PDA

View Full Version : Elections Here's another for the rumor mill: McCain to name VP Monday?

Direckshun
07-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Give The Atlantic's Marc Ambinder credit if he gets this one right (http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/07/veepstakes_rumor_du_jour.php).

Of course, Ambinder does everything he can in the post to discount its importance, lest he get it wrong. Talk about having it both ways. Nonetheless, here it is:

Veepstakes Rumor Du Jour
25 Jul 2008 10:36 pm

I don't usually use the blog to pass along rumors, but this one is relatively harmless and it is making the rounds of the highest levels of both presidential campaigns.

On Sunday, McCain hosts a group of political allies and major fundraisers at his ranch in Sedona, AZ. That's a fact. The rumor is that he's going to use the event to introduce his vice presidential choice to his inner circle, and then, on Monday, introduce the choice to the world.

If this rumor were on the market, I wouldn't buy too many shares.

For one thing, the McCain donor maintenance event has been scheduled for weeks. For another, VP choices aren't usually announced to donors before they're announced generally. Announcing his choice on Monday would seem very reactive, and if McCain wants to wait for a lull in the news cycle, he ought to hold out for just another week or so; Obama plans to take a short vacation abutting the Olympics.

Direckshun
07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I declare www.electoral-vote.com to be the website of the election season:

Of the names bandied about so far, here is a brief rundown of what is wrong with each one (the good points will be highlighted by every other news source in glowing detail, fear not). (The Democratic possibilities also have downsides, but that is for another time.)

Veep Candidate Job Downside
Charlie Crist Gov. of Florida Can he make decisions? (He is now engaged for the fifth time)
Carly Forinia ex HP CEO Nearly ran HP into the ground, fired by the board, given $40 million severance pay
Bobby Jindal Gov. of Louisiana Performs amateur exorcisms; late-night comics would go wild
Mike Huckabee ex Gov. of Arkansas McCain thinks he's crazy
Kay Hutchison Sen. from. Texas Might not play well with working-class men
Sarah Palin Gov. of Alaska Under investigation for possibly breaking the law trying to fire her brother in law
Tim Pawlenty Gov. of Minnesota Unknown nationally and Dems will win Minnesota even with him on the ticket
Rob Portman ex OMB Director Like the economy? Good. Hire Bush's budget director for a repeat performance
Tom Ridge ex Gov. of Pennsylvania Pro choice, which will infuriate the Base
Mitt Romney ex Gov. of Mass. Flip-flops are all over You Tube; antiMormon bigotry is widespread in the South
Mark Sanford Gov. of South Carolina Unknown outside his state
John Thune Sen. from South Dakota Only three years in the Senate and unknown outside his state

Direckshun
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
1. Romney- Michigan, Western States, $$, Fighter, Economy
2. Ridge- Could deliver, Penn, Ohio, Virginia
3. Pawlenty- Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa look pretty blue... but he may help
4. Rudy!- God's greatest gift to earth... enough said.

McCain has got to do something big before the olympics... last week was a joke.
You see the problem with each one of those, right?

Romney's a pure attack dog, nothing else. He is not Presidential, the base never really warmed up to him, and independents hate him.

Ridge is an endorsement of Bush, pure and simple. While I don't think that's a deathknell if there's enough upside, there's no upside with Ridge. The man has no charisma and he's pro-choice.

Pawlenty is a viable option but he's unknown and fairly dry. He will not help McCain too much, he won't deliver a single state, and he's going to be targeted as being super conservative.

And Rudy is a joke.

HolmeZz
07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
McCain said he won't name a pro-choice running mate, which would eliminate your picks of Ridge and Rudy(and in reality, Romney as well).

Unless McCain changes his mind on that stance again.

Direckshun
07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
There will be a problem with whoever he picks... so the question is who can help him the most.
I still contend that he'd get the biggest boost from Huckabee or Rice.

jAZ
07-27-2008, 10:13 PM
I thought this happened last week [/snark] :p

My comment then was that it would be Romney but not while Obama was on his tour.

I thought I was 1/2 right when jake posted his thread. Now I think I'm at least 1/2 right that it won't be last week.

I guarantee it's between now and Aug 8th. Likely next week. And I still say it's Romney.