PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Clark Hunt visible presence at camp

DeezNutz
07-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Chiefs’ Clark Hunt is visible presence at training camp
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt talked with fans after the team held its workout on Sunday in River Falls, Wis.
RIVER FALLS, Wis. | He never actually entered a huddle, never suggested a play to Chan Gailey or called a defense for Gunther Cunningham.

But Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt spent a good portion of training camp’s first three days watching practice. Not just from the sideline, but at times from the field. He might have had more practice-field time than any NFL owner but Dallas’ Jerry Jones, who is also the Cowboys’ general manager.

Hunt’s field time was spent mostly in quiet, solitary observation. Still, it was yet another sign that Hunt is more than just a caretaker.

“I want the football team and the coaching staff and the organization to know that our family’s passion for the Chiefs did not pass away when my father left us,” he said. “I also want them to know the expectations for our excellence start with our family. From a leadership standpoint, that’s important for the entire organization.

“I’m not spending any more time on football issues than I did last year. I am more visible publicly and to the team. It’s a byproduct of my desire to be more involved.”

Hunt planned to leave Wisconsin before this morning’s practice. He won’t return this summer and will rejoin the Chiefs in Chicago for their Aug. 7 preseason opener against the Bears.

His involvement is far from finished. In an extraordinary round of media interviews last winter, Hunt eloquently laid out a different path for the Chiefs, one built around the draft and young players.

That vision is coming to life, even if the product is far from finished and the desired results not guaranteed. The Chiefs may start as many as four rookies against the Bears, with several others playing significant roles.

“It has a very different feel than any Chiefs camp I remember because there are so many young players here,” said Hunt, who assumed control of the franchise in December 2006 with the death of his father, Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt.

“It’s exciting. A lot of those young players are going to play significant roles for us. A lot of them will start and others will play a lot of snaps.”

Hunt said he hasn’t altered his expectation for this season, which he also laid out last winter. He expects the Chiefs to be more competitive and better on offense, their many young players to develop and prospects for 2009 to be bright.

“The stage for those expectations is set,” he said. “I can’t wait for the games to get here. The Chicago game won’t arrive too soon.

“Obviously, we’re not going into the season as a favored Super Bowl contender. We’re doing the right things to put together a team that a year or two out, that expectation would not be unrealistic.”

In the meantime, plenty of work remains, and not just on the field. The Chiefs are working to sell tickets, though Hunt declined to say exactly where season-ticket sales stand.

“I’ll hold off on doing that until we get to the season because we’re still selling,” Hunt said. “They’re down a little bit from last year, which I think is potentially a phenomenon you’ll see across the league because of the weak economy.”

Any Arrowhead Stadium game that doesn’t sell out is subject to a local television blackout. That possibility looms. The Chiefs haven’t had a game blacked out in Kansas City since 1990.

“I hope not, but it’s something we’ll watch closely,” Hunt said. “To some degree, I think it depends on how the team starts. If we get off to a decent start, I would think we’d have a chance to avoid blackouts. If we don’t, it might be a reality later in the season.”

His attendance at practice might not help sell tickets, but it does help Hunt get a better feel for what type of team the Chiefs might be. Most of the time, he’ll watch from the sideline, but he occasionally moves between the lines to get a better view.

“You can watch the quarterbacks, running backs and receivers standing on the sideline,” he said. “I have no idea what’s happening with the line play standing on the sideline. I have to be behind the play. It was a good chance to watch Glenn Dorsey and also Branden Albert work against Tamba Hali. That way, I could see whether those draft picks we made were well-spent.

“I think they will be.”

HemiEd
07-28-2008, 12:08 AM
This is great news.

ChiefsCountry
07-28-2008, 12:12 AM
I figured he would get more involved in year two. You kind of need a year to mourn and let the things of your dad get through before putting your stamp on things.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Wow blackouts?

nice.

DaneMcCloud
07-28-2008, 12:14 AM
I just wish he was staying for the entirety of camp.

Regardless, this is a good sign.

FAX
07-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Good for Clarkie. My hope is that one of the reasons he does this is to make Carl feel uncomfortable.

Regardless of the enterprise, it's important to have an owner who's involved. I honestly believe that, for whatever reason, Lamar put far too much faith and trust in Carl. The importance of the relationship trumped demands for results. I pray to the saints and all the Chiefs fans who have gone before us that Clarkie doesn't feel that way.

FAX

Tribal Warfare
07-28-2008, 12:55 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/723005.html

Fish
07-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Clark looks like a dweeb... but he's doing the right things so far.....

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2008, 01:44 AM
let me get this straight. if arrowhead is not sold out, then the chiefs could be blacked out in the KC area? what team is gonna get more viewers, and why does the stadium being sold out determine the blackout?

BigRock
07-28-2008, 02:04 AM
let me get this straight. if arrowhead is not sold out, then the chiefs could be blacked out in the KC area? what team is gonna get more viewers, and why does the stadium being sold out determine the blackout?

If there's still tickets for sale, they take the game off TV in the local market so that people have to go buy tickets to watch.

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2008, 02:07 AM
If there's still tickets for sale, they take the game off TV in the local market so that people have to go buy tickets to watch.

thats f'd up. who agreed to that rule. should i hate carl for that?

mikey23545
07-28-2008, 02:22 AM
For crying out loud, that's an NFL rule and applies to all teams...It doesn't have anything to do with Carl Peterson.

big nasty kcnut
07-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Ramble yes everything that bad blame carl.

cdcox
07-28-2008, 02:29 AM
That rule has been in place since games began to be televised. When the league first started discussions about televising games, the owners were concerned that TV would hurt ticket sales. Thus the rule was put in place and it has been that way ever since.

JuicesFlowing
07-28-2008, 02:49 AM

And most of the time companies, t.v. stations, etc. will purchase the remaining tix to avoid a blackout ...

CupidStunt
07-28-2008, 05:27 AM
“Obviously, we’re not going into the season as a favored Super Bowl contender. We’re doing the right things to put together a team that a year or two out, that expectation would not be unrealistic.”

I can't ask for any more than that.

StcChief
07-28-2008, 06:43 AM
at this point Clark's involvement from $$$ for players to watching his product develop shows he will be hands on.

dave0320
07-28-2008, 07:06 AM
And most of the time companies, t.v. stations, etc. will purchase the remaining tix to avoid a blackout ...

Not true, most Faiders games are blacked out.

Rausch
07-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Not true, most Faiders games are blacked out.

I think I remember Bill Gates buying a ****load of tickets one year to prevent a Faider blackout...

BigChiefFan
07-28-2008, 08:10 AM
I can't ask for any more than that. I agree with what Clark is saying, however he's changed his tune quite a bit. Originally he stated we should compete for the playoffs THIS year. I know he mentioned the Super Bowl in his latest quote, but it's seems he's already waffeling.

Chief Henry
07-28-2008, 09:25 AM
This is great news.

yes it is

Deberg_1990
07-28-2008, 09:41 AM

Only if its within a reasonable amount of tickets to be a sellout. There used to be tons of Chiefs home game blackouts back in the 80's.

dorseybowe
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
"The 2008 season is going to be a very important year for our football team. I expect us to at least compete for a playoff spot."

I wonder what made him change his expectations?

Deberg_1990
07-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Probably just being realistic to the fans instead of feeding them a line of playoff BS.

I like it. Treating the fans with respect.

Chiefnj2
07-28-2008, 11:31 AM
F clark hunt. He could have made wholesale changes - new GM and new coach, but he opted to keep the good ole boys around.

Rausch
07-28-2008, 11:34 AM

How is competing for a playoff spot this year inconsistent with earning the right to be a super bowl favorite 2 or 3 years from now?

It's not.

It's the natural progression of an expected plan and outline for success.

blueballs
07-28-2008, 11:34 AM
"F clark hunt. He could have made wholesale changes - new GM and new coach, but he opted to keep the good ole boys around."[/chiefnj2]

and he could have royaly ****ed up the works
it's a marathon at his age not a race

kcfanintitanhell
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM
For crying out loud, that's an NFL rule and applies to all teams...It doesn't have anything to do with Carl Peterson.

IIRC, it was initially called the Rozelle Rule, named after Pete Rozelle, then the NFL commissioner, who made it.

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
F clark hunt. He could have made wholesale changes - new GM and new coach, but he opted to keep the good ole boys around.

You leave me no choice...

Who would you have suggested he brought in for those positions?

The coaches that filled openings this offseason weren't exactly exciting by any means.

JOHN HARBAUGH, FTW!!1111!1!

Bowser
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
The jinx is now in. Watch the Ravens go 12-4 and make the Super Bowl.

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 11:40 AM
The jinx is now in. Watch the Ravens go 12-4 and make the Super Bowl.

:D

blueballs
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
You leave me no choice...

Who would you have suggested he brought in for those positions?

The coaches that filled openings this offseason weren't exactly exciting by any means.

JOHN HARBAUGH, FTW!!1111!1!

If Clark pulled a Al Davis and justed slashing people
he would have the same problem crazy AL does
good talent knows working there is a death sentence on their careers

dorseybowe
07-28-2008, 11:44 AM
How is competing for a playoff spot this year inconsistent with earning the right to be a super bowl favorite 2 or 3 years from now?

It's not.

You're right.

Monty
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM

It's not.

Totally agree. IMO, the expectations haven't changed a bit.

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Totally agree. IMO, the expectations haven't changed a bit.

You coming in for the opener?

blueballs
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I would think after Herm's and Carl's contracts run out
between the young talent and the Hunt's known loyalty
KC would be a nice gig to get

buddha
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
It has to be a good thing. We got our draft picks signed early, and that never happens when it's left up to Carl...we all know that. That butt licker, Bob Gretz, has lost all credibility (assuming he had much in the first place). His attempt to spin the early draft pick signings into something negative toward the fans and media was lame. He acts like Peterson has a bad wrap for not signing draft picks in a timely fashion. That isn't an opinion...it's document able.

I will applaud the Chiefs for finally doing the right thing and signing their draft picks on time. They get drilled when they don't do it, so we should be willing to extend appreciation when they do.

BigChiefFan
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Because I think anybody that thinks we will be competing for the playoffs in year one of the rebuild is either delusional or telling the people what they want to hear. I suspect, the latter.

Mr. Laz
07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Hunt planned to leave Wisconsin before this morning’s practice. He won’t return this summer and will rejoin the Chiefs in Chicago for their Aug. 7 preseason opener against the Bears.
all well and good ... but the fact that he is leaving and won't return screams "PR Move" more than anything.

if he was really concerned with quality control he would be there off and all throughout the camp.

Rausch
07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I would think after Herm's and Carl's contracts run out
between the young talent and the Hunt's known loyalty
KC would be a nice gig to get

Let a man dream. Just...let him dream.

Nightfyre
07-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm with you on that one.

BigRock
07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
all well and good ... but the fact that he is leaving and won't return screams "PR Move" more than anything.

if he was really concerned with quality control he would be there off and all throughout the camp.

Yeah, who cares if he had other stuff he had to do? CLARK SHOULD BE LIVING IN THE DORMS!!!!1!!!

Hydrae
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM

He just spent three days in camp. How many other owners do that? Heck, how often was Lamar at camp? I can't recall ever hearing that he was at camp anytime since I started following this team in the early 90's.

blueballs
07-28-2008, 04:00 PM
The Chiefs are probably not that big a part of the Hunt empire
I would guess no NFL owners income came chiefly from the nfl
-AL Davis maybe

tomahawk kid
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM

Cowher had a few 6-10 seasons in Pittsburgh, but the Rooney's stuck with their guy and gave him a chance to rebuild (before he had won a SuperBowl BTW).

The difference between there and here, is after 1 or 2 6-10 seasons in KC - a chunk of the fanbase would be screaming for Clark to bait Parcells out of semi-retirement.

tomahawk kid
07-28-2008, 04:09 PM
He just spent three days in camp. How many other owners do that? Heck, how often was Lamar at camp? I can't recall ever hearing that he was at camp anytime since I started following this team in the early 90's.

He would usually come up a spend a weekend once a year.

KCFalcon59
07-28-2008, 05:32 PM
The economy is driving down ticket sales? ha ha. Go on believing that Clark.

Skip Towne
07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Not impressed.