PDA

View Full Version : Computers Video Editing 101---Help!

Boon
07-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a DVD recorder with a hard drive. I have some football games recorded to the hard drive. I would like to edit out all the commercials using a PC. How do I go about doing this? Burn it to DVD, then transfer it to the PC and use some software to edit it? What is a good software package for doing this? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.....GO CHIEFS!!

Count Zarth
07-27-2008, 11:59 AM
I use virtualdubmod for editing out commercials. Takes time to re-encode a full game though, like a few hours.

It's free and has a lot of third-party plugins, too. You'll need to take the DVD and copy the .VOB files off the disc to your computer in order to edit them in VDub.

Boon
07-27-2008, 12:11 PM
I use virtualdubmod for editing out commercials. Takes time to re-encode a full game though, like a few hours.

It's free and has a lot of third-party plugins, too. You'll need to take the DVD and copy the .VOB files off the disc to your computer in order to edit them in VDub.

Is the .VOB file created when I burn the hard drive contents to the DVD using my DVR? Thanks for the response.

Count Zarth
07-27-2008, 01:37 PM
DVDs are full of .VOB files, yes. It's basically an MPEG-2 file. Depending on the length of the DVD there may be several of them.

Boon
07-27-2008, 01:43 PM
DVDs are full of .VOB files, yes. It's basically an MPEG-2 file. Depending on the length of the DVD there may be several of them.

Gotcha. Which version of Vdub do you use? Will it do fades, wipes, transitions, etc? What is used to make chapters? Thanks in advance.

Count Zarth
07-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Gotcha. Which version of Vdub do you use? Will it do fades, wipes, transitions, etc? What is used to make chapters? Thanks in advance.

Um, the latest one? It's not a timeline editor, it's used more for "preparing" clips.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdubmod/VirtualDubMod_1_5_10_2_All_inclusive.zip?modtime=1125529938&big_mirror=0

Mainly I use it for resizing/cropping and adjusting contrast/brightness. And of course cutting out commercials.

If you want a simple timeline editor, Camtasia Studio is what I use, but it costs money. Unless you're familiar with the bittorrent network. :D

Boon
07-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Um, the latest one? It's not a timeline editor, it's used more for "preparing" clips.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdubmod/VirtualDubMod_1_5_10_2_All_inclusive.zip?modtime=1125529938&big_mirror=0

Mainly I use it for resizing/cropping and adjusting contrast/brightness. And of course cutting out commercials.

If you want a simple timeline editor, Camtasia Studio is what I use, but it costs money. Unless you're familiar with the bittorrent network. :D

What is this bittorrent network you speak of? :D