PDA

View Full Version : Elections The War and the Surge

beer bacon
07-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Watching John McCain and Barack Obama give interviews to various TV news hacks, I have found a large inconsistency in how those interviews are conducted.

Lately, Obama can't do an interview without being hammered to "admit" the Surge worked and he was wrong.

On the other hand, I can't remember McCain ever having pressure put on him by journalists to "admit" he was wrong in his support of the Iraq War.

My questions are:

Why the inconsistency? Do journalists and interviewers really think that Obama not supporting the Surge was more important than McCain supporting the War in and Occupation of Iraq?

Does our news media think that their viewers care more one way or another?

Is McCain right in claiming that his judgment on the Surge makes him qualified to be CIC, while by implication saying that his decision to support the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq did not negatively effect those qualifications?

VAChief
07-27-2008, 05:45 PM
You are not alone in those sentiments.

I am glad things are apparently better in Iraq, but that doesn't mean we should have been there in the first place.

Friendo
07-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I would say incompetence by the media rather than any tilted coverage--seems they pick up on the first breeze blowing that day, and are incapable of contextural reporting.

HC_Chief
07-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I would say incompetence by the media rather than any tilted coverage--seems they pick up on the first breeze blowing that day, and are incapable of contextural reporting.

Nailed it

markk
07-27-2008, 06:26 PM
McCain has had reservations and been vocal about them from the start, as I recall. He wanted there to be many more boots over there. Obama has on the other hand tried to have it many different ways on Iraq according to what was popular at the moment.

If someone asked McCain, was the war a mistake he would say 'no, a lot of mistakes were made in the way it was prosecuted but no.' everyone knows that so there's no need to ask the question. Obama is confronted with more evidence every week that the surge was the turning point in the conflict and thus you'd think it would eventually become harder for him to deny that it was a good thing or that it was even successful. i think that is why the question keeps being asked.

People always are going to ask Tom Cruise about Scientology. They will also always ask Barack Obama why he still opposes the surge.

beer bacon
07-27-2008, 06:56 PM
McCain has had reservations and been vocal about them from the start, as I recall. He wanted there to be many more boots over there. Obama has on the other hand tried to have it many different ways on Iraq according to what was popular at the moment.

If someone asked McCain, was the war a mistake he would say 'no, a lot of mistakes were made in the way it was prosecuted but no.' everyone knows that so there's no need to ask the question. Obama is confronted with more evidence every week that the surge was the turning point in the conflict and thus you'd think it would eventually become harder for him to deny that it was a good thing or that it was even successful. i think that is why the question keeps being asked.

People always are going to ask Tom Cruise about Scientology. They will also always ask Barack Obama why he still opposes the surge.

BEFORE

McCain 9/29/02: “We’re not going to get into house-to-house fighting in Baghdad. We may have to take out buildings, but we’re not going to have a bloodletting of trading American bodies for Iraqi bodies.”

McCain 1/22/03: “But the point is that, one, we will win this conflict. We will win it easily.”
AFTER

McCain: 1/4/07: "When I voted to support this war, I knew it was probably going to be long and hard and tough, and those that voted for it and thought that somehow it was going to be some kind of an easy task, then I’m sorry they were mistaken. Maybe they didn’t know what they were voting for."

banyon
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
BEFORE

McCain 9/29/02: “We’re not going to get into house-to-house fighting in Baghdad. We may have to take out buildings, but we’re not going to have a bloodletting of trading American bodies for Iraqi bodies.”

McCain 1/22/03: “But the point is that, one, we will win this conflict. We will win it easily.”
AFTER

McCain: 1/4/07: "When I voted to support this war, I knew it was probably going to be long and hard and tough, and those that voted for it and thought that somehow it was going to be some kind of an easy task, then I’m sorry they were mistaken. Maybe they didn’t know what they were voting for."

It only counts when Obama does it.

Friendo
07-27-2008, 07:00 PM

did he want "more boots" in Afghanistan also? Seems BO has been making that case for quite some time too.

ClevelandBronco
07-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Why the inconsistency? Do journalists and interviewers really think that Obama not supporting the Surge was more important than McCain supporting the War in and Occupation of Iraq?

No.

Does our news media think that their viewers care more one way or another?

No.

Is McCain right in claiming that his judgment on the Surge makes him qualified to be CIC, while by implication saying that his decision to support the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq did not negatively effect those qualifications?

Yes.