PDA

View Full Version : How long should "prayer threads" be stickied?

DaFace
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm on the record numerous times, both pre- and post-admindom, stating my hatred for sticky threads. That being said, I do see value in them for Planet get-togethers and prayer threads at least. However, I struggle with figuring out how long we should leave those types of threads stickied.

With Planet get-togethers, there is usually an end-date of sorts. With prayer threads, though, it's much more difficult to figure out when the "end" is. I don't mean to be insensitive to prayer threads or anything, but I'm just curious how others feel. Thanks for your input.

Phobia
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
My general rule was 24 hours. I think it worked really well - most the regulars who would care stop in at least once in a 24 hour period and are at least aware. But I do think weeks on end are overkill. I even think a week is way too long.

morphius
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
I normally try to stick with a week, but not any longer. Though I did make an exception for the guy who lost his son.

FAX
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Hmmm. This post thing fostered a thought ... which isn't necessarily good - but, here it is, anyhow.

Perhaps ChiefsPlanet could benefit from a poll like; "In Your Opinion, Does Mr. DaFace Think Too Much? Yes or No."

FAX

DaFace
07-25-2008, 12:20 PM
I normally try to stick with a week, but not any longer. Though I did make an exception for the guy who lost his son.

Yeah, there will definitely be exceptions. I tend to lean towards Phobia's take, personally, but I'm curious to see what the masses think.

DaFace
07-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Hmmm. This post thing fostered a thought ... which isn't necessarily good - but, here it is, anyhow.

Perhaps ChiefsPlanet could benefit from a poll like; "In Your Opinion, Does Mr. DaFace Think Too Much? Yes or No."

FAX

Probably so, Mr. FAX. Probably so.

Skip Towne
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
DaFace is doing a fine job. I hate stickies too so they get "ignore this thread" after 24 hours.

FAX
07-25-2008, 12:30 PM
DaFace is doing a fine job. I hate stickies too so they get "ignore this thread" after 24 hours.

I agree that Mr. DaFace is doing a great job, Mr. Skip Towne. I have stated my opinion on this subject both publicly and privately to Mr. DaFace's face.

However, that has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not Mr. DaFace thinks too much. He is constantly cogitating on changes, features, rules, functions, modifications, upgrades, how to handle unruly, rotten-to-the-core Planeteers, or convert a bad N00b (sp?) into a good citizen.

Personally, I just think he needs to get out more.

FAX

DaFace
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I agree that Mr. DaFace is doing a great job, Mr. Skip Towne. I have stated my opinion on this subject both publicly and privately to Mr. DaFace's face.

However, that has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not Mr. DaFace thinks too much. He is constantly cogitating on changes, features, rules, functions, modifications, upgrades, how to handle unruly, rotten-to-the-core Planeteers, or convert a bad N00b (sp?) into a good citizen.

FAX

Perhaps, instead, it's that I think too little, Mr. FAX. I'd rather not make any decisions, so I force the masses to make those decisions for me. :D

You're probably right about the last part, though.

Old Dog
07-25-2008, 12:32 PM
I would have voted 2-3 days, but since that wasn't an option I said 3-4.

Skip Towne
07-25-2008, 12:34 PM

FAX

You're thinking about this too much. You've met DaFace in person?

Deberg_1990
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
However, I struggle with figuring out how long we should leave those types of threads stickied.

When God tells you to take it down. Take it down.

DaFace
07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
When God tells you to take it down. Take it down.

Heh...the Lounge would be nothing but sticky threads after a while. I'm not much of the religious type myself, though I certainly see value in the positive thoughts expressed in prayer threads.

FAX
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Then we're in agreement, Mr. DaFace. I hope you find a hobby. Or, two young, nubile, financially independent, naturally blonde models who like both you and each other in that special way.

Back on topic ... doesn't this mainly have to do with the severity of the particular issue associated with the particular topic contained in a particular sticky?

I mean, if it's a life or death circumstance and a Planeteer derives comfort from the sticky, what's the harm in leaving it up for a while? In fact, I've noticed that most thread starters actually suggest that their sticky be taken down when the urgency or concern abates. But, in the case of prayer, it's beyond the ken of time or space. For example, let's say that somebody's pet fish gets sick and has to go to the vet. Then, let's say that the vet has been called out of town on business and the fish goes critical. Then, let's say that the Planeteer requests a sticky so peeps can pray for his or her fish or, alternatively, recommend a good seafood recipe. Then, let's say that the fish makes a dramatic and remarkable recovery on day eight - one day after the sticky has been unstickied. That doesn't make sense now, does it?

FAX

FAX
07-25-2008, 12:43 PM
You're thinking about this too much. You've met DaFace in person?

No. I meant his virtual face, Mr. Skip Towne. I occasionally communicate with the all-knowing and powerful mods via PM when I'm feeling confident and brave.

FAX

DaFace
07-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Back on topic ... doesn't this mainly have to do with the severity of the particular issue associated with the particular topic contained in a particular sticky?

Definitely not any particular thread. Just more general curiosity.

I think I have a complex against sticky threads. They make me want to throw my computer across the room sometimes, but Rain Man would be irritated if I broke it.

seclark
07-25-2008, 12:52 PM
icb
up to the mod who stickies it.
sec

Rausch
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I think it's been handled perfectly so far.

The situation is resolved (better or worse) or the thread starter gives a bookend update and that tends to be it.

If you're in a situation where you're willing to prostrate yourself to the entire internet in hopes that anyone or anthing can help...Yeah, even I'm not a big enough @$$#ole to shut the door in your face...

DaFace
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Fair enough. Based on the comments, it seems that there really can't be any particular rule, so it'll just depend on the specific situation.

Thanks for the feedback.

FAX
07-25-2008, 12:59 PM
What, pray tell, is the source of your aversion to stickies, Mr. DaFace?

FAX

seclark
07-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Fair enough. Based on the comments, it seems that there really can't be any particular rule, so it'll just depend on the specific situation.

Thanks for the feedback.

is it too late to ask you to sticky this thread?
sec

DaFace
07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
What, pray tell, is the source of your aversion to stickies, Mr. DaFace?

FAX

I'm pretty sure I was abused by a sticky when I was a child.

Old Dog
07-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but once upon a time ago I requested prayers for my daughter and it might sound dumb to some folks, but just reading the responses in the thread helped to lift my spirits.
I actually printed it out and have looked at it more than once to tell myself, "Things could be a hell of a lot worse."

Joie
07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure I was abused by a sticky when I was a child.

Do you have a fear of post-it notes as well? :hmmm:

StcChief
07-25-2008, 03:11 PM
1-3 days.

HemiEd
07-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I think it's been handled perfectly so far.

The situation is resolved (better or worse) or the thread starter gives a bookend update and that tends to be it.

If you're in a situation where you're willing to prostrate yourself to the entire internet in hopes that anyone or anthing can help...Yeah, even I'm not a big enough @$$#ole to shut the door in your face...

Well said.

Baconeater
07-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I think once they go for 24 hrs without anyone posting in them they should be dropped. As long as people are posting in it, leave it.