of considerable modesty. What Would "W" Do.

Donger
07-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Certainly! After all, he never proclaimed to be the spearhead of goodness to strike out some international alliance of evil (let's call it an Axis), right? He also never used personal reasons involving family members (let's say his dad) as part of his rationale for an international war, right? He is also practically famous for allowing dissent to his opinions, right?

Those are the examples you offer in order to attempt to demonstrate that Bush has a vast ego?

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Those are the examples you offer in order to attempt to demonstrate that Bush has a vast ego?
Nnnnnnaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh...

BucEyedPea
07-24-2008, 05:46 PM
I doubt the next President will have to worry about the White house being trashed.

:LOL:

Or stealing stuff.

SBK
07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
This is like Rodney Harrison inviting Giants players to his 'perfect season' party during the 1st quarter of the Super Bowl.

I talked about it in another thread, but I'm telling you, there's something to all this ego stuff.

tiptap
07-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah we can't afford to elect a guy we want to have a beer with and hear old war stories. We tried that approach. And considering McCain dropped his old wife for a rich young one, one with ties to the S & L bail out, will I don't think McCain is all that interested in helping the rest of us any more than Bush.

tiptap
07-24-2008, 09:39 PM
The guy is oily. I don't like his floor show at all. I'll try an intellectual this time around.

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Long Live Barrack Hussein Obama!!!

Dave Lane
07-24-2008, 11:46 PM

Yep its about as bad as it can possibly get.

Dave

jAZ
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
If McCain isn't doing something like this now, he's an idiot.

Discuss Thrower
07-25-2008, 12:08 AM
If McCain isn't doing something like this now, he's an idiot.

But...But... But McCain is just the same as Bussssssssssh!

jAZ
07-25-2008, 12:19 AM
But...But... But McCain is just the same as Bussssssssssh!

Bush was an idiot too. And dropped the ball in a huge way during his own transition. Not a very favorable reference point.

alanm
07-25-2008, 12:22 AM
This is like Rodney Harrison inviting Giants players to his 'perfect season' party during the 1st quarter of the Super Bowl.

I talked about it in another thread, but I'm telling you, there's something to all this ego stuff.
I liken it to the 1987 Miami Hurricanes getting off the plane in Tempe dressed in combat fatigues and all full of themselves getting ready to face Joe Pa and Penn St.

FAX
07-25-2008, 12:44 AM

So, I wake up at 1:30 am, go to the kitchen for a bottle of water, drop into my office on the way back, notice my computer is on, take a seat in my chair, read your post, and feel compelled to reply to you, Mr. Donger.

The answer is, "Yes".

FAX