PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What TV Chef's skills would you most like to have?

ChiefsFanatic
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Ok, I can cook chili, spaghetti and that is about it. I can't grill anything to save my life. However, I love to watch chefs cook on TV.

I often wish that I could cook like the chefs I am watching. So, if you could have the cooking skills and knowledge of any TV Chef, who would it be and why?

I am torn. I would love to grill like Steven Raichlen from BBQU. BBQU (http://www.bbqu.net/) I love beef, chicken and fish etc. that has been grilled, and it seems like that man is a magician with any kind of grill, and with anything that can be cooked on a grill.

But I also love all sorts of pastas, and every time I watch Lidia Bastianich on PBS (Lidia's Italy) my mouth waters. She can cook so many different kinds of pasta dishes that look exotic and delicious, and she makes it look so easy. And all her dishes are authentic. I just learned that she has a restaurant here in KC, and I will be going very soon. Lidia's KC (http://www.lidias-kc.com/)

eazyb81
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure what Giada actually cooks, but I want anything to do with her.

penguinz
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20080725-1edyuec6gi8r2gu14aaxbuubis.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/shouston/t3nb/swedishchef2.jpg-jpeg-image-407x568-pixels)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/shouston/t3nb/swedishchef2.jpg-jpeg-image-407x568-pixels) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

FAX
07-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to be able to squeeze Rachael Ray's tittahs every morning in the shower.

FAX

Rausch
07-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Anthony Bordain.

He's 1/2 street-drunk and 1/2 sophisticate. He's a guy like you allowed to go to parties and places you'll never see.

He strikes me as the kind of Joe that loves knowing what's out there but craves nothing more than a pregame type of atmosphere to show it off.

The Maya Angelou of Chefs...

Deberg_1990
The only one of these shows i watch at all is "Boy Meets Grill" on Food Network. Bobby Flay is the grillmaster i think?

DaFace
I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to be able to squeeze Rachael Ray's tittahs every morning in the shower.

FAX

My wife loves her, but she kind of gets on my nerves (Rachel Ray - not my wife). That being said, I agree that that experience would be pleasant as long as she doesn't talk.

Rausch
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM

FAX

My wife is pretty much a body duplicate for her.

She hates it because what she see's as her flaws are right up there on the big screen. We'll leave it at that...

eazyb81
07-25-2008, 01:19 PM

FAX

I'd rather squeeze her behind. She doesn't have much of anything up top.

wutamess
http://www.legaljuice.com/Chef%20angry%20mad%20cook%20south%20park.gif

eazyb81
The only one of these shows i watch at all is "Boy Meets Grill" on Food Network. Bobby Flay is the grillmaster i think?

My buddy just ate at Flay's restaurant in NYC, "Mesa Grill", and said it was awesome. No surprise there.

Rausch
07-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Exactly...

RJ
07-25-2008, 01:21 PM
I didn't know Raichlen had his own show. I'd like to see that.

I like to watch Mario Batali cook. He seems to really enjoy cooking and really enjoy talking about food. Every time I watch his show I end up craving Italian.

I'm not crazy about Rachel Ray's recipes but I agree with FAX, she'd be fun to shower with......as long as she never said "EVOO", that would bother me.

I wish Food Network would go back to having more shows about cooking and less shows about eating.

Rausch
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm not crazy about Rachel Ray's recipes but I agree with FAX, she'd be fun to shower with......as long as she never said "EVOO", that would bother me.

She's big on the letters but every cook with a show makes it the holy grail of cooking...

FAX
07-25-2008, 01:26 PM

To each his own, Mr. eazyb81. But, need I remind you of what the late, great Frank Zappa once opined; "Anything over a mouthful is wasted."?

And, Mr. Rausch, with all respect, your wife should count her blessings. They invented the pencil test for a reason.

FAX

DeezNutz
07-25-2008, 01:26 PM
All I know is that Bobby Flay seems to be able to do just about anything he wants in the cooking department. He seems to be the Superman of Food Network, so he gets my vote.

On the other hand, Giada is a grade-A piece of ass.

She's the movie star.
Rachael Ray is more the Mary Anne type.

I gravitate toward the more cosmopolitan look.

RJ
07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Anthony Bordain.

He's 1/2 street-drunk and 1/2 sophisticate. He's a guy like you allowed to go to parties and places you'll never see.

He strikes me as the kind of Joe that loves knowing what's out there but craves nothing more than a pregame type of atmosphere to show it off.

The Maya Angelou of Chefs...

Bourdain is great, I envy him. Went from a good but certainly not celebrity chef to author to tv star who gets paid to travel the globe. I also really enjoy his writing style. Kitchen Confidential was a great book, really fun to read and he made you feel like you knew the characters. I'd recommend it to anyone, but especially to anyone who has worked in the restaurant business.

eazyb81
07-25-2008, 01:28 PM
On the other hand, Giada is a grade-A piece of ass.

She's the movie star.

Hello boys.

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/model/giada-de-laurentiis/pictures/giada-de-laurentiis-picture-1.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I used to be a Rachel fan but she's overexposed.

I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Giada.

For skills and knowledge, I might have to go with Alton Brown. His food is very good, and the dude seems to know everything. I'd also consider Flay and Batali.

FAX
07-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't know this guy's name, but he was a young Brit ... on the Food Network for awhile, I think ... early to mid 20s maybe. I saw him a couple of times where he would go into some girl's kitchen and make dinner out of basically whatever she happened to have in the fridge.

I liked him for two reasons; 1) He seemed very adept at cobbling together great looking dishes out of random ingredients which seems like it would be fun and 2) He was constantly cooking with hottish girls who prepped for him and, apparently, adored his skills with an egg beater.

FAX

Nightfyre
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
If I had chef skills, I'd be forced to cook. Now, if you were to ask me which chef's skills I'd like for my prospective wife to have, I would have to go with Giada. The girl just looks like a good ****er and she can cook to boot.

Rausch
I used to be a Rachel fan but she's overexposed.

I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Giada.

Definitely.

More knowledge, more skill, and she KNOWS she's why you're watching.

Plus she got some dirty in 'er...

DeezNutz
Hello boys.

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/model/giada-de-laurentiis/pictures/giada-de-laurentiis-picture-1.jpg

Since she wasn't bending over, I could hardly recognize her. The Food Network understands her best side.

DeezNutz
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't know this guy's name, but he was a young Brit ... on the Food Network for awhile, I think ... early to mid 20s maybe. I saw him a couple of times where he would go into some girl's kitchen and make dinner out of basically whatever she happened to have in the fridge.

I liked him for two reasons; 1) He seemed very adept at cobbling together great looking dishes out of random ingredients which seems like it would be fun and 2) He was constantly cooking with hottish girls who prepped for him and, apparently, adored his skills with an egg beater.

FAX

The Take Home Chef? Right? Or something like that...He was the guy who "prepped" some hot woman before her man came home.

Stewie
07-25-2008, 01:39 PM
The Take Home Chef? Right? Or something like that...He was the guy who "prepped" some hot woman before her man came home.

Jamie Oliver. Another Brit I like is Nigella. She's put on a few pounds but is still nice to look at and listen to.

FAX
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM

That might be right. I'm a little fuzzy on it. I only watched part of the show a couple of times, but he made cooking look enjoyable. Or maybe it was the girls. Whatever he was doing, it seemed to work.

FAX

RJ
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM

FAX

You're probably thinking of Jamie Oliver. I liked his show. Like you said, always throwing something together using ordinary, inexpensive ingredients and usually very simply prepared.

BigRock
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM

I'm sure she's a fine cook, but her biggest skill appears to be the fact that her neck can hold up that gargantuan cranium.

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Here's a couple of nice pix. High res of Giada. God, I wanna be a freckle sometimes.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8567/80556813pi9.th.jpg (http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=80556813pi9.jpg) http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5278/73411900ec2.th.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=73411900ec2.jpg)

noa
07-25-2008, 01:56 PM
I would love to have the knowledge of Mario Batali. He knnows so much about all the different regions of Italy and how the ingredients vary widely. The cuisine is really diverse, and he understands it all. Very in tune with the traditions and history of Italian cooking.

But as for pure skills, I think Alton Brown because he has done practically everything on his show, from building a smoker out of a flower pot to teaching about properly cutting your meat to cooking the perfect chicken. I think he's got crazy skills, but its tough to tell when you don't get to taste the food. Also, he can do lots of different cuisines, he's not just a super expert in one area. I'd like to have that diversity.

And I would love to have an aunt or cousin or grandma who cooks like the Barefoot Contessa. She's not healthy at all, so I wouldn't want it all the time, but her food looks amazing, plus I love her demeanor on the show. Very relaxing. Sort of like watching Bob Ross.

ChiefsFanatic
07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
I would love to have the knowledge of Mario Batali. He knnows so much about all the different regions of Italy and how the ingredients vary widely. The cuisine is really diverse, and he understands it all. Very in tune with the traditions and history of Italian cooking.
And I would love to have an aunt or cousin or grandma who cooks like the Barefoot Contessa. She's not healthy at all, so I wouldn't want it all the time, but her food looks amazing, plus I love her demeanor on the show. Very relaxing. Sort of like watching Bob Ross.

If you like authentic italian, you should definitely watch Lidia. On her show she will go to the local market in whatever italian city they are in, and will buy some of the ingredients. The markets are amazing.

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM

But as for pure skills, I think Alton Brown because he has done practically everything on his show, from building a smoker out of a flower pot to teaching about properly cutting your meat to cooking the perfect chicken. I think he's got crazy skills, but its tough to tell when you don't get to taste the food. Also, he can do lots of different cuisines, he's not just a super expert in one area. I'd like to have that diversity.

If you're going unhealthy, I'd want grandma/aunt/whatever to be Paula Dean.

Stewie
07-25-2008, 02:04 PM

...and a stick of butter. I love her show, though.

noa
07-25-2008, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I like her a lot, too. I always want dessert after watching her show.

FAX
07-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Is Alton Brown the guy who explains the science of cooking? If so, I like him. He's sort of a Mr. Wizard of the fridge. Some of his information is "counter" intuitive, but I did pick up a simple but very logical hint from him regarding how to make biscuits rise higher during baking that worked really well.

FAX

noa
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Is Alton Brown the guy who explains the science of cooking? If so, I like him. He's sort of a Mr. Wizard of the fridge. Some of his information is "counter" intuitive, but I did pick up a simple but very logical hint from him regarding how to make biscuits rise higher during baking that worked really well.

FAX

Yeah, exactly. Sometimes he acts out the scientific processes in these really corny ways, like getting people to dress up in costumes representing molecules, etc. But you definitely learn a lot about why you do what you do in the kitchen.

mlyonsd
07-25-2008, 02:08 PM

FAX

Alton rocks. So does Gordon Ramsey. You stupid ******** donkey!

ChiefsFanatic
07-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Alton rocks. So does Gordon Ramsey. You stupid ******** donkey!

I would personally love to punch Ramsey right in his face. I would actually pay to punch him in the face. I can't stand that dickhead.

FAX
07-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Uh .... did Mr. mlyonsd just call me a stupid ****** donkey?

Please advise, as this may unfortunately call for all out war.

FAX THE NOT SURE IF HE'S PISSED OR NOT

Stewie
07-25-2008, 02:25 PM

No, Mr. FAX, he didn't call you that. That's how Gordon Ramsey talks to people on the show and he was making a joke.

mlyonsd
07-25-2008, 02:37 PM

Absolutley not. That's just what he says to people that scew up. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd never use that phrase on you, just most donk fans in general.

RJ
07-25-2008, 02:39 PM

Before you get pissed you should probably find out what he meant by ******. Perhaps it was a compliment.

penguinz
07-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Here's a couple of nice pix. High res of Giada. God, I wanna be a freckle sometimes.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8567/80556813pi9.th.jpg (http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=80556813pi9.jpg) http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5278/73411900ec2.th.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=73411900ec2.jpg)Those are not flattering pictures.

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Those are not flattering pictures.

I never made it higher than the cleavage on Giada's pic.

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I would personally love to punch Ramsey right in his face. I would actually pay to punch him in the face. I can't stand that dickhead.

See. I like him. I'd pay to have him yell, "It's raw!" and kick a trash can at me.

|Zach|
07-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Ramsey's business sense and leadership ability becomes very clear and impressed me in the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares.

I would love to break bread with the guy.

Carlota69
07-25-2008, 03:37 PM
I've been watching that "Next Food Network Star" show, and I gotta say, they have picked some shitty contestants. I like "Top Chef" alot better.

I wish I could cook well enough to compete in Iron Chef America. That show is crazy-intense sometimes. The only thing I dont like is that japanese guy who is wayyyyy over the top. "Our secret ingredient today is------ ZUUUUUCCCCHHHHHIIIINNNNNIIIIIIIIIII!!! :eek:

Outside of that, I really like alton, Billy, Paula, Cora, and Rachel. But I always find that I get hungry watching that network. Not good for the diet.:)

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Ramsey's business sense and leadership ability becomes very clear and impressed me in the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares.

BBC version is a lot better than the FOX version. I loved that show.

|Zach|
07-25-2008, 03:43 PM
BBC version is a lot better than the FOX version. I loved that show.

I still enjoy the Fox version but yes BBC is much better far and away.

Stewie
07-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Outside of that, I really like alton, Billy, Paula, Cora, and Rachel. But I always find that I get hungry watching that network. Not good for the diet.:)

Cat Cora likes the fish tacos in bed. Pissed me off.

Reaper16
07-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Anthony Bourdain is my favorite "celebrity chef" because he's a writer. He's a nice French bistro cook, but that's about it.

Mario Batali would be my answer. He's an AMAZING chef; one of the few celebrity chefs to actually be worth a damn.

If the chefs from the original Japanese language Iron Chef count, then they pick up votes as well. Hiroyuki Sakai, Chen Kenichi, Masaharu Morimoto, and Rokusaburo Michiba are all world-class talents.

Nightfyre
07-25-2008, 06:35 PM

I concur.

Joie
07-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Bobby Flay annoys the hell outta me. I love to watch him lose on "Throwdown". Alton Brown is my favorite, with Guy Fieri coming in second (although you rarely see him cook).

KcMizzou
07-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Guy Fieri coming in second (although you rarely see him cook).Is that the guy on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives?

If so, I'd love to have his job. (But I'd weigh 450lbs)

Joie
07-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Is that the guy on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives?

If so, I'd love to have his job. (But I'd weigh 450lbs)

That's him. There's a reason he's not skinny. :D

luv
07-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Bobby Flay annoys the hell outta me. I love to watch him lose on "Throwdown". Alton Brown is my favorite, with Guy Fieri coming in second (although you rarely see him cook).

I did actually see an episode of Guy's Big Bites last week. I think it's on weekends during the day sometime.

I also don't really care for Bobby Flay. Rachael Ray also annoys me, as well.

I love to watch Paula's Home Cooking.

As for the OP, I'm jealous of anyone who can chop/slice/dice/peel quickly. Prep work takes me forever whenever one of those is involved.

ChiefsFanatic
07-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Has anyone else even seen Lidia Bastianich cook? She is not really a celebrity chef, because as far as I know her show only airs on PBS. Her show is really all about the food and the different regions of Italy.

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I did actually see an episode of Guy's Big Bites last week. I think it's on weekends during the day sometime.

I also don't really care for Bobby Flay. Rachael Ray also annoys me, as well.

I love to watch Paula's Home Cooking.

As for the OP, I'm jealous of anyone who can chop/slice/dice/peel quickly. Prep work takes me forever whenever one of those is involved.

Get a good knife. It'll make it easier. If it's easier, you'll do it more often. If you do it more often, you'll get better.

And by a good knife, I don't mean as Wusthoff. Nothing wrong with it, but spend a little more and you can go from Wusthoff=Good to Tojiro=Great.

I was satisfied with the knives I had... and I had some decent knives. One year my brother bought me a Japanese blade by Tojiro. That bad boy ruined me on any western-style knife. Now all my knives are Japanese. Have a very nice set of handmade knives that would knock Wusthoff/Henckels/Cutco out of the water in about .4 seconds.

For a first knife, I'd go with the standard Tojiro Gyoto - it's an 8-inch chef's knife. Runs $80-$90. Find it at www.japanesechefsknife.com. It'll be WELL WORTH the money. You can get LOTS better, but this is just a tiny bit more expensive than the Wusthoff and others like it, but considerably better.

FAX
07-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Charlie "Cakeplate" O'Donnell is pretty good. He can only cook one thing, but he does it with panache and a certain reckless abandon.

FAX

pikesome
07-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Flay and Fieri both annoy the crap out of me. Fieri the most, I want to grab those backwards sunglasses and stab him in the neck with them.

Alton Brown's the man though.

JuicesFlowing
07-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm sure she's a fine cook, but her biggest skill appears to be the fact that her neck can hold up that gargantuan cranium.

EXACTLY!

SNR
07-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Cat Cora has the Vanna White thing down, I think. She looks very good for 42

http://epicurious.blogs.com/features__editor/images/2007/08/21/cat_cora_at_mma.jpg

KcMizzou
07-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Cat Cora has the Vanna White thing down, I think. She looks very good for 42
And she already has many cats...

SNR
07-25-2008, 09:03 PM
And she already has many cats...That's only because she's about to challenge Bobby Flay in Asian cuisine

KcMizzou
07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
That's only because she's about to challenge Bobby Flay in Asian cuisineLMAO

Well played.

KCUnited
07-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Rachel Ray = Man Nugs

Sandra Lee for the looks. Giada is alright, but I prefer used and abused to prim and proper.

Bobby for Southwest.

Most wanted food has to go to Batali.

Smed1065
07-25-2008, 11:22 PM
The syndicated skill.

Baby Lee
07-26-2008, 06:47 AM
I'll take Ramsey's penchant for $$, business sense, and networking FTW!!!

2bikemike
07-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Bobby Flay would be cool to hang out with and cook up some good BBQ.
Giada would definately fill my need for Italian.
Rachel Ray annoys the hell outta me.
Alton Brown is a so damn kooky he's actually pretty cool. I really enjoyed his motorcycle trip shows. I would take a road trip with him.
If I wanted food like mom used to make I would head over to Paula Dean's
Another that annoys the hell outta me is the Barefoot contessa lady.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Bobby Flay without a doubt - I love spicy foods and he seems to be able to make anything to perfection

Spicy McHaggis
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM

FAX

Good Eats is one of the few cooking shoes I actually enjoy watching and at the end feel like I've learned something. His show isn't "Here's a recipe now watch me make it" but rather an explanation on technique, why said technique works the way it does and how to improvise on your own.

I owe it to Alton that I've expanded beyond chili, BBQ and burgers in my culinary knowledge.

Baby Lee
07-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Good Eats is one of the few cooking shoes I actually enjoy watching and at the end feel like I've learned something. His show isn't "Here's a recipe now watch me make it" but rather an explanation on technique, why said technique works the way it does and how to improvise on your own.

I owe it to Alton that I've expanded beyond chili, BBQ and burgers in my culinary knowledge.

Yeah, I'm a big Alton fan, but I don't think of him as a savant chef. He's more of a meat and potatoes, basics, guy with nerd appeal.
I don't see him paving new gastonomical ground or innovating cuisine, or even taking staples to new heights.

Kind of the difference between the guy who designs and fabricates the newest Formula One supermotor and the backyard mechanic who can tune up your Ford with a basic set of Matco.

Rausch
07-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Rachel Ray = Man Nugs

Sandra Lee for the looks. Giada is alright, but I prefer used and abused to prim and proper.

Ingrid Hoffman might be your girl then. She reminds me of Tommy's g/f from Rescue Me.

She'll show you how to cook 2 dishes and like 4 drinks to every show.

http://edibletv.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/hoffman.jpg

http://www.hispanicmpr.com/images/20082/hmprIngridHoffmann.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I'm a big Alton fan, but I don't think of him as a savant chef. He's more of a meat and potatoes, basics, guy with nerd appeal.
I don't see him paving new gastonomical ground or innovating cuisine, or even taking staples to new heights.

Kind of the difference between the guy who designs and fabricates the newest Formula One supermotor and the backyard mechanic who can tune up your Ford with a basic set of Matco.

What makes me think I'd want Alton's expertise if I had to choose a TV chef's skill set is his overall knowledge. His food is good. He doesn't do anything great, but he does everything very well.

I'm a big fan of that versatility.

RJ
07-26-2008, 01:24 PM
If you guys like Alton Brown's show you might want to invest in one of his books. Like the show, he deals with the "science" of cooking more so than the art. The recipes are very much step by step with an explanation of why the steps are taken, sort of a "cooking for engineers" type process. He also tends to devote some space to the tools of the trade which most cook books ignore. Like BL said, it's mostly everyday type food but that's ok, I eat a lot of everyday food.