PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Xbox 360#3 Just Died

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Another RRoD. I had two die that I had fixed through my BB warranty, but with that fulfilled, and the dumbassery of the BB staff who said I couldn't keep my hard drive with the new Box (despite them letting me do it on the first), I said the hell with it and we'll see how long it lasts.

Well the verdict is in: 7 months.

360#1 Lived from 9/06-2/07
#2 Lived from 2/07-1/07 (early)
#3 (With the Falcon Chip) 1/08 (early) -7/08 (late)

Wow. I have no other words.

07-24-2008, 09:53 PM
That sucks. M$ will fix it up though.

teedubya
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
You should get a PS3 [/tiny evel]

Valiant
07-24-2008, 11:09 PM
How much do you use it?? I am still on my original launch 360...

Something has to be environmental.. Bad power in the house, humidity, dust..

That or you have some hella bad luck..

QuikSsurfer
07-24-2008, 11:12 PM
How much do you use it?? I am still on my original launch 360...

Something has to be environmental.. Bad power in the house, humidity, dust..

That or you have some hella bad luck..

You'd be pretty lucky if your launch system made it another 6 months.
Unless you never turn it on.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-24-2008, 11:26 PM
ps3 sucks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Nothing environmental. Every Xbox has been in an A/V rack that has 10 inches of clearance above, and no sides trapping the air in. I even put an old Computer PSU in the rack and put in some 80mm fans to suck out more of the heat that the A/V Receiver and 360 would produce in the ambient air.

I live inside the city limits, without a dirt road for miles. The house is air conditioned, and my dogs have short hair that is regularly groomed.

It's just bad luck and poor manufacturing.

Assuming the 33% failure rate, I had a 1/27 chance of this happening. Slightly worse odds than needing one of two cards in the deck to fall on the river, but not impossible.

I already printed out the shipping label, and it's off to UPS in the morning.

I even have a power conditioner (cheap, but they don't need to be expensive). the one thing I don't have on the system is a UPS.

FYI: The two houses I've lived in have been 650 miles apart, FWIW, and both were less than five years old, which should mitigate the chances of shitty/substandard/decaying wiring.

Frazod
07-24-2008, 11:51 PM
I haven't played mine in months. All the games I bought the f#cking thing for in the first place are out for PC now, so I just ended up buying the PC versions, which, of course, are infinitely better than their xbox counterparts (except for the Mako in Mass Effect, which is actually even worse on the PC, if you can believe that). At the time I bought the xbox, I hadn't yet got my big TV, so it never occurred to me at the time that I would end up plugging the computer into the TV and achieving the same effect as playing the xbox. All in all, it was pretty much a waste of money. The only reason I can think of to own it is having the option of not waiting 6-9 months for the PC versions of the games I want.

I assume the next time I fire up the xbox will be in September when Fable II comes out. Until then, screw it.

07-24-2008, 11:53 PM
I haven't played mine in months. All the games I bought the f#cking thing for in the first place are out for PC now, so I just ended up buying the PC versions, which, of course, are infinitely better than their xbox counterparts (except for the Mako in Mass Effect, which is actually even worse on the PC, if you can believe that). At the time I bought the xbox, I hadn't yet got my big TV, so it never occurred to me at the time that I would end up plugging the computer into the TV and achieving the same effect as playing the xbox. All in all, it was pretty much a waste of money. The only reason I can think of to own is having the option of not watching 6-9 months for the PC versions of the games I want.

I assume the next time I fire up the xbox will be in September when Fable II comes out. Until then, screw it.

:hmmm: You're sick. ROFL

Damn license plate thread.

Frazod
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
:hmmm: You're sick. ROFL

Damn license plate thread.

I think you need to get laid. :D

07-25-2008, 12:13 AM
I think you need to get laid. :D

Gee, ya think? heh

kcxiv
I would honestly say that the failure rate of anyone who actually uses there system with regularity is 100 percent. lol Its going to happen.

I would honestly say that the failure rate of anyone who actually uses there system with regularity is 100 percent. lol Its going to happen.

Maybe everyone will get a free 720 out of it.

Kraus
07-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Welcome to the "Fourth 360 Club," members:

Kraus
HC_Chief
Hamas Jenkins

Frazod
07-25-2008, 12:28 AM

Kraus
HC_Chief
Hamas Jenkins

Well, when my goes, I can pretty much guarantee there won't be a second one. Not unless this RROD shit gets resolved.

God, what a horrible product.

07-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Well, when my goes, I can pretty much guarantee there won't be a second one. Not unless this RROD shit gets resolved.

God, what a horrible product.

If only I could make an Xbox controller work on the PS3.

Saulbadguy
07-25-2008, 07:07 AM
My Wii had problems and I had to send it to Nintendo. I've heard of PS3's having issues but neither are close to the problems Microsoft are having. Sucks for the consumers, all around.

kepp
07-25-2008, 07:17 AM
ps3 sucks.

Even so, you could use it a few weeks a year while you're waiting for your refurbished 360s to arrive :p

Lzen
07-25-2008, 07:44 AM

Kraus
HC_Chief
Hamas Jenkins

Wow, no kidding? May not be long before you have another member. I am on my 3rd since I bought the thing for Christmas. No problems as of yet with this latest one (knock on wood).

Swanman
07-25-2008, 07:45 AM
My Wii had problems and I had to send it to Nintendo. I've heard of PS3's having issues but neither are close to the problems Microsoft are having. Sucks for the consumers, all around.

I had 2 360's go bad, right now I'm on my 3rd, it's probably only a matter of time on that one. It's astounding that QA (assuming they ran the units through QA) would not catch such a huge flaw in the hardware that would pretty much make every unit sold in the first year or two fail.

I had a Wii break down on me as well, but that was due to a somewhat small percentage of launch units that had bad graphic processing units installed, so after a little while there would be lots of pixels on the screen. Nintendo was a dream to work with to get it fixed. Since my problem was widespread (for them at least) they sent me a new Wii (only the console, no connections or controllers) and I sent the old broken one to them. No waiting for repair, which rocked.

Lzen
07-25-2008, 07:48 AM
If only I could make an Xbox controller work on the PS3.

See, for me it's more than just that. Hell, I had a PSOne and PS2 before this 360. For every 20 people I know that have a 360 (and usually a gold Live account, as well), I know 1 with a PS3. And, of course, Xbox Live is supposed to be much better than Sony's online. Really, I don't have a problem with the Xbox or the Playstation controllers.

Saulbadguy
07-25-2008, 07:49 AM
I had a Wii break down on me as well, but that was due to a somewhat small percentage of launch units that had bad graphic processing units installed, so after a little while there would be lots of pixels on the screen. Nintendo was a dream to work with to get it fixed. Since my problem was widespread (for them at least) they sent me a new Wii (only the console, no connections or controllers) and I sent the old broken one to them. No waiting for repair, which rocked.

I had the same exact problem. They repaired my console, though.

Mr. Plow
07-25-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones.......and I think there are only two of us.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Even so, you could use it a few weeks a year while you're waiting for your refurbished 360s to arrive :p

I've sarcastically said that in every 360 thread where someone has a problem. How many people have bitched about their PS3's? Not many, because Sony KNOWS what they're doing. The library is catching up too. I'll take Metal Gear over Halo any day of the week and twice on Sunday. JMO.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-25-2008, 08:21 AM
P.S - I had a first gen 360 for 2 years and NEVER had a problem with it. I guess I was lucky.

Swanman
07-25-2008, 08:34 AM
I've sarcastically said that in every 360 thread where someone has a problem. How many people have bitched about their PS3's? Not many, because Sony KNOWS what they're doing. The library is catching up too. I'll take Metal Gear over Halo any day of the week and twice on Sunday. JMO.

It's pretty apparent that Sony spent more time worrying about the hardware and Microsoft focused on the software aspects of this generation's consoles. I love the fact that the PS3 is a tank and is extremely reliable, but the game catalog is so far behind (and games on both 360 and PS3 tend to run better on 360) so they've got a tough hill to climb. I look at my PS3 more as a blu-ray player than a game console at this point, which is fine because it is a damn good blu-ray player.

markk
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
unbelievable that they could have what an 80% failure rate on the hardware and keep selling them. there ought to be a class action suit or something.

Swanman
07-25-2008, 08:41 AM
unbelievable that they could have what an 80% failure rate on the hardware and keep selling them. there ought to be a class action suit or something.

That's why they're repairing them for free if it's the RRoD issue and extending everyone's factory warrantees. They're trying to avoid any lawsuits.

Lzen
07-25-2008, 08:53 AM

80%? Where did you come up with that figure?

Saulbadguy
07-25-2008, 09:06 AM

I believe it's around 30 percent.

Mr. Plow
07-25-2008, 09:08 AM

75% of all statistics are made up. 62% of the people know that.

El Jefe
07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones.......and I think there are only two of us.

I have had mine since they came out, and never had one problem...knock on wood.

Mr. Plow
07-25-2008, 09:09 AM
I have had mine since they came out, and never had one problem...knock on wood.

So there appears to be 4-5 of us.

Lzen
07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
I believe it's around 30 percent.

That's what I was thinking.

markk
07-25-2008, 10:24 AM

i just guessed at a number. i dont know anyone who hasn't had theirs replaced at least once. this guy will have gone through 4 of them pretty soon.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-25-2008, 10:25 AM
It is simply amazing to me how many consumer electronic devices have failed in the last 7-8 years simply due to outright shoddiness of manufacture. Tons of laptops had to be fixed because of the same problem the 360 has--Cheap, lead free solder cracking and causing problems.

Combine that with the capacitor plague, and I want to choke someone.

Saulbadguy
07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
It is simply amazing to me how many consumer electronic devices have failed in the last 7-8 years simply due to outright shoddiness of manufacture. Tons of laptops had to be fixed because of the same problem the 360 has--Cheap, lead free solder cracking and causing problems.

Combine that with the capacitor plague, and I want to choke someone.

Not amazing me to me. There is tons of pressure to keep the costs down, so they use shortcuts in the manufacturing process. I'm actually surprised more people haven't gotten electrocuted from shoddy electronics. :)

noa
07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
My second one just died. I thought the extended warranty covered it, but apparently Microsoft only extended it as far as RROD goes, and this one died from a bad optical drive. It will cost me $99 to fix it, but I am seriously considering just saying eff it and be done with the shitty product. Its too bad, I never got to finish GTA IV, and I'll miss COD4.

Also, within the past month, one of my laptops died, an ipod died, and my living room speakers died. I must have done something to anger the gods.

Mr. Plow
07-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Back with the PS, I used to say I'd never buy another system from any other company. Then, the PS2 came out. Had nothing but problems with it.....but I dealt with it. Had to return 3 of them that didn't work before finally getting one that did. No biggie.

But, it continued to have problems so I decided to try the 360. Love it. Haven't had any real problems with it yet....few minor ones.....but oh well. I enjoy it. PS ticked me off enough to try another system. MS might do the same in time.

Lzen
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
My second one just died. I thought the extended warranty covered it, but apparently Microsoft only extended it as far as RROD goes, and this one died from a bad optical drive. It will cost me $99 to fix it, but I am seriously considering just saying eff it and be done with the shitty product. Its too bad, I never got to finish GTA IV, and I'll miss COD4.

Also, within the past month, one of my laptops died, an ipod died, and my living room speakers died. I must have done something to anger the gods.

Call them up and say they need to fix it. When they say it will cost $99, ask to speak to a manager or whatever they call the higher ups. Tell them you are just about done with MS and this crap. Tell them you are going to buy a PS3 because of this. Don't know if this will change anything, but it's worth a shot.

Kraus
07-25-2008, 10:45 AM

Wrap it in a towel and make it RROD.

noa
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Wrap it in a towel and make it RROD.

Great idea.

Spicy McHaggis
07-25-2008, 10:55 AM
That sucks man. About half the people I know are on their 2nd one.

The crazy thing is that my original launch Xbox is still running great today, knock on wood. I wonder why the manufacturing on the 360 was so ragged.

HC_Chief
07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
It's all heat-related. The 360 runs hot and it has inadequate cooling; more airflow is necessary.

I'm on my 4th 360. I think this one has lasted the longest due to the fact that it is in my new open entertainment rack down by an air vent.

beach tribe
07-25-2008, 12:14 PM
The ones that break are probably the ones that are played for hours on end.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
It's all heat-related. The 360 runs hot and it has inadequate cooling; more airflow is necessary.

I'm on my 4th 360. I think this one has lasted the longest due to the fact that it is in my new open entertainment rack down by an air vent.

The new boxes are built on the 65 nm process, which theoretically should help out with the cooling of the system, since the chip won't produce as much heat. Didn't seem to make much of a difference w/ me, though.

Be forewarned that the towel trick will void your RRoD warranty, as they can tell when the solder melts again.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
That sucks man. About half the people I know are on their 2nd one.

The crazy thing is that my original launch Xbox is still running great today, knock on wood. I wonder why the manufacturing on the 360 was so ragged.

I had two XBoxes die on me too.

Pablo
07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm on my third XBox as we speak. It's gonna die here pretty soon. I've been getting a ton of disc-read errors, freezing, and that godawful cramming noise when a disc is being mauled. EA games have killed my first two 360's. I think NCAA '09 is going to kill this one.

EA games are console killers. I'm sure I'll be sending this mothaf*cka off here before long and getting refurbished 360 #4.

The Franchise
07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
My first 360 died on me after 4 months.

While it was in the shop I went out and bought a 360 Elite and sold the refurbished one to a friend. Neither of have had any problems since.

Hootie
07-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I bought mine off of Ebay about a year ago and it has been fine other than when I had to fix the unplayable disc error...I was an idiot and fixed it myself thus voiding the warranty so threads like this scare me.

Valiant
07-27-2008, 01:16 PM
You'd be pretty lucky if your launch system made it another 6 months.
Unless you never turn it on.

It has been on probably 20hrs a week since I bought it..

Valiant
07-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Kraus
HC_Chief
Hamas Jenkins

Hmm I need to start a "Lucky SOB 360 thread" for people with 360's since launch..

Valiant
Mr. Plow
KcchiefsfangoLJ

Anyone else???

Valiant
07-27-2008, 01:21 PM
i just guessed at a number. i dont know anyone who hasn't had theirs replaced at least once. this guy will have gone through 4 of them pretty soon.

Most people that are happy do not bitch.. Kind of like politics..

TinyEvel
07-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

just lurking (snicker snicker)

AndChiefs
07-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Hmm I need to start a "Lucky SOB 360 thread" for people with 360's since launch..

Valiant
Mr. Plow
KcchiefsfangoLJ

Anyone else???

I and three of my friends all bought one at launch. We all still have that original.

QuikSsurfer
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

just lurking (snicker snicker)

No good blue-ray movies out this month??

:)