PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs arrive quietly in River Falls

Count Alex's Losses
07-24-2008, 09:46 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/772039.html

Herm Edwards wasnít the first Chief to arrive in River Falls this time.

This year it was new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who rolled up in his own car inconspicuously at about 4:05 PM Thursday afternoon. Unshaven and clad in yellow athletic shorts that resembled something from his Georgia Tech days, Gailey looked more like a tourist than an NFL coach.

And of course, Gailey had no meticulously hand-painted sign welcoming the team to training camp, ala Edwards a year ago. After a quick interview, he disappeared inside the teamís brand new dormitory.

Seven minutes later five buses pulled up full of Chiefs players, coaches and executives. But there was no raucous crowd of fans ready to greet them, no HBO cameras capturing the moment and really, almost no pomp and circumstance at all.

Herm Edwards, almost symbolically, was the first Chief off the bus. But there was no interview given, only a few passing words as the head coach practically raced to his dorm room.

In fact, the rest of the Chiefs pretty much followed suit. By 4:20 PM the buses were gone and you wondered if anyone even knew an NFL team had just invaded River Falls.

Where were all the Chiefs fans?

I couldnít help but compare this yearís arrival to the one we all saw last year on HBO. Most noticeably, one thing was missing Ė a larger-than-life character wearing Cowboy boots, a Stetson and walking around like he owned the place.

Yes, Iím talking about Jared Allen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3716719), now a Minnesota Viking. When the Chiefs got off the bus Thursday, there wasnít a ton of energy. Maybe it was just the lack of fans, but it was almost boring.

Are the Chiefs a boring team without Allen? We wonít know the answer to that question until the regular season is in full swing. But either way, I think Kansas City will be just fine without that big Cowboy.

It might not feel that way to you Chiefs fans at the moment, but sometimes the best possible thing that could happen to a professional sports franchise takes the hardest toll on its fan base. I know, because I experienced just that almost exactly one year ago.

On July 30, 2007, the Texas Rangers traded their big-time superstar away for what seemed like nothing in return. Slugger Mark Teixiera, maybe the best young power hitter in baseball, was dealt to the Atlanta Braves for no-name catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3555395) and some minor-league prospects.

Now believe me, Chiefs fans, if you think you have it bad, try rooting for the Rangers. Like Kansas City, Texas hasnít made many playoff appearances recently, and isnít in the habit of winning postseason games, either.

But get this: my Rangers are one of only two major-league franchises to never - not even once since their inception in 1961 - win a playoff series. Hey, at least the Chiefs had some fun times with Joe Montana back in the day.

So trading Big Tex didnít feel great. But a year later, the most amazing thing can happen Ė a fanís perspective can do a complete 180-degree turn.

The Rangers are playing good baseball this season for the first time in awhile. Theyíve been well over .500 for weeks now, and if they didnít play in the same division as the Angels (the team with the best record in baseball) they might actually have a shot at the postseason.

But wait, it gets better. Despite losing Teixeira to Atlanta, the Rangers are almost completely outclassing the Braves in every meaningful offensive statistic.

Heck, Teixeiraís having a decent year (19 homers, 73 RBI .277), but it doesnít compare to the career revival that Rangersí slugger Josh Hamilton (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3555411) is experiencing this season (20 homers, 98 RBI, .305). Did I mention Hamilton is a hell of a lot cheaper?

And oh, by the way, Atlanta just happens to be five games under .500.

Does any of this seem familiar? Is Jared Allen not perhaps the best young player at his position in the entire league? Do Chiefs fans not feel glum today because heís no longer wearing red? Is anyone wondering where KCís pass rush is going to come from this season?

All of that has some degree of validity, but a year from now, we all might be looking back on the Jared Allen trade as the best thing that ever happened to the modern-day Kansas City Chiefs. Hey, if it can happen to one pro sports franchise that hasnít accomplished anything meaningful in decades, it can happen to another.

In the meantime, you fans should come out from under the rocks in River Falls. Thereís plenty of other players to get excited about, and another is hopefully on the way (Glenn Dorsey (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3722647)).

NOTES FROM RIVER FALLS

ē Wideout Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698848) stated his goal for the upcoming season was approximately 1,300 receiving yards.

ē Running back Larry Johnson said his injured foot was fully recovered and ready for two-a-days. Johnson thinks he can put up numbers similar to his pre-injury days (1,789 rushing yards in 2006) now that KCís offense wonít be so predictable and is not only looking forward to seeing what backup runners Jamaal Charles (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3723954) and Kolby Smith (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698874) can do when heís out of the game, but believes they can prolong his career.

BTAU
07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Who gives a **** about the Texas Rangers!

ChiefaRoo
07-24-2008, 09:57 PM
There's no BASEBALL IN FOOTBALL!!!!

Ari Chi3fs
07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
WTF. **** the Rangers. Keep that shit out of Chiefs columns.

FAIL!

recxjake
07-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm going to miss Boomer.

SBK
07-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Fail. Knick iznt paing yu 4 basbal knews.

SPchief
07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
The Rangers?

People actually pay money to read this shit?

Count Alex's Losses
07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
The Rangers?

People actually pay money to read this shit?

Did you pay a dime?

If not, no one else did.

markk
07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
nothing cheers you up like a comparison to a baseball team that has won 1 playoff game in 50 years

BigRock
07-24-2008, 10:18 PM
WTF did Allen do when he got to camp last year? The cameras filmed him walking up to the building and then a kid asked him for his autograph. Did the cameras stop filming when he pulled out a gun, fired a few shots in the air, and started making it rain on the college girls taking all the bags inside?

smittysbar
07-24-2008, 10:25 PM
**** the Rangers......I guess he wasn't ready for football to start. My god even giving stats, pathetic.

FAX
07-24-2008, 10:29 PM
nothing cheers you up like a comparison to a baseball team that has won 1 playoff game in 50 years

ROFL

FAX

Skip Towne
07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
If they want a lot of fans to show up for their entrance they need to move camp back to the KC vicinity.

Ecto-I
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks for sharing. But, honestly, I pretty much skipped over the middle part about the Rangers.

blueballs
07-25-2008, 12:01 AM
no Clark

ClevelandBronco
07-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I've heard that The Watchtower has better articles.

alanm
07-25-2008, 01:09 AM
There's no BASEBALL IN FOOTBALL!!!!
ROFL:LOL:ROFL

JuicesFlowing
07-25-2008, 01:49 AM
I don't "feel glum" for not having Jared Allen on the team ... I could care less about him since he didn't want to wear Red and Gold.

Katie
07-25-2008, 04:04 AM
If they want a lot of fans to show up for their entrance they need to move camp back to the KC vicinity.

Personally, I'm glad they go to River Falls. It gives fans like me the opportunity to see the Chiefs up close. You KC people have the luxury of attending lots of fan activities...

Crashride
07-25-2008, 08:12 AM
its ok we have RICH SCANLON....oh wait...

BigRedChief
07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Did you pay a dime?

If not, no one else did.
Regardless...........Rangers baseball in a Chiefs training camp story? Even Thwit is not that disingenious.

The local college blog out did you today and when formerdb gets up there your going to be toast. Better pick up the game.

Count Alex's Losses
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Regardless...........Rangers baseball in a Chiefs training camp story? Even Thwit is not that disingenious.

The local college blog out did you today and when formerdb gets up there your going to be toast. Better pick up the game.

Dude, I hate to break it to you but the only thing that happened yesterday was the Chiefs arriving. It was literally, like, a 30-minute deal. Wasn't much to see.

I've been wanting to make the Jared Allen/Mark Teixeira comparison for awhile now so training camp eve seemed like the perfect opportunity. Don't worry, I'm done talking about baseball.

BigRedChief
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Dude, I hate to break it to you but the only thing that happened yesterday was the Chiefs arriving. It was literally, like, a 30-minute deal. Wasn't much to see.

I've been wanting to make the Jared Allen/Mark Teixeira comparison for awhile now so training camp eve seemed like the perfect opportunity. Don't worry, I'm done talking about baseball.
Hey you missed this from the college blog

Safety Bernard Pollard answered questions from the media as he stood next to his black BMW M6. Pollard, stocked up groceries from Wal-Mart, commented, ďGot to have lots of oatmeal for camp.Ē With his memory foam inserts and Jordan shoes in hand, Pollard looked to be prepared for the long camp ahead.

Count Alex's Losses
07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah, did they say anything about Chan Gailey's yellow shorts?

Didn't think so!

Only at WPI!

(BTW check out our photos)

markk
07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't "feel glum" for not having Jared Allen on the team ... I could care less about him since he didn't want to wear Red and Gold.

Exactly. He didnt want to be here, he doesn't wear Red now, his being an idiot drunk, a child in a man's body, got him into that position anyway. so F jared allen. who cares about him. jared allen has zero to do with the chiefs.

he's as relevant as the retarted texas rangers tripe

Phobia
07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I think everybody has mostly covered the crappier portions (all of it) but I wanted to point out "Cowbody" in this syntax isn't a proper noun. Therefore, it shouldn't be capitalized.

You need a better editor.

BigRedChief
07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
I think everybody has mostly covered the crappier portions (all of it) but I wanted to point out "Cowbody" in this syntax isn't a proper noun. Therefore, it shouldn't be capitalized.

I saw you and the wife are sponsoring the LS West Titans football auction tommorrow. How'd you get involved in that?

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 09:51 AM

Dammit, I was going to say that.

InChiefsHell
07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Rangers...what the hell...:spock:

Bill Lundberg
07-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I actually enjoyed that one.

CoMoChief
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM

He did, Carl didnt want to negotiate.

The Chiefs said they are getting rid of a player that many fans aren't going to agree with, Jared Allen was that player.

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM

The Chiefs said they are getting rid of a player that many fans aren't going to agree with, Jared Allen was that player.

He did BEFORE his last season. He said all along that he wouldn't sign if it wasn't before the 07 season (even WITH a 4-game suspension, that was reduced to 2-game).

Clearly, and smartly IMO, Peterson didn't want to sign Allen before he proved he could keep his nose clean.

MVChiefFan
07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
While interesting, I couldn't care less about the hijinx that Boomer and Allen took part in. We didn't win with them so maybe we'll be about business and start winning some games.

markk
07-25-2008, 10:12 AM

They sold high on Jared Allen. It was a good move.

We should have sold high on Larry Johnson, but oh well.