PDA

View Full Version : General Politics NObama/Hitler analogy: From the 'right' AND the left

memyselfI
07-28-2008, 07:09 AM
I've been comparing NOBots obamania to the type of folks who followed Hitler but these two journalists from both sides of the spectrum dare to make the comparison and take it national and rather personal. Look for more of this to come in the future from BOTH sides.

:Poke:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/commentary/carlson.html

Margaret Carlson
Obama Needs Europe to Restrain Its Enthusiasm: Margaret Carlson This is the first election in memory when a small crowd is better than a large one, a passionate crowd inferior to a bored one, where drawing a million people in Berlin is less likely to be compared with Ronald Reagan or John F. Kennedy but to Hitler Youth chanting ``Sieg heil!''

Ben Stein
http://mediamatters.org/items/200807240001?lid=469702&rid=11523255
STEIN: I want -- I'm glad you brought up this Denver thing. I don't like the idea of Senator Obama giving his acceptance speech in front of 75,000 wildly cheering people. That is not the way we do things in political parties in the United States of America. We have a contained number of people in an arena. Seventy-five-thousand people at an outdoor sports palace, well, that's something the Fuehrer would have done. And I think whoever is advising Senator Obama to do this is bringing up all kinds of very unfortunate images from the past.

BECK: Well, yeah, you know what? I've been -- I've been saying that we're headed towards a Mussolini-style presidency forever.

STEIN: Well, I think --

BECK: I mean it's crazy.

STEIN: It's a scary situation. I mean, I think he has to recognize some bounds on his own ego. I understand politicians are politicians because they have ego deficit problems and they try to cure them by having lots of worship and adulation and adoration. But 75,000 people screaming at an outdoor arena, that's just too much. It's just -- it's scarily authoritarian.

Sully
07-28-2008, 07:11 AM
That first article doesn't mean what you think it means. Read it again and get back to us... mmm'kay?

Messier
07-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Both of those seem uncalled for and frankly sour grape-like.

Amnorix
07-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Retarded comparison.

Messier
07-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Do you think Obama is Hitlerish?

Bowser
07-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Good lord. Seriously? It's gotten to where opponents of Obama are conjuring up images of Hitler? What the hell?

Bowser
07-28-2008, 07:15 AM
I guess after Obama invades Costa Rica, we can all look back on this cutting edge reporting and blame ourselves.

Amnorix
07-28-2008, 07:23 AM
I guess after Obama invades Costa Rica, we can all look back on this cutting edge reporting and blame ourselves.

Please. You underestimate Obama's genius. First he will claim that Ontario Canada must become part of the United States because most people there speak English. Then he will annex the rest of the country. Then he will claim that the Mexicans started attacking us in Texas and invade and conquer. And then, the Vorld!!

Fox News had an indepth report from a man so deeply enmeshed in Obama's Master Plan and so far behind the scenes that he cannot be identified that he is known only as "Double Penetration", for the dual plans to conquer Canada and Mexico are primarily his. But, some has taken his picture.

http://api.ning.com/files/d3RdPqkRYrntNSnfo6suBYHjYaKiLkWmX15UCAitS18HGFIZkQVvwYPFKPOh6ZU7wYtmRFxrDBqwrmMtYjKMZEouM4hBQvHC/dr.strangelove763806.jpg

memyselfI
07-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Do you think Obama is Hitlerish?

No, not in the man but in HIS crafting a media campaign they've certainly relied on a great deal of imagery and symbolism that has it's roots in leaders we've previously disdained in the past. They've also tapped into religious imagery and rhetoric to help soften the authoritarian feel.

I do think his youth movement Obots share a propensity to follow without question and they are similar to Hitler's following.

Bowser
07-28-2008, 07:28 AM
I do think his youth movement Obots share a propensity to follow without question and they are similar to Hitler's following.

Why, exactly? Just because they are young and devoted? Come on, this is all crap.

Amnorix
07-28-2008, 07:32 AM
You let me know when he forms a paramilitary organization that swears an oath of loyalty to him personally and then we'll talk.

BigChiefFan
07-28-2008, 07:33 AM
This is borderline libel. Comparing him to Hitler is ****ing absurd and shows how the fanatics will stop at nothing to slander.

Rausch
07-28-2008, 07:36 AM
This is borderline libel. Comparing him to Hitler is ****ing absurd and shows how the fanatics will stop at nothing to slander.

Indeed.

Hitler's first priority was the restoration of nationalism.

An idea that's fully escaped BOTH of the underwhelming panderers to date...

Bowser
07-28-2008, 07:39 AM
You let me know when he forms a paramilitary organization that swears an oath of loyalty to him personally and then we'll talk.

You think they'll hand out switchblades or butterfly knives?

chiefforlife
07-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Obama draws big crowds....Hitler drew big crowds...They are the SAME!!

Pitt Gorilla
07-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Indeed.

Hitler's first priority was the restoration of nationalism.

An idea that's fully escaped BOTH of the underwhelming panderers to date...You've still got it, man.

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Wow...

A new low for Duhnise, and that's saying something.

Nightwish
07-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I've been comparing NOBots obamania to the type of folks who followed Hitler but these two journalists from both sides of the spectrum dare to make the comparison and take it national and rather personal. Look for more of this to come in the future from BOTH sides.

:Poke:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/commentary/carlson.html

Margaret Carlson
In this one, Carlson isn't comparing Obama crowds to Hitler crowds, she is commenting on the frequency with which anti-Obama journalists have made the comparison. Read the rest of the piece.

BigChiefFan
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
In this one, Carlson isn't comparing Obama crowds to Hitler crowds, she is commenting on the frequency with which anti-Obama journalists have made the comparison. Read the rest of the piece.
Comprehending isn't Denise's strongsuit. Hatred is here sole motivation and it shows.

noa
07-28-2008, 10:26 AM

You have no idea what you are talking about. All you say is that Hitler's followers were enthusiastic, and so are Obama's. That isn't enough to justify a comparison between the two. To compare them to Hitler's following is utterly ignorant and an intellectually feeble attempt at undermining his campaign.

beer bacon
07-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Hitler had a mustache and Barack Obama is black. EXACTLY THE SAME.

Bowser
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM

LMAO

Direckshun
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Godwin law closed this thread after the OP.

noa
07-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Didn't Hitler type in the same font as you when he posted on WasgeschiehtmitdemFührer Planet? :hmmm::doh!:

VAChief
07-28-2008, 01:08 PM

I guess we can throw Billy Graham into that mix as well.

VAChief
07-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Denise, your attacks make me wonder whether you truly had any convictions on the war. Your hateful rhetoric at first I took as just a sore loser period, but most people move past that eventually. I mean the one candidate (who was a major player in the primaries) who was on the record from the start against the war, you lambaste non-stop. It just doesn't add up.

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Wait! I thought GWB was Hitler!! Now Billy? Obama? Anyone who can attract a crowd and a following? Well then I guess my hunch has been right this whole time--Mick Jagger=Hitler!!!!

Frazod
07-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Comprehending isn't Denise's strongsuit. Hatred is here sole motivation and it shows.

Who could have imagined that she hates blacks as much as she hates whites?

Spicy McHaggis
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Blame nothing. You ever been to Costa Rica? We send in the troops, I'm freaking packing up and moving there. Most relaxing invasion ever.

Alton deFlat
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/DELUSIONAL%202.jpg

Rooster
07-28-2008, 01:27 PM

True but Obama is the true Anti-Christ.

|Zach|
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
GAME CHANGER!

HolmeZz
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
CCW compares everyone she hates to Hitler. That would seem to indicate she doesn't have vast enough knowledge to make a better historical reference.

banyon
07-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Hannah Montana is Hitler too.

Sully
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
The Chiefs are Hitler!!!!

Fish
07-28-2008, 02:12 PM
The Chiefs are Hitler!!!!

Also.... Obama = Herm!

I can't believe that one hasn't been brought up yet...

noa
07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Also.... Obama = Herm!

I can't believe that one hasn't been brought up yet...

That could be the most damning analogy in this thread

Donger
07-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't think anyone is comparing Barack Hussein to Hitler. They are comparing the way the followers of both were/are almost fanatical in their devotion.

noa
07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't think anyone is comparing Barack Hussein to Hitler. They are comparing the way the followers of both were/are almost fanatical in their devotion.

I think there are plenty of other people in history who have had enthusiastic followers. Why choose Hitler to make the comparison? What is the specifically unique connection between the two? I can't identify one.

HolmeZz
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM

I don't understand the appeal of The Wiggles, but I doubt you'll see me comparing 3 and 4 year olds to Nazis.

BucEyedPea
07-28-2008, 02:59 PM

Sounds like some Bush supporters too. :D

Donger
07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I think there are plenty of other people in history who have had enthusiastic followers. Why choose Hitler to make the comparison? What is the specifically unique connection between the two? I can't identify one.

Two points:

1) He was speaking to a German crowd. I suppose it's natural to bring up Hitler when one sees an adoring crowd of Germans.

2) I can't think of another politician who had such fanatically devoted followers besides Hitler and Barack Hussein. Can you?

Donger
07-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't understand the appeal of The Wiggles, but I doubt you'll see me comparing 3 and 4 year olds to Nazis.

We're talking about liberals here.

Sully
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
2) I can't think of another politician who had such fanatically devoted followers besides Hitler and Barack Hussein. Can you?

Any sports team.
Any rock band/personality.
Many movie stars.
Elvis.
Car companies
Comic Book characters
etc, etc...

SBK
07-28-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't know about comparing Hitler's followers to Obama's. I can't imagine that Hitler's were as dense. :moon:

banyon
07-28-2008, 05:20 PM

Really stretching the old imagination, huh, Donger?

http://blogs.trb.com/news/politics/blog/kennedy%20in%20ft%20worth%20nov%2022%201963.jpg

JFK

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt187025f4/hi-res

RFK

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Roosevelt-inauguration.jpg/681px-Roosevelt-inauguration.jpg

TR

http://history.sandiego.edu/cdr2/WW2Pics/04484sm.GIF

FDR in auto in parade in Los Angeles before crowd of 1 million, FDRL 1938/07/16

http://history.sandiego.edu/cdr2/WW2Pics/04479sm.GIF

FDR speech at San Francisco Civic Center to crowd of 25000 on return from world tour, FDRL 1938/07/14

http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/3128/FE_DA_080128truman.jpg

Truman

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/large_reagan-wide.jpg

Reagan

Sully
07-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Any sports team.
Any rock band/personality.
Many movie stars.
Elvis.
Car companies
Comic Book characters
etc, etc...

edit:
I missed the "politician" part, but I think Banyon rebutted it pretty darned well.

HolmeZz
07-28-2008, 06:26 PM
1) He was speaking to a German crowd. I suppose it's natural to bring up Hitler when one sees an adoring crowd of Germans.

The nutjobs were comparing him to Hitler way before he ever thought of speaking in Berlin.

I can give you one from this election cycle: Ron Paul.

noa
07-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Two points:

Sorry, don't buy that. The more natural analogy is JFK. A popular American figure can do well in that venue. Would you analogize JFK's followers to Hitler's? Are we just going to dilute everything so that any time a person gets a lot of people at a speech, their followers are acting similarly to Hitler's?

2) I can't think of another politician who had such fanatically devoted followers besides Hitler and Barack Hussein. Can you?How are we defining fanatical? Because to me, fanatical would probably involve vandalism, intimidation, or violence, aside from sheer enthusiasm and blind devotion. I will concede that there are some Obama people who blindly follow him and whose exuberance can be ridiculous at times (applauding when he sneezes). But that still doesn't strike me as fanatical. And it especially doesn't strike me as HISTORICALLY fanatical, that is more fanatical than other political stuff that has gone down in the U.S. Fanaticism has appeared as part of political movements often throughout American history (particularly before the Civil War). Political parties used to be heavily associated with gangs, who would literally have shoot-outs before and during elections (see Know-Nothing riot in Baltimore). It isn't happening now. So I really can't say that BO's followers are fanatical. Especially considering what we've seen in the past, and what we saw out of Hitler's fanatical followers (burning the Reichstag, killing/imprisoning opponents, establishing a one-party dictatorship, seizing property from citizens, and finally, genocide and ethnic cleansing).

banyon
07-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Sorry, don't buy that. The more natural analogy is JFK. A popular American figure can do well in that venue. Would you analogize JFK's followers to Hitler's? Are we just going to dilute everything so that any time a person gets a lot of people at a speech, their followers are acting similarly to Hitler's?

How are we defining fanatical? Because to me, fanatical would probably involve vandalism, intimidation, or violence, aside from sheer enthusiasm and blind devotion. I will concede that there are some Obama people who blindly follow him and whose exuberance can be ridiculous at times (applauding when he sneezes). But that still doesn't strike me as fanatical. And it especially doesn't strike me as HISTORICALLY fanatical, that is more fanatical than other political stuff that has gone down in the U.S. Fanaticism has appeared as part of political movements often throughout American history (particularly before the Civil War). Political parties used to be heavily associated with gangs, who would literally have shoot-outs before and during elections (see Know-Nothing riot in Baltimore). It isn't happening now. So I really can't say that BO's followers are fanatical. Especially considering what we've seen in the past, and what we saw out of Hitler's fanatical followers (burning the Reichstag, killing/imprisoning opponents, establishing a one-party dictatorship, seizing property from citizens, and finally, genocide and ethnic cleansing).

Also, "Fan" comes from "fanatical" and we are all (or most of us) self-described Chiefs fans, but that doesn't mean we are murderous lunatics who need to be in an asylum (excepting Frazod, of course ;)).

VAChief
07-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't know about comparing Hitler's followers to Obama's. I can't imagine that Hitler's were as dense. :moon:

If we are making analogies for Hitler I would say he is more of the "stay the course" type than a "flip flopper."

Ari Chi3fs
07-28-2008, 07:32 PM
DONGEROWNED

Messier
07-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I think this post will die soon as it's really not much to argue about.

Donger
07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Really stretching the old imagination, huh, Donger?

http://blogs.trb.com/news/politics/blog/kennedy%20in%20ft%20worth%20nov%2022%201963.jpg

JFK

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt187025f4/hi-res

RFK

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Roosevelt-inauguration.jpg/681px-Roosevelt-inauguration.jpg

TR

http://history.sandiego.edu/cdr2/WW2Pics/04484sm.GIF

FDR in auto in parade in Los Angeles before crowd of 1 million, FDRL 1938/07/16

http://history.sandiego.edu/cdr2/WW2Pics/04479sm.GIF

FDR speech at San Francisco Civic Center to crowd of 25000 on return from world tour, FDRL 1938/07/14

http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/3128/FE_DA_080128truman.jpg

Truman

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/large_reagan-wide.jpg

Reagan

Those are actually pretty good. I would say that RFK would probably be the most applicable. However, I don't believe that the RFK supporters were fanatical about their support of the man, but more his policies (ending Vietnam, peace, etc.). Barack Hussein followers seem more fanatical about the man himself.

chiefforlife
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Those are actually pretty good. I would say that RFK would probably be the most applicable. However, I don't believe that the RFK supporters were fanatical about their support of the man, but more his policies (ending Vietnam, peace, etc.). Barack Hussein followers seem more fanatical about the man himself.

Support Obama's policies...(ending Iraq, peace, etc.)

Donger
07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Support Obama's policies...(ending Iraq, peace, etc.)

Barack Hussein followers seem more fanatical about the man himself.

banyon
07-29-2008, 10:51 AM

I think it's just refreshing to people on the left to have a candidate that isn't a complete wooden idiot for a change after Kerry and Gore. Plus we've had to endure Bush for eight years, so it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel.

Nightwish
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
There's a fair share of both, I'd say. There are a lot who support him because of who he is, because they want to see history in the making, the first black President. And there are a lot of who support him for the exact same reasons people supported RFK - because we're once again embroiled in a very unpopular war, and this is the guy who is offering to bring it to an end. And thirdly, there are those who support him purely because his charisma is unrivaled by any candidate since Bill Clinton. I'd say the McCain supporters likewise fall into multiple camps - those who support him because he promises to improve national security, and those who support him because he isn't Obama. He won't have many charisma supporters, of course, because he has about as much charisma as Al Gore circa 2000.

Donger
07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
I think it's just refreshing to people on the left to have a candidate that isn't a complete wooden idiot for a change after Kerry and Gore. Plus we've had to endure Bush for eight years, so it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel.

Indeed. Barack Hussein is The Light.

Donger
07-29-2008, 11:07 AM
There's a fair share of both, I'd say. There are a lot who support him because of who he is, because they want to see history in the making, the first black President. And there are a lot of who support him for the exact same reasons people supported RFK - because we're once again embroiled in a very unpopular war, and this is the guy who is offering to bring it to an end. And thirdly, there are those who support him purely because his charisma is unrivaled by any candidate since Bill Clinton. I'd say the McCain supporters likewise fall into multiple camps - those who support him because he promises to improve national security, and those who support him because he isn't Obama. He won't have many charisma supporters, of course, because he has about as much charisma as Al Gore circa 2000.

I can see your point about charisma when it comes to delivering prepared speeches in front of adoring followers, but to be honest, he isn't very impressive when he isn't reading a script.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Ahh, the myopia of Donger, knowing no bounds. The first two posts are from the "100,00" thread last week, the other one is this thread starter. Post two was made in reference to me calling out MMI for Hitler analogies.

Just sayin, they have storied history of assembly in response to the call of 'charismatic' leaders.

Are you lost or something? No one has compared anyone to Hitler in this thread.

I've been comparing NOBots obamania to the type of folks who followed Hitler ...

Donger
07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Ahh, the myopia of Donger, knowing no bounds. The first two posts are from the "100,00" thread last week, the other one is this thread starter. Post two was made in reference to me calling out MMI for Hitler analogies.

I see you are still lost. Try reading a little closer.

The comparison is between the FOLLOWERS of Barack Hussein and Hitler, NOT between Barack Hussein and Hitler.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I see you are still lost. Try reading a little closer.

The comparison is between the FOLLOWERS of Barack Hussein and Hitler, NOT between Barack Hussein and Hitler.

Do you really think anyone will believe this line of bullshit?? Seriously. You're this board's version of Bruce Cutler.

It's a pretty transparent rhetorical strategy meant to allude that Hitler and Obama share similarities and thus are analogous.

Donger
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Do you really think anyone will believe this line of bullshit?? Seriously. You're this board's version of Bruce Cutler.

Perhaps you can point out where anyone has compared Barack Hussein to Hitler in this thread? Or any other for that matter?

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Perhaps you can point out where anyone has compared Barack Hussein to Hitler in this thread? Or any other for that matter?

Jesus Tits, just read the second half of the last post.

Donger
07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Jesus Tits, just read the second half of the last post.

Well, now that you bring it up, I suppose one could compare them based on their charismatic speaking abilities.

Thanks.

That being said, there have been many charismatic public speakers throughout history.

The comparison that is relevant between Barack Hussein followers and Hitler's followers is apropos because of the personal devotion, IMO.

VAChief
07-29-2008, 11:52 AM
The comparison that is relevant between Barack Hussein followers and Hitler's followers is apropos because of the personal devotion, IMO.

Sort of like the type of devotion Monica Goodling was looking for by asking prospective applicants in the justice department:

What is it about George W. Bush that makes you want to serve him?

memyselfI
07-29-2008, 02:12 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6eKcszDGUiE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6eKcszDGUiE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> :D

Nightwish
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6eKcszDGUiE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>:D</P>Faux News downplays Obama's advantage. Color me shocked!

ChiefaRoo
07-29-2008, 06:17 PM
No, not in the man but in HIS crafting a media campaign they've certainly relied on a great deal of imagery and symbolism that has it's roots in leaders we've previously disdained in the past. They've also tapped into religious imagery and rhetoric to help soften the authoritarian feel.

You know what? I agree with you. Obama and his people have never missed an opportunity to show arrogance and presumption in the symbols and settings they have used. Whether it's the ' Great Seal' ripoff or the arrogance of inevetibility put out by his people in the media. Obama has shown no humility and even if he becomes President it will not serve him well with his fellow pols in D.C. (assuming he wins) or the American people if he tries to shift this country to the left. I think he's in for a hard lesson either way.

Overall, I think the guy needs better handlers.

HolmeZz
07-29-2008, 07:11 PM
You know what? I agree with you. Obama and his people have never missed an opportunity to show arrogance and presumption in the symbols and settings they have used. Whether it's the ' Great Seal' ripoff or the arrogance of inevetibility put out by his people in the media. Obama has shown no humility and even if he becomes President it will not serve him well with his fellow pols in D.C. (assuming he wins) or the American people if he tries to shift this country to the left. I think he's in for a hard lesson either way.

Overall, I think the guy needs better handlers.

So true. McCain would never be pull something like that.

<embed FlashVars='videoId=177808' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

Amnorix
07-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I can see your point about charisma when it comes to delivering prepared speeches in front of adoring followers, but to be honest, he isn't very impressive when he isn't reading a script.

Well, 1 out of 2 puts him 1 ahead of every Presidential candidate since Bill Clinton, doesn't it?

Donger
07-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, 1 out of 2 puts him 1 ahead of every Presidential candidate since Bill Clinton, doesn't it?

If charisma is important to you, then yes, I suppose he is.

sportsman1
07-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Obama > Hitler

penchief
07-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Sort of like the type of devotion Monica Goodling was looking for by asking prospective applicants in the justice department:

What is it about George W. Bush that makes you want to serve him?

Good point.

I get slightly ill whenever I imagine that process taking place.

I've raised the loyalty litmus test for the DOJ before as an example of fascist behavior akin to something the Nazi party practiced.

But all the loyal righties are more than willing to brush it off as politics as usual or pretend that it is being misconstrued.