PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A With Tony G. 7/28

Coogs
07-28-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/28/qa_with_tony_gonzalez__728/

Q&A with TONY GONZALEZ - 7/28
Jul 28, 2008, 4:00:15 PM

Q: What do you think about the team’s dedication to rebuilding?

TONY GONZALEZ: “There’s nothing we can do about it. I think coach has made that decision, you know as far as getting rid of the older guys on the team, to go younger, and that’s fine with me. I think with the guys he brought in here, I’m definitely happy with it. At first I was frustrated – I was a little pissed off to tell the truth – because I’m winding down in my career and I’m thinking ‘this is not what I signed on for last year when I redid my deal’ after seeing the guys that they brought in and after the draft, it’s making a lot more sense. We’re a pretty good football team. There’s no doubt about it.”

Q: Is it kind of Ironic to you that the closest you’ve been to the Super Bowl was your rookie year (in ‘97)?

GONZALEZ: “Well, we had a pretty good team when Dick (Vermeil) was here, too (in 2003). But it weighs on my mind all the time and that’s part of the frustration part, you know? We’re getting rid of all these guys and I’m getting on in my career – I haven’t even won a playoff game. That’s the reality of it. You can look back and say you know, you had a pretty good career, but I want to say I went to the playoffs, I won some playoff games and I went to the Super Bowl.”

Q: How many times have you thought about what would’ve happened had they not taken that touchdown away from you in that Denver playoff game (in ‘97)? Do you ever wonder what would’ve been?

GONZALEZ: “I think about it a lot. But that’s all over now. I’d think about it a lot more, but the older I get, the more I realize that we can’t live in the past. You’ve got to stay right here. We’ve got on opportunity right in front of us and I really do believe that we’re going to be a good football team. We’ll be a lot better than we were last year, that’s for sure.”

Q: Do all the numbers you’ve posted motivate you through the times when the team wins aren’t there?

GONZALEZ: “Yeah. You’ve got to be proud of what you do. I’m not looking at my career like if I don’t ever win a Super Bowl that it’s worthless. I do take a lot of satisfaction knowing that I worked hard and put together a really good career. Like I said, those are my goals right now. It’s really not an individual thing for me anymore. It’s been that way for the last two or three years for me. It’s really about going out there and putting the best team together. I can help that out a lot, not just on the field but in the locker room as well – helping these guys become the best players they can be.”

Q: When you hear the word rebuilding, everyone thinks this team isn’t going to be any good. What do you think of that?

GONZALEZ: “I think it’s more than I can say right now, because most people aren’t going to believe it. People in my own family are like ‘yeah right, whatever.’ I’m proud of them. We’re a lot better than last year and I feel like we’re a lot farther along. We’re still learning the offense, the defense has had a year underneath their belt, but it’s young guys. I think these young guys can play, I mean, they can go. It’s going to be a good year.”

Q: What do you think of the offensive line and how they’ve progressed?

GONZALEZ: “They look good, they’re coming along. It’s still early, like you said. But I think by the time the first game rolls around, we’re going put this thing together. Last year (T Damion) McIntosh got hurt. As long as they stay healthy, we’re going to be good. I think the running game is better for these guys.”

Q: Do you like (Offensive Coordinator) Chan’s (Gailey) offense?

GONZALEZ: “I like it. I feel like a rookie again trying to learn it. I’m in the media room before and staying after trying to get this thing down. It gives us a better advantage, in my opinion, because (QB) Brodie (Croyle) can have freedom at the line of scrimmage. He can come to the line and say the play that’s call is not going to work, so let’s change it and go the other direction. Last year we didn’t have that option at times. That’s going to definitely help and give us an advantage.”

Q: How important is doing what you want to do with your career compared to helping out the younger guys?

GONZALEZ: “Both ways it’s important. It’s important just to help them out. I mean, why not, I’m going out so I better tell them what works for me and tell them how I do it so they can put it in their game. I just got done talking to the defensive end, the seventh-round draft choice (Brian Johnston) about work ethic and doing what it takes to be good. And they ask me those questions, I don’t even have to seek them out most of the time. Also, winding down toward the end of my career, I want them to get better, I want the learning curve shortened so we can go out there and be the best team we can be right away. I don’t know how much longer I’m going to play, I know I’m going to play this year. I’m 95 percent sure I’ll play next year. And then after that, who knows what’s going to happen. So, I’ve got to make sure that over these next few years that we put this thing together.”

Q: Do you think that this year this team can play at a high level?

GONZALEZ: “The thing about this year is that we do have a young team. We’re going to get a good core group of guys together, there’s no doubt about that. By the end of the year, we’re going to have a really good football team, and then going into next year it’s just going to be that much better because we’ll be that much farther ahead. That’s my thinking at this point.”

Q: Do you think people around the league and around the country will appreciate what you’ve done if it doesn’t work out that you get into the playoffs?

GONZALEZ: “Yeah. I think so. I hope so. I can’t really worry about that, though. Maybe when I was younger I used to worry a lot about what other people thought, but for me, like I said before, I can’t dwell on the past, there’s nothing I can do about it. Hey, we didn’t go to the playoffs, we didn’t win the Super Bowl – if that’s the way I end my career, it’s not going to take away anything as far as my feeling proud for what I’ve done,. The friendships that I’ve established while I’ve been in the league, I mean, guys that were in my wedding, guys that are like brothers. You know I still talk to JD (Jason Dunn) all the time, Tony Richardson, Kevin Lockett, it goes back. It’s been an unbelievable experience here with the Chiefs. But I’d love to get to a Super Bowl. I think the city deserves it. The organization deserves it. Coach Herm (Edwards) has been busting his tail. It’s something that I think we can get to. There’s no doubt about it. With the players that they’ve drafted and the guys that they’ve brought in, with the veteran leadership that we have on this team, it’s the first time in a long time that I feel like everybody is on the same page at this point.”

Bowser
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
It is a flat out shame that Tony Gonzalez hasn't won a playoff game in his career. I hope he doesn't retire being the Archie Manning of tight ends.

F*cking Broncos, and no instant replay back then.

Direckshun
07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Iím 95 percent sure Iíll play next year.
LET THE RETIREMENT RUMORS BEGIN.

FAX
07-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I mean, when you really stop and think about it (which I most often choose not to do), it's absolutely unfathomable that TG has never, ever won a playoff game. Ever. Jesus.

FAX

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I mean, when you really stop and think about it (which I most often choose not to do), it's absolutely unfathomable that TG has never, ever won a playoff game. Ever. Jesus.

FAX

It's even more unfathomable that he's only PLAYED in THREE.

FAX
07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Yes, Mr. OnTheWarpath58, that is truly unfathomable. I believe I am fathomed out at the moment.

By the way, I've been busy doing other stuff and noticed when I got back online that nobody is posting much this afternoon. Is there a party or something going on that I wasn't invited to?

EDIT: And where the hell is Mr. Bob Dole?

FAX

QuikSsurfer
07-28-2008, 04:54 PM
It's even more unfathomable that he's only PLAYED in THREE.

:shake:

Donger
07-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Great. The year I pretend to be a Broncos fan, the Chiefs will win the Super Bowl.

Just
my
luck

FAX
07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
On second thought. How can something be more unfathomable than unfathomable?

Unfathomable is like the ultimate in lack of fathomability. There is no friggin' greater or lesser unfathomableness than just your basic unfathomable. It is simply not possible. Therefore, Mr. OnTheWarpath58's post is ... friggin' MOOT!!!

FAX

petegz28
07-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Sounds like Gailey understand how to use that thing called an Audible. I hear about those things but have yet to see one.

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 05:12 PM
On second thought. How can something be more unfathomable than unfathomable?

Unfathomable is like the ultimate in lack of fathomability. There is no friggin' greater or lesser unfathomableness than just your basic unfathomable. It is simply not possible. Therefore, Mr. OnTheWarpath58's post is ... friggin' MOOT!!!

FAX

ROFL

InChiefsHell
07-28-2008, 05:20 PM
You know, every year TG has a positive spin on what is coming up. I don't think he's a clueless homer, I think he is just a very positive person who WANTS to believe. I appreciate that about him. It makes him like a fan, which is why we all love the guy so much.

God Bless ya Tony, and I hope you are right.

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Hall of Fame Super Hero with a Hot Wife, and all around classy guy.
Ladies and Gentleman..............................

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONYYYYY
GOOOOOONZAAAAAAAALEEEEEEZZZ

were lucky to have a guy like this on our team.

SNR
07-28-2008, 05:25 PM
I really can't think of any guy more deserving of "Let's go win this guy a ring" status than Tony (at least on this team). Hell, that ****in bullshit with Jerome Bettis in 2005? Tony's an NFL good guy and will have played just as long by the time this team gets into playoff shape.

the Talking Can
07-28-2008, 05:38 PM
GONZALEZ: “Both ways it’s important. It’s important just to help them out. I mean, why not, I’m going out so I better tell them what works for me and tell them how I do it so they can put it in their game. I just got done talking to the defensive end, the seventh-round draft choice (Brian Johnston) about work ethic and doing what it takes to be good. And they ask me those questions, I don’t even have to seek them out most of the time. Also, winding down toward the end of my career, I want them to get better, I want the learning curve shortened so we can go out there and be the best team we can be right away. I don’t know how much longer I’m going to play, I know I’m going to play this year. I’m 95 percent sure I’ll play next year. And then after that, who knows what’s going to happen. So, I’ve got to make sure that over these next few years that we put this thing together.”

great answer, Tony has always been positive on the field (yeah, the occasional throw me the damn ball whine...), even if he is supposedly a dick off of it....i think vets will be excited by all the youth once they get over it....Waters is apparently looking great, after playing like ass....having a guy like Albert next to you, and a guy like Dorsey in front of you has got bring focus...you want to teach and kick their ass all at the same time....

Hydrae
07-28-2008, 06:02 PM
He's still in contact with Kevin Lockett??? :spock:

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-28-2008, 06:07 PM
So, he's played in 3 playoff games and has had 2 TD catches stolen away from him in close games by incompetent officiating. Bummer.

InChiefsHell
07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Listen to the interview on line at KCChiefs.com...they cut over half of it on the written transcript.

KurtCobain
07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
He's still in contact with Kevin Lockett??? :spock:

They play pin-the-tail-on-elway with Marty and Gannon every friday night. It's a very kinky get together.

KChiefsQT
07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
"Weíll be a lot better than we were last year, thatís for sure.Ē

Cheers to that, let's hope this statement holds truth.

KC Tattoo
07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=Coogs;4875114]http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/28/qa_with_tony_gonzalez__728/

Q: Do you like (Offensive Coordinator) Chanís (Gailey) offense?

GONZALEZ: ďI like it. I feel like a rookie again trying to learn it. Iím in the media room before and staying after trying to get this thing down. It gives us a better advantage, in my opinion, because (QB) Brodie (Croyle) can have freedom at the line of scrimmage. He can come to the line and say the play thatís call is not going to work, so letís change it and go the other direction. Last year we didnít have that option at times. Thatís going to definitely help and give us an advantage.Ē

This is my favorite part. Hmm, change the play at line:clap: :)

Hydrae
07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=Coogs;4875114]http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/28/qa_with_tony_gonzalez__728/

Q: Do you like (Offensive Coordinator) Chanís (Gailey) offense?

GONZALEZ: ďI like it. I feel like a rookie again trying to learn it. Iím in the media room before and staying after trying to get this thing down. It gives us a better advantage, in my opinion, because (QB) Brodie (Croyle) can have freedom at the line of scrimmage. He can come to the line and say the play thatís call is not going to work, so letís change it and go the other direction. Last year we didnít have that option at times. Thatís going to definitely help and give us an advantage.Ē

This is my favorite part. Hmm, change the play at line:clap: :)

Better not let Trent see that he might start getting ideas.

Rain Man
07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
May the football gods bless Tony Gonzalez. He deserves better than he's gotten from Carl and his hunchbacked minions.

It's hard to believe he's never won a playoff game.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-28-2008, 10:14 PM
I think we should trade him since we are rebuilding anyway. Give him a chance at a Super Bowl victory somewhere else.