PDA

View Full Version : Football For those of you who wanted to sign Shane Olivea

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Just one of the many reasons why no one was interested in him has come to light...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3508592&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Recently signed New York Giants offensive tackle Shane Olivea said Monday that he was addicted to painkillers while playing for the San Diego Chargers last season.

The 26-year Olivea lost his starting job at right tackle in midseason and was eventually released by the Chargers in February, a move he said he asked the team to make.

"It's a second chance in my life and football and I'm just happy to have that opportunity," said Olivea, who was signed by the Super Bowl champions on July 10. "A lot of guys aren't given that opportunity, so I feel very blessed and very fortunate to have that opportunity."

Olivea said that he did not confront his problem until his family intervened in April, about a week before the NFL Draft. He was treated at the Betty Ford Center in California.

While under treatment, the NFL suspended him for four games for failing to take a mandatory urine test. Olivea said he was never informed he had to take the test. He appealed the suspension and it was rescinded.

A rising star who only two years ago signed a six-year, $20 million contract, Olivea indicated he used prescription pain medication for relief from a number of nagging injuries. He thought he did a good job of hiding his addiction, but he admitted his family noticed changes in him.

"I mean, the people close around me knew. I mean, I wasn't the same person," Olivea said. "You can hide a lot of things, but your real friends and real family, they know the real you. They saw a major change and thank God they did, and by the grace of God I was able to get my life turned around."

Olivea started 57 of 60 games in his four seasons with the Chargers. He is trying to make a team which is returning all five starters from the Super Bowl.

In the opening days of training camp at the University at Albany, Olivea has been playing with the third-string unit.

"I'm just starting over fresh," Olivea said. "It's a new system, new terminology, new coaching staff, so they're getting accustomed to me every day and I'm getting accustomed to them."

A Long Island native who played at Ohio State, Olivea said he worked out three times a day to get into shape.

Coach Tom Coughlin said that Olivea provides experience for a line that didn't have a lot of depth at tackle behind starters David Diehl and Kareem McKenzie.

"We are just going to have to see how he does now," Coughlin said. "You know, it's a whole new system. He has been under another system and he has got a lot of things he has to learn. He has to learn them fast, so hopefully he will be able to do that."

CoMoChief
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Brett Favre was addicted to pain killers too, so what's your point?

He's far better than anyone we have playing at RT.

FAX
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Everybody gets addicted to prescription pain killers at some point in their lives.

... don't they?

FAX

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Everybody gets addicted to prescription pain killers at some point in their lives.

... don't they?

FAX

LMAO

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM

The Giants have Kareem ****ing McKenzie as one of their tackles, and Olivea is playing with the 3rd string. Even THEY must not think that highly of him.

Like I said this is one of many reasons why no one in the league would touch him, starter or not.

Micjones
07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
*Yawn*

I'd venture to guess that he's far from the only professional athlete who has ever been addicted to painkillers.

But I'm glad we dodged that bullet. He's behind McKenzie on the depth chart in New York after all. That's every indication that he couldn't have helped a team with no real candidates for the RT job.
:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 04:27 PM
*Yawn*

I'd venture to guess that he's far from the only professional athlete who has ever been addicted to painkillers.

But I'm glad we dodged that bullet. He's behind McKenzie on the depth chart in New York after all. That's every indication that he couldn't have helped a team with no real candidates for the RT job.

How did I know you'd show up and plead your Mecca-like defense. Since others have been drug addicts, it's OK.

The point stands. If the OTHER THIRTY ONE TEAMS thought anything of the guy, he wouldn't have signed a ONE YEAR DEAL, making peanuts, to be a third teamer behind Kareem ****ing McKenzie.

But hey, you're smarter than every GM in the league, so...

CoMoChief
07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
How did I know you'd show up and plead your Mecca-like defense. Since others have been drug addicts, it's OK.

The point stands. If the OTHER THIRTY ONE TEAMS thought anything of the guy, he wouldn't have signed a ONE YEAR DEAL, making peanuts, to be a third teamer behind Kareem ****ing McKenzie.

You're the that posted this garbage and you're gonna throw a pissy fit when someone disagrees with you?

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 04:37 PM
You're the that posted this garbage and you're gonna throw a pissy fit when someone disagrees with you?

Stating facts is a pissy fit?

blueballs
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
DV would have taken the chance and made him a star /Chieffan1963

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Stating facts is a pissy fit?

Only when it gets in the way of thier whine fest.

Pablo
07-28-2008, 04:51 PM
DV would have taken the chance and made him a star /Chieffan1963I miss that guy, Chiefsfan1963; not DV.

bayarealightning
07-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I think the fact that teams waited to sign him was that he was facing a 4 game suspension. Also, when the Chargers released him, it was said that he wanted to sign with an east coast team since he is from N.Y. And lastly, you cannot say where a player will end up on a depth chart when he just signed with a new team and all of the players in front of him have been in the new system. The kid has talent, but he has to get his personal life in order to continue in the NFL.

Micjones
07-28-2008, 05:59 PM

Get off of your soapbox Rush.
The guy took painkillers because he's a professional football player for crying out loud. God knows they never have pain to be concerned with. And those meds aren't exactly addictive are they?

The things you say.

Again, you don't know that there weren't other offers.
That's an assumption.

Of course...Because GM's are never wrong. [/sarcasm]

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Get off of your soapbox Rush.
The guy took painkillers because he's a professional football player for crying out loud. God knows they never have pain to be concerned with. And those meds aren't exactly addictive are they?

The things you say.

Again, you don't know that there weren't other offers.
That's an assumption.

Of course...Because GM's are never wrong. [/sarcasm]

Pretty fair assumption, or he would have taken the better offer. He signed a 1 year deal for a whopping 100K over the league minimum for players with 4 years of service.

You're telling me he wouldn't want to start, or at least, make more money elsewhere?

Would San Diego have just outright realeased him without exploring trade offers?

Nope.

So, no interest around the league in trading for him, and even after the suspension was lifted, the best offer he could come up with was for a year at just over the league minimum?

And sure, guys take painkillers. But making excuses for a guy that became ADDICTED to them is pretty pathetic.

Micjones
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Pretty fair assumption, or he would have taken the better offer. He signed a 1 year deal for a whopping 100K over the league minimum for players with 4 years of service.

Players routinely decline offers they receive from teams they'd rather not play for. If he's good enough to play for the Superbowl Champion Giants I have to believe he's worthy of a roster spot on another NFL team.

Would San Diego have just outright realeased him without exploring trade offers?

You know we just pink-slipped a capable Safety, right?

And sure, guys take painkillers. But making excuses for a guy that became ADDICTED to them is pretty pathetic.

I'm just not shocked by it.
Brett Favre once had the same problem.

the Talking Can
07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
:cuss:

we never sign any FA!!

damn you carl!!

OnTheWarpath58
07-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Players routinely decline offers they receive from teams they'd rather not play for. If he's good enough to play for the Superbowl Champion Giants I have to believe he's worthy of a roster spot on another NFL team.

Wow.

You're really reaching.

You can't be that naive to think he's going to pass up:

a) More money and more years to play somewhere else

b) The opportunity to be a starter

Bottom line is he didn't HAVE to pass those offers up, because it's obvious to everyone but you that no such offers existed - or he would have taken them.

You know we just pink-slipped a capable Safety, right?

Which we only released AFTER exploring all trade possibilities. And ironically enough, he signed for peanuts to be a backup as well.

I'm just not shocked by it.
Brett Favre once had the same problem.

Yet, the Packers saw enough value to TRADE for him.

Thank you for strengthening my points on the rest of the league not thinking nearly as highly of him as you apparently do...

Micjones
07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
a) More money and more years to play somewhere else

b) The opportunity to be a starter

You keep glossing over the fact that the league slapped him with a 4-game suspension shortly after the Draft. Surely a quarter-of-a-season long vacation is enough to make some teams leary of bringing him in?

At the end of the day...
Shane Olivea is head and shoulders above any football player on this team vying for the Right Tackle job.

This team has no viable option there.
But since the other teams didn't want him... No point in us taking a chance on him.

acesn8s
07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
With him signing a six-year, $20 million contract just 2 years ago, I can see why no one would trade for a player facing a 4 game suspension. The article even states that he is 3rd stringer because he hasn't had time to learn a new system. Afterall, he has only been with NYG since July 10. Teams haven't even set their depth charts yet.

Let's revisit this issue in 4 weeks.

OnTheWarpath58
07-29-2008, 05:18 PM
You keep glossing over the fact that the league slapped him with a 4-game suspension shortly after the Draft. Surely a quarter-of-a-season long vacation is enough to make some teams leary of bringing him in?

At the end of the day...
Shane Olivea is head and shoulders above any football player on this team vying for the Right Tackle job.

But since the other teams didn't want him... No point in us taking a chance on him.

And you keep glossing over the fact that the suspension was lifted BEFORE he signed with the Giants, a week or two prior to signing, IIRC. Yet no one apparently offered him anymore than a 1 year deal at the league minimum, which is about what he got from the Giants.

At the end of the day...

The rest of the league apparently disagrees with your assessment of not only his talent level, but his off the field issues as well - seeing as only the Giants were willing to even sign him to a low-risk deal.

Maybe, just maybe, he's not as talented as you perceive him to be, and maybe, the league is much more concerned about his drug use/party lifestyle than you are...

He lost his job to Jeromy ****ing Clary, for Christ sakes. Forgive me, and some of the rest of us if we'd rather try to develop out own linemen before handing a job to another team's castoffs...

Molitoth
07-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm addicted to Pain killers as well.

OnTheWarpath58
07-29-2008, 05:21 PM
With him signing a six-year, $20 million contract just 2 years ago, I can see why no one would trade for a player facing a 4 game suspension. The article even states that he is 3rd stringer because he hasn't had time to learn a new system. Afterall, he has only been with NYG since July 10. Teams haven't even set their depth charts yet.

Let's revisit this issue in 4 weeks.

IIRC, he wasn't suspended until June, for a test he missed in late April.

I'd say the Chargers had plenty of time (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr) to orchestrate a trade.

OnTheWarpath58
07-29-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm addicted to Pain killers as well.

Sign 'em.

Print 'em.

acesn8s
07-29-2008, 05:24 PM

At the end of the day...

But ..but...we have....

Herb Taylor.

LiL stumppy
07-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Yuuup. I don't see the big deal if he is turning things around

Buck
07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
That makes sense, he did turn into teh suck!

Micjones
07-29-2008, 06:00 PM
And you keep glossing over the fact that the suspension was lifted BEFORE he signed with the Giants, a week or two prior to signing, IIRC.

So since teams didn't pore over him during that 18-day stretch that means he has no value to an NFL team?

I suppose the same is true of Marques Douglas, Justin Hartwig, Jason Elam, Matt Turk, and Brandon Chillar (among others)?

Yet no one apparently offered him anymore than a 1 year deal at the league minimum, which is about what he got from the Giants.

Neither of us knows whether or not other offers were on the table.

He lost his job to Jeromy ****ing Clary, for Christ sakes. Forgive me, and some of the rest of us if we'd rather try to develop out own linemen before handing a job to another team's castoffs...

Not long ago, he was considered to be one of THE best young offensive linemen in the league. He's still young and the suspension has been rescinded. We've tried developing Offensive Linemen for years with no luck. Taking a chance on one guy makes sense.

OnTheWarpath58
07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
So since teams didn't pore over him during that 18-day stretch that means he has no value to an NFL team?

I suppose the same is true of Marques Douglas, Justin Hartwig, Jason Elam, Matt Turk, and Brandon Chillar (among others)?

Neither of us knows whether or not other offers were on the table.

Not long ago, he was considered to be one of THE best young offensive linemen in the league. He's still young and the suspension has been rescinded. We've tried developing Offensive Linemen for years with no luck. Taking a chance on one guy makes sense.

:banghead:

No, only one of us is too ****ing stubborn to admit that there likely weren't any other offers, or he would have taken them.

You can't get any worse of an offer than the one he got from the Giants, save $100k.

Would you pass up a lucrative offer to be signed by Death Row, only to take a fraction of that amount, with ZERO job security, with a small independent label?

**** no, you wouldn't, and neither would Olivea.

There's not a player in the league that would pass up more money and a starting role for the league minimum and a backup's job.

bayarealightning
07-29-2008, 06:41 PM
If I am not mistaken, he signed with the Giants a day or two after being reinstated.

OnTheWarpath58
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
IIRC, he wasn't suspended until June, for a test he missed in late April.

I'd say the Chargers had plenty of time (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr) to orchestrate a trade.

Upon further review, the Chargers couldn't have traded him in March or April because he was released in February.

However, the point about him signing with another team in that timeframe stands.

The FA signing period started February 29th, and the decision to suspend Olivea wasn't made public until June.

So no one touched him for 3 months prior to the suspension.

bayarealightning
07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Not quite:

"Olivea, who failed his first drug test before last season, checked himself into the Betty Ford Center in late April and was there when the NFL notified him of another mandatory drug test. His not responding to that test counted as a failed test, and he was suspended in June.

That suspension was overturned this month, because he had admitted himself into treatment and did not receive the notice. Olivea signed with the Giants after the suspension was reversed. He is working with the third-team line in New York".

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080729-9999-1s29chnotes.html

I would thnk that all teams have information of who failed tests and/or who will be suspended.

OnTheWarpath58
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Not quite:

"Olivea, who failed his first drug test before last season, checked himself into the Betty Ford Center in late April and was there when the NFL notified him of another mandatory drug test. His not responding to that test counted as a failed test, and he was suspended in June.

That suspension was overturned this month, because he had admitted himself into treatment and did not receive the notice. Olivea signed with the Giants after the suspension was reversed. He is working with the third-team line in New York".

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080729-9999-1s29chnotes.html

I would thnk that all teams have information of who failed tests and/or who will be suspended.

OK, so according to that, the rest of the league had from February 29th to "late April" (before he checked himself into rehab) to sign him.

No one did.

Micjones
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
You can't get any worse of an offer than the one he got from the Giants, save $100k.

Again, my point was simply neither of us knows one way or the other.

Would you pass up a lucrative offer to be signed by Death Row, only to take a fraction of that amount, with ZERO job security, with a small independent label?

Please don't speak for me Albert...
I would absolutely take the offer with the indie label.
Death Row hasn't been "en vogue" in over a decade.

There's not a player in the league that would pass up more money and a starting role for the league minimum and a backup's job.

And I guess there's no chance he could've gotten an offer for the league minimum from a team (much worse than the Giants) where he would've also been a backup?

I never said he would turn down a starting job.
I don't think he would either. But I do think a bad team with an answer at Right Tackle wouldn't have been all that attractive to him.

El Jefe
07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
*Yawn*

QFT