PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs expect rookies to handle key roles this season

Coogs
07-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Chiefs expect rookies to handle key roles this season
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

In the hours after the merciful end to last season, coach Herm Edwards began plotting for a brighter Chiefs future.

In between raindrops and tornado warnings, Edwards saw his vision come to life Friday when the Chiefs started training camp. Rookies were everywhere. Some played offense, some played defense. Some were starters, others came off the bench.

But as many as six were in significant roles.

“It’s refreshing,” Edwards said. “The (veteran) players have just kind of accepted it. The young guys have accepted that they’re expected to play and expected to play well.”

Both of Friday’s practices were forced indoors because of storms, so the Chiefs couldn’t even begin to unveil the scope of what they have planned for their rookies.

Two of them, tackle Branden Albert and fullback Mike Cox, were starting on offense. Another, cornerback Brandon Flowers, started on defense. He will be joined by unsigned defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey when he agrees to contract terms.

Will Franklin was the first receiver off the bench when the Chiefs went to their three-receiver formations. Brad Cottam joined Tony Gonzalez in the lineup when the Chiefs went to a double tight-end formation. Brandon Carr was the third cornerback.

The Chiefs also have plans for running back Jamaal Charles and kick returner Kevin Robinson, but those players will have to wait another day for their turns.

Edwards is hoping the talent and energy of his many rookies are more valuable than the experience of last season’s now-departed veterans. He’s willing to live with the inevitable mistakes of youth as long as they are in an acceptable ratio to big plays

“What they’ve got to realize is that just because you’re a young player, you don’t get a get-out-of-jail card where you can make a bunch of mistakes and it’s forgiven,” Edwards said. “You’re a professional and you have to know what to do, and that’s why we’re going to be very diligent in how we teach these guys.

“There are some ups and some downs. There are more ups than downs. I know that because there are previous teams where we did this. We did this down in Tampa. We’re going to go through some pain, but at the end you’re going to be a better team for this. That’s what’s happened to the teams that did it in the past.”

Dorsey is the centerpiece of the rebuilding effort. The Chiefs are hopeful that once he reports, Dorsey will be difficult for opponents to handle, and as a result make all of his teammates better.

Albert, a first-round pick like Dorsey, is just as important in his own way. At left tackle, Albert is playing the line’s most important position because he protects the quarterback’s blind side. He will face the opponent’s best pass rusher almost every week.

That’s a lot to ask of a rookie who spent only three seasons in college and played mostly at guard.

“It’s not overwhelming,” he said. “I don’t feel like this is anything I’m not ready for. They wouldn’t have drafted me and put me in the lineup if they didn’t think I was ready for this.

“The only thing I’m thinking about is playing my game and not letting my teammates down and not letting this organization down.”

The Chiefs are asking much of Flowers, their second-round pick. He will replace future Hall of Famer Ty Law in the starting lineup.

“I’m ready for the challenge,” he said. “That’s why I’m here, why I decided to come out of college after my junior year. The game was getting too slow for me. I want to experience some new things.

“It’s fun being a part of this when there are so many young players here. They’re trying to turn things around with youth. When we finally get out on the field, you’ll see a lot of guys playing with excitement and emotion. That will make our practices better and our team better.”

The Chiefs knew Dorsey, Albert and Flowers would be starters from the moment they were drafted. Cox wasn’t drafted and signed with the Chiefs afterward.

The expectations for him weren’t nearly as high, but he still arrived with some advantages. He played in college at Georgia Tech for new Chiefs coordinator Chan Gailey, so Cox knows the playbook better than any of his teammates.

“I feel like I’m in my fifth year at Georgia Tech, just about,” he said. “It feels the same. We’re running the same offense and the same plays.”

The Chiefs gave two older fullbacks, Oliver Hoyte and Chris Manderino, some snaps with the first team. The Chiefs normally defer to veterans when there’s competition for a starting position — and the older player is usually first in line.

But for now, it’s Cox’s job to lose. That’s just another sign the Chiefs are doing things in a whole new way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick comment here. I thought I read all along that Gailey was supposed to design an offense that would fit our talent. This reads like we are maybe not doing that, but just implementing the Georgia Tech offense.

:shrug:

Don't know if it is a big deal or not, but I hope that the Yellowjacket offense fits what we have.

SNR
07-26-2008, 12:33 PM
That's interesting. What kind of playbook did they run at GTech?

Coogs
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
That's interesting. What kind of playbook did they run at GTech?

No clue. I just thought Gailey was supposed to be a guy who fit a scheme to the players abilities, not as a guy who would try and fit the players to his scheme.

And maybe that is what he found to be the best once he looked at what he had to work with here. :shrug:

CosmicPal
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
“I feel like I’m in my fifth year at Georgia Tech, just about,” he said. “It feels the same. We’re running the same offense and the same plays.”

Well, that's just great! He just gave our season's opponents an awful lot of game film to pore over.

:doh!:

JuicesFlowing
07-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Can't be worse than what Solari threw out there last year.

JuicesFlowing
07-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, that's just great! He just gave our season's opponents an awful lot of game film to pore over.

:doh!:

My thoughts exactly ...

JimNasium
07-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Just a quick comment here. I thought I read all along that Gailey was supposed to design an offense that would fit our talent. This reads like we are maybe not doing that, but just implementing the Georgia Tech offense.

:shrug:

Don't know if it is a big deal or not, but I hope that the Yellowjacket offense fits what we have.

I would assume that the terminology and the basic principles are the same which has made the transition for Cox a simple one.

CupidStunt
07-26-2008, 01:41 PM
I just love Albert. Can't get enough of the guy. EVERY word that comes out of his mouth speaks volumes about his character.

Fish
07-26-2008, 02:51 PM
I thought Chan was implementing the A-11?

blueballs
08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Saturday, August 2, 2008: Family Fun Night

Defense

Oliver Hoyte asked Head Coach Herm Edwards to be moved from his fullback position to the opposite side of the ball as a linebacker. Hoyte played linebacker at North Carolina State, and Edwards said Hoyte simply feels more comfortable on the defensive side of the ball

Coach Edwards said Hoyte is more comfortable as a linebacker than he was as a fullback. “He could have been a part-time fullback and played special teams, or he could be a linebacker and play special teams.” Edwards feels Hoyte’s move was a good one.

dj56dt58
08-02-2008, 11:00 PM

**** Family Fun Night

Fish
08-02-2008, 11:20 PM

Defense

Oliver Hoyte asked Head Coach Herm Edwards to be moved from his fullback position to the opposite side of the ball as a linebacker. Hoyte played linebacker at North Carolina State, and Edwards said Hoyte simply feels more comfortable on the defensive side of the ball

Coach Edwards said Hoyte is more comfortable as a linebacker than he was as a fullback. “He could have been a part-time fullback and played special teams, or he could be a linebacker and play special teams.” Edwards feels Hoyte’s move was a good one.

Welcome back Boomer!