PDA

View Full Version : Misc System Administrator Appreciation Day

penguinz
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Friday, July 25th, 2008, is the 9th annual System Administrator Appreciation Day. On this special international day, give your System Administrator something that shows that you truly appreciate their hard work and dedication.

Let's face it, System Administrators get no respect 364 days a year. This is the day that all fellow System Administrators across the globe, will be showered with expensive sports cars and large piles of cash in appreciation of their diligent work. But seriously, we are asking for a nice token gift and some public acknowledgement. It's the least you could do.
Consider all the daunting tasks and long hours (weekends too.) Let's be honest, sometimes we don't know our System Administrators as well as they know us. Remember this is one day to recognize your System Administrator for their workplace contributions and to promote professional excellence. Thank them for all the things they do for you and your business.

http://www.sysadminday.com/

Phobia
07-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Man, we never had this day back in the day.

bkkcoh
07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Man, we never had this day back in the day.

Did you really deserve it????

:D:):deevee::banghead::cuss::hmmm:STFU

Phobia
07-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Did you really deserve it????

:D:):deevee::banghead::cuss::hmmm:STFU
No. I was a sysadmin back in the days where every other Friday was thanks enough - when being a sysadmin meant something. Now every 19 yo gamer with a 2 week diploma is a sysadmin. Real sysadmins can't find jobs for a fair salary and have to start construction companies. I'm not bitter or anything at all. I love sweating in 110 degrees.

splatbass
07-25-2008, 10:13 AM
No. I was a sysadmin back in the days where every other Friday was thanks enough - when being a sysadmin meant something. Now every 19 yo gamer with a 2 week diploma is a sysadmin. Real sysadmins can't find jobs for a fair salary and have to start construction companies. I'm not bitter or anything at all. I love sweating in 110 degrees.

I'm still a real sysadmin, Phobia. In fact, most of us in my shop have been working together for 16 years. We aren't all 19 yo. And I'm not a gamer. And my salary is more than fair. There are still some of us out there.

It has taken some adjustments though. I'm a UNIX admin (Solaris and Irix mostly) but have had to resort to working on Windows. :cuss:

SNR
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
No. I was a sysadmin back in the days where every other Friday was thanks enough - when being a sysadmin meant something. Now every 19 yo gamer with a 2 week diploma is a sysadmin. Real sysadmins can't find jobs for a fair salary and have to start construction companies. I'm not bitter or anything at all. I love sweating in 110 degrees.It's not their fault you turned down your cushy job at WPI

Fish
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I just e-mailed my boss with this and said I'm going golfing. I'm sure he'll understand.....

StcChief
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah....they have secretaries day (now their are called ADMINS).... now
Sys Admins day

where's the love for Software developers... without which there is nothing to admin...

vailpass
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM

All the sys. admins. need to shut up and fix my shit. :)
Seriously though, I know plenty of sys. admins. that make over 100k/year. Anyone with a strong Linux background and a TS/SCI with a full scope poly can do it.

Phobia
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm still a real sysadmin, Phobia. In fact, most of us in my shop have been working together for 16 years. We aren't all 19 yo. And I'm not a gamer. And my salary is more than fair. There are still some of us out there.

I'm mostly kidding. I got screwed by a failing IT economy in Houston but most of it was my fault. I was milking the Banyan Vines cash cow and then when everybody migrated off it was useless being one of the few remaining experts in the world. I should have spent more energy learning other technologies but Houston was really, really tough at that time.

Honestly though, I don't really miss the corporate world. I'm perfectly happy with what I'm doing.

FAX
07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Happy SA day. Now, get your ass in here and fix the printer.

FAX

Phobia
07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
It has taken some adjustments though. I'm a UNIX admin (Solaris and Irix mostly) but have had to resort to working on Windows. :cuss:

See -there ya go. You're smart enough to evolve with a changing marketplace. I wasn't. Of course I was in my mid-20's and more concerned with my bank account that day than looking down the road. Not a bright kid.

RJ
07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
This is just another one of those holidays that Hallmark dreams up.

FAX
07-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I can't wait to tell the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX about this. Years ago, we made a deal in which I am to receive sexual favors on all national holidays to keep me from getting depressed around Christmastime and Thanksgiving and System Administrator Day.

FAX

splatbass
07-25-2008, 10:33 AM
See -there ya go. You're smart enough to evolve with a changing marketplace. I wasn't. Of course I was in my mid-20's and more concerned with my bank account that day than looking down the road. Not a bright kid.

I really had no choice. I work on a government contract, and they switched all the workstations from Sun to Windows. Our server is still Solaris though. I don't want to give up this job, for the reasons vailpass mentioned earlier. I have a job that can't be outsourced to India, so I'm going to hang on to it as long as I can.

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah....they have secretaries day (now their are called ADMINS).... now
Sys Admins day

where's the love for Software developers... without which there is nothing to admin...

Get back to work, Code Monkey!! :p

j/k...you make a damn good point.

Deberg_1990
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm mostly kidding. I got screwed by a failing IT economy in Houston but most of it was my fault. I was milking the Banyan Vines cash cow and then when everybody migrated off it was useless being one of the few remaining experts in the world. I should have spent more energy learning other technologies but Houston was really, really tough at that time.

Honestly though, I don't really miss the corporate world. I'm perfectly happy with what I'm doing.

Banyan Vines...whoa...havent heard that in awhile. Im an Old Novell guy from way back in the day. Mid 90's.

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Banyan Vines...whoa...havent heard that in awhile. Im an Old Novell guy from way back in the day. Mid 90's.

IIRC, didn't that have a fantastic all-or-nothing security?

luv
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
We've got three guys who work in IT. One of them is the system administrator, but the other two help him out a lot. When I read this thread, I took the time to shoot them an email to thank them. I also sent the link to our office manager, in case he wanted to do something for them this afternoon. I looked up the gift ideas. I may run to the store on my lunch break to get them a small cake or something. That's about all I can afford right now.

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
We've got three guys who work in IT. One of them is the system administrator, but the other two help him out a lot. When I read this thread, I took the time to shoot them an email to thank them. I also sent the link to our office manager, in case he wanted to do something for them this afternoon. I looked up the gift ideas. I may run to the store on my lunch break to get them a small cake or something. That's about all I can afford right now.

I seem to recall you mentioning there is a strip club near your office? Have them take the afternoon off, and send them over there with a Company Credit Card. I'm sure they would appreciate it. :p

Oh, and the cake as well.

luv
07-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I seem to recall you mentioning there is a strip club near your office? Send them over there with a Company Credit Card. I'm sure they would appreciate it. :p

Yeah, they could say they went to lunch. They had Candy, Cookie, etc.

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah, they could say they went to lunch. They had Candy, Cookie, etc.

LMAO

No "Brandy" though. :p

luv
07-25-2008, 10:53 AM
LMAO

No "Brandy" though. :p

Maybe just one during work hours.

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Maybe just one during work hours.

Don't forget "Ginger" and "Cherry". They'll feel left out, and those girls already have enough issues.

luv
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Don't forget "Ginger" and "Cherry". They'll feel left out, and those girls already have enough issues.

Sounds like they'd be going there for dessert.

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Sounds like they'd be going there for dessert.

LMAO

I'd caution them against ordering the Banana Split or Cherries Flambe'. :p

luv
07-25-2008, 10:58 AM
LMAO

I'd caution them against ordering the "Banana Split". :p

LMAO

Phobia
07-25-2008, 11:28 AM
IIRC, didn't that have a fantastic all-or-nothing security?

Maybe in very early versions. They were most well known for their directory system, StreetTalk. It was a well designed, 3-layer system of addressing that was easy for users to understand. MS bought them out in 99 and basically crushed the company.

Deberg_1990
07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Maybe in very early versions. They were most well known for their directory system, StreetTalk. It was a well designed, 3-layer system of addressing that was easy for users to understand. MS bought them out in 99 and basically crushed the company.

Yea, Microsoft stole Active Directory concept from Novell NDS (Novell Directory System)