PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs expecting more from Croyle this season

Tribal Warfare
07-30-2008, 01:56 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/726362.html

Chiefs expecting more from Croyle this season
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | Under different circumstances, the Chiefs would have expected more from Brodie Croyle in last season’s six starts than zero wins and six interceptions.

With their woeful offensive line and feeble running game, they weren’t particularly disappointed Croyle didn’t show more.

Among the many changes with this year’s Chiefs, they’re expecting a lot more from their starting quarterback. Croyle would be wise to provide it, and quickly.

“I want to see him in games, the preseason games, move the team down the field and score,” coach Herm Edwards said. “That’s not just on him. We’ve got to protect him and we’ve got to be able to run it. But he needs to get some confidence and get the team into the end zone.”

The Chiefs scored just seven touchdowns in Croyle’s six starts. They were being shut out in Detroit when Croyle left that game because of a sore throwing hand.

“You play the cards you’re dealt,” Croyle said. “You don’t always have the ideal situation. Even though we didn’t play as (well) as we wanted to and we didn’t win games, it was a big step. There’s a lot to learn in this league.

“In college, you might be able to get (a pass) into a certain hole. I tried it last year and it didn’t work out too (well). It’s when you start making the same mistakes that you get yourself into trouble.”

The Chiefs realized last year they were placing Croyle into the worst possible situation for a young quarterback. But they were desperate to save a season quickly going awry.

It didn’t work, but the Chiefs were able to get Croyle some exposure.

“I don’t know if it’s ever a fair test when you get thrown into a situation like that,” quarterbacks coach Dick Curl said. “But it’s always good to play. You have to play the game to see how it works and what goes on.”

They’re hoping to see the payoff from that decision this year.

“He’s a little quicker with his decisions,” Curl said. “That’s a plus. That’s what has to happen. Every day, it’s just a little bit faster and the ball is gone. That’s important. It’s the difference between a completion and an interception.

“He’s becoming more of a leader. He’s never going to be an outward leader. That’s not his personality. But he’s realizing what the opportunities are in front of him.”

Croyle split the first-team snaps in camp last year with Damon Huard, but he will get them all this year. Next to a healthy return of running back Larry Johnson and dramatic improvement from the offensive line, that’s the best gift the Chiefs could provide to Croyle.

“As a quarterback, you want to be the leader of the offense,” Croyle said. “You want people to believe in you. It’s a whole lot easier to do that when you know you’re the starter and your teammates know you’re the starter. When you’re competing for a job, it’s not that the team’s divided, but certain guys believe in one guy and certain guys believe in another.”

Croyle established a nice pitch-and-catch relationship last year with Dwayne Bowe, who caught 41 of his 70 receptions after the Chiefs made the change at quarterback.

Croyle must now do the same with Tony Gonzalez, who got just 27 of his 99 catches in games quarterbacked by Croyle.

“Getting Brodie comfortable with me is big, and that’s what this camp is for, I guess, for him and me to get on the same page,” Gonzalez said. “So far, so good. Brodie’s got a cannon and he likes to throw that thing in there. Damon is more of a touch guy. You get used to different speeds.

“The Jet game last year, me and Brodie, sometimes it just wasn’t working. When I was open, it wasn’t where I like it and I think he’s going to figure it out and I’m going to figure out where he likes to throw it.”

DaneMcCloud
07-30-2008, 01:59 AM
WOW!

The Chiefs are expecting more from Croyle this year?

Holy shit! Stop the presses!

Someone, PLEASE fire this worthless douchebag immediately.

I think he's Nick Athan's Dad.

J Diddy
07-30-2008, 02:04 AM
WOW!

I think he's Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan's Dad.

dude adam's the feelgood story writer and whitlocks the cocksucker

deal with it and you'll be alright

DaneMcCloud
07-30-2008, 02:08 AM
dude adam's the feelgood story writer and whitlocks the cocksucker

NEVER! :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

o:-)

J Diddy
07-30-2008, 02:11 AM
NEVER! :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

o:-)

fwiw, i like teicher, but i read the headline and said "no shit"

like ****ing not winning a game was the level and he's not expected to improve

Guru
07-30-2008, 02:16 AM
I prefer Posnanski myself.

J Diddy
07-30-2008, 02:19 AM
I prefer Posnanski myself.

jo po is cool

but teich gets the ladies hot

he's got a bike

BigRedChief
07-30-2008, 07:17 AM
WOW!

I think he's Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan's Dad.
No chit. News at 11.

The good news is that formerdb arrives in camp today.:clap:

DaKCMan AP
07-30-2008, 07:33 AM
he's got a bike

with no handlebars

Arrowhead Pride
07-30-2008, 07:50 AM
fwiw, i like teicher, but i read the headline and said "no shit"

like ****ing not winning a game was the level and he's not expected to improve

I don't think beat writers choose their own headlines.

milkman
07-30-2008, 08:02 AM
No chit. News at 11.

Halle****inglujah!

DaKCMan AP
07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
I don't think beat writers choose their own headlines.

No, generally the editor chooses headlines. Regardless, it's a "really, ya think?" type article.

InChiefsHell
07-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Well, it IS a "no duh" article...but I will say that for me anyway, I've been pimpin' Croyle just to get this chance. If he blows it this season...later, Brodie. Hot wife and all...

kepp
07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Print 'em

Rausch
07-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Why did Croyle play six games with Gonzo and somehow not figure out where/when/how he likes the ball?

He's our no 1 target. Period. Full package.

You ****ing find out where he wants the ball, where he likes to eat, what his top 10 songs are, and what hotel soap he prefers on the road.

Messier
07-30-2008, 08:19 AM
dude Adam's the feelgood story writer and whitlocks the cocksucker

No, Teicher is the beat writer for the Chiefs. It's really not his job to inject his opinion into stories but he does it anyway. I long for the day we get a new beat writer, on that actually seems to like football.

ChiefGator
07-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Why did Croyle play six games with Gonzo and somehow not figure out where/when/how he likes the ball?

Huard and Gonzalez always seemed to be on the right page. I always had this feeling that Huard threw to Gonzo more than any of our other QB's over the last three years. Just fed him the ball when he was in trouble.

Seems like Croyle got that way with Bowe.

Rausch
07-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Huard and Gonzalez always seemed to be on the right page. I always had this feeling that Huard threw to Gonzo more than any of our other QB's over the last three years. Just fed him the ball when he was in trouble.

Seems like Croyle got that way with Bowe.

Completely agree. That's definitely the way it looked.

Huard didn't always make great decisions but even in a crowd he seemed to throw it where Gonzo could make a play on it. I'd argue he trusted Gonzo too much, but it was clear he knew what he had to do to help Gonzo make the play.

Probably more vet stuff than talent/performance stuff, but it's stuff Croyle needs to understand he should know...

LiL stumppy
07-30-2008, 09:00 AM
uh, duh?

StcChief
07-30-2008, 09:10 AM

You ****ing find out where he wants the ball, where he likes to eat, what his top 10 songs are, and what hotel soap he prefers on the road.
yeah my thoughts too...

the 6 games 25-99 completion ~1/4 what took so long,

The last one, the Jets game he comes out.....

so now 2008 we have the Thigpen backup ........ better get him reps with 1st team, Croyle may not last the year.

milkman
07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
uh, duh?

This, coming from this source, tells you all you need to know about this article.

Deberg_1990
07-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Somebody needs to tell Teicher: We just landed on the MOON!!!!

penguinz
07-30-2008, 09:49 AM
No chit. News at 11.

The good news is that formerdb arrives in camp today.:clap:You have a serious hard-on for formerdb.

DeezNutz
07-30-2008, 09:52 AM
No chit. News at 11.

Who is formerdb? I'm assuming his username is aptly chosen, so where did he play? Several folks have alluded to his football knowledge, so I was wondering if someone could expound upon this? Thanks.

DaKCMan AP
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Who is formerdb? I'm assuming his username is aptly chosen, so where did he play? Several folks have alluded to his football knowledge, so I was wondering if someone could expound upon this? Thanks.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/wtaenewsteam/301746/detail.html

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=185703

milkman
07-30-2008, 10:08 AM

He played semi-pro ball, and is now TV news reporter in Pittsburg.

He uses his press pass to get close to the action on the field and to get some really interesting interviews.

His observations aren't always correct, but he provides far better, more detailed information than we get from anyone else.

DeezNutz
07-30-2008, 10:13 AM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/wtaenewsteam/301746/detail.html

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=185703

He played semi-pro ball, and is now TV news reporter in Pittsburg.

He uses his press pass to get close to the action on the field and to get some really interesting interviews.

His observations aren't always correct, but he provides far better, more detailed information than we get from anyone else.

Thanks, gents.

J Diddy
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
No, Teicher is the beat writer for the Chiefs. It's really not his job to inject his opinion into stories but he does it anyway. I long for the day we get a new beat writer, on that actually seems to like football.

everybody's got to be unhappy about something

first gretz

now teicher

i guess everyone gave up on moving whitlocks fat ass

blueballs
07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
teicher writes the feel good stories
I hope that was sarcasm

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2008, 11:50 AM
The Chiefs are expecting more from Croyle, but they won't get it.

Everyone says if LJ were in there, he'd be better off. Kolby Smith had 158 yards last season vs. Oakland and we still lost the game...at HOME. He had nine chances to win a game last year. David Carr sucks (not as bad as Croyle obviously) and in his first starts in the league he got some wins.

Croyle doesn't have "it" to make it in this league as a starter. The Chiefs are wasting their time, and we will see that this year.

DaKCMan AP
07-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Everyone says if LJ were in there, he'd be better off. Kolby Smith had 158 yards last season vs. Oakland and we still lost the game...at HOME. He had nine chances to win a game last year. David Carr sucks (not as bad as Croyle obviously) and in his first starts in the league he got some wins.

Croyle doesn't have "it" to make it in this league as a starter. The Chiefs are wasting their time, and we will see that this year.

kthanks

Count Alex's Wins
07-30-2008, 11:53 AM

STOP

milkman
07-30-2008, 12:01 PM

I can't even begin to guess why you haven't been hired by some NFL team for your superior talent evaluation skills.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2008, 12:17 PM
STOP

hehe :)

When you leaving River Falls? I should be up there to help cover it the last week of camp.

Count Alex's Wins
07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
hehe :)

When you leaving River Falls? I should be up there to help cover it the last week of camp.

I'm leaving on the 7th.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm leaving on the 7th.

Ahhh u suck.

milkman
07-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Ahhh u suck.

Be honest.

You were hoping he was gonna be there long enough to get a little sample of that Vanilla Thunder, weren't ya?

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 12:33 PM

So whats the answer?

Deberg_1990
07-30-2008, 12:34 PM

If your right then the Chiefs will be picking top 3 in 09 with a nice shot a top tier QB for once.

If he improves then so will the Chiefs win total.

So its a win win situation all around.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Be honest.

You were hoping he was gonna be there long enough to get a little sample of that Vanilla Thunder, weren't ya?

just don't tell anyone

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2008, 12:40 PM
If your right then the Chiefs will be picking top 3 in 09 with a nice shot a top tier QB for once.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he's the shit! It would be more beneficial if he were awesome, we could use that pick on someone else. I'm rooting for him, but I just don't feel like it's going to work out.

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I hope he's the shit! It would be more beneficial if he were awesome, we could use that pick on someone else. I'm rooting for him, but I just don't feel like it's going to work out.
Well no offense VT, but with Herm and Dicky Curls coaching a young QB, This is a pretty easy call to make. Kid hasnt much of a chance....

Count Alex's Wins
07-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Dude, once the 7th passes it's all about preseason.

Mecca
07-30-2008, 12:58 PM

There isn't a QB worth a top 5 pick next year...

InChiefsHell
07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
There isn't a QB worth a top 5 pick next year...

And that makes a difference to the Chiefs because...:spock:

:D

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Dude, once the 7th passes it's all about preseason.

no shit

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
So whats the answer?

New coach, new staff, new direction, new GM, new janitors, new office people, you name it. Should've been done a long time ago. The culture at One Arrowhead Drive is a losing culture. Cleaning house will begin the resurrection, then comes the QB of which our new guys will evaluate, as well as the rest of the talent and make the best of what we do have.

If we have another season like last year, our dreams will come true with Herm and Carl being canned. Clark will have no choice and the house cleaning will come sooner than expected.

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
New coach, new staff, new direction, new GM, new janitors, new office people, you name it. Should've been done a long time ago. The culture at One Arrowhead Drive is a losing culture. Cleaning house will begin the resurrection, then comes the QB of which our new guys will evaluate, as well as the rest of the talent and make the best of what we do have.

If we have another season like last year, our dreams will come true with Herm and Carl being canned. Clark will have no choice and the house cleaning will come sooner than expected.
:clap:

Your my new hero!

Deberg_1990
07-30-2008, 10:52 PM

As long as Arrowhead keeps filling up every Sunday, where is the incentive to change??

If we have another year like last year or worse, the local blackouts will come and then finally change will come with it. Money talks, or lack thereof.

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
As long as Arrowhead keeps filling up every Sunday, where is the incentive to change??

If we have another year like last year or worse, the local blackouts will come and then finally change will come with it. Money talks, or lack thereof.

I could see season ticket sales going out the roof IF Clark mans up and cleans house, but there is still enough TRUE FANS to keep arrowhead somewhat full on sundays.