PDA

View Full Version : Science Do you believe earth has visitors from outerspace?

Wile_E_Coyote
07-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Fuzzy pictures and video. I wonder sometimes if it wasn't/isn't all a hoax
by governments. To funnel billions of dollars of tax payer money into the space program.

Not that I don't believe in the exploration of space. But I never hear of anyone questioning spending so much.

Anywho

ClevelandBronco
07-26-2008, 11:36 AM
It's a better conspiracy theory than most.

JuicesFlowing
07-26-2008, 11:37 AM
With all of the technology in the world today, I find it hard to believe that the only evidence we have of UFOs and such are grainy photos. Same deal with Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, etc. And on top of that, if Aliens were so advanced to fly here in their big ships, wouldn't they stay awhile, explore? Why so elusive? I have no idea.

CosmicPal
07-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Ancient cave dwellings have evidence etched into their walls- long before man ever developed machines or even had the notion to conceive the idea of machines.

ClevelandBronco
07-26-2008, 11:40 AM
...or even had the notion to conceive the idea of machines...

Now how would you know that?

Stewie
07-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Moon-walker claims alien contact cover-up

July 24, 2008 12:01am

<!-- END Story Toolbar --> <!-- Lead Content Panel --> FORMER NASA astronaut and moon-walker Dr Edgar Mitchell - a veteran of the Apollo 14 mission - has stunningly claimed aliens exist.

And he says extra-terrestrials have visited Earth on several occasions - but the alien contact has been repeatedly covered up by governments for six decades.

Dr Mitchell, 77, said during a radio interview that sources at the space agency who had had contact with aliens described the beings as 'little people who look strange to us.'

He said supposedly real-life ET's were similar to the traditional image of a small frame, large eyes and head.

Chillingly, he claimed our technology is "not nearly as sophisticated" as theirs and "had they been hostile", he warned "we would be been gone by now".

Dr Mitchell, along with with Apollo 14 commander Alan Shepard, holds the record for the longest ever moon walk, at nine hours and 17 minutes following their 1971 mission.

"I happen to have been privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet and the UFO phenomena is real," Dr Mitchell said.

"It's been well covered up by all our governments for the last 60 years or so, but slowly it's leaked out and some of us have been privileged to have been briefed on some of it.

"I've been in military and intelligence circles, who know that beneath the surface of what has been public knowledge, yes - we have been visited. Reading the papers recently, it's been happening quite a bit."

Dr Mitchell, who has a Bachelor of Science degree in aeronautical engineering and a Doctor of Science degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics claimed Roswell was real and similar alien visits continue to be investigated.

He told the astonished Kerrang! radio host Nick Margerrison: "This is really starting to open up. I think we're headed for real disclosure and some serious organisations are moving in that direction."

Mr Margerrison said: "I thought I'd stumbled on some sort of astronaut humour but he was absolutely serious that aliens are definitely out there and there's no debating it."

Officials from NASA, however, were quick to play the comments down.

In a statement, a spokesman said: "NASA does not track UFOs. NASA is not involved in any sort of cover up about alien life on this planet or anywhere in the universe.

'Dr Mitchell is a great American, but we do not share his opinions on this issue.'

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24070088-13762,00.html

Skip Towne
07-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Believe it when I see it.

Smed1065
07-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes, I am republican. Save us.

code orange

Frazod
07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Yes.

Even if you can dismiss most of the reports as bullshit, can you really dismiss ALL OF THEM as bullshit? Is there some vast global conspiracy to create a vast global conspiracy?

alanm
07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Ancient cave dwellings have evidence etched into their walls- long before man ever developed machines or even had the notion to conceive the idea of machines.
He posed for the etchings. :D

Bearcat
07-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Dr Mitchell, 77, said during a radio interview that sources at the space agency who had had contact with aliens described the beings as 'little people who look strange to us.'

Dr Mitchell, along with with Apollo 14 commander Alan Shepard, holds the record for the longest ever moon walk, at nine hours and 17 minutes following their 1971 mission.

You really shouldn't take off your helmet during moon walks...

BigMeatballDave
07-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes. Not because I have seen any, but because the Universe is way too big for us to be alone in it.

Third Eye
07-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Yes. Not because I have seen any, but because the Universe is way too big for us to be alone in it.

Well there is a pretty big difference between saying that and saying that they have visited us. I believe there is life out there. Have they ever been here? I am less sure about that one.

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 12:08 PM
I was on a long driving business trip the last couple of days, and drove right by this place. I didn't stop, though, because I figure climbing onto that platform just makes you a target for aliens.

UFO WATCHTOWER

http://www.ufowatchtower.com/

This site had a pretty good photo of it:

http://www.cozine.com/archive/cc2002/01040351.html

http://www.cozine.com/archive/cc2002/01040351.jpg

Skip Towne
07-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I was on a long driving business trip the last couple of days, and drove right by this place. I didn't stop, though, because I figure climbing onto that platform just makes you a target for aliens.

UFO WATCHTOWER

http://www.ufowatchtower.com/

This site had a pretty good photo of it:

http://www.cozine.com/archive/cc2002/01040351.html

http://www.cozine.com/archive/cc2002/01040351.jpg

You were attracted by that stick man weren't you?

HolyHandgernade
07-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I absolutely think there is other intelligent life in the universe. The vast distances that would have to be traversed lead me to believe visitation is unlikely, but I have to account for the fact our technology/understanding of the universe may also be quite primitive. So, speaking from percentages, no; speaking from possibility, yes; speaking from curiosity, "I sure hope so!"

-HH

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 12:19 PM
You were attracted by that stick man weren't you?

I admit it was marketing genius.

In fact, the whole concept was pretty humorous. This place is in an enormous valley with mountains on all sides, and one tree about every four miles. If you stand outside your car, you can see the whole valley. Maybe the extra ten feet of height on the platform lets you see alien ships that are hiding in the scrub brush.

One kind of odd thing happened, though. We were driving through that area on a Thursday afternoon, and then the next thing I remember was waking up at a Day's Inn on Friday morning, with a strange rash on my neck and a mutilated cow carcass next to the TV.

Bwana
07-26-2008, 12:20 PM
That would explain Shannon Sharpe......... :hmmm:

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I absolutely think there is other intelligent life in the universe. The vast distances that would have to be traversed lead me to believe visitation is unlikely, but I have to account for the fact our technology/understanding of the universe may also be quite primitive. So, speaking from percentages, no; speaking from possibility, yes; speaking from curiosity, "I sure hope so!"

-HH

I agree. I think the odds of life out there are 99.9999 percent. I think the odds of any of that life having the technology to visit us are 0.0001 percent. That means, though, that if there's enough life out there, someone could have the technology to do it.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I don't think it gets enough attention. If NASA finds life of Mars or Europa or Titan or wherever, even if it's the simplest microbial life, that completely blows up the theory of life in the universe. If 2 out of 9 planets in our little solar system support life independently, that means that life is EVERYWHERE, that it's incredibly common as opposed to incredibly rare. A 22 percent incidence rate would be extraordinary, and would convert the default theory from "small isolated outposts" to "Star Wars cantina".

petegz28
07-26-2008, 12:28 PM
I agree. I think the odds of life out there are 99.9999%. I think the odds of any of that life having the technology to visit us are 0.0001 percent. That means, though, that if there's enough life out there, someone could have the technology to do it.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I don't think it gets enough attention. If NASA finds life of Mars or Europa or Titan or wherever, even if it's the simplest microbial life, that completely blows up the theory of life in the universe. If 2 out of 9 planets in our little solar system support life independently, that means that life is EVERYWHERE, that it's incredibly common as opposed to incredibly rare. A 22 percent incidence rate would be extraordinary, and would convert the default theory from "small isolated outposts" to "Star Wars cantina".

I still wonder why most people think it is unlikely we have been visited? Life is everywhere whether we know it or not. The same physical properties that sustain life on this planet are all over the universe. Our sun-star is young, the universe is countless of billions of years old. The odds that someone was planting tomatoes long before our sun was ever born is pretty good.

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 12:37 PM
I still wonder why most people think it is unlikely we have been visited? Life is everywhere whether we know it or not. The same physical properties that sustain life on this planet are all over the universe. Our sun-star is young, the universe is countless of billions of years old. The odds that someone was planting tomatoes long before our sun was ever born is pretty good.

Yeah, it's quite possible. I tend to think it's a no, but I've got an open mind about it. I just find it odd to think that the aliens traveled 8 billion light-years successfully and then crashed in New Mexico. It seems like New Mexico wouldn't be hard to navigate compared to the Ice Meteors of Xlorthra or the Savage Space Hordes of Larimgarthra.

The key question for me is how one masters interstellar travel. Is it a process that requires millions of years of innovation and science and advancement? Or is it a concept that a human could conceivably figure out tomorrow, and it's one concept that, when solved, allows us to instantly become interstellar explorers? Maybe some other group somewhere happened to have the physical conditions where that concept was obvious to them, but our conditions on Earth mask it. Who knows?

My other wonder is if civilizations that have it don't want the newbies to get it. Think about nuclear weapons on earth. We don't want anyone like Iran to get it, and may be willing to use force if it looks like it's imminent. I wonder if some alien civilization has us on their watch list, and when some scientist eventually yells "Eureka!", our entire planet will be incinerated by a big ol' interstellar laser ten seconds later.

eazyb81
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
It's funny you posted this, as I watched a show this morning on the History Channel that talked about a group called the Majestic 12, which basically was a group of powerful military and government members that secretly discussed alien communication and technology. They presented a pretty compelling case, although it seemed almost like an X-Files episode. I suggest watching it if you are interested in this stuff.

Stewie
07-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Did anyone see the Science Channel program regarding the moon? They proposed that without the moon, life on earth would be limited. It showed how the moon maintains the earth's wobble and spin due to its gravitational pull. Without the moon we'd have a 90 degree wobble instead of a 1 degree wobble... meaning the earth would rotate and the North Pole would face the sun directly and then rotate back. That fact has scientists thinking not only do they need to find earth-like planets orbiting stars, but that those planets need to have a moon/mass orbiting it to control the spin/wobble of the earth-like body. I thought it made sense and was quite interesting.

Rausch
07-26-2008, 12:49 PM
I agree. I think the odds of life out there are 99.9999 percent. I think the odds of any of that life having the technology to visit us are 0.0001 percent. That means, though, that if there's enough life out there, someone could have the technology to do it.

Consider how long the dinosaurs were around. Most think a speeding space rock caused the mass extinction pushing them aside.

Imagine life starting on another planet at the same time only they don't get ****ed up by a space rock. They get how many millions of years extra to evolve over us?

Imagine just human science and technology 1,000 years from now, then consider a million.

If we don't kill ourselves first we'll discover space travel's secrets in a few hundred years...

Skip Towne
07-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Consider how long the dinosaurs were around. Most think a speeding space rock caused the mass extinction pushing them aside.

Imagine life starting on another planet at the same time only they don't get ****ed up by a space rock. They get how many millions of years extra to evolve over us?

Imagine just human science and technology 1,000 years from now, then consider a million.

If we don't kill ourselves first we'll discover space travel's secrets in a few hundred years...

That's probably true considering we've only been able to fly for 105 years.

RJ
07-26-2008, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Rain Man;4870542]Yeah, it's quite possible. I tend to think it's a no, but I've got an open mind about it. I just find it odd to think that the aliens traveled 8 billion light-years successfully and then crashed in New Mexico. It seems like New Mexico wouldn't be hard to navigate compared to the Ice Meteors of Xlorthra or the Savage Space Hordes of Larimgarthra.
QUOTE]

I can see where you might think that but you'd be wrong. You oughta see this place during baloon fiesta. Freaking tourists everywhere and all of them are driving around lost and completely distracted by the balloons - like they've never seen a damn balloon before - and I'm telling you they are all the time crashing into something or someone or sometimes even each other. So no, it does not surprise me in the least that aliens could travel bazillions of light years traversing unheard of dangers only to crash in New Mexico. They probably stopped for a ristra and some Hatch green chile and to get their pictures taken in front of a Route 66 highway sign.

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
I can see where you might think that but you'd be wrong. You oughta see this place during baloon fiesta. Freaking tourists everywhere and all of them are driving around lost and completely distracted by the balloons - like they've never seen a damn balloon before - and I'm telling you they are all the time crashing into something or someone or sometimes even each other. So no, it does not surprise me in the least that aliens could travel bazillions of light years traversing unheard of dangers only to crash in New Mexico. They probably stopped for a ristra and some Hatch green chile and to get their pictures taken in front of a Route 66 highway sign.

That's a very good point. Maybe our rules are different here and we fly on the wrong side of the sky like the British. Plus, the signage in New Mexico isn't always that great.

Rausch
07-26-2008, 01:15 PM
That's a very good point. Maybe our rules are different here and we fly on the wrong side of the sky like the British. Plus, the signage in New Mexico isn't always that great.

Besides, getting here is the easy part. Sure it's huge distances but those distances are made up of mostly nothing.

There's likely very little danger until you hit earth's alien weather, gravity, and idiots...

ClevelandBronco
07-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Besides, getting here is the easy part. Sure it's huge distances but those distances are made up of mostly nothing.

There's likely very little danger until you hit earth's alien weather, gravity, and idiots...

The morons probably collided with a weather balloon.

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 02:09 PM

(Chuckle.)

Can you imagine the confusion that would cause when they hit the ground?

Bowser
07-26-2008, 02:12 PM

Heh.

RJ
07-26-2008, 02:13 PM
You know, the government has long stated that the Roswell incident was actually a weather balloon but perhaps it was both - a UFO AND a weather balloon that had been involved in a highly unlikely accident!

Cleveland Bronco may have just unraveled a decades old mystery.

Fish
07-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I just hope the aliens are like those bounty hunter dudes in Critters. Those guys were cool.

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 02:15 PM
It really does explain everything. Should we notify someone?

RJ
07-26-2008, 02:16 PM
I'll drive down there and straighten everything out.

tmax63
07-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Getting here is not the problem. Just like flying in air is no problem, it's the take-offs and landings that are a bitch sometimes.

***SPRAYER
07-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Of course I believe it, I am one!

BWillie
07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
I find it highly doubtful that we have ever been visited by extraterrestrial visitors. First of all, how is somebody going to travel millions of light years to get to us, and why would they even try? Also, that conspiracy BS is stupid. Do you know how many different countries there are in the world and they all have different agendas. So basically the whole entire world would have to secretly agree to not disclose any evidence at all about foreign visitors including the likes of crazy countries who hate us. There is no way. I tend to not believe in conspiracy theories. If you believe in conspiracy theories you are really giving our government alot more credit than they deserve