PDA

View Full Version : Elections Well, Obama and McCain have essentially converged on Iraq.

Direckshun
07-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Don't worry about who's flipping or flopping the most. They've both compromised their position a shitload.

McCain was on CNN the past couple days saying that he was essentially open-minded to a 16-month withdrawal "if conditions on the ground supported it."

Obama supporters, don't break out your celebratory blog posts just yet, because Obama's been on record in the general election about extending the 16-month withdrawal "if conditions on the ground warranted it."

So here we are, both candidates essentially at the same spot but for some reason pretending they're not.

Not that I don't already know what many of you are going to say, but how does this shift the debate? I think it does in significant ways, but that'll come out as I respond to you folks.

Ultra Peanut
07-27-2008, 10:46 PM
That's honestly why I don't see any reason other than pride for McCain to keep harping on "Surge this, Surge that."

SNR
07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
We'll see what they both say when they both square off in debate

Guru
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Status Quo as usual.

mlyonsd
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Don't worry about who's flipping or flopping the most. They've both compromised their position a shitload.

McCain was on CNN the past couple days saying that he was essentially open-minded to a 16-month withdrawal "if conditions on the ground supported it."

Obama supporters, don't break out your celebratory blog posts just yet, because Obama's been on record in the general election about extending the 16-month withdrawal "if conditions on the ground warranted it."

So here we are, both candidates essentially at the same spot but for some reason pretending they're not.

Not that I don't already know what many of you are going to say, but how does this shift the debate? I think it does in significant ways, but that'll come out as I respond to you folks.

This is absolutely correct. It's ridiculous to think Obama will pull out all the troops in 16 months if commanders and the Iraqi's still think there is a need for them.

And it's just as ridiculous to think McCain would try and overstep Iraqi authority by keeping troops there when the Iraqi's want them gone.

So yes, I'd say their positions have converged.

I think the entire debate now is centered on judgment. My own .02, Obama is going to have to come up with a different argument than just the fact he opposed the war in the first place. It's painful to watch him try and explain why he would still not support the surge. Especially since he wants to surge troops in Afghanistan.

McCain on the other hand needs to come up with some guidelines as to when he'd want troops withdrawn. Make it clear to the public he doesn't want to stay 100 years even though some morons still think that's what he meant.

noa
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I think a lot of us knew this would happen. For as long as we've been talking about the Iraq war, we've been talking about how no matter who is President, the U.S. is going to be there a LOOOOONG time.
The candidates will have different plans, but neither will change that inevitable fact. So, the end result will probably be the same no matter who you elect. Both are going to try to withdraw troops when it is feasible (Obama left himself enough wiggle room for that), but neither will withdraw all the troops.

Bowser
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
We're going to be three or four presidents down the road before the US is no longer in Iraq.

Direckshun
07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
We're going to be three or four presidents down the road before the US is no longer in Iraq.
The US, sadly, will now forever be in Iraq (http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2006-04-19-us-embassy_x.htm).

Radar Chief
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I noticed a while back that there isnít much difference between Gramps McAmnesty and Barry Hussein. Itís my opinion thatís why the mud slinging has started so early, thatís the quickest way to create some distance between each other and give the bloggerís something to gnash their teeth over.

The US, sadly, will now forever be in Iraq (http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2006-04-19-us-embassy_x.htm).

Baghdad is the new Berlin.

Bowser
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM

What a f*cking joke. That money would have made quite the dent in our problems in Afghanistan and abroad, imnsho.