PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues British Muslim students say it's acceptable to kill for Islam

HonestChieffan
07-28-2008, 01:23 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23522144-details/One+third+of+British+Muslim+students+say+it%27s+acceptable+to+kill+for+Islam/article.do

Everytime I read these reports, the consistancy is astounding. Is there any doubt why Muslims are seen by Eurocentric Christian cultures as they are?

One third of British Muslim students say it's acceptable to kill for Islam
Last updated at 10:13am on 28.07.08

Nearly one third of Muslim students believe it can be acceptable to kill in the name of religion, according to a survey published yesterday.

It also found that 40 per cent want to see the introduction of Islamic sharia law in Britain, 40 per cent think it wrong for Muslim men and women to mix freely together, and 33 per cent want to see a worldwide Islamic government based on sharia law.

The findings were described by researchers at the Centre for Social Cohesion think tank, which commissioned the poll, as 'deeply alarming'.

But a prominent Muslim student group called the report 'weak and unrepresentative' and said it undermined 'positive work carried out by Islamic societies'.

The Centre for Social Cohesion, founded last year to study religion and tolerance, has drawn attention to the extremist influence of Islamic societies and study centres at British universities.

The survey was based on a YouGov poll of 1,400 students, 600 of them Muslims, at 12 universities with influential Islamic societies.

These included eight in London, among them the London School of Economics, Imperial College, and the School of Oriental and African Studies, and the universities of Birmingham, Leeds, Leicester and Manchester.

It found that a large minority of Muslim students express views that are strongly socially conservative or which suggest they are open to extremist thinking.

While 32 per cent justified killing in the name of religion if the religion was under attack, 60 per cent of students active in Islamic societies did so. Four per cent thought killing to promote religion was permissible.

More than half, 54 per cent, wanted an Islamic political party to stand up for Muslims at Westminster.

There was strong criticism of the British Government over Iraq - 66 per cent of Muslim students said they had lost respect for it.

But 30 per cent of Muslim students said their respect for British society had grown because of the negative public reaction to the Iraq war.

Report author Hannah Stuart said: 'These findings are deeply alarming. Students in higher education are the future leaders of their communities, yet significant numbers of them appear to hold beliefs which contravene liberal, democratic values.

'These results are deeply embarrassing for those who have said that there is no extremism in British universities.'

Miss Stewart also said that ministers should be wary about treating university Islamic societies as representative because their members appeared to be more extreme than other Muslim students.

The Federation of Student Islamic Societies called the survey mischievous.

Its president Faisal Hanjra said: 'This is yet another damning attack on the Muslim community by elements within the academic arena whose only purpose seems to be the undermining of sincere efforts by mainstream Muslim organisations to tackle the threat of terror which wider society faces.

'The report is methodologically weak, it is unrepresentative and above all serves only to undermine the positive work carried out by Islamic societies across the country.'

Concerns over extremism among the 90,000 Muslims studying at British universities have grown alongside the spread of radical groups, including the Hizb ut-Tahrir organisation which Tony Blair said in 2005 should be banned.

Terrorists who have passed through British universities include Kafeel Ahmed, who died after driving a burning vehicle into a Glasgow airport terminal last year, and Jawad Akbar, jailed for life in April 2007 for conspiring to attack shopping malls and nightclubs. He was said to have become involved in militancy while a student at Brunel University.

VAChief
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
So you were for gettting out of Iraq once Sadaam was overthrown? I mean why stick around after that if we really shouldn't care about them. We could give every family in America a $30,000 rebate for gas and energy with what we are spending there.

HolmeZz
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Or if you're a glass half-fill kinda guy, "Most British Muslims say it's not acceptable to kill for Islam" would work.

HonestChieffan
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
no, i wasnt for getting out.

beer bacon
07-28-2008, 01:40 PM
The only solution for this problem is much more fear-mongering on homefront.

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't extremeist on all sides do crazy shit and think its ok to kill in the name of "insert religion here"?

HonestChieffan
07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
I dont think 30% of the kids in our Methodist Sunday school would say its ok to kill for any reason.

markk
07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
it's ironic, in the other thread i said something like "do i really need to lay out in black and white that i think killing people for their political/religious beliefs is wrong?"

well maybe that's not such a bad thing to spell out.

the title is bad, it's not "british muslim students", it's "33% of..."

HolmeZz
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I dont think 30% of the kids in our Methodist Sunday school would say its ok to kill for any reason.

What if they're being attacked by one of the evil british Muslim students attempting to kill in the name of Islam?

markk
07-28-2008, 01:56 PM
What if they're being attacked by one of the evil british Muslim students attempting to kill in the name of Islam?

so killing in self defense is an equivalency to that? :rolleyes:

HolmeZz
07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
so killing in self defense is an equivalency to that? :rolleyes:

He said they wouldn't kill for any reason, so I gave'em a reason.

HonestChieffan
07-28-2008, 01:59 PM
What is this, stupid hypothetical question Monday?

Rural white Methodists are all clinging to our guns and religion so hypothetically, muslims would be far smarter to attack liberal kids whos parents sing peace songs and abhor private ownership of firearms.

Taco John
07-28-2008, 02:02 PM
I wonder what the percentage would be if the question were how many American students think it's ok to kill muslims in the name of "freedom?"

Carlota69
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I wonder what the percentage would be if the question were how many American students think it's ok to kill muslims in the name of "freedom?"

ROFL

HolmeZz
07-28-2008, 02:04 PM

FTW

SNR
07-28-2008, 02:04 PM
40% in Britain? Shit, that's bad news. So we bomb London and set up a new government, and everything will be cool, right? Just so long as those Brits don't fly planes into our buildings again.

Donger
07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Shocking.

StcChief
07-28-2008, 04:40 PM
as a Muslim ... when your brain washed since birth....

Hydrae
07-28-2008, 05:15 PM
OMG, college kids with radical beliefs and ideas! What is this world coming to these days? It must be Bush's fault! :cuss:

HonestChieffan
07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Im quite surprised that this sort of study does not bother people more. This is shocking that that high a % of people could feel that way.

SBK
07-28-2008, 05:25 PM
We must go negotiate with that 33%. Unilaterally with no preconditions.

SNR
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Im quite surprised that this sort of study does not bother people more. This is shocking that that high a % of people could feel that way.What do you want us to do? Shit ourselves? Demand that we bomb the Middle East? Britain?

All of these are too difficult and messy, especially the first one. It's easier just to make sarcastic jokes.

Baby Lee
07-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Or if you're a glass half-fill kinda guy, "Most British Muslims say it's not acceptable to kill for Islam" would work.

Let us all bow our heads and pray for an unseen but intended sense of biting sarcasm. . .