PDA

View Full Version : Elections Shocker - the liberal media is harder on Obama than on McCain

Chiefnj2
07-29-2008, 08:21 AM
LATimes:

The Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University, where researchers have tracked network news content for two decades, found that ABC, NBC and CBS were tougher on Obama than on Republican John McCain during the first six weeks of the general-election campaign.

You read it right: tougher on the Democrat.

During the evening news, the majority of statements from reporters and anchors on all three networks are neutral, the center found. And when network news people ventured opinions in recent weeks, 28% of the statements were positive for Obama and 72% negative.

Network reporting also tilted against McCain, but far less dramatically, with 43% of the statements positive and 57% negative, according to the Washington-based media center.

patteeu
07-29-2008, 09:09 AM
When you normalize this with the fact that there are so many more negative things to say about Obama than McCain, it turns out the the media is still biased in favor of Obama. :p

HonestChieffan
07-29-2008, 09:24 AM
poor Obama. Media picking on him. Play the media card.

beer bacon
07-29-2008, 09:28 AM

Obama isn't the one whining about the media. It was McCain that spent the last week throwing a fit because he feels his girl is cheating on him with a black man.

HC_Chief
07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Simple mathematics: if you have a 20:1 or greater Obama:McCain "news report" ratio, you are bound to have a higher count of "negative" Obama stories; even if ALL the McCain "news reports" cast McCain in a negative light.

penchief
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM

I can't believe I'm hearing this coming from you. Republicans have set whining records when it comes to whining about the so-called "liberal" media.

Of course, I believe it has less to do with whining and more to do with winning. They don't really believe that the media is biased against them as much as their whining has proven to be a nice tool to manipulate a corporate media's captive audience into believing it is biased.

Taco John
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Simple mathematics: if you have a 20:1 or greater Obama:McCain "news report" ratio, you are bound to have a higher count of "negative" Obama stories; even if ALL the McCain "news reports" cast McCain in a negative light.

Republicans whine too much.

HC_Chief
07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Republicans whine too much.

Does that explain your lame "waaaah, I'm taking my ball and going home" thread? :hmmm:

HonestChieffan
07-29-2008, 10:16 AM
wait, i thought the liberals were all twisted cause the only radio guy with a lib show went broke. Now you say the right is whining?

Taco John
07-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Does that explain your lame "waaaah, I'm taking my ball and going home" thread? :hmmm:

You mean the one that happened in 2002? No, I don't think that your whinining about McCain's media coverage has anything to do with stuff that happened six years ago.

...pretty dopey to imagine it would.

HC_Chief
07-29-2008, 10:19 AM
You mean the one that happened in 2002? No, I don't think that your whinining about McCain's media coverage has anything to do with stuff that happened six years ago.

...pretty dopey to imagine it would.

1) I wasn't whining... you deny Obama "news stories" greatly outnumber McCain "new stories"?

2) I'm not a republican

3) You have a lot of nerve to call ANYTHING "dopey" after "Waaaaah, I'm going home!!" *sob*sob*

beer bacon
07-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Quantitatively, Obama has definitely had more press.

Qualitatively, McCain has done very well because many of the stories about him are simply rehashes of some talking points his campaign sent out, or something he said while drilling for oil/having a nice big sausage at the fudge haus. These stories quite often involve no factual analysis.

HC_Chief
07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Quantitatively, Obama has definitely had more press.

Qualitatively, McCain has done very well because many of the stories about him are simply rehashes of some talking points his campaign sent out, or something he said while drilling for oil/having a nice big sausage at the fudge haus. These stories quite often involve no factual analysis.

"Quite often"?

beer bacon
07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
"Quite often"?

Should I have been less subtle and just said always?

HC_Chief
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Should I have been less subtle and just said always?

It's always best to tell the truth... even when it hurts ;)

StcChief
07-29-2008, 11:07 AM
maybe the Libs are biased and pissed as the Messiah is moving to the middle.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2008, 11:17 AM

ROFL

What about a percentage is so hard to fathom??

Did they mention a raw number of stories, or a percentage of newsclips?

God, I love piss poor attempts at spin.

ROFL

HC_Chief
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
ROFL

What about a percentage is so hard to fathom??

Did they mention a raw number of stories, or a percentage of newsclips?

God, I love piss poor attempts at spin.

ROFL

Then you must definitely be in love with your own posts ;)

Mizzou_8541
07-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the thread from a couple of weeks ago that showed a graphic about media campaign contributions? I need it for one of my college courses. I tried to google it but came up with stuff from like 2 and 3 years ago.

alanm
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
You lost me at LA Times. :shake:

HolmeZz
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the thread from a couple of weeks ago that showed a graphic about media campaign contributions? I need it for one of my college courses. I tried to google it but came up with stuff from like 2 and 3 years ago.

You're going to make the argument Fox News is more favorable to the Democrats and MSNBC is more favorable to the Republicans?

Mizzou_8541
07-29-2008, 10:09 PM
You're going to make the argument Fox News is more favorable to the Democrats and MSNBC is more favorable to the Republicans?

ROFL Yeah, exactly.

We were discussing if there was bias in the media, and I wanted to present the graphic to support the claim that different news agencies support different parties.

Ultra Peanut
07-30-2008, 07:51 AM
George Mason hates America.

That's why he flew a plane carrying a nuclear device into the Mojave desert to save us all, you ungrateful pricks.