PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Xbox 360 hdmi question.

crispystl420
07-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I have an early model 360 that doesn't have the hdmi hook up on in. Is there an adaptor I can buy to hook an hdmi cable up to it???

QuikSsurfer
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
There is no adapter.

Jewish Rabbi
07-25-2008, 01:39 PM
There is no adapter.

Actually I did see some at Best Buy the other day, they were like $90 tho, it's hardly worth it...

crispystl420
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM
There is no adapter.

That is bs they need to make an adaptor my boy hooked his up to hdmi and he said it is night and day vs the component cable. Does it really make that big of a diference.

Jewish Rabbi
07-25-2008, 01:42 PM
That is bs they need to make an adaptor my boy hooked his up to hdmi and he said it is night and day vs the component cable. Does it really make that big of a diference.
No, it makes hardly any difference at all if you're comparing the HDMI to component since most 360 games aren't in native 1080p.

If you're talking about the analog video, then there is a TON of difference.

Pablo
07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
There is an adapter. It's made by MadCatz. It's $80-90 at Best Buy. And it does make a big difference over component cables.

It plugs into the slot where I used to have my wireless network adapter.

QuikSsurfer
07-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Hmmm
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/13/madcatz-xbox-360-hdmi-conversion-kit-now-officially-available/

Does your tv have VGA?

Jewish Rabbi
07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
And it does make a big difference over component cables.

Really? My friend has an elite with the HDMI and I can't tell the difference at all between mine with just the component cables.

QuikSsurfer
07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Really? My friend has an elite with the HDMI and I can't tell the difference at all between mine with just the component cables.

HUGE difference.

Frazod
07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I'd check online before buying ANY cable at BestBuy. The mark-up on cables is outrageous. Same with Tiger Direct or basically any retail store.

Try monoprice.com. Cables that Tiger Direct charges $30+ for you can buy there for around $5.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-25-2008, 01:59 PM
There would be a HUGE difference between component and HDMI.

However, if you plug a component hook-up into an HDMI converter, you're still getting the component signal, you're just getting it through the HDMI cable.

Meaning, unless you absolutely MUST have HDMI, there is no point whatsoever. You're wasting your money.

Pablo
07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Okay.

So I wanted to make sure I wasn't just bullsh*tting myself and thinking I bought a decent product and didn't waste $90.

And I wasn't. I put in Gears of War. Probably the best looking game for the 360, with the sharpest color contrasts, etc. I played two rounds of multiplayer first with my HDMI conversion kit plugged in. Then I played two rounds with my Component cables on the HD setting.

The difference is night and day. I can't even express how much better the HDMI upconversion kit looks. It almost makes me sick to think I might have been happy playing games through my component when I got this little kit for $90 and it makes this game look sooooo much better. I'm willing to be the contrast on sports titles like NCAA 09 wouldn't be so stark, but it most definitely, made all the difference in the world on Gears.

I even had my fiance sit here about 3 feet from the TV and "study" the game while I played to get an objective opinion. She told me the component cables made the game look "flat" and "fuzzy".

I don't care to know the technical aspects...or if I'm getting true HDMI or not. I have excellent eye-sight and the difference is amazing. I remember being a little pissed off that my $900 TV didn't impress me that much when I put in Gears a month ago, then I got this kit and it is worth it IMO.

Pablo
07-25-2008, 02:22 PM
However, I will admit that most MadCatz products I've ever gambled on were absolute trash. And this was definitely not a "safe" buy. People complained about signal loss and audio issues, but I've had neither so I can't comment on that.

It's worked great so far for me, and I'm hoping no issues arise.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-25-2008, 03:26 PM
I said component, not composite. Sorry. I've got mine hooked up through the RGB composite cables. Don't think it would make a difference between those and the HDMI, unless you are on the elite and actually getting the HDMI signal.

Over component... yeah, anything's better.

crispystl420
07-25-2008, 05:56 PM
I said component, not composite. Sorry. I've got mine hooked up through the RGB composite cables. Don't think it would make a difference between those and the HDMI, unless you are on the elite and actually getting the HDMI signal.

Over component... yeah, anything's better.

What are these composite cables? (Sorry to sound like an idiot)

KCChiefsMan
07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
ok Gonzo, what kind of TV do you have? do you have an LCD TV with 1080p? I have a plasma with 720p but it does has HDMI hookups. Currently I'm using those monster cables component video for the 360. Would it be worth it to buy an HDMI cable for the 360 if you don;t have a TV that can do 1080p?

Pablo
07-25-2008, 06:18 PM
ok Gonzo, what kind of TV do you have? do you have an LCD TV with 1080p? I have a plasma with 720p but it does has HDMI hookups. Currently I'm using those monster cables component video for the 360. Would it be worth it to buy an HDMI cable for the 360 if you don;t have a TV that can do 1080p?Nm.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-25-2008, 06:40 PM
What are these composite cables? (Sorry to sound like an idiot)

Composite cables are the red, blue and green cables. For high-def package, you should have five cables (the RGB, then a red and white for L/R audio). Component cables are the red, white and yellow. Not high def.

If you have the original Xbox 360, go get the high-def kit that has the composite (should probably be $30-$40).

Guru
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Composite cables are the red, blue and green cables. For high-def package, you should have five cables (the RGB, then a red and white for L/R audio). Component cables are the red, white and yellow. Not high def.

If you have the original Xbox 360, go get the high-def kit that has the composite (should probably be $30-$40).

I think you have component and composite backwards bud. :D

Fried Meat Ball!
07-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Do I? **** if I know anymore. I get myself all confused sometimes.

:sulk:

I never can remember which one is Bill Pullman and which one is Bill Paxton. But I know whichever one was the whiny bitch in Aliens is a shitty actor, and I can't believe he gets jobs. And the only thing he's ever done that was worth as shit was True Lies.

Guru
07-26-2008, 12:28 AM

I never can remember which one is Bill Pullman and which one is Bill Paxton. But I know whichever one was the whiny bitch in Aliens is a shitty actor, and I can't believe he gets jobs. And the only thing he's ever done that was worth as shit was True Lies.

ROFL

so you didn't like Bill Paxton in Apollo 13?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-26-2008, 06:47 AM
ROFL

so you didn't like Bill Paxton in Apollo 13?

Is that Paxton? No. He's a shitty actor.

You know... that's not funny. You could have said Pullman was in Apollo 13. Either way, I would have had to IMDB it to make sure.

Frazod
07-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Obviously you've never seen Frailty. Paxton starred in and directed it, and it's amazingly good.

QuikSsurfer
07-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Obviously you've never seen Frailty. Paxton starred in and directed it, and it's amazingly good.

Very good movie.

LOL at FMB

Fried Meat Ball!
07-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Very good movie.

LOL at FMB

:harumph:

:deevee:

:#

:grr:

Frazod
07-26-2008, 01:14 PM
:harumph:

:deevee:

:#

:grr:

Heh. Gotcha! :D

Guru
07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Is that Paxton? No. He's a shitty actor.

You know... that's not funny. You could have said Pullman was in Apollo 13. Either way, I would have had to IMDB it to make sure.

Component... composite...
Pullman.... Paxton....

Fried Meat Ball!
07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Component... composite...
Pullman.... Paxton....

You make fun... but seriously. Very few things, name-wise, confuse me. I get those things mixed up all the time. Drives me batty.

A ****in' Bill whatever his name is. What a shitty actor. The guy in Independence Day - yeah, he's pretty good.

Guru
07-26-2008, 02:45 PM
You make fun... but seriously. Very few things, name-wise, confuse me. I get those things mixed up all the time. Drives me batty.

A ****in' Bill whatever his name is. What a shitty actor. The guy in Independence Day - yeah, he's pretty good.

ROFL

personally, I like Paxton better. Pullman always comes off wimpy even when he is kicking ass.

phisherman
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
how dare anyone call "chet" from weird science a bad actor!

paxton rules!