PDA

View Full Version : Royals Yankees taking a hard look at Bannister as trade deadline nears

Nightfyre
07-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Yankees taking a hard look at Bannister as trade deadline nears

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

Should the Royals send pitcher Brian Bannister back to New York if offered outfielder Melky Cabrera or another run-production bat in return?

Such an offer might be forthcoming, because the Yankees appear determined to boost their rotation and are showing increased interest in Bannister as an alternative if ongoing efforts to acquire Seattle’s Jarrod Washburn reach an impasse.

Nothing appears imminent, but the framework for a deal seems to exist because New York has already shown a willingness to part with Cabrera. Add this: The Royals nearly obtained Cabrera in a trade-deadline swap two years ago for veteran outfielder Reggie Sanders before Sanders suffered an injury.

Royals general manager Dayton Moore, as usual, declined to comment on specific rumors but expressed hesitation at breaking up the club’s young rotation.

“We like the group of young pitchers that we have,” he said. “Although that group has struggled some this year, we’re encouraged that they’re going in the right direction. We want to keep this group together.”

The Yankees still appear to prefer Washburn, an 11-year veteran who is 4-9 with a 4.75 ERA in 20 games, but the Mariners rejected an offer of Cabrera and pitcher Kei Igawa. Seattle is thought to want a prospect, possibly minor-league outfielder Brett Gardner, in addition to the Yankees’ picking up the remaining $14 million-plus on Washburn’s contract through next season.

The Yankees, like several teams, previously contacted the Royals regarding pitcher Zack Greinke. One major-league source said New York had offered Cabrera and second baseman Robinson Cano in exchange for Greinke and a position player thought to be outfielder Mark Teahen.

Discussions fizzled when the Royals showed little willingness to trade Greinke.

Cabrera, 23, and Bannister, 27, are each experiencing disappointing seasons. Cabrera is batting just .248 with eight homers and 35 RBIs in 99 games, while Bannister is 7-9 with a 5.40 ERA in 21 starts.

Even so, both would address a pressing need.

Cabrera, a switch-hitter, could become the Royals’ regular center fielder and enable the club to shift David DeJesus to left. It could also allow Teahen to make a permanent move to first base.

Bannister could bolster a Yankees’ rotation weakened by the loss of Chien-Ming Wang, a 19-game winner the last two seasons. Wang isn’t expected to return from a foot injury until late September.

A Bannister-for-Cabrera deal would be a relative wash in financial terms. Cabrera is making $461,200, while Bannister is making $421,000. Both players are almost certain to qualify for arbitration in the offseason under the labor agreement’s super-two provision.

The non-waiver trading deadline is 3 p.m. Thursday. Players must clear waivers in order to be traded after the deadline.

The possibility for a deal escalated Friday night when New York filled two other immediate needs by acquiring outfielder Xavier Nady and reliever Damaso Marte from Pittsburgh for four minor-league players.

The Royals obtained Bannister from the Mets on Dec. 6, 2006, in a deal for reliever Ambiorix Burgos. Bannister opened last season in the minors but joined the Royals’ rotation in mid-May and finished 12-9 with a 3.87 ERA in 27 starts.

Cabrera did punch Longoria. Just saying :) Sorry if repost.

JASONSAUTO
07-27-2008, 02:49 PM
the royals were right in nixing the greinke/teahen for cabrera/cano

StcChief
07-27-2008, 02:50 PM
surprised the new/only real talent Soria isn't being shopped or requested :shrug:

Mecca
07-27-2008, 03:11 PM
the royals were right in nixing the greinke/teahen for cabrera/cano

Eh Cano is probably the best player in that deal....Teahen is pretty worthless.

JASONSAUTO
07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
do you watch many royals games mecca?

KevB
07-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Eh Cano is probably the best player in that deal....Teahen is pretty worthless.

Teahen and Cabrera are very similar players, leaving Cano vs. Greinke. Tough call there. Cano is proven, but he's been hitting for the last three years in a very good lineup. Greinke is just starting to come into his own, and front line pitchers are gold.

Mecca
07-27-2008, 03:17 PM
do you watch many royals games mecca?

Um Mark Teahen is a backup on a contending team, he should welcome playing alot of positions because it could keep him on a good teams roster as the utility backup, his stick certainly won't...

The guy is a light hitter that's that.

Mecca
07-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Teahen and Cabrera are very similar players, leaving Cano vs. Greinke. Tough call there. Cano is proven, but he's been hitting for the last three years in a very good lineup. Greinke is just starting to come into his own, and front line pitchers are gold.

You're probably right here for the most part......I think Cano will prove to be a little better player than Greinke, I don't see Greinke as a guy who will ever put it all together in his head and it will hold him back.

That said I'd trade Bannister in a second pitchers like him are a dime a dozen and never prove out to be good for the long haul.

DeezNutz
07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Bannister/Teahen for Cabrera/Cano...and then run like you've stolen something.

Question: Didn't Cano come up as a SS?

JASONSAUTO
07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
oh yeah bannister would be gone in a second but i believe that greinke will put it all together and be a dominant #1 soon. they got him to stop playing games this year and look how much better hes done

JASONSAUTO
07-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Bannister/Teahen for Cabrera/Cano...and then run like you've stolen something.

hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!1

Spicy McHaggis
07-27-2008, 03:32 PM
oh yeah bannister would be gone in a second but i believe that greinke will put it all together and be a dominant #1 soon. they got him to stop playing games this year and look how much better hes done

Greinke doesn't get "cute" with his stuff this year. The games I've seen it looks like he's not afraid to attack guys. Sometimes he'll still fall in love with the strikeout a bit too much in situations where pitching to contact would be better but the kid really seems to have got it turned around.

thurman merman
07-27-2008, 03:39 PM
melky cabrera's career stats per 162 games, according to ESPN:

.269 AVG, 10 HR, 66 RBI

i don't see how that would improve the royals offense?

JASONSAUTO
07-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Greinke doesn't get "cute" with his stuff this year. The games I've seen it looks like he's not afraid to attack guys. Sometimes he'll still fall in love with the strikeout a bit too much in situations where pitching to contact would be better but the kid really seems to have got it turned around.

thats what i meant about "playing games" cute

DeezNutz
07-27-2008, 03:42 PM

.269 AVG, 10 HR, 66 RBI

Does he play an above-average CF?

markk
07-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm not high on Bannister or Teahen, but I dont like those ideas. Cabrera and Teahen really are similar players other than defensive position. Cano for Bannister might be OK value but it certainly doesn't thrill me.

thurman merman
07-27-2008, 03:45 PM

i have no idea.

the royals need offense, though, so i don't really care. he's better than gathright, i guess.

DeezNutz
07-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm not high on Bannister or Teahen, but I dont like those ideas. Cabrera and Teahen really are similar players other than defensive position. Cano for Bannister might be OK value but it certainly doesn't thrill me.

That's a big "other."

Cano for Bannister would be a steal for the Royals, especially if Cano can play a better SS than Aviles. Move Mike over to 2B and the team is immediately better up the middle. I'm guessing this offer would get laughed off the table by NY, however.

i have no idea.

the royals need offense, though, so i don't really care. he's better than gathright, i guess.

My question was in earnest b/c I haven't seen enough of him. If he can be a gold glove type CF, those offensive numbers are more than acceptable. I'm not sure he has the necessary speed, though. His SB numbers aren't that great.

penchief
07-27-2008, 03:53 PM

.269 AVG, 10 HR, 66 RBI

He's still very young, a switch-hitter, and an outstanding defensive outfielder that can play all three outfield positions.

penchief
07-27-2008, 03:54 PM

He plays a great center field and has a right fielders arm. I think he led the American league in assists for an outfielder last year.

penchief
07-27-2008, 03:55 PM

I think the Yankees would be stupid to trade Cano. The guy is going to be a lifetime .300 hitter and he's smooth as silk at second.

DeezNutz
07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
He's still very young, a switch-hitter, and an outstanding defensive outfielder that can play all three outfield positions.

Good point about being a switch-hitter, but the Royals certainly don't need another light hitting corner outfielder; KC has a roster full of those.

JASONSAUTO
07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
teahen was right there in outfield assists last year i thought

DeezNutz
07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I think the Yankees would be stupid to trade Cano. The guy is going to be a lifetime .300 hitter and he's smooth as silk at second.

You sound like you've watched more Yankees. Didn't Cano come up as a SS?

markk
07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
That's a big "other."

Cano for Bannister would be a steal for the Royals, especially if Cano can play a better SS than Aviles. Move Mike over to 2B and the team is immediately better up the middle. I'm guessing this offer would get laughed off the table by NY, however.

I'm just thinking of Cano this year and how his batting average is down significantly. If he can play shortstop, might not be so bad. Obviously, next year with Grudz gone we're looking at TPJ, and Cano would be a phenomenal upgrade over that.

My question was in earnest b/c I haven't seen enough of him. If he can be a gold glove type CF, those offensive numbers are more than acceptable. I'm not sure he has the necessary speed, though. His SB numbers aren't that great.

The Yankees have been trying to deal him forever.

I also read before this season that his hitting coach left for another team, and he was someone who really got after Cabrera to keep working on his hitting. Supposedly he has a pretty poor work ethic if left to himself.

markk
07-27-2008, 04:00 PM

I dont remember that. He's never played a game at SS in the majors.

penchief
07-27-2008, 04:02 PM

I think he started out as one in the minors but he was switched to second base well before the Yankees brought him up.

Mecca
07-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Canos numbers will climb, if you go back and look he has always been a significantly better player in the 2nd half of the season.

DeezNutz
07-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I think he started out as one in the minors but he was switched to second base well before the Yankees brought him up.

This is what I was thinking. I believe it was the Jeter-effect. Same thing that happened to A-Rod.

No problems with that in KC. ROFL

thurman merman
07-27-2008, 04:24 PM

yeah, but i'd rather have a fairly young average starting pitcher (bannister) than a young, average offensive and good defensive outfielder.

tk13
07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Tough call on this one. I would consider trading Bannister, and a lot of people expected him to drop off a bit this year. The thing is, I'm not sure if this is the real Bannister, or if he's having a sophomore slump. He's a smart pitcher, and will make adjustments. Despite his worse numbers, his strikeouts are up. So it's not all bad. And it wouldn't be unheard of for him to have a nice bounce back year in his 3rd year. That's pretty common. And if he does bounce back to become that solid 4-5 pitcher... those are $10 million/year guys in today's baseball world.

Trading Greinke for anybody on this list is a joke. He'd be a 20 game winner with the Yankees offense.

Valiant
07-27-2008, 04:48 PM

.269 AVG, 10 HR, 66 RBI

Who was the poster on there that said outfielders need to hit 300+ with tons of hrs and rbi's or they were garbage?? Oh and there were tons of them in the league and the royals just suck for not having one??

markk
07-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Who was the poster on there that said outfielders need to hit 300+ with tons of hrs and rbi's or they were garbage?? Oh and there were tons of them in the league and the royals just suck for not having one??

plenty of teams win titles with .280/30 guys

BigRock
07-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Trading Greinke for anybody on this list is a joke. He'd be a 20 game winner with the Yankees offense.

I'd put more money on Greinke cracking under the pressure of playing in NY and ending up in a straightjacket somewhere, sobbing while he sucks his thumb in the fetal position.

petegz28
07-27-2008, 06:25 PM
surprised the new/only real talent Soria isn't being shopped or requested :shrug:

We jsut signed him to an extension. He is the best closer in baseball. Why trade him?

petegz28
07-27-2008, 06:26 PM
I'd trade Bannister but nor for Cabrerra I do not think. Not even up anyway.

Sure-Oz
07-27-2008, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't trade him for just Cabrera...

Not sure what else they have, but it makes me wonder if cabrera is just another overrated yanks prospect, his #'s blow this year....i also love the career .391 slugging

Nightfyre
07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
For the most part, I agree that Cabrera as a fixed commodity by the numbers would be a bad trade. However, given that he is 23 and I haven't watched him at all or enough to make an estimation on his potential, I can't speak to it. So where does his potential cap out?

markk
07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
The more I think about this, the more it's not that bad.

I don't really assign a lot of value to Teahen.. it's not that I think he's worthless, I just don't think he's an everyday player in the majors, and if we bring in an outfielder Teahen's playing time is going to go down anyway. It might be doing both us and him a favor to send him on another direction.

Cabrera needs to be coached, it sounds like. We dont have a history of developing hitters which is the scary part. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

we almost were going to pay a lot of money to Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter to play center, and we know how they have done this year. We could be in worse shape.

Cano would be a long term solution at 2B. Royals need one of those.

Bannister's upside I think is a 4 or a 5... Teahen I dont think has a lot of upside left. So if you can turn a 5 starter into 2 everyday starters that might not be a bad deal.

ChiefsCountry
07-27-2008, 08:14 PM
If the Royals are looking at Yankees players I would try to get Austin Jackson or Jesus Montero.

Deberg_1990
07-27-2008, 08:30 PM
God, how would that feel like as a player going from the Yankees to the Royals??

"I feel like im back in triple AAA again....."

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Cano is better than any other position player currently on the Royals major league roster. Bannister is barely above replacement level, and Teahen is a banjo hitter.

There's no way the Yankees would ever make that trade.

petegz28
07-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Cano is better than any other position player currently on the Royals major league roster. Bannister is barely above replacement level, and Teahen is a banjo hitter.

There's no way the Yankees would ever make that trade.

I'd trade Bannister and Teahen for Canoe and then possible work a trade for Grudz with someone. As much as I hate to do that but Grudz is at the end of his road.

Grienke better be a Royal for a long time to come.

Mecca
07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I'd trade Bannister and Teahen for Canoe and then possible work a trade for Grudz with someone. As much as I hate to do that but Grudz is at the end of his road.

Grienke better be a Royal for a long time to come.

The Yankees would honestly probably laugh if you offered those 2 for Cano.

DeezNutz
07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
The original trade, as stated in the article, was Cano and Cabrera for Grienke (Teahen hardly counts because he's not even able to get on the field presently with the Royals).

I'm going to probably be in the minority here, but, if the baseball folks see a high upside with Cabrera, I'd do it. I don't have confidence that Grienke will ever be an ace. He's a 2-3 on most teams now, and this level of production *should* be replaceable if the organization's scouting and player development are worth a shit.

Cano can play. I agree with Hamas on this, and talented middle infielders who can hit are hard to acquire. Plus, one cannot understate the importance of solidifying the middle of the diamond through one trade.

Nightfyre
07-27-2008, 10:30 PM
The original trade, as stated in the article, was Cano and Cabrera for Grienke (Teahen hardly counts because he's not even able to get on the field presently with the Royals).

I'm going to probably be in the minority here, but, if the baseball folks see a high upside with Cabrera, I'd do it. I don't have confidence that Grienke will ever be an ace. He's a 2-3 on most teams now, and this level of production *should* be replaceable if the organization's scouting and player development are worth a shit.

Cano can play. I agree with Hamas on this.

I tend to think Grienke will never actually get his shit in a pile. Even if he does get it in the next couple years that really only gives him a few years left of usability as a fastball pitcher (although some pitchers have an uncanny ability to play into old age; I estimate this to be the extreme minority, however.

Also interesting read on Greinke :)
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/anatomy-of-a-player-zach-greinke/

markk
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Jayson Stark said that Atlanta has inquired about Jose Guillen but the asking price, whatever it was, is currently too high.

Ari Chi3fs
07-27-2008, 11:02 PM

That was a great read. thanks man

Nightfyre
07-27-2008, 11:05 PM
That was a great read. thanks man

It certainly made me second guess my own observational "conclusions" :)

SithCeNtZ
07-27-2008, 11:44 PM
The Royals should never trade Greinke for Cano. It's a deal that makes no sense for the Royals regardless of if you think Greinke is going to be an ace or not. If you believe that he won't be an ace, then you HAVE to deal him for multiple prospects, not established guys like Cano. Think about it. If the Royals trade for Cano, how much closer are they to the playoffs? You just cover up one hole and open another hole just as big. Cano is a good player, sure, but even if he hits .330, he doesn't have much power and can never be a 3/4/5 hitter. The Royals problems would therefore still be the same. We would still need power guys in the middle of the lineup and we would also have a big hole in the rotation. Nothing gets solved by adding Cano, but if we trade Greinke for multiple prospects, then it makes sense. We can fill multiple holes and have a chance at coming out a much better team than we were before.

Jayhawkerman2001
07-28-2008, 12:47 AM
if they only requested Cabrera for Bannister they are making a hell of a mistake. Decent young pitchers(yah i know he's 27, but thats still fairly young) are much more cherished than utility players like cabrera... I'd definitely ask for more than that, because they can. If he doesn't get traded its ok, because we get to keep a young decent pitchers

Jayhawkerman2001
07-28-2008, 12:50 AM
I tend to think Grienke will never actually get his shit in a pile. Even if he does get it in the next couple years that really only gives him a few years left of usability as a fastball pitcher (although some pitchers have an uncanny ability to play into old age; I estimate this to be the extreme minority, however.

um... zack is only like 24 or 25? trust me, he definitely has much more time than only a couple years left

Demonpenz
07-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Grienke and hochaver are the same age.

eazyb81
07-28-2008, 08:26 AM
We only control Greinke for two years after this season, so it doesn't really matter how old he is because he will be gone. There hasn't been a peep about extending him, so I take it that he currently is not interested in resigning here. If that's the case, we better trade him and get the best return possible, but hopefully that return is more than just Robinson Cano and Melky Cabrera.

eazyb81
07-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Also, I think many on this thread are WAY overrating Bannister. He had a nice season last year but he has poor stuff and it was bound to catch up with him. I would have no problem dumping him for something useful.

bkkcoh
07-28-2008, 08:29 AM
um... zack is only like 24 or 25? trust me, he definitely has much more time than only a couple years left

as a Royal?

MVChiefFan
07-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Ok, ok. Bannister/Teahen/Grudz for Cabrera/Cano.

penguinz
07-28-2008, 08:42 AM
We only control Greinke for two years after this season, so it doesn't really matter how old he is because he will be gone. There hasn't been a peep about extending him, so I take it that he currently is not interested in resigning here. If that's the case, we better trade him and get the best return possible, but hopefully that return is more than just Robinson Cano and Melky Cabrera.It is not that Zack is not interested...the royals have not offered.

markk
07-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Also, I think many on this thread are WAY overrating Bannister. He had a nice season last year but he has poor stuff and it was bound to catch up with him. I would have no problem dumping him for something useful.

he works hard and probably will have a decent career as a back of the rotation guy, but he's not a fabulous pitcher. a lot of people thought he would regress this year. i dont think he's regressed much, but he hasn't looked lately like the bannister at his peak last season.

i like bannister and i hope we hold onto him somehow, but baseball is a business.

eazyb81
07-28-2008, 08:45 AM
It is not that Zack is not interested...the royals have not offered.

That's pure speculation. For all we know, DM has made overtures to Zack's agent and has been rebuffed.

penguinz
07-28-2008, 08:49 AM
That's pure speculation. For all we know, DM has made overtures to Zack's agent and has been rebuffed.I heard Dayton on the radio a few weeks back and he said they will make a decision after the season and they have not offered at this time.

eazyb81
07-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I heard Dayton on the radio a few weeks back and he said they will make a decision after the season and they have not offered at this time.

And again, for all we know he has made overtures to his agent - it would be insane to not even test the waters to see if they're open to extending.

Given Greinke's comments when Soria signed a new contract and gave up a couple FA years, I'm not holding my breath that Zack will do the same.

Silock
07-28-2008, 09:41 AM
You keep Bannister. Definitely.

Demonpenz
07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I like banny but I will trust that Moore knows a hell of alot more about it than I do

Dartgod
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Given Greinke's comments when Soria signed a new contract and gave up a couple FA years, I'm not holding my breath that Zack will do the same.
What did he say?

Nightfyre
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
And again, for all we know he has made overtures to his agent - it would be insane to not even test the waters to see if they're open to extending.

I imagine we will see something after the deadline if Greinke is not traded. Thats the only reason I can see to wait.

eazyb81
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
What did he say?

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said Soria was crazy for giving up any of his FA years and not testing the FA market as early as possible.

BigRock
07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
That's pure speculation. For all we know, DM has made overtures to Zack's agent and has been rebuffed.

Greinke was quoted directly in the Star a month or so back as saying he hadn't heard a thing from the team about a new contract.

penchief
07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
If the Royals are looking at Yankees players I would try to get Austin Jackson or Jesus Montero.

I don't think Austin Jackson is going anywhere. He's the reason they didn't hesitate to part with Tabata.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Brian Bannister is not a good pitcher, period. He's regressing back to the mean. You'd be lucky to get a couple of A ball prospects out of him.