PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Oh dear god, there's no way we're this lucky...

Direckshun
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Gretz, damn you if you get my hopes up.

http://www.bobgretz.com/?p=380#more-380

Afternoon Practice Update 7/29
July 29, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

From River Falls Wisconsin

It was a glorious summer afternoon here in the northwoods as the Chiefs went through practice No. 9. They were in shells (that’s shoulder pads and no football pants for those who haven’t been following along.)

And score one for the offense! Chan Gailey’s unit had their best practice of the training camp to date. One can almost see the light bulbs going off over the heads of some of the offensive players as they go from day-to-day. The basic Gailey offense is not very extensive and that’s all the team is working with right now. So they should get better at execution each practice because they’ve run these plays before.

That was visible on Tuesday afternoon. There were 44 plays of teamwork, not counting the two-minute drill, and the Chiefs offense had a positive result 20 times. That’s a significantly better percentage than what they’ve had in previous practices. Larry Johnson and Jackie Battle had a couple of nice, tough, grind them out runs, the kind that will be staple of this offense. Jamaal Charles also had a big-play run at left tackle.

Brodie Croyle and Tyler Thigpen took all the snaps at quarterback and both did a good job throwing the ball. Thigpen really believes in his arm and he tends to throw balls to spots that may not be what the coaches want. When he hits, it’s a big, big play. When he misses, it has the potential to go for six the other way. Croyle hit Devard Darling with a TD pass as both units worked on their scoring zone (inside the 20) schemes.

It was interesting watching the defense. First, the team was short on defensive ends as Tamba Hali, Trevor Johnson and Brian Johnston were all out of practice. None of the injuries is serious. Hali suffered a cut on his forehead from his helmet on the first day of practice and despite the stiches, it has been reopened every practice. So he’s being held out to allow that to heal. Johnson took a blow to the head yesterday and was a bit out of it today and Johnston had a sore shoulder. Turk McBride was back after missing yesterday’s work with a tummy ache.

Also, Pat Thomas was running with the first team at middle linebacker. Napoleon Harris ran with the second team. :eek: In the action, Demorrio Williams kept showing up and making plays. Jarrad Page was back in action after dinging his knee yesterday, but he dropped an interception.

Chiefs finished the practice with another two-minute drill session. The situation: offense had the ball at the defense’s 48-yard line, down by four, with one timeout left and 48 seconds on the clock. Handling the first team, Croyle was able to get two first downs, but was sacked on the last play. With the No. 2 offense against the No. 2 defense, Thigpen took it in for a TD, set up by his 23-yard scramble up the middle of the field. He eventually threw a TD pass to TE Brad Cottam. WR Bobby Sippio almost blew that chance when he caught a pass at the 7-yard line, and instead of running out of bounds to stop the clock, he turned into the field, costing his team at least 10 seconds on the clock. Not a smart move by Sippio.

Two more practices coming on Wednesday in the Falls.

Count Alex's Losses
07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah that was a really dumb play by Sippio. Thigpen did a nice job getting them lined up for a spike with 3 ticks left.

SNR
07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Sippio was probably looking for the floor boards so he could grind his way in for the TD like he does in half of his arena highlights

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Hmmm, anyone know anything about this Pat Thomas??

Mecca
07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
If Nap Harris is worse than Pat Thomas why don't they just cut him.

Direckshun
07-29-2008, 09:29 PM
If Nap Harris is worse than Pat Thomas why don't they just cut him.
Nap Harris was part of a second team defense that got scored on by the terror of Tyler Thigpen.

DaneMcCloud
07-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah that was a really dumb play by Sippio. Thigpen did a nice job getting them lined up for a spike with 3 ticks left.

Dude, your avatar is so disturbing...

the Talking Can
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
good news

and bad news....we now have an udfa starting at MLB....

Mecca
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
All I know about Pat Thomas is he was a backup on Jacksonville before being on the Chiefs.

Ok I looked it up, he was drafted in the 6th round in 2005 by Jacksonville he went to college at NC State.

In 50 career games at North Carolina State University with 36 starts, he recorded 334 tackles, 38 tackles for a loss, 15.5 sacks and five forced fumbles.

Count Alex's Losses
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
For the second time...NAPOLEON HARRIS HAS NOT BEEN DEMOTED.

LiL stumppy
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM
That cat from USC is looking better and better as the year goes along.

Mecca
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM

He probably should be seeing as he's garbage.

the Talking Can
07-29-2008, 09:36 PM

no one cares, douchebag....do we need your permission to talk football here?

you fat ****wad

we're just thrilled at possibility

Direckshun
07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
All I know about Pat Thomas is he was a backup on Jacksonville before being on the Chiefs.

Ok I looked it up, he was drafted in the 6th round in 2005 by Jacksonville he went to college at NC State.

In 50 career games at North Carolina State University with 36 starts, he recorded 334 tackles, 38 tackles for a loss, 15.5 sacks and five forced fumbles.
Holy jesus.

Do our coaches have a hard on for NC State or what.

Count Alex's Losses
07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
no one cares, douchebag....

You should care. You were sitting there a moment ago thinking Napoleon Harris had been permanently demoted. He hasn't.

Mecca
07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Holy jesus.

Do our coaches have a hard on for NC State or what.

Yea but see we don't have the one who was really worth having in Mario Williams.

aturnis
07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
You should care. You were sitting there a moment ago thinking Napoleon Harris had been permanently demoted. He hasn't.

If he wasn't, then why has he been running with the second team?

Count Alex's Losses
07-29-2008, 10:14 PM
If he wasn't, then why has he been running with the second team?

Because they haven't decided on a starter.

StcChief
07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Let's see this play out.... I'd love to see the best man win job. Thomas/Nappy Harris doesn't matter.

Mecca
07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Because they haven't decided on a starter.

I think that right there should pretty much be a sign of the crappyness of Nap Harris.

Count Alex's Losses
07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I think that right there should pretty much be a sign of the crappyness of Nap Harris.

CHIEFS SUCK!

aturnis
07-29-2008, 10:24 PM
howsabout... as of this point in time it appears that Pat Thomas is the starter. Does that work?

Mecca
07-29-2008, 10:24 PM
CHIEFS SUCK!

Nap Harris sucks, be correct about what I said.

Count Alex's Losses
07-29-2008, 10:25 PM
howsabout... as of this point in time it appears that Pat Thomas is the starter. Does that work?

Nope. Harris has spent more time as the starter overall.

aturnis
07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
You mean he did...until recently, when he didn't

Count Alex's Losses
07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
You mean he did...until recently, when he didn't

Yes, today was Pat's turn at MLB.

Tomorrow it could be Harris again.

aturnis
07-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Wasn't yesterday his turn also?

Count Alex's Losses
07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Look, take it from someone who's here. Nap is not the MLB. Pat is not the MLB. It's undecided. Probably won't be decided until preseason.

aturnis
07-29-2008, 10:49 PM
I understand your unwillingness to commit your opinion given then situation. You being a reporter on the subject, and so many people on this board's habit of crucifying you when you're opinions or gut feeling don't materialize or end up being true. It makes sense.

Though if the depth chart were updated daily, Pat Thomas's name would have been listed at the top of the column marked MLB. If only tentatively penciled in as the Starting middle man.

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Competition is good nonetheless. Make these guys earn it.

blueballs
07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Sippio is willing to look bad so the youngsters can learn
be nervous Bowe
be nervous

Stryker
07-30-2008, 07:24 AM
I understand your unwillingness to commit your opinion given then situation. You being a reporter on the subject, and so many people on this board's habit of crucifying you when you're opinions or gut feeling don't materialize or end up being true. It makes sense.

Though if the depth chart were updated daily, Pat Thomas's name would have been listed at the top of the column marked MLB. If only tentatively penciled in as the Starting middle man.

ROFL

Who's on first? Third base!

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

Demonpenz
07-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I like hearing about the tough runs we are going to need to grind out some yards to keep that clock moving and control the ball

kstater
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Nap Harris is the new LJ/Huard to goatboy, let him be.

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Were as Thigpen is the new :Scanlon: of Chiefsplanet...

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Not even close. In fact I have glowing things to say about Pat Thomas today.

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Not even close. In fact I have glowing things to say about Pat Thomas today.
Let me guess? You snuck into the shower with PT today?

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2008, 12:52 PM
He's dreamy...and creamy...

Redrum_69
07-30-2008, 12:53 PM
here ya go claythan,

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2008/07/30/stang.holy.cat.wndu

KCrockaholic
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
What the F happened to Donnie Edwards as the MLB??? I was looking forward to the LB's looking like this... WLB- DJ MLB- Donnie SLB - Williams ... WTF? i want Harris Gone! ill take Pat Thomas over Harris, anytime...he's an ex-Raider for damns sakes..of course he sucks!

Mecca
07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Apparently Williams was signed to be a backup or it was a pre-emptive plan for this being Edwards last year.

aturnis
07-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Were as Thigpen is the new :Scanlon: of Chiefsplanet...

Fug Thigpen, Brian Johnston is my blue collar hero this year!

KCTitus
07-30-2008, 07:32 PM
It's camp...everything is rosy during camp...Then the preseason games show a listless and confused offense completely unable to move the ball against even the worst of teams last year.

We are reminded that "it's only preseason" and "the team never shows anything in preseason" so we continue to believe the reports from practice that the offense is coming around. More preseason games follow with the same listless and confused look, only more infrequent, as they play the 2nd, 3rd and grocery baggers.

Time comes for the regular season and after all the preparation and 'hiding' of our offensive game plan, the team comes out and runs a pee wee level offense of Run, Run, Incomplete Pass and punt for the first three quarters to 'protect' Croyle. Once down by more than 17 pts and in the 4th quarter, the offense goes into chuck it mode against a prevent defense for a garbage touchdown with less than 2 minutes to play.

Rinse and repeat week in and out...until the Chiefs are eliminated from playoff contention the first week of November.

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
It's camp...everything is rosy during camp...Then the preseason games show a listless and confused offense completely unable to move the ball against even the worst of teams last year.

We are reminded that "it's only preseason" and "the team never shows anything in preseason" so we continue to believe the reports from practice that the offense is coming around. More preseason games follow with the same listless and confused look, only more infrequent, as they play the 2nd, 3rd and grocery baggers.

Time comes for the regular season and after all the preparation and 'hiding' of our offensive game plan, the team comes out and runs a pee wee level offense of Run, Run, Incomplete Pass and punt for the first three quarters to 'protect' Croyle. Once down by more than 17 pts and in the 4th quarter, the offense goes into chuck it mode against a prevent defense for a garbage touchdown with less than 2 minutes to play.

Rinse and repeat week in and out...until the Chiefs are eliminated from playoff contention the first week of November.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3590/guninmouthnl4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-30-2008, 08:52 PM
What the F happened to Donnie Edwards as the MLB??? I was looking forward to the LB's looking like this... WLB- DJ MLB- Donnie SLB - Williams ... WTF? i want Harris Gone! ill take Pat Thomas over Harris, anytime...he's an ex-Raider for damns sakes..of course he sucks!

I don't think the team ever planned on moving donnie to MLB. I think that was just speculation on this site...Anyway Williams is just depth for now at OLB. Hopefully Thomas will beat out Harris.

BigRock
07-30-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't think the team ever planned on moving donnie to MLB. I think that was just speculation on this site...

I think it came from Adam "crystal ball" Teicher. Has Donnie even lined up once at MLB this offseason? I honestly don't know.

rambleonthruthefog
07-30-2008, 09:13 PM

i hate you.

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I think it came from Adam "crystal ball" Teicher. Has Donnie even lined up once at MLB this offseason? I honestly don't know.

Nope.

FAX
07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Nap is crap and can't play the gap, get off on the snap, wrap, or carry Pat's strap without a map. I'll bet he's chapped. I'll clap if we scrap Nap and trap some cap.

FAX

KCUnited
07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Pat "Smear" Thomas

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 10:47 PM

:clap: God I love Herman!