PDA

View Full Version : Science Notable gaps in the animal kingdom

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 01:47 PM
These animals should exist:

1. A creature that releases a numbing agent in its saliva, so it can attack a sleeping animal without the sleeping animal not knowing it. Imagine waking up one morning to discover that a "Sleepeater" has eaten half your face off during the night.

2. A creature that releases strong antibodies, so it can eat part of a victim, but not the whole thing. In places where food is scarce, this large predator would pounce on a large victim like a deer or a human and gnaw its leg off. Then it would run off, satiated, and the victim would get back up, minus a leg, and survive again until the next attack. If the attacking animal was large enough, this would offset evolutionary changes like hippos and rhinos and elephants simply being too large to kill.

JBucc
07-26-2008, 01:48 PM
1. Vampire Bats and other blood sucking creatures do that, minus the eating of the face part.

2. There's little fish things that bite off chunks of whales and sharks and other fish.

Rain Man
07-26-2008, 02:04 PM
You just chewed the legs off of this thread and then released it.

Okay, revision. These creatures target humans. What if these creatures targeted humans?

beer bacon
07-26-2008, 02:06 PM
I think the camel spider does do the numbing agent thing, and it will also eat your face off while you sleep given the opportunity.

Baby Lee
07-26-2008, 02:07 PM
You just chewed the legs off of this thread and then released it.

Okay, revision. These creatures target humans. What if these creatures targeted humans?

They exist, they just haven't evolved opposable thumbs to open doors.

RJ
07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Our local butcher shop offers a deal where you can buy half a cow. I feel just terrible for the other half, someone should put it out of its misery.

I work with a guy who never shuts up yet is numbingly dull. When he talks to me I want to chew my own face off.

Fish
07-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I think the camel spider does do the numbing agent thing, and it will also eat your face off while you sleep given the opportunity.

Actually camel spiders have no venom. That's a myth.