PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Iowans attempt to arrest Karl Rove

banyon
07-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Iowa City woman, others arrested for attempting citizen's arrest of Rove
The Gazette

DES MOINES - Police here arrested four Iowans Friday after they attempted a citizen's arrest of former White House adviser Karl Rove, who was in Des Moines to speak at a fundraiser.

Retired Methodist minister Rev. Chet Guinn, 80, and three Des Moines Catholic Workers, Edward Bloomer, 61, Kirk Brown, 25 and Mona Shaw, 57, who lives in Iowa City, were cited for trespassing and released, according to a news release.

Citing the Iowa Code, which allows citizen's arrests, the four accused Rove of election fraud; conspiracy to commit offense or to defraud the United States in the time before the Iraq war; and treason, sedition and subversive activities for fraudulent acts leading to the deaths of 300,000 Iraqi civilians and 4,000 U.S. Military personnel, according to their arrest complaint.

Brown and Shaw attempted a similar arrest last March when Rove spoke at the University of Iowa. They were arrested and released without charges.

http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080726/NEWS/345314465/-1/rss15&rssfeed=rss15

banyon
07-27-2008, 09:19 PM
CBS: (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/27/national/main4297842.shtml)

(AP) Des Moines police arrested four people Friday who attempted a citizen's arrest of former White House adviser Karl Rove.

Rove was in Des Moines to speak at a fundraiser.

A news release says a retired minister and three members of the Des Moines Catholic Workers community were cited for trespassing and released.

The four accused Rove of election fraud and conspiracy to commit offense or to defraud the United States in the time before the Iraq war.

The arrest complaint also says they accused Rove of treason, sedition and subversive activities for fraudulent acts leading to the deaths of 300,000 Iraqi civilians and 4,000 U.S. Military personnel.

Kirk Brown and Mona Shaw, two of the four arrested Friday, attempted a similar arrest last March when Rove spoke at the University of Iowa.

Activists charged with trespassing after attempt to arrest Karl Rove
RAW STORY (http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Activists_charged_with_trespassing_after_attempt_0726.html)
Published: Saturday July 26, 2008

Four peace activists were arrested on Friday as they attempted to make a "citizens arrest" of Karl Rove, Reuters reported.

Protesters let police know of their intentions to arrest Rove while he was in Des Moines for a private fundraiser for the Republican Party of Iowa. Police arrested the protesters after they stepped through the gate at the entrance of the private club where Rove was speaking.

"It should be Karl Rove in that van. War criminal!" one demonstrator shouted as police rounded up the four men.

Chet Guinn, a retired Methodist Minister, was among those led away.

"To be silent when major crimes are being committed against all humanity makes us accomplices," Gwinn said.

The other three activists were Des Moines Catholic Workers, Edward Bloomer, 61, Kirk Brown, 25, and Mona Shaw, 57. All four were cited for trespassing and released, according to IowaPolitics.com.

Shortly before police intercepted their march towards Rove, they cited Iowa code provisions for making citizens arrests and the federal statutes they claimed Rove had broken.

All four maintained that Iowa Code obligated them to make an arrest if they believed a felony had been committed and turn Rove over to police so he could be brought to a judge for formal indictment.

Brown and Shaw made a similar attempt to arrest Rove when he spoke at the University of Iowa in March. They were arrested and released without charges.

About 12 activists showed up to protest, Radio Iowa reported, including Daniella Bermeo of Ecuador.

"Karl Rove is a war criminal and war criminals cannot just be running around like that, like they haven't done anything," Bermeo said. "I'm supporting the cause and supporting the people that he's committed war crimes against."

Reporters were not allowed to hear Rove speak in the club, where Republicans paid either $100 to see him speak during lunch or $1,000 to meet him and have their picture taken with him at a separate reception, according to Radio Iowa.

Recently, Karl Rove has refused demands from congressional Democrats to testify about allegations of political pressure at the Justice Department and his alleged role in the prosecution of a former governor of Alabama.

Rove flaunted his absence from hearings he called a "circus" on The O'Reilly Factor last week.

Pitt Gorilla
07-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Gotta love the Iowa City libs...A minister and Catholic workers are libs? The Cons must be losing their pull.

banyon
07-27-2008, 09:43 PM
70% of Iowa City is liberal.... its disgusting.

Yeah, that's better than Kansas:

http://images.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/elections2004/_images/2004countymap-final2.gif

VAChief
07-28-2008, 05:47 AM

Disgusting? Your hyperbole meter is off a little.

VAChief
07-28-2008, 05:50 AM
CBS: (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/27/national/main4297842.shtml)

Reporters were not allowed to hear Rove speak in the club, where Republicans paid either $100 to see him speak during lunch or $1,000 to meet him and have their picture taken with him at a separate reception, according to Radio Iowa.

$1000 just to meet a talking "turd blossom?"

StcChief
07-28-2008, 06:08 AM

http://images.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/elections2004/_images/2004countymap-final2.gif
the real America in red. amazing huh libs.

Bowser
07-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Alaska must not count.

Radar Chief
07-28-2008, 07:11 AM

I’m not sure how far I believe that map. There should be another blue speck in the sea of red for Lawrence. ;)
I’ll bet you’re missing that place right about now.

banyon
07-28-2008, 08:10 AM
I’m not sure how far I believe that map. There should be another blue speck in the sea of red for Lawrence. ;)
I’ll bet you’re missing that place right about now.

It's there look again.

This is the official county map from USA TODAY for 2004.

banyon
07-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Sure, if the real America is "places other than where most people live". ;)

Try comparing that map with this one of population density and see what happens. :)

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/rareplants/images/USA-2000-population-density_lg.gif

Chief Henry
07-28-2008, 08:17 AM

I would have guessed higher :spock:

BigChiefFan
07-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Rove is the architect behind Bush's plans, so I find it great that these "liberals"(Sure they are)actually realize how badly our country has been hijacked by these incompetent stooges and took action.

Dave Lane
07-28-2008, 10:50 AM

You can see all the educated parts of the country highlighted in blue. Kinda sad its not everywhere.

Dave

HC_Chief
07-28-2008, 11:04 AM
I just love it when these nutty "concerned citizens" try to pull this crap. I think it's hilarious. :D

Mr. Laz
07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
a bullet to his brain would of been more effective

penchief
07-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Yeah, liberals are disgusting. It's enough to wanna' make someone take a gun and shoot a few.

Better yet, why not blow up an entire federal building? That'll show em.

Ari Chi3fs
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I knew that Iowanian had some big baows.

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, liberals are disgusting. It's enough to wanna' make someone take a gun and shoot a few.

ROFL I was thinking about that when I was watching the news this morning. Dude goes and shoots up a church because they lean liberal???? And liberals are the disgusting ones??? OOOHHHK.....

markk
07-28-2008, 11:44 AM
ROFL I was thinking about that when I was watching the news this morning. Dude goes and shoots up a church because they lean liberal???? And liberals are the disgusting ones??? OOOHHHK.....

it was a unitarian church... it's not even really a church. it's more like a social club.

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 11:58 AM
it was a unitarian church... it's not even really a church. it's more like a social club.

So that makes it ok to shoot people while they are, or at least they think they are, worshipping their lord?

markk
07-28-2008, 12:08 PM
is it really necessary for someone to have to say they think that what the guy did was wrong?

is it so lowest-common-denominator here that people just make you state for the record that you think killing people for their political beliefs is wrong?

i know somebody said they wished for it over in the Karl Rove thread, but really. i would hope that we could at least operate above that level.

***SPRAYER
07-28-2008, 12:11 PM
a bullet to his brain would of been more effective

ROFL

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
i didn't say that. I was just commenting on 'unitarian church' being somewhat contradictory.

Well I was commenting on how amusing it is that "liberals" are accused of being disgusting, yet, here's a self-proclaimed "conservative" going into a church and shooting people because they are "different" than him. I find that more disgusting, especially becasue it is a place of worship. It's not like it was a gay-bath house (although that wouldn't be right either). And while you may think it s a social club, the place calls itself a church. Plus, I dont see why the fact that it calls itself "Unitarian" is contradictory. they are a "United" group of people worshipping their God.

What is contradictory is people killing each other in the name of God.

***SPRAYER
07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Well I was commenting on how amusing it is that "liberals" are accused of being disgusting, yet, here's a self-proclaimed "conservative" going into a church and shooting people because they are "different" than him. I find that more disgusting, especially becasue it is a place of worship. It's not like it was a gay-bath house (although that wouldn't be right either). And while you may think it s a social club, the place calls itself a church. Plus, I dont see why the fact that it calls itself "Unitarian" is contradictory. they are a "United" group of people worshipping their God.

I don't think he shot them because he was a conservative, I think he shot them because he was crazy.

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't think he shot them because he was a conservative, I think he shot them because he was crazy.

Point taken, but he said that he shot them becasue they were liberals and gays.

markk
07-28-2008, 12:25 PM

the guy was a nut. it's not like he was acting on behalf of some religion or religious denomination. well not in this part of the world anyway.

HC_Chief
07-28-2008, 12:25 PM

Again, dude is crazy.

Radar Chief
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM

Being “liberal”, I’m surprised you didn’t blame it on the gun. :Poke:

HC_Chief
07-28-2008, 12:29 PM

In a roundabout way. Conservative in IA.... bitterly clinging to his gun and religion...

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Not all Liberals are against guns. Thats a serious misconception and "paranoia" by the right.

Again, I know the dude was nuts, thats obvious. I'm commenting on the fact that Jake called "liberals" disgusting, while this dude, in the name of conservatives and religion, was shooting people at a place of worship. That is disgusting.

Radar Chief
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Not all Liberals are against guns. Thats a serious misconception and "paranoia" by the right.

Again, I know the dude was nuts, thats obvious. I'm commenting on the fact that Jake called "liberals" disgusting, while this dude, in the name of conservatives and religion, was shooting people at a place of worship. That is disgusting.

Is it also “paranoia by the right” that “liberals” don’t know how to take a joke?

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Is it also “paranoia by the right” that “liberals” don’t know how to take a joke?

Oh, I understood you were joking, just aimed at the wrong girl. I dont have issues with guns, so it fell flat my friend.

penchief
07-28-2008, 12:43 PM

I'll agree with that. But there sure are a lot of bat crazy conservatives out there that like spewing hatred and intolerance of liberals. This guy probably doesn't even know what a liberal is. He probably just knows that they're awful people because Rush, Sean, and BillO told him so.

HC_Chief
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I'll agree with that. But there sure are a lot of bat crazy conservatives out there that like spewing hatred and intolerance of liberals. This guy probably doesn't even know what a liberal is. He probably just knows that they're awful people because Rush, Sean, and BillO told him so.

Damn corporate media.

penchief
07-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Damn corporate media.

Damn straight.

HC_Chief
07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Damn straight.

:thumb:

markk
07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
By J.J. Stambaugh
Originally published 07:20 p.m., July 27, 2008
Updated 07:20 p.m., July 27, 2008

The man accused of a mass church shooting this morning was described by his Powell neighbors as a helpful and kind man, but one who had issues with Christianity.

Jim D. Adkisson, 58, has been charged with first-degree murder in the shooting at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, which killed one and injured eight others.

He is being held on $1 million bond.

"He had his own sense of belief about religion, that's the impression I got of him," said neighbor Karen Massey. "We were talking one day when my daughter graduated from Bible college, and I told him I was a Christian, then he almost turned angry.

"He seemed to get angry at that."

According to Massey, Adkisson talked frequently about his parents who "made him go to church all his life ... he was forced to do that."