PDA

View Full Version : Elections Would Carter have won any other "normal presidential election"??

chris
07-28-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm embarassed to admit that I voted for Carter.

(Hey, I was in college, young, thought that we should help everyone, whether they wanted to help themselves or not. :) )

Now, that was a guy not qualified to be President...at least in my opinion.

With the the Gerry Ford pardoning of Nixon issue hurting the Reps chance for victory, would Carter have won any other "normal presidential election"?

To me, Carter ranks worse than Bush II; but not by much.

VAChief
07-28-2008, 07:57 AM
He certainly made a lot mistakes not playing the right political games, but it is a little hard to compare to Bush II because he didn't get a second term. By then you should have learned from your mistakes, gained enough experience and alliances to make a difference.

Amnorix
07-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Carter was a thoroughly mediocre President -- of that there is little doubt -- but he also took the rap for a number of issues that were entirely outside his control. He also gets very little credit for some good things that he did do. He was hardly the worst President ever or anything.

But again, he clearly is in the bottom half (at least) of Presidents that we've had. At least he didn't outright break the law while in office, which too many Presidents have done during my lifetime.

HonestChieffan
07-28-2008, 08:10 AM
I think you had to be there. Trying to describe the Carter years to someone who was not there is very difficult at best. The guy had his heart in the right place and I still believe ole Jimmy is a pretty good old boy. But when it came to decisions, selection of advisors, and implementing his approaches it was a disaster of epic proportions. In many cases, those of us old enough to recall that time see so much in Obama that looks like sounds like walks like Carter that makes us have chills. The difference is Obama's ego and his elitism beliefs as opposed to Carter who seemed than and even now approachable.

Carters closet had a beer drinking funny brother. Obamas is full of very frightening and very influential anti American close friends.

2bikemike
07-28-2008, 08:18 AM
He certainly made a lot mistakes not playing the right political games, but it is a little hard to compare to Bush II because he didn't get a second term. By then you should have learned from your mistakes, gained enough experience and alliances to make a difference.

IMHO I think our most recent 2 term Presidents have had terrible 2nd terms. Maybe I am just remembering wrong. Certainly Bush's 2nd term has been a disaster. IIRC correctly Clinton's was pretty fugged up with the whole Monica episode.

Politics can be pretty ugly. I don't know why anyone would want to subject their families to that kind of abuse. Which is why I question the motives of those presidential hopefuls.

HonestChieffan
07-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Carter was a thoroughly mediocre President -- of that there is little doubt -- but he also took the rap for a number of issues that were entirely outside his control. He also gets very little credit for some good things that he did do. He was hardly the worst President ever or anything.

But again, he clearly is in the bottom half (at least) of Presidents that we've had. At least he didn't outright break the law while in office, which too many Presidents have done during my lifetime.

The common thread of all presidential tours in office is the "took the rap for a number of issues that were entirely outside his control" statement. Bush, much like Carter, seems to be a good person and like Carter has had a lot of things outside of his control that have led to the situation we are in today. The difference seems to be the anti Carter feeling was far less hate filled and as I recalll it, we didnt have this vitriolic constant Carter beating as an ongoing effort.

2bikemike
07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
The common thread of all presidential tours in office is the "took the rap for a number of issues that were entirely outside his control" statement. Bush, much like Carter, seems to be a good person and like Carter has had a lot of things outside of his control that have led to the situation we are in today. The difference seems to be the anti Carter feeling was far less hate filled and as I recalll it, we didnt have this vitriolic constant Carter beating as an ongoing effort.

That because we didn't have internet Bulliten board bashing back then.

Amnorix
07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
That because we didn't have internet Bulliten board bashing back then.

Ayep.

StcChief
07-28-2008, 01:36 PM
I think you had to be there. Trying to describe the Carter years to someone who was not there is very difficult at best. The guy had his heart in the right place and I still believe ole Jimmy is a pretty good old boy. But when it came to decisions, selection of advisors, and implementing his approaches it was a disaster of epic proportions. In many cases, those of us old enough to recall that time see so much in Obama that looks like sounds like walks like Carter that makes us have chills. The difference is Obama's ego and his elitism beliefs as opposed to Carter who seemed than and even now approachable.

Carters closet had a beer drinking funny brother. Obamas is full of very frightening and very influential anti American close friends.

yeah..... Jimmy tried and came across as a Good ole boy from Georgia.

I'd settle for Billie (Billie Beer) Carter easily over Bark Obama's "Friends/associates".

Deberg_1990
07-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Carter was no William Henry Harrison.

HonestChieffan
07-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Carter was no William Henry Harrison.

Billy or Jimmy?

HolmeZz
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm embarassed to admit that I voted for Carter.

(Hey, I was in college, young, thought that we should help everyone, whether they wanted to help themselves or not. :) )

Now, that was a guy not qualified to be President...at least in my opinion.

With the the Gerry Ford pardoning of Nixon issue hurting the Reps chance for victory, would Carter have won any other "normal presidential election"?

To me, Carter ranks worse than Bush II; but not by much.

Did you vote for W. twice?

Alton deFlat
07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
The guy had his heart in the right place and I still believe ole Jimmy is a pretty good old boy. But when it came to decisions, selection of advisors, and implementing his approaches it was a disaster of epic proportions.

Reminds me of Gunther's stint as head coach.