PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with Herm 7/26 (first practice with pads)

Coogs
07-26-2008, 02:19 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/26/qa_with_herm_edwards__726/

Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 7/26
Jul 26, 2008, 1:30:28 PM

Q: Dorsey has signed?

HERM EDWARDS: “I’ll let Carl (Peterson) comment about that. I just talk about the players that are here. Carl will be talking to you in a few moments.

“It was good to get on the field. I told the players after (the practice) that it’s been six months since most of these guys participated in pads. For college guys it’s been longer than that. As usual, the first day in pads you’re a little bit high; you play high. You don’t get your pads down because of the fact you haven’t had them down in a while.

“Effort-wise I thought it was pretty good. I thought we fatigued near the end. That’s not unusual for your first day of practice. So we’ve got to pick it up this afternoon and go a lot faster and we’ve got to learn how to play with our pads down. That’s the most important thing in the first couple of days in training camp and once you get that resolved you start having good practices.

“I thought for the most part there weren’t a lot of mental errors, so that was good. But the speed and how we want to play we have to improve on every day.”

Q: Question on Brandon Flowers. You got thrown into the fire in the league as a young corner yourself. What kind of perspective can you offer him in light of your own experience?

EDWARDS: “He’s going to get a lot of chances to make plays because the ball’s going to come his way a lot. With that, you have to have selective memory. If something bad happens you have to let it go and just keep playing. The good thing for him is he’s played in a lot of big games in his career in a lot of big stadiums in a lot of big situations so he’s a very confident guy. You have to have confidence because every play could be a big play. Like they say, when you play outside the numbers there are only four guys there: the two wide receivers and the two corners. They play a whole different game than the guys who play inside the numbers. You can get exposed.”

Q: Knowing your personality you welcome that as a challenge. Is that how you look at it?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, if you play that position that’s the way you have to look at it. Once you break the huddle you’re not connected to anybody. It’s just you. You’re out there. It’s a great position to play if you have the mindset to play it. If you don’t and you’re not a very mentally tough guy this league has a way of weeding those guys out.”

Q: Is he that mentally tough? Or can you tell yet?

EDWARDS: “He’s a mentally tough kid. I think (Brandon) Carr is too. I think the kids we drafted understand what it’s going to take to play out there. You’ve got to be patient. They’re going to do some good things but they’re going to get beat too. The guys that get beat and recover from it are the guys that end up being very good corners in this league.”

Q: How far along is Carr? He’s a small school guy.

EDWARDS: “He’s coming along fine. He is a big strong physical guy who can run and has good ball skills and not afraid to tackle. You’re talking about a 200 pound corner over six feet who can run. He was a late bloomer coming out of high school. He wasn’t very big and so he didn’t get recruited by Michigan or Michigan State. He’s one of those guys you keep looking at on film and you visit with him and you learn that it won’t be too big for him. It really won’t.”

Q: How did Branden Albert look in pads today?

EDWARDS: “He did okay but he was high (with his pads) too. They were all high. It was a little bit of a pillow fight early and then all of a sudden the pads got down and you could hear some hitting. It’s always that way. It doesn’t change in football. You’re not going to be executing at your best the first day. With that being said, we’ve got to do a better job this afternoon. We have shoulder pads on again this afternoon. Now, we have shorts on, but we have shoulder pads. The big guys are going to have to get their pads low and deliver blows and not catch. They haven’t done it in several months.”

Q: If there is one thing he needs to work on, what would it be?

EDWARDS: “Technique playing left tackle. Footwork, handwork. He’s a very athletic guy and that’s why we like him. He has good feet, it’s just the techniques that we’re going to ask him play compared to what he’s been taught in college. That’s the difference with the these young guys: certain things they learned in college and all of a sudden they get a pro coach and it’s a little different. It’s learning something new – not the position so much but the technique that’s required to play the position. We’re a very detailed coaching staff in teaching technique. He’ll be fine. He’s athletic, has long arm and he’s not on the ground a lot. That’s good. You don’t want offensive or defensive linemen on the ground.”

Q: Are you pleased with what you saw in the first day of practice?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, there will be some good things and some things you won’t be pleased with. When they settle down by Monday, I anticipate, they’ll get a flow of how practice is going to run. It’s a process. No one is going to practice their best practice the first day. It won’t happen. There are a lot of things going through a guy’s mind. I was one of those guys. I understand that part.”

Q: You said you’ll have 95% of the offense in. How much different is that playbook from the last one?

EDWARDS: “The volume is not the same as it was in the past and that’s probably good for us. It allows us to simplify some things. It’s more of a concept offense, so as the game is being played there are certain things we can go to when (opponents) are doing things to us. We have the ability to change and the ability to create a lot of one-on-one matchups which we want in the passing game.

“With concepts players can learn. When you say a name they understand it’s a route they have to run. On offense we have about five or six runs – that’s it. Now we have different formations and different personnel groups but we still have those runs. I think good running teams generally have five or six runs. They either formation you or personnel you but they continue to run the ball a certain way. That’s how we’re going to play football and with that players have to learn what to do. It’s not an easy learn but it’s probably easier than it was in the past.”

Q: You will increase that as the season goes on?

EDWARDS: “It gets a little thicker but what you do when you attack people you really try to find out where their vulnerability is. That’s how you set your game plan and you’re always changing it.”

Q: You talked about competition yesterday. Is there going to be a true number two back after LJ (ohnson) or is it whatever style works?

EDWARDS: “When you look at running backs you’ll probably only be able to dress three of them and I think we have four or five good tailbacks. That will work itself out: who is the number two and who is the number three because you’re only going to be able to dress three at the most. The others are going to have to be special teams’ players too. They’re going to have to contribute there. But there are a lot of different packages that we’re going to go to offensively so they can get involved in our offense.”

Q: When your number one guy is healthy there can you afford to dress three running backs?

EDWARDS: “If they’re the best special teams players yeah. That’s what it boils down to: generally you get down to 42 guys and then the 43rd, 44th, and 45th are generally special teams guys. That’s how you kind of make your decisions on Sunday. It could be another running back, another offensive lineman, defensive lineman, linebacker. Whoever is the best three guys is the guys you want to dress.”

Woodrow Call
07-26-2008, 02:23 PM
They were all high.

I should've went to River Falls.

Fish
07-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Little Known Fact of the Day: Herm was once a player.

I'm sure none of you knew that. He was a player!