PDA

View Full Version : Elections BO cancels trip to see troops in Germany- says visit would be "innapppropriate"!!

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Obama Scrubs Visit to See Troops in Germany; Says “Inappropriate” Since Campaign Funding European Swing
July 24, 2008 1:38 PM

The German magazine Der Spiegel is reporting on line that Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. has “cancelled a planned short visit to the Rammstein and Landstuhl U.S. military bases in the southwest German state of Rhineland-Palatinate. The visits were planned for Friday.”

“Barack Obama will not be coming to us,” a spokesperson for the U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl told Der Spiegel. “I don't know why.”

Obama senior adviser Robert Gibbs told us in a statement, “During his trip as part of the CODEL to Afghanistan and Iraq, Senator Obama visited the combat support hospital in the Green Zone in Baghdad and had a number of other visits with the troops. For the second part of his trip, the senator wanted to visit the men and women at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center to express his gratitude for their service and sacrifice. The senator decided out of respect for these servicemen and women that it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign.”

- jpt

UPDATE: The McCain campaign issued the following comment on Obama’s decision to cancel a visit to the troops at Ramstein Air Base and Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany today:

"Barack Obama is wrong. It is never ‘inappropriate’ to visit our men and women in the military," said McCain spokesman Brian Rogers.

Link (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/07/obama-scrubs-vi.html)

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I think it would be inappropriate to visit men and women in the military when they're under fire.

But that could be me.

markk
07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Why would it be inappropriate for the guy with a 50% chance of being commander in chief of the military to visit a military base?

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Mainly it's because Obama hates the troops and he wishes them death at the hands of the infidels.

Guru
07-24-2008, 07:16 PM
That is just stupid.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Mainly it's because Barack Hussein hates the troops and he wishes them death at the hands of the infidels.

FYP

|Zach|
Mainly it's because Obama hates the troops and he wishes them death at the hands of the infidels.

Fact.

Bill Parcells

You might have a point. he would want to meet with Ahmadinejad, but not all the troops? :hmmm:

Donger
07-24-2008, 07:18 PM
I think it would be inappropriate to visit men and women in the military when they're under fire.

But that could be me.

They're under fire in a hospital?

|Zach|
You might have a point. he would want to meet with Ahmadinejad, but not all the troops? :hmmm:

Yes, he thinks Iran is more important then our troops.

Another fact.

HolmeZz
Don't you mean "troops", Bill?

markk
this is just really goofy. why wouldn't they just say there were scheduling issues rather than "it would be inappropriate to visit a military base"?

Direckshun
07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Basically.

He wants to split a smoothie with Iran, but doesn't want to hang with our soldiers.

What can you say, that guy REALLY hates America!

Bill Parcells
Yes, he thinks Iran is more important then our troops.

Another fact.

He must. I'm sure you would play pin the tail on the donkey with him leading you in the right direction.

HolmeZz

The last time he met with the troops, they were apparently a bit too black for the liking of most here. And the setting looked too much like a high school gymnasium.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Basically.

He wants to split a smoothie with Iran, but doesn't want to hang with our soldiers.

What can you say, that guy REALLY hates America!

Wow! now that is substance! :clap:

Bill Parcells
The last time he met with the troops, they were apparently a bit too black for the liking of most here. And the setting looked too much like a high school gymnasium.

ROFL

Deberg_1990
Are any of them his Constituents? He should only care about those people.

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
He must. I'm sure you would play pin the tail on the donkey with him leading you in the right direction.

Who am I to argue with an "chain email" scholar like yourself?

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
They're under fire in a hospital?

I was replying to the McCain spokesman. He said:

It is never ‘inappropriate’ to visit our men and women in the military,

I pointed out an instance where it would be.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Who am I to argue with an chain email scholar like yourself?

And who am I to argue with a cameraman that takes everything written on CP as the bible? you got me there young man! hahaha!

Donger
07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
I must admit, the responses from Barack Hussein followers are always amusing, although it's getting a bit hackneyed.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
And who am I to argue with a cameraman that takes everything written on CP as the bible? you got me there young man! hahaha!

Where did he say anything was the bible?

Surely, you didn't mistake Zach's "Fact" and "Another fact". You know, the ones dripping with sarcasm.

markk
07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
they sure do circle the wagons and fire a full broadside of ridicule in record time though

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Wow! now that is substance! :clap:

Fact.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I must admit, the responses from Barack Hussein followers are always amusing, although it's getting a bit hackneyed.

Oh the Obama groupies swarm like killer bees to any thing naughty said about their hero/messiah. Zach is like Moses leading the charge!

Direckshun
hahaha
Midnight Douche?

***SPRAYER
Draw your own conclusions.

irishjayhawk
Oh the Obama groupies swarm like killer bees to any thing naughty said about their hero/messiah. Zach is like Moses leading the charge!

I think most of the Obama crowd is tired of constantly having to bat down stupidity. Stories like these qualify as such.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Midnight Douche?

http://www.realhawaiihoney.com/p7hg_img_1/fullsize/P1010658_fs.jpg

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I think most of the Obama crowd is tired of constantly having to bat down stupidity. Stories like these qualify as such.

Always attack the poster, never the story. same old shit/drivel. come up with something a little less predictable, heh?

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Always attack the poster, never the story. same old shit/drivel. come up with something a little less predictable, heh?

Umm, I didn't call you stupid. I called the story stupid.

Apparently, you don't know the difference.

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I am just proud of the guy for making a thread that can't be debunked.

Most of the stuff he passes on are those great e-mail forward chains that make people that believe everything and simply are not that smart rattle their little sabers and put white trash bumper stickers on their cars.

ROFL

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:30 PM

Yes, we know. You get one legit article and you are confused because people are not attacking the story. This is all new to you. ROFL

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Umm, I didn't call you stupid. I called the story stupid.

Apparently, you don't know the difference.

Um, it's the same shit from you Obama groupies, dumbass. I guess you couldn't figure that out? or are you blinded by rage? o:-)

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Um, it's the same shit from you Obama groupies, dumbass. I guess you couldn't figure that out? or are you blinded by rage? o:-)

Rage? Weird word to use for an online discussion board.

Messier
07-24-2008, 07:34 PM

I think calling the story stupid is attacking the story.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:34 PM

Well, I am not an Obama groupie. So wrong on count one.

What's the "same shit"? I don't get it. You make a mountain out of a mole hill and expect people to applaud you for it. But if they merely point out that it is, in fact, a mole hill, its the "same shit". When, in actuality, the "same shit" is actually what you are doing: making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I am just proud of the guy for making a thread that can't be debunked.

Most of the stuff he passes on are those great e-mail forward chains that make people that believe everything and simply are not that smart rattle their little sabers and put white trash bumper stickers on their cars.

ROFL
Anything to say about the article, Zach? nah? come on! you're the all knowing, Zach. certainly with your superior brain and girth you can lead me in the right direction.
Yes, we know. You get one legit article and you are confused because people are not attacking the story. This is all new to you. ROFL

No, it's the same old shit from the groupies in this thread. it's the same old shit in another anti Obama thread. not surprising.

SBK
07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I knew the true believers wouldn't disappoint in this thread.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Rage? Weird word to use for an online discussion board.
o:-) <--- MEANS SARCASM YOU DUMBASS
I think calling the story stupid is attacking the story.
That's ok seeing who it's coming from. really, it's ok! LMAO

What's the "same shit"? I don't get it. You make a mountain out of a mole hill and expect people to applaud you for it. But if they merely point out that it is a mole hill, its the "same shit". When, in actuality, the "same shit" is actually what you are doing: making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Now the circle is complete! ROFL

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Anything to say about the article, Zach? nah? come on! you're the all knowing, Zach. certainly with your superior brain and girth you can lead me in the right direction.

No, it's the same old shit from the groupies in this thread. it's the same old shit in another anti Obama thread. not surprising.

I have already made my feelings about the article apparent.

I think the fact that BO thinks meeting with Iran is more important than meeting with our troops is disgusting.

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Are you going to attack my post? Got anything to say? Is your superior brain power going to lead me in the right direction?

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Are you going to attack my post? Got anything to say? Is your superior brain power going to lead me in the right direction?

:)

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I have already made my feelings about the article apparent.

I think the fact that BO thinks meeting with Iran is more important than meeting with our troops is disgusting.

That's fair, thank you! :clap:

HolmeZz
07-24-2008, 07:41 PM
That's fair, thank you! :clap:

You just got had.

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I am still proud of this thread.

It is like history. I may try to keep on the top longer.

markk
07-24-2008, 07:42 PM
anyone have thoughts on... the topic of the thread?

honestly, just curious.

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:43 PM

honestly, just curious.

Fact.

Messier
07-24-2008, 07:44 PM

Why don't you prop up McCain with as much ferver as you complain about Obama supporters? Do you support McCain?

irishjayhawk
Fact.

ROFL

markk
great. thanks.

|Zach|
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zva5kpxsbJQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zva5kpxsbJQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:45 PM

honestly, just curious.

I think the topic has been painfully discussed.

Mountain and mole hills.
Nails and heads.

Bill Parcells

Well, my bad on that then.

What's the "same shit"? I don't get it.
The same old shit is the ''Obama groupies'' constantly coming into anti Obama threads and going on a rampage.
You make a mountain out of a mole hill and expect people to applaud you for it. But if they merely point out that it is, in fact, a mole hill, its the "same shit". When, in actuality, the "same shit" is actually what you are doing: making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I don't think so. it might very well be a mountain, not a mole hill.

No

|Zach|
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQvIc15j8Es&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQvIc15j8Es&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

|Zach|
So this is kinda fun. I just posted music videos by two different bands who are both named the "Bees".

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Why don't you prop up McCain with as much ferver as you complain about Obama supporters? Do you support McCain?

I'm undecided right now. who do you support?

irishjayhawk
07-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, my bad on that then.

:cheers:

The same old shit is the ''Obama groupies'' constantly coming into anti Obama threads and going on a rampage.

It's as tiring as the same old shit from the other side of the fence. That is, posting stories that have less to do with your candidate(s) of choice and more on negative campaigning against the opponent(s).

It's as tiring as the mole hills turning into mountains. Just about every anti-Obama thread was a mole hill that was turned into a mountain. The Seal, his plane, his committee, this trip etc etc.

I don't think so. it might very well be a mountain, not a mole hill.

Do elaborate. Why is it a mountain as opposed to a mole hill, in your opinion?

No

I'm glad you realized it can be played both ways.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:50 PM
And thanks to Zach for proving my point in this thread.

Thank you, Zach. :D

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:55 PM
:toast:

There you go. I fixed it for you. :D

It's as tiring as the same old shit from the other side of the fence. That is, posting stories that have less to do with your candidate(s) of choice and more on negative campaigning against the opponent(s).

It's as tiring as the mole hills turning into mountains. Just about every anti-Obama thread was a mole hill that was turned into a mountain. The Seal, his plane, his committee, this trip etc etc.

That's all presidential campaigns are nowadays. smear machines. If some don't like it then they shouldn't be discussing politics, don't you think?

Do elaborate. Why is it a mountain as opposed to a mole hill, in your opinion?

What I mean by that is that Obama has lied, or should I say flip flopped so many times that you just don't know what to believe about anything he says. so I will always be skeptical about what he's doing and why.

I'm glad you realized it can be played both ways.

:toast:

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 07:55 PM
For anyone who still has their panties in a twist about this, an advisor to Obama, Air Force Major General Scott Gration explains why they canceled the trip:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/

An Obama adviser, Air Force Maj. Gen. Scott Gration (Ret.), later elaborated on Obama's decision to skip the event.

"We learned from the Pentagon last night that the visit would be viewed instead as a campaign event," Gration said. "Sen. Obama did not want to have a trip to see our wounded warriors perveived as a campaign event when his visit was to show his appreciation for our troops and decided instead not to go.

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 07:56 PM
And thanks to Zach for proving my point in this thread.

Thank you, Zach. :D

Yea. You had a point.

You trying to tell me that you somehow reached the level of "I can make a solid argument" one day and then promoted yourself to someone that can make their own point without anyone else noticing. Not likely.

Great group called the Macabees
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dvr8DGuw0cw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dvr8DGuw0cw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

memyselfI
NObama just lost the election. :eek:

|Zach|

Fact.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
For anyone who still has their panties in a twist about this, an advisor to Obama, Air Force Major General Scott Gration explains why they canceled the trip:

An Obama adviser, Air Force Maj. Gen. Scott Gration (Ret.), later elaborated on Obama's decision to skip the event.

"We learned from the Pentagon last night that the visit would be viewed instead as a campaign event," Gration said. "Sen. Obama did not want to have a trip to see our wounded warriors perveived as a campaign event when his visit was to show his appreciation for our troops and decided instead not to go.

Why didn't Obama just come out and say that? that's a reasonable excuse.

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Do you support Larry Sinclair?

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM

His adviser did just say that.

memyselfI
Do you support Larry Sinclair?

No. He sounds like a fraud trying to defraud a fraud.

|Zach|
His adviser did just say that.

Fact.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Yea. You had a point.

You trying to tell me that you somehow reached the level of "I can make a solid argument" one day and then promoted yourself to someone that can make their own point without anyone else noticing. Not likely.

Great group called the Macabees
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dvr8DGuw0cw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dvr8DGuw0cw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well, when you finally break the seal I hope your attitude will change. maybe they make a camera lens with a sexual aid these days? who knows? it might help your insecurity with the girls? :shrug:

HolmeZz
07-24-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm undecided right now.

About what exactly? Which jammies you'll be wearing to bed?

Go with the footies. The footies are always a safe bet.

Direckshun
I think he'll vote Obama.

|Zach|
Well, when you finally break the seal I hope your attitude will change. maybe they make a camera lens with a sexual aid these days? who knows? it might help your insecurity with the girls? :shrug:

This is the point where you act like you know me? :LOL:

memyselfI

Gee, an Obama apologist, er, supporter claiming after the fact what happened.

Face it, after showing his face to 200k people he looks like a jerk for not showing it to, say, 20 injured servicemen.

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 08:03 PM

Face it, after showing his face to 200k people he looks like a jerk for not showing it to, say, 20 injured servicemen.

Game changer!!!

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 08:03 PM

Sometimes I wonder how Obama is ever going to win the election without the crazy noquarter vote.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 08:04 PM

Go with the footies. The footies are always a safe bet.
You thinking about me in evening wear does not entirely surprise me. :Lin:
I think he'll vote Obama.
LMAO
This is the point where you act like you know me? :LOL:
Painful denial. it's ok, kid.

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Sometimes I wonder how Obama is ever going to win the election without the crazy noquarter vote.

The fringe of the party is just sitting around talking to itself.

It really is a fantastic thing. The ultra liberal side finally just bitched and whined themselves into obscurity.

Couldn't be happier.

HolmeZz
07-24-2008, 08:05 PM

Those same people were already calling him a jerk for speaking to 200,000 people in Berlin. I think they'll get over it.

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Painful denial. it's ok, kid.

You turned that around me with the quickness.

And that? I can respect. How is this...

Give me your tips with the ladies...

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=79810&stc=1&d=1216084105

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
You turned that around me with the quickness.

And that? I can respect. How is this...

Give me your tips with the ladies...

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=79810&stc=1&d=1216084105

I have nothing to hide little buddy. you want to come out east to the Chiefs/Jets game?

I'll even give you a free ticket. and there's more pics of me lying around here somewhere. go fetch me some more, boy!

|Zach|
07-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I have nothing to hide little buddy. you want to come out east to the Chiefs/Jets game?

I'll even give you a free ticket. and there's more pics of me lying around here somewhere. go fetch me some more, boy!

You trying to get marching orders from your inbox to decide what to say to me would just be too painful.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
You trying to get marching orders from your inbox to decide what to say to me would just be too painful.

ROFL

I was being serious about the ticket offer. and being serious again, I definitely don't take this place as seriously as you do though. :toast:

markk
07-24-2008, 08:17 PM
i see that things have devolved to making fun of each others' appearances now. how charming.

memyselfI
07-24-2008, 08:18 PM

It's not the NQ vote that will be impacted by this. It's the Indies and Red State America who will not be impressed by NObama addressing 200k socialists and not a couple dozen injured servicemen.

It's just one more piece for them to allow themselves to see NObama as all hat, no cattle. Or worse, not one of US but one of THEM.

Adept Havelock
07-24-2008, 08:18 PM
ROFL

I was being serious about the ticket offer. and being serious again, I definitely don't take this place as seriously as you do though. :toast:

Hey, if he won't take you up on it, if I ever find myself in Metropolis, I will. :thumb:

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 08:20 PM
i see that things have devolved to making fun of each others' appearances now. how charming.

It's really charming that he went searching for my Picture, since I've never posted his. I do think I touched a nerve, but I was just busting balls. I like doing that. o:-)

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey, if he won't take you up on it, if I ever find myself in Metropolis, I will. :thumb:

Adept, you're my boy. you are invited also. and we have a kick ass tailgate with the Kingsley in lot 11C.

http://www.jetnation.com/photoplog/file.php?n=673&w=l

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
It's not the NQ vote that will be impacted by this. It's the Indies and Red State America who will not be impressed by NObama addressing 200k socialists and not a couple dozen injured servicemen.

It's just one more piece for them to allow themselves to see NObama as all hat, no cattle. Or worse, not one of US but one of THEM.

So addressing 200,000 of our closest allies while they chant USA and wave American flags is somehow a bad thing? The only reason ANYONE considers the above a bad thing for Presidential candidate is because it is something Republicans have had no chance at doing in recent years, and thus they will do their best to convince the public that it is awful for our President to be well-liked by our allies.

***SPRAYER
07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Adept, you're my boy. you are invited also. and we have a kick ass tailgate with the Kingsley in lot 11C.

http://www.jetnation.com/photoplog/file.php?n=673&w=l

We were there the last time the Jets played the Chiefs.

;)

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
We were there the last time the Jets played the Chiefs.

;)

A lot of naked chicks in that thing that day if I remember correctly.

***SPRAYER
07-24-2008, 08:27 PM
because it is something Republicans have had no chance at doing in recent years

Merkel and Sarkozy are both pro-America. They beat their anti-America opponents quite handedly.

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Merkel and Sarkozy are both pro-America. They beat their anti-America opponents quite handedly.

Bush is hated by basically the entire world. McCain is not well-liked either.

***SPRAYER
07-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Why would it be inappropriate for the guy with a 50% chance of being commander in chief of the military to visit a military base?

No photo-ops. It would be innapropriate to bring NBC, CNN, CBS and ABC into the hospital with him.

This wasn't a fact-finding mission, as B.O. declared this was, this was B.O. campaigning, and on our dime.

markk
07-24-2008, 08:30 PM

haha.

At least half of the world doesn't even know his name.

***SPRAYER
07-24-2008, 08:34 PM

I'm not sure what your point is.

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure what your point is.

Then you haven't been reading the thread. It isn't my responsibility to help you improve your reading comprehension.

***SPRAYER
07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Then you haven't been reading the thread. It isn't my responsibility to help you improve your reading comprehension.

I have been reading the thread, that's why I'm confused. That's why I asked the question.

Name a few countries or "people" that hate "Bush".

HolmeZz
07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
A lot of naked chicks in that thing that day if I remember correctly.

I prefer my naked girls a little more naked than that.

memyselfI
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
So addressing 200,000 of our closest allies while they chant USA and wave American flags is somehow a bad thing? The only reason ANYONE considers the above a bad thing for Presidential candidate is because it is something Republicans have had no chance at doing in recent years, and thus they will do their best to convince the public that it is awful for our President to be well-liked by our allies.

Closest allies who cannot vote in the US while injured soldiers on the same soil CAN...

just sayin. It doesn't look good and those NObots who pass this off as more than a small gaffe do so at their own peril.

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
I prefer my naked girls a little more naked than that.

I can't post the naked ones. this is a g rated website, you know that.

HolmeZz
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
I can't post the naked ones. this is a g rated website, you know that.

That's why God invented the PM function.

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I have been reading the thread, that's why I'm confused. That's why I asked the question.

Name a few countries or "people" that hate "Bush".

Can I name continents instead? That would keep the list shorter.

***SPRAYER
07-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Can I name continents instead? That would keep the list shorter.

Sure, why not.

Name the continents that "liked" us before Bush, that don't "like" us now, and of course, the ones that will "like" us when B.O. is president.

:)

memyselfI
07-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Rumors going around the blogs that NObama's trip was canceled because the military would not allow NObama's cameras to appear at the event and NOT out of some concern for the troops. NObama's campaign better hope this is not the truth or if it is they can contain it. :eek:

Bill Parcells
07-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Rumors going around the blogs that NObama's trip was canceled because the military would not allow cameras for the event and NOT out of some concern for the troops. NObama's campaign better hope this is not the truth or if it is they can contain it. :eek:

Link to the rumors?

VAChief
07-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I watched all of the nightly news on NBC tonight, they reported that Obama was not allowed to visit, that the pentagon had stepped in to say it was inappropriate. I think it was Andrea Mitchell. Now I guess she could have made it up or gotten it wrong, but that's what she said.

Messier
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Rumors going around the blogs that NObama's trip was canceled because the military would not allow NObama's cameras to appear at the event and NOT out of some concern for the troops. NObama's campaign better hope this is not the truth or if it is they can contain it. :eek:

Could you list for me again all the things that Obama has done that stray so far from the roots of the Democratic party that caused you to give up the party and post things that rivals only the rwnjs. Are there no ideals that Obama has that you, in some way share? Even if you somehow think Obama is lying and will do nothing to further Democratic ideals, don't you at least want to take that chance against someone you know won't do those things? I don't even know if I care about your answer, it just doesn't make sense, unless you were one of those Hillary or no one people, but I don't think you were.

***SPRAYER
07-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I watched all of the nightly news on NBC tonight, they reported that Obama was not allowed to visit, that the pentagon had stepped in to say it was inappropriate. I think it was Andrea Mitchell. Now I guess she could have made it up or gotten it wrong, but that's what she said.

Yeah, it was innapropriate to bring the camera crews from CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC et al into the hospital.

So B.O. nixed it.

If he can't get a photo-op out of it, why do it?

Besides, he's received no bounce from this. I think he handlers are just looking to cut their losses and head back home.

memyselfI
07-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Link to the rumors?

Here is the link to the original source of the rumor. It does not say the staffer was a photographer.

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZDhkOGFiYTg3MWIxZTEyZGM4MDNiNDE0MTI2NmFkY2E=

UPDATE: A very interesting email from a source I must protect suggests that Obama's visit to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center had the green light until a campaign staffer raised a stink about going with Obama. (There are rules meant to ensure candidates do not use soldiers or military bases for campaign purposes, and they state that personal and committee staff may accompany a sitting senator on a visit but campaign staff may not.) I am told that when one of Obama's campaign staff was told he or she would be denied access, the visit was canceled.

beer bacon
07-24-2008, 09:51 PM

Did you get these rumors from Larry Sinclair by any chance?

memyselfI
07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Could you list for me again all the things that Obama has done that stray so far from the roots of the Democratic party that caused you to give up the party and post things that rivals only the rwnjs. Are there no ideals that Obama has that you, in some way share? Even if you somehow think Obama is lying and will do nothing to further Democratic ideals, don't you at least want to take that chance against someone you know won't do those things? I don't even know if I care about your answer, it just doesn't make sense, unless you were one of those Hillary or no one people, but I don't think you were.

NObama was the final straw. HE alone is not the cause of my disdain and disappearance from the Democratic party. The corruption that got him there is. But then it was just the latest in a string of things that have embarrassed and infuriated me about the party I'd supported for 26 years. Enabling GWB for 8 years has been the main catalyst.

As I said before, NObama is just the Zoolander for a bunch of corrupt officials who stand for nothing anymore. They say they do but when push comes to shove they've caved again and again FOR GWB. I shudder to think what they will do with one of them in power and all of the issues we have to fix.

memyselfI
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Did you get these rumors from Larry Sinclair by any chance?

LOL. No. NObama getting blow and/or blown by Larry Sinclair is the least of my worries about his character...

or lack there of.

***SPRAYER
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
As I said before, NObama is just the Zoolander for a bunch of corrupt officials who stand for nothing anymore. They say they do but when push comes to shove they've caved again and again FOR GWB. I shudder to think what they will do with one of them in power and all of the issues we have to fix.

I agree. I wish the Democrat party could shake loose the moonbat left, but it is obvious they are owned by moveon.org and the daily kos kids.

Messier
07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
NObama was the final straw. HE alone is not the cause of my disdain and disappearance from the Democratic party. The corruption that got him there is. But then it was just the latest in a string of things that have embarrassed and infuriated me about the party I'd supported for 26 years. Enabling GWB for 8 years has been the main catalyst.

And yet they are the only ones that come close to wanting to solve the issues we need to fix, but hey, you're free to feel that way.

markk
07-24-2008, 10:22 PM
wasn't there a dustup recently about someone else taping material from a military base with soldiers? I want to say it was a religious figure and the footage was going to be shown on whomever's television program.

HolmeZz
07-24-2008, 11:20 PM
I agree. I wish the Democrat party could shake loose the moonbat left...

Uh, you just agreed with the moonbat left.

HolmeZz
07-24-2008, 11:28 PM

There were never going to be network cameras at the event, judging from the fact that Obama's camp never put the stop on the itinerary they handed out to the media.

It was likely going to be closed to the major media, just like his trip to Afghanistan and Kuwait was.

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 11:33 PM
This election is really going to drive apart America.

All the better for the advancement of the North American Union agenda.

Taco John
07-24-2008, 11:38 PM

If we can't trust a rumor going around on blogs that Dense visits, just who CAN we trust?

|Zach|
07-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Link to the rumors?

Awesome, back in form I see.

irishjayhawk
07-25-2008, 12:39 AM

So...............

Does that make this a mole hill people turned into a mountain?

patteeu
07-25-2008, 06:48 AM
I agree. I wish the Democrat party could shake loose the moonbat left, but it is obvious they are owned by moveon.org and the daily kos kids.

Careful there. memyselfi is about as left as you can get without being a full blown communist (like penchief, lol). Her reasons for disliking Obama are similar to those of the good guys in that she sees Obama as a fraud, but if you dig deeper you find that she's not happy with him because she doesn't trust him to stay radical left.

***SPRAYER
07-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Careful there. memyselfi is about as left as you can get without being a full blown communist (like penchief, lol). Her reasons for disliking Obama are similar to those of the good guys in that she sees Obama as a fraud, but if you dig deeper you find that she's not happy with him because she doesn't trust him to stay radical left.

She doubts Obama's sincerity?

ROFL

markk
07-25-2008, 07:07 AM

he'll be the primary season Obama in office, I think. That is why the hard lefties around here have no problem with his general election song and dance right now. they know he'll govern from the far left because pelosi and reid and others will have their way with him if he doesn't, like the congressional dems did with Clinton in his first couple of years.

even if you believe the latest version of obama that he's not as old guard liberal as his till-recently positions are, putting a dem president in office who is an empty suit and wouldn't stand up to the dem congress (See - obama caves in on FISA) just puts reid and pelosi in the white house for all intents and purposes.

penchief
07-25-2008, 07:20 AM

The rumor is that he intended to go without cameras (just like he did when he visited the troops in Afghanistan) but that the pentagon leaned on him not to go because they told him it would be viewed as being political opportunism. Rumor is that Obama was respecting the wishes of the pentagon. Rumor is he's not happy now that he is getting blowback over it.

***SPRAYER
07-25-2008, 07:22 AM
The rumor is that he intended to go without cameras (just like he did when he visited the troops in Afghanistan) but that the pentagon leaned on him not to go because they told him it would be viewed as being political opportunism. Rumor is that Obama was respecting the wishes of the pentagon. Rumor is he's not happy now that he is getting blowback over it.

One military official who was working on the Obama visit said because political candidates are prohibited from using military installations as campaign backdrops, Obama's representatives were told, "he could only bring two or three of his Senate staff member, no campaign officials or workers." In addition, "Obama could not bring any media. Only military photographers would be permitted to record Obama's visit."

The official said "We didn't know why" the request to visit the wounded troops was withdrawn. "He (Obama) was more than welcome. We were all ready for him."

If it isn't a photo op, the Dalai Obama isn't interested. Why should he be? He's only real when the media's there to pretend that he is.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Link for the Opologists.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/24/1220011.aspx

*** UPDATE *** From NBC's Jim Miklaszewski and Courtney Kube
A U.S. military official tells NBC News they were making preparations for Sen. Barack Obama to visit wounded troops at the Landstuhl Medical Center at Ramstein, Germany on Friday, but "for some reason the visit was called off."

One military official who was working on the Obama visit said because political candidates are prohibited from using military installations as campaign backdrops, Obama's representatives were told, "he could only bring two or three of his Senate staff member, no campaign officials or workers." In addition,
"Obama could not bring any media. Only military photographers would be permitted to record Obama's visit."

The official said "We didn't know why" the request to visit the wounded troops was withdrawn. "He (Obama) was more than welcome. We were all ready for him."

There you go, HE could NOT control the setting or the output from it so he passed. Nice Commander in Chief material there.

ROFL

Chief Henry
07-25-2008, 08:25 AM
He could not bring his own camera's and campaign lapdogs, so he just decided to not go at all ????? WTF !!!! Barry does not go and visit the troops - but he could have,
unbeleavable. He couldn't go with out his handlers coddling him.

Now thats Preseidential. Maybe his handlers thought some of the GI's would give him the bird.

Duck Dog
07-25-2008, 08:54 AM

But that could be me.

Under fire? In a hospital? In Germany?

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Just wanted to repost my initial reaction to this story...

before it was found out that he passed on the visit due to the media aspect of the story.

All the money he spent and the goodwill he created overseas just to piss off the military and offend some Americans at home. ROFL

jAZ
07-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Why didn't they have these objections with Obama met with troops in Iraq?

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Why didn't they have these objections with Obama met with troops in Iraq?

jAZ, get up to speed. It wasn't about the military objections but about NObama not being able to take his own media to the event. His campaign lied about the reason.

I know it will be impossible for you to accept but it appears to be true.

***SPRAYER
07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
All the money he spent and the goodwill he created overseas just to piss off the military and offend some Americans at home. ROFL

It was our money (taxpayers). This trip was official business.

banyon
07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
It was our money (taxpayers). This trip was official business.

Did you read the article?

***SPRAYER
07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Did you read the article?

You're right, my mistake.

Iraq and Afghanistan were on our dime, not Germany. Was Israel part of the "fact finding" mission?

StcChief
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Bark's money, so don't wanna spend it to visit the troops. Got it.

the Talking Can
07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
jAZ, get up to speed. It wasn't about the military objections but about NObama not being able to take his own media to the event. His campaign lied about the reason.

you are the dumbest **** wad on the planet (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2008/07/25/mitchell-scuttlebutt-says-mccain-sabotaged-obama-military-hospital)...just dumber than hell....

ANDREA MITCHELL: The background on the military flap is that they [Obama campaign] had clearly planned a trip to Ramstein [AFB]. They were planning to visit the injured troops. And then the Pentagon explained that they couldn't go as part of a political trip. The Obama campaign thought that they could go, leave the press corps on the tarmac, and then take off with military escort and make this one last visit. As he did in Iraq, by the way. He visited a casualty unit in the Green Zone, without photographers, as part of the congressional delegation. But the military said that the rules are that he could only go as part of a previously-arranged congressional delegation, to Ramstein.

Clearly, people in the campaign are really angry. They had wanted this to be the final stop on the trip here in Germany, and to do it without the press corps, just to do it on his own. But the objections of the military are that he is now being staffed by campaign aides, not by his Senate staff, who are the people of course with him when he went with Hagel and Jack Reed in Iraq. So, you know, the anger here in the campaign is pretty intense at the Pentagon. They feel that the military are drawing some lines--they're not saying this publicly of course--but drawing lines that they might have drawn for other people. He was planning to just go by himself, not with cameras, not with any entourage, as he had done in Walter Reed in the past in Washington, as he did in Iraq. Joe.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM

Please don't dodge my question.

What changed between his trip to visit troops in Iraq both with and without media and his attempted trip to visit troops in Germany with or without media?

What chagned?

Something smells here and you are working OVERTIME to avoid smelling it.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Iraq and Afghanistan were on our dime, not Germany. Was Israel part of the "fact finding" mission?
That would be part of what changed, then.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
you are the dumbest **** wad on the planet (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2008/07/25/mitchell-scuttlebutt-says-mccain-sabotaged-obama-military-hospital)...just dumber than hell....

BOO HOO. The NObama campaign is angry and is now changing their story. And now they are mad at the Pentagon.

Oh, this just keeps getting better. Andrea is doing the Messiah NO favors. ROFL

jAZ
07-25-2008, 10:21 AM

Maybe I should just read before I reply upstream.

The military needs to go on record about this and put the off the record he-said-she-said to rest.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Please don't dodge my question.

What changed between his trip to visit troops in Iraq both with and without media and his attempted trip to visit troops in Germany with or without media?

What chagned?

Something smells here and you are working OVERTIME to avoid smelling it.

I'm sure it's political and NObama will try to make it look like they screwed him somehow. :deevee:

jAZ
07-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm sure it's political and NObama will try to make it look like they screwed him somehow. :deevee:
You're really trying to not see anything but what makes you feel tingly aren't you.

I don't know what the reality is, but I do know that Obama met with troops in front of the media in Iraq. So that's not an issue on it's own. He met with wonded troops in Iraq without the media. So that's not an issue on it's own. The military permitted it in both cases at the time.

Both of those facts destroy any controvrsey you are hoping for.

It seems that the military didn't extend the Senator the same freedom they do the President when he mixes political events and official business on the same trip. Then the question is why not? Who made that call?

That's why the military needs to go on record, so that their official version of facts are on record.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
It seems that the military didn't extend the Senator the same freedom they do the President when he mixes political events and official business on the same trip. Then the question is why not? Who made that call?

That's why the military needs to go on record, so that their official version of facts are on record.

Maybe it's because they, unlike you, can see that NObama is not the POTUS yet.

They don't have to extend him anything that a CIC would receive even though they have.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080722/i/r2324109171.jpg?x=400&y=280&sig=Ps9jl3QUaAThCtQgHJsc2A--

jAZ
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Maybe it's because they, unlike you, can see that NObama is not the POTUS yet.

They don't have to extend him anything that a CIC would receive even though they have.

He's still an elected official, not matter how much you hate.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
He's still an elected official, not matter how much you hate.

So that entitles him to CIC treatment? :hmmm:

markk
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080722/i/r2324109171.jpg?x=400&y=280&sig=Ps9jl3QUaAThCtQgHJsc2A--

So, why is a presidential candidate being saluted?

His head appears to be turned toward the inside of the plane, maybe there is an officer out of view or something I guess.

You would think he might have told the military politely that he appreciates the gesture but he's a civilian and not president so it's not necessary.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
So, why is a presidential candidate being saluted?

His head appears to be turned toward the inside of the plane, maybe there is an officer out of view or something I guess.

You would think he might have told the military politely that he appreciates the gesture but he's a civilian and not president so it's not necessary.

There isn't. The same view of the picture can be seen in different angles and no officer was there. Chances are it was a gesture of respect. But that should not be construed as the same belief the Obots have that he's already won the fuggin election and should be treated as such.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM
So that entitles him to CIC treatment? :hmmm:
Who says it's CIC treatment? At the very least, it's "elected official" treatment. It might be CIC treatment, much like secret service is as well. It might be CIC treatment unlike secret service. You've ignored all of this is your rush to tingle.

All I'm pointing out is that you don't get to make up facts about the matter. And you don't get to ignore facts that kill your tingle.

What you should be calling for is an official explanation from the military. That puts Obama's camp against a firm wall. If Obama's camp is in the wrong, going on record puts them in a corner. Right now, you are cheering unnamed sources and unofficial claims.

My guess is that the official story will be one that supports Obama's position, and someone will get in trouble for trying to cause political trouble by denying a standard practice. The sort of practice that's extended to Senators and Legislators all the time when they are traveling their states. And that the practice isn't limited to CIC at all.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
My guess is that the official story will be one that supports Obama's position, and someone will get in trouble for trying to cause political trouble by denying a standard practice. The sort of practice that's extended to Senators and Legislators all the time when they are traveling their states. And that the practice isn't limited to CIC at all.

Your guess would be wrong. He could not bring campaign staff so he chose not to go. He did call them though. Lest he waste an opportunity to do the right thing for the wrong reasons. :rolleyes:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aUYxHvAZThTg&refer=home

Pentagon spokeswoman Elizabeth Hibner said the base was ``prepared to host him, but his campaign canceled the visit.''

`Election Capacity'

Obama ``was told he could visit as an official but he cannot come in an election capacity, not visit with his campaign staff,'' Hibner said in a telephone interview.

The Pentagon considered two Obama aides, Gration and Jeff Kiernan, to be members of his campaign team and therefore not permitted to accompany the senator to Landstuhl, according to a Pentagon letter sent by European Command spokesman John Dorrian. Obama could only be accompanied by one of his Senate staff and ``the appropriate number of security personnel.''

irishjayhawk
07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Under fire? In a hospital? In Germany?

If you read what McCain's advisor said, and then read what I posted, you'll see why I said it.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
There isn't. The same view of the picture can be seen in different angles and no officer was there. Chances are it was a gesture of respect. But that should not be construed as the same belief the Obots have that he's already won the fuggin election and should be treated as such.

Quote one person who claims that Obama should be saluted by soldiers today because he's going to win in November.

SCTrojan
07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't know what the reality is, but I do know that Obama met with troops in front of the media in Iraq. So that's not an issue on it's own. He met with wonded troops in Iraq without the media. So that's not an issue on it's own. The military permitted it in both cases at the time.

As a sitting Senator, Senator Obama is certainly allowed and encouraged to visit military installations, be they a motor pool or a hospital. As a sitting Senator, he has oversight responsibilities that he may believe requires first-hand observation of military activities and discussions with military leaders. That is what he did, along with Senators Reed and Hagel in Iraq and Afghanistan - he carried out his responsibilities as a U.S. Senator.

With regard to visiting wounded troops, there are privacy considerations that must be addressed prior to any media coverage. Primary among those is the individual's permission. That is probably why media did not accompany the delegation when they visited wounded troops in Iraq - the requirements for media coverage had not been met.

Senator Obama is also a presidential candidate, and there are specific policies that address what candidates for office can and cannot do on military installations, especially during an election year. He couldn't - nor could any other candidate for that matter - hold a campaign rally on a military installation, for example.

In this instance, he was probably told that he could visit, but as both a Senator and political candidate, there were certain parameters he'd have to follow. I suspect he was told that media could not accompany due to the privacy considerations I mentioned before.

He was probably told that his campaign staff could not accompany him, as that would constitute a campaign visit, but his Senate staff could. As I understand it, it became a campaign trip once he left Senators Reed and Hagel after Iraq. It's a fine line to tread, but I guess there has to be some delineation between the two positions he holds as sitting Senator and presidential candidate.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 12:03 PM
He was probably told that his campaign staff could not accompany him, as that would constitute a campaign visit, but his Senate staff could. As I understand it, it became a campaign trip once he left Senators Reed and Hagel after Iraq. It's a fine line to tread, but I guess there has to be some delineation between the two positions he holds as sitting Senator and presidential candidate.

All seems reasonable. It still doesn't explain why the military wanted to brand his visit as a campaign visit if he was going alone without press. Having that branding created a no-win situation where if he goes, he's attacked for exploiting wonded troops to get elected. If he cancels to avoid that potential conflict of interest, he's attacked for disrespecting the troops.

I still want to know why they needed to call it a campaign visit, when he was going to basically go alone.

beer bacon
07-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I would also like to know why they gave him the OK weeks in advance then decided to give him this little update a day before he was scheduled to arrive.

***SPRAYER
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I would also like to know why they gave him the OK weeks in advance then decided to give him this little update a day before he was scheduled to arrive.

Maybe it was payback for telling the press what he and Maliki discussed in private? Just a guess, making conversation.

SCTrojan
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
All seems reasonable. It still doesn't explain why the military wanted to brand his visit as a campaign visit if he was going alone without press. Having that branding created a no-win situation where if he goes, he's attacked for exploiting wonded troops to get elected. If he cancels to avoid that potential conflict of interest, he's attacked for disrespecting the troops.

I still want to know why they needed to call it a campaign visit, when he was going to basically go alone.

I don't know that the military did characterize the visit. I used the term "campaign trip" because it was paid for by campaign funds as opposed to government funds.

I would guess that Obama's support people had been coordinating the visit for some time and, as is typical for these types of trips, only focused on it fully when it was the next item on the agenda. That's when the particulars were probably chewed on.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Maybe it was payback for telling the press what he and Maliki discussed in private? Just a guess, making conversation.

Maybe they asked the soldiers if they wanted him there...:hmmm:

mlyonsd
07-25-2008, 12:23 PM
The Pentagon didn't tell him he couldn't go.

Maybe if he had made a point to visit before this it wouldn't be an issue.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
The Pentagon didn't tell him he couldn't go.

Maybe if he had made a point to visit before this it wouldn't be an issue.

If he just went without his handlers then it wouldn't be an issue.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Then someone should be court marshalled.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM
I would guess that Obama's support people had been coordinating the visit for some time and, as is typical for these types of trips, only focused on it fully when it was the next item on the agenda. That's when the particulars were probably chewed on.
I'm sure that's a factor in the whole thing, just because that's how life works.

Donger
07-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Sounds like Barack Hussein chose not to visit our wounded because he wouldn't go as a mere senator, eh?

beer bacon
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM

So the Pentagon is being used to punish rival politicians?

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Anyone else watching this press conference?

McCain, the man who opposed the GI Bill because it offered too much in the way of benefits, just talked about Obama opposing funding "for the troops."

And he just brought up the Sunni Awakening in Anbar again as a note in favor of the Surge. Holy ****ing Christ.

"They must be treated," but not TOO well, right John?

jAZ
07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/Obama_camp_says_Pentagon_nixed_troop_visit.html?showall

My colleague Carrie Budoff Brown, traveling with Obama, sends over more information from a briefing offered by Gibbs:

Senior strategist Robert Gibbs said the visit to the military hospital in Germany had been in the works for about three weeks, with Gration serving as the campaign's contact with the Pentagon.

The Pentagon cleared the Obama plan to land at the base on either July 15 or 16, Gibbs said. The plane needed the clearance because of restrictions on landing nonmilitary aircraft there, he said.

But then on Wednesday, Gration told Obama aides that the Pentagon had informed him that the visit could be viewed as a campaign stop.

"They cited a regulation," Gibbs said of their point of contact, described as legislative affairs in the office of the secretary.

"We believed that based on the information we received that any presence, even his own and only his own, would get into a back and forth on whether his own presence was a campaign event," Gibbs said.

Obama decided on the flight Wednesday from Tel Aviv to Berlin not to visit the hospital.

Asked why he believed the Pentagon would clear the visit, then raised questions about it, Gibbs declined to speculate: "I don't know what to make of it."

Asked whether he thought the Pentagon set up the campaign for a political embarrassment, Gibbs said no.

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/Obama_camp_says_Pentagon_nixed_troop_visit.html?showall

My colleague Carrie Budoff Brown, traveling with Obama, sends over more information from a briefing offered by Gibbs:

Senior strategist Robert Gibbs said the visit to the military hospital in Germany had been in the works for about three weeks, with Gration serving as the campaign's contact with the Pentagon.

The Pentagon cleared the Obama plan to land at the base on either July 15 or 16, Gibbs said. The plane needed the clearance because of restrictions on landing nonmilitary aircraft there, he said.

But then on Wednesday, Gration told Obama aides that the Pentagon had informed him that the visit could be viewed as a campaign stop.

"They cited a regulation," Gibbs said of their point of contact, described as legislative affairs in the office of the secretary.

"We believed that based on the information we received that any presence, even his own and only his own, would get into a back and forth on whether his own presence was a campaign event," Gibbs said.

Obama decided on the flight Wednesday from Tel Aviv to Berlin not to visit the hospital.

Asked why he believed the Pentagon would clear the visit, then raised questions about it, Gibbs declined to speculate: "I don't know what to make of it."

Asked whether he thought the Pentagon set up the campaign for a political embarrassment, Gibbs said no.**** you and your "reality." He clearly hates the troops.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
So the Pentagon is being used to punish rival politicians?

That's what he's saying, that's not what the Obama camp is saying. But you have to wonder given the last minute change of opinion by the base and the Pentagon.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Sounds like Barack Hussein chose not to visit our wounded because he wouldn't go as a mere senator, eh?

They refused to provide water for HIM to walk on??? :deevee: ROFL

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
**** you and your "reality." He clearly hates the troops.

Chief Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell confirmed to Politico that Department of Defense officials cautioned Barack Obama's campaign that his planned visit to wounded American troops in Germany could not be political in nature and that he would be barred from bringing along campaign staff and reporters. He also said that Cindy McCain recently requested to visit sailors aboard the U.S.N.S. Comfort and was denied.

"Sen. Obama is welcome to visit Landstuhl or any military hospital in his official capacity as a United States senator," Morrell said in a brief interview. "But there is a DOD policy which governs campaigning and electioneering at military facilities that would have to be respected if he were to visit. That distinction was relayed and made clear to campaign, and they made a decision on their own based on that guidance."

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
They refused to provide water for HIM to walk on??? :deevee: ROFL

If the Pentagon is being accurate, Barack Hussein could have visited the wounded without reporters or any campaign staff. He chose not to.

It also seems clear that he could have visited them with his senate staff, but I just read that he didn't bring any along. I'm not sure how that jives with the whole, "This isn't a rally or campaign trip" stuff.

jAZ
07-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Chief Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell confirmed to Politico that Department of Defense officials cautioned Barack Obama's campaign that his planned visit to wounded American troops in Germany could not be political in nature and that he would be barred from bringing along campaign staff and reporters. He also said that Cindy McCain recently requested to visit sailors aboard the U.S.N.S. Comfort and was denied.

"Sen. Obama is welcome to visit Landstuhl or any military hospital in his official capacity as a United States senator," Morrell said in a brief interview. "But there is a DOD policy which governs campaigning and electioneering at military facilities that would have to be respected if he were to visit. That distinction was relayed and made clear to campaign, and they made a decision on their own based on that guidance."
None of that contradicts what I posted. They gave two different rulings. One 3 weeks ago and one in mid-air between prior stops. You think they might have reordered the visits (or never scheduled it to begin with) if they had been told this ruling up front?

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
None of that contradicts what I posted. They gave two different rulings. One 3 weeks ago and one in mid-air between prior stops. You think they might have reordered the visits (or never scheduled it to begin with) if they had been told this ruling up front?

I don't know. I find it somewhat sad that Barack Hussein chose to not visit our wounded, don't you?

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know. I find it somewhat sad that Barack Hussein chose to not visit our wounded, don't you?

Sad?

I think it marks the beginning of HIS demise.

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Sad?

I think it marks the beginning of HIS demise.Well, since your analysis has been so spot-on to this point...

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Sad?

You've already deemed a bunch of other stuff the beginning of his demise. Did you not like how all those other beginnings began?

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, since your analysis has been so spot-on to this point...

Almost as impressive as recxjakes track record. ;)

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Sad?

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it certainly is very telling. I suppose his compassion is linked with whether or not cameras are there to record it.

mlyonsd
07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
If he just went without his handlers then it wouldn't be an issue.

That's my point. Like maybe he should have visited before it looked like a campaign stop.

|Zach|
07-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Sad?

Fact.

Carlota69
07-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Ho hum! Here we are again...the same Ol shit...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/puzzlessue/Animated/Animals/10_9_136v1.gif

Radar Chief
07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Ho hum! Here we are again...the same Ol shit...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/puzzlessue/Animated/Animals/10_9_136v1.gif

You're just now figuring that one out?

Carlota69
07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
You're just now figuring that one out?

No Darlin', just pointing it out. This thread is the epitome of it, thats all.

Radar Chief
07-25-2008, 04:22 PM
No Darlin', just pointing it out. This thread is the epitome of it, thats all.

Agreed. Thanks for the .gif, BTW.
Here are a couple in return.

Carlota69
07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Agreed. Thanks for the .gif, BTW.
Here are a couple in return.

Nice!!!!:D

irishjayhawk
07-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Did we ever find out if this was a mole hill or a mountain?

jAZ
07-26-2008, 12:57 AM
What's sad is you don't have an intellectually honest bone in your body.

If he visited while on a campaign funded trip and made the visit against the orders of the military, he'd be villified by you and the rest of the ridiculously dishonest right for trying exploiting the wounded troops for political gain.

They told him it was OK without qualification until the last minute and then sprung a change of opinion on him that forces him to choose between avoiding being seen as exploiting wounded troops or being accused of hating the troops.

BigChiefFan
07-26-2008, 09:21 AM
It's been said Obama didn't want to exploit the injured troops for political gain. Jeez, we have a politician with actual moral fortitude and some want to villanize him for taking the high road.

penchief
07-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Has anyone mentioned that Obama did visit injured soldiers in the Green Zone without publicity? That pretty much puts a damper on the claims that he doesn't care about the troops because of this particular "mole hill to mountain" media creation.

It's just another example of personal attacks being lobbed at him from the cheap seats by those who are looking for anything they can, and who are willing to overlook the role of the pentagon in this manufactured bruhaha.

It's just more petty slime oozing form the republican party because they're sucking hind teet and they know it.

Mr. Kotter
07-26-2008, 10:02 AM
A serious, though not fatal, misstep by Obama....in this case, IMHO. :shake:

BigChiefFan
07-26-2008, 10:03 AM
A serious, though not fatal, misstep by Obama....in this case, IMHO. :shake:Not using the wounded for political gain is a misstep? Hardly.

Mr. Kotter
07-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Not using the wounded for political gain is a misstep? Hardly.

That's the Obama camp spin on this; glad to see you got your talking points.

OTOH, as a veteran and tepid Obama supporter myself....I think he blew an opportunity. Reasonable people can disagree about it though.

I suspect it will not play well among many independent/conservative voters with whom Obama still needs to prove himself though.

BigChiefFan
07-26-2008, 10:19 AM
That's the Obama camp spin on this; glad to see you got your talking points.

OTOH, as a veteran and tepid Obama supporter myself....I think he blew an opportunity. Reasonable people can disagree about it though.

I suspect it will not play well among many independent/conservative voters with whom Obama still needs to prove himself though.
If people are basing whether they vote for him based on this, they aren't informed enough in the first place. This is the McCain camp making a big deal out of nothing, which has been his MO.

Oh I forgot. Obama spat on the troops, right?;)

Mayor McCheese is painting himself in a corner and he doesn't even realize it.

***SPRAYER
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Has anyone mentioned that Obama did visit injured soldiers in the Green Zone without publicity?

If there wasn't any publicity, how did you find out?

penchief
07-26-2008, 06:54 PM
If there wasn't any publicity, how did you find out?

Apparently there wasn't any publicity at the time. Reporting it after the fact kind of proves that. Also, an after-the-fact account of that visit doesn't necessarily equate to publicity, either.

My guess is that whoever reported it later felt that a disservice was being done by those who were casting aspersions about Obama's motives and impugning his character in a dishonest way regarding the troops.

***SPRAYER
07-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Apparently there wasn't any publicity at the time. Reporting it after the fact kind of proves that.

In the sense that a woman might be "kind of" pregnant?

beer bacon
07-26-2008, 08:06 PM
In the sense that a woman might be "kind of" pregnant?

No.

***SPRAYER
07-26-2008, 08:16 PM
No.

Saying that he visited wounded troops in Iraq is conjecture. You don't know if he did or didn't.

beer bacon
07-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Saying that he visited wounded troops in Iraq is conjecture. You don't know if he did or didn't.

Except that we do know.

***SPRAYER
07-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Except that we do know.

Link?

beer bacon
07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Link?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0708/McCain_attacks_on_troop_visit.html#comments

As Sen. Obama said today, the last thing he wanted was to have injured soldiers get pulled into the back and forth of a political campaign. That's why we imagine Sen. McCain would be surprised that his campaign released this wildly inappropriate accusation that politicizes the issue. Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain share the belief that we must do everything we can to honor and support our troops, which is why Senator Obama has met with our men and women in uniform in Iraq and Afghanistan this week and visited wounded soldiers at Walter Reed numerous times.

***SPRAYER
07-26-2008, 08:36 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0708/McCain_attacks_on_troop_visit.html#comments

As Sen. Obama said today, the last thing he wanted was to have injured soldiers get pulled into the back and forth of a political campaign. That's why we imagine Sen. McCain would be surprised that his campaign released this wildly inappropriate accusation that politicizes the issue. Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain share the belief that we must do everything we can to honor and support our troops, which is why Senator Obama has met with our men and women in uniform in Iraq and Afghanistan this week and visited wounded soldiers at Walter Reed numerous times.

Walter Reed isn't in Iraq.

beer bacon
07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Walter Reed isn't in Iraq.

Learn to read.

which is why Senator Obama has met with our men and women in uniform in Iraq

***SPRAYER
07-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Learn to read.

which is why Senator Obama has met with our men and women in uniform in Iraq

That doesn't say anything about wounded troops. I know he played basketball in Afghanistan but thats about it.

beer bacon
07-26-2008, 09:15 PM
That doesn't say anything about wounded troops. I know he played basketball in Afghanistan but thats about it.

I don't understand the need for this distinction. Does Obama only hate wounded troops? Can you tell me what it would say about Obama if he didn't specifically go to visit wounded soldiers when he was in Iraq, but instead just visited soldiers in general?

HolmeZz
07-27-2008, 02:00 AM

Pretty sure Obama met with wounded troops while in the Green Zone.

I don't even understand the distinction you're attempting to make.

jAZ
07-27-2008, 02:01 AM
July 26, 2008 - The day McCain officially turns into Bush.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/49hC9TpP_rY&fs=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/49hC9TpP_rY&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SBK
07-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Does it look bad that you choose not to visit wounded troops because you can't bring cameras in? Yes. Is it a campaign killer, and will most people ever even hear about it? Nope.

***SPRAYER
07-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Pretty sure Obama met with wounded troops while in the Green Zone.

I don't even understand the distinction you're attempting to make.

I'm not making any distinctions. You are making rationalizations, based entirely on conjecture.

It was on B.O.'s ittinerary that day in Germany to visit troops in the hospital. He bailed at the last minute.

That is the issue.

HonestChieffan
07-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Hes phoney. The more he is in public without a script the greater his danger of showing what a sleazeball he is.

SBK
07-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Hes phoney. The more he is in public without a script the greater his danger of showing what a sleazeball he is.

He's not teh phony, he's teh chozen 1, born to bring light to teh world!!11!

StcChief
07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
He's not teh phony, he's teh chozen 1, born to bring light to teh world!!11!
he's was bad news in crooked Illinois.... it's all gonna show, slow but surely he is being exposed.

beer bacon
07-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Does it look bad that you choose not to visit wounded troops because you can't bring cameras in? Yes. Is it a campaign killer, and will most people ever even hear about it? Nope.

That never ever happened. Obama did not take photographers or jounalists in with him when he visited troops in Kuwait, Afghanistan, or Iraq, and the only people that were going to join him at Landstuhl was a retired military officer and Secret Service agents. The ruckus happened because a few weeks before the trip DoD officials gave Obama the OK for the visit. Then, the day before the visit the DoD contact Obama's campaign and told him that he couldn't bring the retired military office because he would be considered a campaign advisor.

Can you please stop peddling this bullshit? Again, Barack Obama does not make a practice of taking photographers and journalists with him on visits to military bases and hospitals. He did not do this at anytime on his trip to the ME and Europe. It has no grounding in reality.

beer bacon
07-27-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not making any distinctions. You are making rationalizations, based entirely on conjecture.

It was on B.O.'s ittinerary that day in Germany to visit troops in the hospital. He bailed at the last minute.

That is the issue.

The issue is that McCain's campaign is reeling about like a drunken freshman, spewing out any idiocy Randy Scheunemann, Rove acolyte, can come up with, and some dumbasses like you run with it.

***SPRAYER
07-27-2008, 12:58 PM
The issue is that McCain's campaign is reeling about like a drunken freshman, spewing out any idiocy Randy Scheunemann, Rove acolyte, can come up with, and some dumbasses like you run with it.

:LOL:

McCain's campaign is reeling? That's why he is running head to head in the polls with B.O.

I'm sure it's driving you nuts. Take it out on me if you wish, I can take it.

;)

beer bacon
07-27-2008, 01:09 PM
:LOL:

McCain's campaign is reeling? That's why he is running head to head in the polls with B.O.

I'm sure it's driving you nuts. Take it out on me if you wish, I can take it.

;)

In today's Gallup poll, Obama leads McCain 49-40. That is Obama's biggest lead on McCain since Hillary dropped out of the race. Don't let the facts get in the way of your argument. The GOP doesn't.

Messier
07-27-2008, 01:13 PM

Why is he a phoney and a sleazeball?

penchief
07-27-2008, 02:07 PM

Explain exactly how it is that he's a phoney sleazeball. I've been watching the same thing you have and he seems pretty measured in his answers. I don't know what it is that you see that makes you so sure that he's hiding something.

Now, if you want to talk about phoney sleazeballs..............

***SPRAYER
07-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Explain exactly how it is that he's a phoney sleazeball.

"I can no longer disown Rev. Wright than I can my own grandmother".

A few weeks later Wright was under the bus.

beer bacon
07-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Barack Obama is an uppity sleazeball. He should know his place and stick to pimping, rapping, or playing in the NBA.

jAZ
07-27-2008, 02:27 PM
...because you can't bring cameras in? Yes.
That's the "Bush" part. That's BS.

***SPRAYER
07-27-2008, 02:33 PM
A Clarification
A Message to American Voters
By Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)

My Fellow Americans:

You may have read recent news reports that suggest I have modified my position regarding the redeployment of American military personnel in Iraq. Unfortunately, these reports have been the source of much confusion and anxiety among the millions of voters who have supported my campaign, and I would like to take this opportunity to address their concerns.

Let me be crystal clear: if elected president, my first act will be to call for the immediate withdrawal of all American troops from Iraq. I have always been consistent and forthright in this position, and I want to reassure my supporters that my recent statement backtracking from it was just some bullshit my staff came up with to tack to the center for the general election. To win this election, it will be critical to appeal to the dwindling but stubborn group of idiots who cling to fantasies of American "victory" in this tragic disaster. It's an unfortunate part of the complicated game of presidential politics, but let's face it: I can't stop this war if I'm not in the White House. However, you should know by now that whatever I may say from now until November, once elected I will immediately pull the rug from these gullible pro-war rubes.

Or will I? As is obvious to all but the most deluded HuffPo retard, the surge in Iraq has produced dramatic improvements in security throughout Iraq, and the roots of a stable pro-American democracy. We have the terrorists on the run, and it would obviously be crazy for us to pull our troops from the region just as we are on the verge of victory. And it is equally obvious that everything I said in the previous paragraph was designed to placate the naive hipster moonbats I brilliantly exploited to destroy the Clintons. (You're welcome.) Now that the nomination is in the bag, I am finally free to stake out my genuine pro-victory Iraq position, and have a good laugh while the dKos morons screech like a bunch of apoplectic howler monkeys. Let's face it: at the rate I'm heading right on national security, I'll be raining nukes on Tehran by February.

See what I mean? That previous paragraph should be a signal to all of you in the progressive community just how committed I am to an immediate troop withdrawal. If that's the kind of shameless bellicose jingoism it takes to temporarily fool the neocons and extra-chromosome Jebus tards, I will do it. Just as I was willing to wear the stupid flag lapel pin to satisfy their lust for empty "patriotic" symbolism. But deep in your heart you know my real goal: to end this war, and atone to the world for the 28 nightmare years of Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Bush fascism. Imagine the looks on the multinational plutocrats' faces when I sign the bill that nationalizes their stupid oil industry!

And that there is exactly the kind of transparent commie crap that left wing lunatics eat up. It's unfortunate that I had to participate in it during the primary season, but just look at all of the comsymps and pinkos I've thrown under the bus in the last 6 weeks - Jeremiah Wright, Michael Pfleger, Samantha Power, Jim Johnson, the list goes on. And you know what? I enjoyed it. Ask yourself this: when was the last time John McCain stabbed a lefty asshole in the back? Then ask yourself: who's the real conservative in this race?

In conclusion, this should make it clear to the broad moderate middle mainstream of independent American voters that I am willing to reach out to both sides of the contentious war debate, and forge a new national consensus based on unity. Together, we can build a new era of hope, and bring an end to politics of cynicism.

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2008/07/a-clarification.html

patteeu
07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
"I can no longer disown Rev. Wright than I can my own grandmother".

A few weeks later Wright was under the bus.

In fairness to Obama, so was his grandmother. :)