PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports My boys get Big Tex!

Carlota69
07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
The Angels have won the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes.

First baseman Casey Kotchman and Class AA right-hander Stephen Marek are headed to Atlanta in exchange for the power-hitting first baseman.

The Diamondbacks had emerged as an early front-runner for Teixeira, but the Angels maintained steady interest. They were willing to acquire Teixeira only if they did not break up the core of their roster, which has produced the best record in the majors.

In trading Teixeira for Kotchman and Marek, the Braves will receive better value than the two premium draft picks they would have received if they simply lost Teixeira as a free agent.

Kotchman, who is batting .287 this season with a career-high 12 homers, will be under the Braves' control for three more seasons.

Marek, 2-6 with a 3.66 ERA in 34 relief appearances as a reliever at Class AA, eventually projects to be a member of the Braves' bullpen.

The Angels could attempt to keep Teixeira long-term, but those negotiations could be complicated by their need to reach a new deal for right fielder Vladimir Guerrero, who is a free agent next season.

If the Angels lose Teixeira to free agency, they could simply replace him with Kendry Morales, who currently is at Class AAA. They then would receive two premium draft picks as compensation if they offered Teixeira salary arbitration.

Teixeira, a switch-hitter who plays Gold Glove-caliber defense, will provide a major boost to an Angels offense that has revived in July.

He established himself as a premier hitter while with the Texas Rangers from 2003-07. He turned down a lucrative contract extension from Texas and was traded to the Braves in June 2007.

Teixeira has a lifetime batting average of .286 with 190 total home runs. His best season was in 2005 for the Rangers, when he established career highs in average (.301), home runs (43), RBIs (144), and hits (194) and was selected to his first All-Star team. He is hitting .283 with 20 home runs and 78 RBIs this season.

I dont know how to feel about this. I love kotch, but Tex is a monster! Torn between two lovers...

DeezNutz
07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Stark was on Petro's show this afternoon and speculated that Teixeira would get a contract along the lines of 5-6 for 100-120. That would be a steal for KC, IMO, but the organization would need to consider how to fit Gload into the lineup.

88TG88
07-29-2008, 05:18 PM
The Angels are a solid franchise and this is a great move. I know the Dodgers are dead so I hope the Angels win it all this year.

RJ
07-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Great move for the Angels. Their pitching and D are as solid as any team's but they really needed a bat. they'll have a hard time signing him for next year but if the win the AL then it will still be a good trade. Kotchman doesn't look like he's going to develop power anytime soon so they really didn't give up much.

HolmeZz
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Teixeira sent the Braves organization back a few years. They essentially gave up Harrison, Andrus, Saltalamacchia, and Feliz for Casey Kotchman.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2008, 05:33 PM
The Braves got raped overall, essentially giving up Harrison, Andrus, Salty, and Feliz for basically Casey Kotchman.

Don't forget whoever would have signed Teixeira would have owed ATL their first two draft picks (round 1 and supplemental).

You couldn't make a worse move than this if you tried, especially given that the D-backs were offering Conor Jackson as opposed to Kotchman.

RJ
07-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Don't forget whoever would have signed Teixeira would have owed ATL their first two draft picks (round 1 and supplemental).

You couldn't make a worse move than this if you tried, especially given that the D-backs were offering Conor Jackson as opposed to Kotchman.

I'd rather have an established young major leaguer like Kotchman than the draft picks. MLB draft is such a crapshoot, even more than NFL. Kotchman won't be going to the HOF but he should be a consistent .300 hitter for a lot of years and probably will develop 20 HR power. Not great for a corner IF but not bad either.

Where did you hear Jackson from the D-Backs? I had read that Tracy was the player from the D-Backs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
I'd rather have an established young major leaguer like Kotchman than the draft picks. MLB draft is such a crapshoot, even more than NFL. Kotchman won't be going to the HOF but he should be a consistent .300 hitter for a lot of years and probably will develop 20 HR power. Not great for a corner IF but not bad either.

Where did you hear Jackson from the D-Backs? I had read that Tracy was the player from the D-Backs.

Oh gosh, off the top of my head, I can't recall. Yeah, the draft in MLB is an absolute crapshoot, but scouts are getting much much better at evaluating early round talent. Those draft picks can really turn around a team.

Look at the first round of the 2005 draft, for example.

HolmeZz
07-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I'd take the draft picks. Kotchman has shown no power and is not a big OBP guy. I know he plays defense, but you can find offensive production comparable to his that you can stick at first. He's just a servicable player right now.

I'd rather try and re-stock the farm.

Sully
07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Do I pronounce that, "Big TeSH?"

thurman merman
07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I love kotch

:hmmm:

RJ
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I'd take the draft picks. Kotchman has shown no power and is not a big OBP guy. I know he plays defense, but you can find offensive production comparable to his that you can stick at first. He's just a servicable player right now.

I'd rather try and re-stock the farm.

Maybe, but Kotchman is only 25. I'd rather have a guy that I know can play in the major leagues for a long time than a draft pick. And his OBP isn't great this year but last year it was .372. He'll make a nice #6 hitter, or maybe #2 for the Braves. I really think they did ok.

Mecca
07-29-2008, 06:48 PM
The Angels, a team seemingly never willing to part with prospects does and rips off the Braves....

They have the money to resign Texeira aswell so...

HolmeZz
07-29-2008, 07:17 PM
The Angels, a team seemingly never willing to part with prospects does and rips off the Braves....

They have the money to resign Texeira aswell so...

They might have the money, but they're also going to have to engage in a bidding war with the Yankees, Mets, Orioles, and maybe the Red Sox.

RJ
07-29-2008, 07:36 PM
I doubt the O's could land him but it would be nice since he's a hometown boy. Orioles fans need something/someone to cheer for, he'd fit nicely there. Not to mention that they could really use a first baseman.

HolmeZz
07-29-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't think he ends up in Baltimore either, but I'm sure they'll be in on the bidding. Boras'll pull in as many teams as he can.

Carlota69
07-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Well being a HUGE Angles fan, and watching them practically everyday, Kotchman is a GREAT player. Teixiera is a Monster granted, but Kotch will be missed. He is getting his power, he has as many doubles as Tex, and he will win a gold glove someday. Plus he's cheap. But, Atlanta did blow it, they gave up alot altogether...And as much as we love Casey, the window is NOW and I'm glad the Angels pulled the trigger. This move shores up any doubts about our offensive and plugs the one hole we had. Try getting around Tex, Vladdy and Hunter and our pitching. Whoooshhhkkkk.....this is going to be fun to watch:D

I was in Anaheim for the Boston sweep...heavenly....I hope we can pull another sweep off tonight...:)