PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain as Everyman...the rebuttal

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Ok, so I as suspected, it was a planned strategy. While NObama is soaring to glamorous heights abroad, McCain is down in the trenches at home. While NObama was in Israel trying to appear a statesman, McCain was in Bethlehem, PA at grocery story trying to appear as every man. While NObama was in Berlin as the closing act for a free rock concert witnessed by 200k, McCain was in a German deli.

This strategy of down to earth, real, and mortal is McCain's answer to NObama's messiah, otherworld, immortal image. I think it's smart. NObots think it's silly, petty, and amateur to their peril. This is the week McCain got serious and focused about winning this election.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2008/07/25/image4292681g.jpghttp://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-07/41214322.jpg

With Foe In Limelight, McCain Gets Folksy
CBSNews.com Reports: Republican Counters Obama's Foreign Trip By Spotlighting Pocketbook Issues At Home
Comments 227
July 25, 2008

(CBS) This story was written by CBSNews.com political reporter Brian Montopoli.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Barack Obama was meeting with dignitaries in Israel on Wednesday afternoon, John McCain was in a Bethlehem, Pennsylvania grocery store, trying to make a point about high food prices. It was there, as Newsweek reports, that the presumptive GOP nominee was jokingly asked, during some "stilted" small talk near the check-out registers, if he was going to be bagging any groceries.

It's been that kind of week for McCain: The following day, as his Democratic rival was speaking to an estimated 200,000 plus enthusiastic Germans at Berlin's Victory Column, McCain was talking with a few dozen people at a German restaurant - in Ohio. Political pundits have seized on these sorts of contrasts to characterize the McCain campaign as "flat footed" or worse, arguing that Obama has completely dominated his opponent this week.

Ask the McCain campaign, however, and they'll tell you that the situation is nowhere near as grim as the pundits suggest.

"I don't think the national media is in touch with what's going on out there," McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said. He said that the McCain campaign has gotten "tremendous local and regional coverage" this week, pointing to news reports in places like Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania and Rochester, New Hampshire.

Rogers may have a point: The cover of the New Hampshire Union-Leader on Wednesday featured a large photo of a smiling McCain and the headline "Back, and on attack"; Thursday, Wilkes-Barre's Times Leader proclaimed "McCain straight talks W-B," while Pennsylvania's Citizens' Voice featured a full-page color shot of a waving McCain Thursday and a headline about the candidate coming to town.

"Our focus this week is talking directly to hardworking Americans about the issues that effect their lives," Rogers said. Asked if Obama's international trip plays into their strategy because the presumptive Democratic nominee is not focused on everyday pocketbook issues at home, Rogers had this to say: "We run our campaign based on John McCain's priorities. But it's a nice contrast for us."

For all the talk of Obama's recent success, the race remains relatively close: Most recent national polls show Obama in the lead, but the average spread is only 4 points. As the Obama campaign has looked to widen that gap with this week's international tour, the McCain campaign has counter-programmed by zeroing in on the economic concerns of average Americans. Obama may look good in Berlin, the implicit critique goes, but he's not going to get milk under $4 per gallon.

"What we've been doing is going into important markets, and target states, and talking about economic policies and gas prices," said McCain senior advisor Charlie Black. "It doesn't make national news, but it dominates the news in the markets we're in."

Nonetheless, even the most optimistic members of the McCain camp would have to concede that this week has not exactly gone smoothly. McCain had to play defense on national security when critics accused him of misstating the Iraq War timeline in an interview with CBS News. His planned trip to an oil rig to advocate for offshore drilling to lower gas prices was canceled thanks to hurricane Dolly. An oil spill on the Mississippi River made for a powerful talking point for opponents of his drilling plan. And he (once again) made reference to Czechoslovakia, despite the fact that that country has not existed for 15 years.

Still, the campaign believes it has made progress in battleground states even as Obama has dominated the national headlines and the media have engaged in hand-wringing over the the Arizona senator's campaign. Black suggested the national media have a tendency to overestimate its importance - "The question folks [in the national media] have to ask is how much influence do you have versus local news and everything else that goes on in a campaign," he said.

McCain vowed this week to spend his time "campaigning across the heartland of America and talking about the issues that are challenging America today," and he has focused on high food and gas prices. Obama, McCain and his surrogates have suggested, doesn't recognize the importance of finding short-term solutions. Adviser Doug Holtz-Eakin said in a conference call Thursday that McCain's policies are the ones that address "the real economic duress that people feel right now."

Not everyone feels that message is getting out. Conservative activist Grover Norquist, head of Americans for Tax Reform, said McCain's economic message is actually better than that of President George W. Bush, arguing that if voters understood the difference between the candidates, "Obama would be ten points down, not a couple points up."

That message is simply not reaching their ears, Norquist argued - though he didn't blame the McCain campaign for that.

"How could he command attention? I don't know - short of torching himself like a Buddhist monk," Norquist said. "He has a good message. But it is difficult to get the establishment press to cover those stories. I do not expect Time Magazine will put on its cover how many dollars Obama will cost your family."

Critics have knocked the McCain campaign for being largely reactive in recent days - running advertisements in places like Berlin, Wisconsin, as a cheeky response to Obama's Berlin speech, for example. But Black, McCain's senior advisor, brushes off such concerns, saying he feels comfortable with how the week has gone.

"Obama is spending the week trying to enhance his commander in chief credentials - with some voters he has to pass a threshold on that," he said. "Be he hasn't moved in tracking polls, and we're going to beat him on the commander in chief issue no matter what he does. So we're focused on the domestic issues, the pocketbook issues." (While Obama trails on the commander in chief question, McCain trails on the economic front: The Arizona senator was seen by just 31 percent of respondents in a recent CBS News/New York Times poll as the candidate is "better able to improve economic conditions." Obama was cited as "better able to improve economic conditions" by 51 percent of registered voters.)

Rogers put it more bluntly.

"200,000 screaming Germans isn't going to do it for him," he said.

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Can't say I'm all that surprised to see you now getting behind McCain. Is this to keep alive your streak of voting for the losing candidate?

<embed FlashVars='videoId=177449' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

CAMPAIGN CLEANUP IN AISLE 2

No better visual than an old guy wandering aimlessly through a supermarket. I like how he had to look down at his notes to say how much a gallon of milk costs. Was that really something he couldn't easily recall?

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I just love the juxtaposition of your avatar and the fact that you're carrying water for GWB-but-Senile in this election.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I am not behind McCain. As a political junkie, I'm fascinated with the strategies and the maneuvers. This week was NObama's week to shine and nail the final nail in McCain's coffin. The former happened but the latter is even more elusive.

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I just love the juxtaposition of your avatar and the fact that you're carrying water for GWB-but-Senile in this election.

Oh, I'm searching for just the right NObama avatar. If he wins I'll wear it proudly for four years. Just as I have the DUHbya avatar.

Pitt Gorilla
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Can't say I'm all that surprised to see you now getting behind McCain. Is this to keep alive your streak of voting for the losing candidate?

<embed flashvars="videoId=177449" src="http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml" quality="high" bgcolor="#cccccc" name="comedy_central_player" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="external" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" align="middle" height="316" width="332">

CAMPAIGN CLEANUP ON AISLE 2

No better visual than an old guy wandering aimlessly through a supermarket. I like how he had to look down at his notes to say how much a gallon of milk costs. Was that really something he couldn't easily recall?The applesauce gag was brilliant. McCain is a comedic genius.

whatsmynameagain
07-25-2008, 01:13 PM
apparently you didn't see the fotage of him in the grocery store. he looked like a fish out of water or better yet a lost alzheimers patient. seriously though, he looked very out of place and uncomfortablePosted via Mobile Device

memyselfI
07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
apparently you didn't see the fotage of him in the grocery store. he looked like a fish out of water or better yet a lost alzheimers patient. seriously though, he looked very out of place and uncomfortablePosted via Mobile Device

But this works in his 'I'm not perfect nor am I a crafted mirage' type of every man he's trying to sell.

Only the media and Obots are falling for the near perfection of the heavily orchestrated and controlled media blitzkrieg that was NObama's trip. Everyone else can see it for what it was.

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I am not behind McCain. As a political junkie, I'm fascinated with the strategies and the maneuvers. This week was NObama's week to shine and nail the final nail in McCain's coffin. The former happened but the latter is even more elusive.

What strategy? McCain made numerous bad gaffes this week, any one of which might have sunk Obama's campaign. The only thing his campaign did this week was bitch about not getting attention, which they were lucky McCain didn't get.

markk
07-25-2008, 01:19 PM

BO doesn't need to go to the grocery store. He simply stretches out his hand and orchards grow.

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:25 PM
The applesauce gag was brilliant. McCain is a comedic genius.

Vintage Johnny Mac.

beer bacon
07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
But this works in his 'I'm not perfect nor am I a crafted mirage' type of every man he's trying to sell.

Only the media and Obots are falling for the near perfection of the heavily orchestrated and controlled media blitzkrieg that was NObama's trip. Everyone else can see it for what it was.

I never knew memy approved of Bush's village idiot persona.

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM

'Everyman'? He was wandering through a supermarket in a suit, then speaking to the press in Aisle 5.

markk
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
it's funny to watch the people who (all the way up until he finished off Romney in April or so) would have gotten on their knees for John McCain and had been praising him for his sensible and centrist positions since early 1999 now suddenly bash him as the devil incarnate.

just shows that no matter who you are, all you really need is to come within 10 feet of emperor barack's gilded coach for BO's SS to throw a bag over your head

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
More ageism. I suppose attacking McCain's age is acceptable?

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
it's funny to watch the people who (all the way up until he finished off Romney in April or so) would have gotten on their knees for John McCain and had been praising him for his sensible and centrist positions since early 1999

I don't know what rock you've been living under, but McCain ran away from those positions a while ago. Way before the primaries. He had to if he wanted to win the nomination.

now suddenly bash him as the devil incarnate.

I see critiques of him. I don't see much in the way of villifying, particularly compared to how Obama gets villified around here.

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:39 PM

In some circumstances, certainly. Age can clearly be a hindrance to job performance.

McCain said in 2000 that he'd be too old to run in 2008. Perhaps you should take it up with him.

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I see critiques of him. I don't see much in the way of villifying, particularly compared to how Obama gets villified around here.

GWB-but-Senile
alzheimers patient

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM
In some circumstances, certainly. Age can clearly be a hindrance to job performance.

Well, let's be specific to the circumstance of POTUS. From what I've heard, McCain is in very good health.

Reaper16
07-25-2008, 01:42 PM
it's funny to watch the people who (all the way up until he finished off Romney in April or so) would have gotten on their knees for John McCain and had been praising him for his sensible and centrist positions from early 1999 to 2004 now suddenly bash him as the devil incarnate.

FYP

markk
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM

i've been villifying Obama as a phony ever since he appeared on the scene. my position is consistent.

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
GWB-but-Senile
alzheimers patient

Nah, not really. I'm talking about making someone out to be evil or rotten, like the 'devil incarnate' markk brought up. You don't see much of that against McCain here, outside of the terrible things Jake has said about McCain.

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Well, let's be specific to the circumstance of POTUS. From what I've heard, McCain is in very good health.

Nobody's talking about his physical health when they're saying his age will be a hindrance. They're talking mentally.

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 01:47 PM

McCain is teh DEBBIL!!! TEH DEBBIL I TELL YOU! HE IS THE BEAST PROPHESIED IN THE BOOK OF REVELATION!

He reaches out with his phthisic hands, makes a gesture, and crops wither and die, animals low in pain, and women shudder as pain fills their wombs! He leers at young people, sending the chill of ancient crypts and forgotten tombs into their blood! His every utterance evokes the screech of moving doors in the chambers of antiquity, rusted and squeaking with the tortured screams of innocents!

Is that adequate vilification?

Taco John
07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I've never seen anything more cheezy...

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2008/07/25/image4292681g.jpg

McCain is helping people shop? What do you suppose he's pointing out there?

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
it's funny to watch the people who (all the way up until he finished off Romney in April or so) would have gotten on their knees for John McCain and had been praising him for his sensible and centrist positions since early 1999 now suddenly bash him as the devil incarnate.Am I allowed to keep calling McCain a sellout with the dignity of a two-dollar whore now?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4082005&postcount=54

The John McCain of 2000 would bitch slap the John McCain of 2007.

Oh, hey McCain. How's that "licking Bush and the religious right's taint" thing going for your campaign?Oops, guess it worked out okay when the Republicans realized they hated everyone ELSE, too.

HolmeZz
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
McCain is teh DEBBIL!!! TEH DEBBIL I TELL YOU! HE IS THE BEAST PROPHESIED IN THE BOOK OF REVELATION!

He reaches out with his phthisic hands, makes a gesture, and crops wither and die, animals low in pain, and women shudder as pain fills their wombs! He leers at young people, sending the chill of ancient crypts and forgotten tombs into their blood! His every utterance evokes moving doors in the chambers of antiquity, rusted and squeaking with the blood of innocents.

Is that adequate vilification?

Yup. That'd cover about a days worth of the Obama material we get here.

mlyonsd
07-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Back in his day you could buy 2 dozen ears of sweet corn for a quarter.

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM

McCain is helping people shop? What do you suppose he's pointing out there?"My friends, we simply cannot allow this to go on. Back in my day, tomatoes were the perfect balance of ripe, firm, and juicy. Now, they meet one or even none of those standards. That's not change we can believe in!"

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM

That scene reminded of something I'd seen before. I finally remembered where.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0fIhnboptk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0fIhnboptk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Nah, not really. I'm talking about making someone out to be evil or rotten, like the 'devil incarnate' markk brought up. You don't see much of that against McCain here, outside of the terrible things Jake has said about McCain.

Fair enough.

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Yup. That'd cover about a days worth of the Obama material we get here.McSsiah, lol

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Nobody's talking about his physical health when they're saying his age will be a hindrance. They're talking mentally.

I see. Do we have any indication that McCain does not have full command of his faculties?

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I see. Do we have any indication that McCain does not have full command of his faculties?

Well, there's all that trouble on the Iraqi-Pakistan border he's concerned with. :p

Granted, that may not show a loss of faculties. It might only reflect simple ignorance of the geography of a region critical to US interests at this time.

Taco John
07-25-2008, 01:55 PM

Since when hasn't it been? I didn't get the memo.

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2008, 01:56 PM
I see. Do we have any indication that McCain does not have full command of his faculties?Czechoslovakia x 1000
"Iraq-Pakistan Border"
Anbar Awakening x 3 or 4 at this point, post-correction
"Iraq was the first major conflict after 9/11"

For a few very recent examples.

The guy's a gaffe machine, and he keeps trying to hammer on the surge at the expense of opportunities to push other, more beneficial positions, seemingly because he's just pissed that Obama isn't on his knees at the thought of it. Maybe he's not senile, but he's a silly, silly man, and it's pretty amusing.

Taco John
07-25-2008, 01:57 PM

You'd have to make that judgement for yourself, but I think there's been plenty of indication that he doesn't have it all together...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v6GBdyws5YU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v6GBdyws5YU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Donger
07-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Since when hasn't it been? I didn't get the memo.

I view attacking someone's age as being comparable to attacking one's race.

RJ
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
He shoulda bought some scrapple while he was there. You can't buy scrapple in the Arizona groceries. Oh, and some Utz potato chips.

Adept Havelock

:hmmm:

Do you believe "race" can be a limiting factor on one's mental faculties, as advanced age can be?

I'm unaware of a medical/mental condition like senility that can be linked specifically to race. :shrug:

He shoulda bought some scrapple while he was there. You can't buy scrapple in the Arizona groceries. Oh, and some Utz potato chips.

Scrapple? Is that anything like Scumble? Last time I tried a couple of jiggers of Scumble, they found me trying to build a nest on top of the Tower of Art.

Ultra Peanut
I view attacking someone's age as being comparable to attacking one's race.The difference being, old age actually can impact one's faculties and abilities. Race does not.

Taco John
07-25-2008, 02:01 PM

So why weren't you here arguing loudly when people were attacking Obama's age?

Goapics1
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM

<embed FlashVars='videoId=177449' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

CAMPAIGN CLEANUP IN AISLE 2

No better visual than an old guy wandering aimlessly through a supermarket. I like how he had to look down at his notes to say how much a gallon of milk costs. Was that really something he couldn't easily recall?

"Your flags are broken, they are not on fire!"
Funny.

RJ
07-25-2008, 02:08 PM
:Scrapple? Is that anything like Scumble? Last time I tried a couple of jiggers of Scumble, they found me trying to build a nest on top of the Tower of Art.

Scrapple is a breakfast meat made from pork parts not considered worth enough to go into bologna and hot dogs - the leftovers leftovers, if you will. I think it's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing. But if he wants to look like Everyman, that should do the trick.

Chiefnj2
07-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Denise,
Since you are viewed at times as being a terrorist sympathizer, how can you support McCain - the guy who wants to wage war with even more brown people? Doesn't that go against your instincts for self preservation?

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Scrapple is a breakfast meat made from pork parts not considered worth enough to go into bologna and hot dogs - the leftovers leftovers, if you will. I think it's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing. But if he wants to look like Everyman, that should do the trick.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I have to go :Lin:

Taco John
07-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Come on... This is embarassing...

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3157589/8954856

I get the strategy - and it might work, who knows. But it sure looks weak. McCain looks pretty clueless in a grocery store.

I can't decide which is more silly - McCain helping this woman pick out groceries, or standing in front of Kraft Singles talking about General Petraus and "The Surge."

Chiefnj2
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Come on... This is embarassing...

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3157589/8954856

I get the strategy - and it might work, who knows. But it sure looks weak. McCain looks pretty clueless in a grocery store.

I can't decide which is more silly - McCain helping this woman pick out groceries, or standing in front of Kraft Singles talking about General Petraus and "The Surge."

I vote for standing in front of a shelf of cheese while giving a cheesy explanation.

BucEyedPea
07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
What a sucky election. Neither candidate has kissed a baby yet!:#

***SPRAYER
07-25-2008, 02:51 PM

This is what happens when the mass media hand picks the candidates.

mlyonsd
07-25-2008, 02:56 PM

McCain has come to realize he makes babies scream in terror and Obama knows they're two young to donate money through the internet.

|Zach|
07-25-2008, 03:24 PM
it's funny to watch the people who (all the way up until he finished off Romney in April or so) would have gotten on their knees for John McCain and had been praising him for his sensible and centrist positions since early 1999 now suddenly bash him as the devil incarnate.

I bolded the part that doesn't fit.

A lot of people around here love the John McCain of 2000, but this unprincipled "say anything to get elected" shell of that guy bears no resemblance. And people have been able to see that for a while.

Donger
07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
:hmmm:

Do you believe "race" can be a limiting factor on one's mental faculties, as advanced age can be?

I'm unaware of a medical/mental condition like senility that can be linked specifically to race. :shrug:

Valid point. No, I don't believe that. However, advancing age CAN limits one's mental faculties. We don't know if it will affect McCain or not.

markk
07-25-2008, 03:52 PM

A lot of people around here love the John McCain of 2000, but this unprincipled "say anything to get elected" shell of that guy bears no resemblance. And people have been able to see that for a while.

But you like the other "say anything to get elected" guy just fine. so... where's the beef...?

Adept Havelock
07-25-2008, 04:00 PM
But you like the other "say anything to get elected" guy just fine. so... where's the beef...?

In Clara Peller's grave?

|Zach|
07-25-2008, 04:00 PM

Obviously I disagree with your analysis.

markk
07-25-2008, 04:04 PM
In Clara Peller's grave?

aww man, I thought I was quoting Walter Mondale!

VAChief
07-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Race has nothing (or at least should have nothing in my opinion) to do with whether a person is qualified to be President.

I think in most cases age discrimination is unjustified as the performance on the job should or will dictate effective capabilities.

However, we are not talking about hiring a city bus driver here, this is the most powerful man in the world. I would certainly not make light of dementia or related disorders, but the risk does increase with age and that is something the American people have the right to consider.

Zebedee DuBois
07-26-2008, 11:33 AM

A more relevant comparison would be to experience - the two candidates being at opposite ends of their productive lives - one without enough experience and the other's age possibly a disability.

I don't think the race comparison works.

BigChiefFan
07-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Valid point. No, I don't believe that. However, advancing age CAN limits one's mental faculties. We don't know if it will affect McCain or not.
He's already reading from scripted notes just to remember the price of a gallon of milk. He also thinks Iraq is on the Pakistan border-yea he's got all of his faculties, alright. Mayor McCheese, the brain behind the operations.

Sully
07-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh, I'm searching for just the right NObama avatar. If he wins I'll wear it proudly for four years. Just as I have the DUHbya avatar.

Once again, proving you don't really care if he actually does some stuff you like, or takes the country in a direction you agree with... you'd rather tear him down with no actual reason for 4 years for a tantrum.
At least the right wingers can fall back on disagreeing with him being a liberal.

Mr. Kotter
07-26-2008, 12:09 PM

A lot of people around here love [him], but this unprincipled "say anything to get elected" shell of that guy bears no resemblance. And people have been able to see that for a while.

:spock:

If you don't see that this applies equally to both candidates, you aren't even half as smart as I have been inclined to give you credit for over the years...

LMAO

memyselfI
07-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Once again, proving you don't really care if he actually does some stuff you like, or takes the country in a direction you agree with... you'd rather tear him down with no actual reason for 4 years for a tantrum.
At least the right wingers can fall back on disagreeing with him being a liberal.

He's positioned himself so that no one knows who he is or what he believes or why...blank screen.

Thus, if he takes the country in a direction I agree with then I'll remove my avatar to something friendlier. Otherwise, I expect him to a one term Carterite.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced he won't win so it won't be an issue.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2008, 01:38 PM
:spock:

If you don't see that this applies equally to both candidates, you aren't even half as smart as I have been inclined to give you credit for over the years...

LMAOThere's a difference between positioning yourself to look better to voters and accusing your opponent of being fine with sacrificing troops if it leads to personal gain.

He's positioned himself so that no one knows who he is or what he believes or why...blank screen.OH GOD HE'S JUST AN EMPTY SLATE (http://cdn.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2008/01/18/MNSNUH7GC.DTL&o=0)

HolmeZz
07-26-2008, 02:14 PM
He's positioned himself so that no one knows who he is or what he believes or why...blank screen.

Thus, if he takes the country in a direction I agree with then I'll remove my avatar to something friendlier. Otherwise, I expect him to a one term Carterite.

You already criticized him by saying he'd be too liberal and he'd have an adoring congress willing to pass anything he wanted.

If that's not the direction you want to take the country, then you're intentionally setting up a scenario where you can feign disappointment.