PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Got a new HDTV

Sure-Oz
07-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Samsung 46" LCD 1080p/120hz LN46A650

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A650-46-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B001413D94/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217397489&sr=8-1

Went to Nebraska Furniture Mart last night looking for a bigger hdtv, since the gf has a 32" 1080p Sharp Aquos, and ended up with this. Worth every damn cent...haven't seen such high quality image ever in a tv. Rich and dark colors are amazing and a very easy tv to setup. The guy told me it was one of the best on the market and i'd have no regrets. Well the reviews on amazon say it all. Watched Transformers HD to start off and jaw dropping...and then went on to watch Spiderman 3 Blu Ray, it was like watching those movies all over again for the first time even though ive watched them on parents 65" DLP and it doesn't come close to this.

Also updated the firmware via memory stick and made sure to get a 4 year service plan.

Anyone in the market for a new hdtv i suggest this puppy, or atleast take a look and compare it to the others next to it, it will stand out!

Anyway i thought i'd just boast my big purchase, im excited to watch Mizzou football, Bluray movies and watch the chiefs suck in super high definition....yes!:D

Guru
07-30-2008, 02:09 AM
how much? Hell ya told us everything else about it. Why leave that little nugget to a link click. heh

Sure-Oz
07-30-2008, 02:12 AM
how much? Hell ya told us everything else about it. Why leave that little nugget to a link click. heh

LOL, sorry....it cost me a little over $1800.00 and $240 for the service plan, it was on sale! :)

Guru
07-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Just giving ya a little crap. You'll love the purchase.

Jewish Rabbi
07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
I went with the Sammy 40' A450...Only 720p but hell of a lot cheaper, and sitting right next to the 1080p 550 in the store, I couldn't tell the difference.

On a sidenote, I got a Logitech Harmony remote last night. OH. MY. GOD. I don't know how I've lived without it my whole life.

Pablo
07-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Samsungs are teh seck-siness.

Everyone I know who's bought one has been more than satisfied, myself included.

Anyong Bluth
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Got the same one July 3rd. LOVE IT! WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Got mine for $1457 total!

By the way, I hope you've calibrated it! Check out AVS Forums

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1007540

The 750 calibration thread will give you the same settings since it's the same set, by the way. Makes a huge difference. I haven't had one person over that hasn't been blown away by the picture quality.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31jN7rbI5hL._SS400_.jpg

Sure-Oz
07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Got the same one July 3rd. LOVE IT! WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Got mine for $1457 total!

By the way, I hope you've calibrated it! Check out AVS Forums

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1007540

The 750 calibration thread will give you the same settings since it's the same set, by the way. Makes a huge difference. I haven't had one person over that hasn't been blown away by the picture quality.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31jN7rbI5hL._SS400_.jpg

I have never calibrated a tv before, is it a huge difference? I just updated it to the latest firmware, 2001.3 i think it was. Does that matter? I also noticed there is a thread specifically for our tv but there are multiple calibrations. I assume you can go back to factory defaults by a push of a button right?

I am extremely pleased on how it looks now, if calibrating it makes it that much better, please post the calibrations link or yours maybe? Does it matter what mode its in, like hdtv cable, or hddvd/bluray/games on the calibrated settings?

And yes Samsung is the shit.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I went with the Sammy 40' A450...Only 720p but hell of a lot cheaper, and sitting right next to the 1080p 550 in the store, I couldn't tell the difference.

On a sidenote, I got a Logitech Harmony remote last night. OH. MY. GOD. I don't know how I've lived without it my whole life.

The 650 and 750 you'll tell the difference :)

irishjayhawk
07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
If only Samsung made their phones as good as their televisions.

Pablo
07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
If only Samsung made their phones as good as their televisions.This is true.

The same goes for LG. Owning an LG phone was a big reason for me not even factoring LG into the equation when purchasing a new TV. If they put so little effort into a $150 phone, I wasn't willing to trust the company with a $1,000 TV.

I have a Samsung phone at the moment. No problem with the functionality, but I do hate the design. The TV works great.

KcMizzou
07-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Congrats man... Got a 42" Samsung plasma recently, myself...

DeezNutz
07-30-2008, 06:22 PM
What a piece of shit tv.

I keed. Congrats!

irishjayhawk
07-30-2008, 06:23 PM
This is true.

The same goes for LG. Owning an LG phone was a big reason for me not even factoring LG into the equation when purchasing a new TV. If they put so little effort into a $150 phone, I wasn't willing to trust the company with a $1,000 TV.

I have a Samsung phone at the moment. No problem with the functionality, but I do hate the design. The TV works great.

LG TVs are actually better than Samsung in tests. At least they had been last I heard.

Anyong Bluth
07-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

LG better than Samsung. Not even close. Do alittle more homework

Jewish Rabbi
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

No way dude. Go into a TV store, not a Best Buy or Wal Mart, but a TV store. Look at the TVs. Sony comes the closest to Samsungs, I'd rank LG behind Toshibas even.

irishjayhawk
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
No way dude. Go into a TV store, not a Best Buy or Wal Mart, but a TV store. Look at the TVs. Sony comes the closest to Samsungs, I'd rank LG behind Toshibas even.

Sony's are superb. However, you pay way too much for the brand.

irishjayhawk
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

:shrug:

Most people I know and the things I've read online say LGs are very good.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Congrats man... Got a 42" Samsung plasma recently, myself...

Appreciate it, im loving every second of watching movies on it so far...:D

Pablo
07-31-2008, 12:26 AM
LG TVs are actually better than Samsung in tests. At least they had been last I heard.Eh...the ol' eye test tells me Samsungs are the best, followed up by Sony, then Sharp, then LG, then Toshibas.

That's just my opinion. I believe Samsung has a life-long customer outta me, given this TV doesn't have any major issues.

Jewish Rabbi
07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Eh...the ol' eye test tells me Samsungs are the best, followed up by Sony, then Sharp, then LG, then Toshibas.

That's just my opinion. I believe Samsung has a life-long customer outta me, given this TV doesn't have any major issues.

Oh no! I agree with a Kansas fan! :eek:

Pablo
07-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Oh no! I agree with a Kansas fan! :eek:Yeah, you might spit out a "does not compute" error here in a second then your head will explode.

It'll grow back.

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me clarify that I was saying Samsung is tops. That's why I bought one. Just so everyone knows you can't take a lot from going to a store and simply eyeballing without adjust the the settings closer to a professional calibration. Most stores usually just set tv's to dynamic mode and you.ll never get a real look at what the set's performance is in that setting. Other than the Kuros, the Sammy discussed in this thread is the prettiest picture made hands down. My cousin has a kuro and is even blown away by some of the features. the double refresh rate, AMP, etc. Should be interested to see what the kuro II's look like when they come out.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me clarify that I was saying Samsung is tops. That's why I bought one. Just so everyone knows you can't take a lot from going to a store and simply eyeballing without adjust the the settings closer to a professional calibration. Most stores usually just set tv's to dynamic mode and you.ll never get a real look at what the set's performance is in that setting. Other than the Kuros, the Sammy discussed in this thread is the prettiest picture made hands down. My cousin has a kuro and is even blown away by some of the features. the double refresh rate, AMP, etc. Should be interested to see what the kuro II's look like when they come out.

Not sure if you read my original post but is there a way you can post your calibrated settings or help me find the link to the settings you used? I have a decently lit room but not too bright.

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

sure, when i get back from court

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Sony's are superb. However, you pay way too much for the brand.

Sony's and Samsungs are made in the same factory. There is no difference other than the name.

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Sony's and Samsungs are made in the same factory. There is no difference other than the name.

Not true, in part. Samsung makes the panels for Sony, yes. But Samsung makes around 70% of all the world's LCD panels, including others.

What sets them apart is the internals, just like in a computer, you've got processing speeds, graphics cards, etc...

Trust me, Sony these days is running a distant 2nd to Samsung in PQ (picture quality) when it comes to high end sets. Most people won't really care one way or anther unless it's something you're interested in and do the AV research, but right now Samsung is owning. BTW, this is coming from a lifelong Sony guy. Grew up with Sony's and only bought Sony until this one. This set is UNBELIEVABLE.

CALIBRATION SETTINGS WILL BE POSTED IN A BIT. Have to scour for them.

I have service mode settings too to even tweak some other stuff if you want? It's not necessary, and there is the risk that it could void your warranty, b/c there is a way to delete the service log to show you've been in there, but it's not confirmed that will totally cover your ass... just let me know...

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2008, 10:38 AM
While Samsungs and Sony (especially Bravia) have outstanding pictures, I'm extremely happy with my Olevia for 1/3 the price.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 10:38 AM
No prob, i just want the calibrations...i assume ill notice a difference? I also assume it wont matter what mode the tv is in for this as well? like hd tv, bluray, etc. oh, and thanks!

HC_Chief
07-31-2008, 10:42 AM
The Samsungs are very nice. I have a 61" DLP and 42" Plasma.

The 39" LCD is a Sharp Aquos (also very nice)

Pablo
07-31-2008, 10:42 AM
While Samsungs and Sony (especially Bravia) have outstanding pictures, I'm extremely happy with my Olevia for 1/3 the price.You just keep telling yourself that, buddy. ;)

1/3?

A buddy of mine bought a 32" Olevia for somewhere in the low to mid 500 range.
My 32" Samsung was around $800. But I have a 4 series Samsung, so they aren't that expensive.

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2008, 10:45 AM
1/3?

A buddy of mine bought a 32" Olevia for somewhere in the low to mid 500 range.
My 32" Samsung was around $800. But I have a 4 series Samsung, so they aren't that expensive.

I bought a 42" Olevia for $699 back in November. The SAME tv is still selling at the SAME place I bought it for $999.99 today.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
I bought a 42" Olevia for $699 back in November. The SAME tv is still selling at the SAME place I bought it for $999.99 today.

720p or 1080p

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2008, 10:47 AM
720p or 1080p

1080i (720p)

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Alright get ready for the flood of information: (I'm not kidding)

I'm going to post a number of setting for you, both for Standard and Movie modes. Based on your lighting situation and personal preference you can see what you like best. These are professional calibration settings, but keep in mind no TV when properly calibrated will have the same setting due to manufacturer's variation and viewing environments. So play with them, and see what you like best, but realize you'll be getting WAY better PQ than doing this on a simple eye test!

1st Standard Mode settings:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cpc029%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} pre {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Standard Mode: (I use this one)
Backlight = 3 (You can bump it up to 4 or 5 depending how bright your room is)
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 43
Sharpness = 3 or 10 (personal preference)
Color = 55 or 50 (personal preference)
Tint = G50/R50

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Off
Dynamic Contrast = High
Gamma = +2
Color Space = Custom
Red
R = 30
G = 0
B = 1
Green
R = 26
G = 46
B = 0
Blue
R = 9
G = 0
B = 41
Cyan
R = 30
G = 47
B = 56
Magenta
R = 38
G = 0
B = 58
Yellow
R = 60
G = 48
B = 0
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = On
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 28
G-Offset = 25
B-Offset = 21
R-Gain = 25
G-Gain = 25
B-Gain = 29

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Cool1
Digital N/R = High (For your personal taste "Optional")
HDMI Black Level = Low (Get HDMI 1.3 cable and it’ll set it perfectly automatically)
Movie Plus = High (personal taste? Optional)
Blue Mode = Off

Energy Saving = Off
Entertainment modes = Off
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
<o></o>
<o>2nd Settings
</o>

Picture <o></o>
-------<o></o>
Mode: Standard<o></o>
Backlight: 5<o></o>
Contrast: 90<o></o>
Brightness: 40<o></o>
Sharpness: 20<o></o>
Color: 50<o></o>
Tint: G50/R50<o></o>
<o></o>
Detailed Settings<o></o>
-----------------<o></o>
Black Adjust: High<o></o>
Dynamic Contrast: Low<o></o>
Gamma: 0
<o></o>
Color Space: Custom<o></o>
-------------------<o></o>
Color Space = Custom
Red
R = 55
G = 0
B = 1
Green
R = 26
G = 46
B = 0
Blue
R = 9
G = 0
B = 41
Cyan
R = 30
G = 47
B = 56
Magenta
R = 38
G = 0
B = 58
Yellow
R = 60
G = 48
B = 0<o></o>
White Balance<o></o>
-------------<o></o>
R-Offset: 20<o></o>
G-Offset: 25<o></o>
B-Offset: Default<o></o>
R-Gain: Default<o></o>
G-Gain: Default<o></o>
B-Gain: Default<o></o>
<o></o>
Flesh Tone: 0<o></o>
Edge Enhancement: Off<o></o>
xvYCC: Off<o></o>
<o></o>
Picture Options<o></o>
---------------<o></o>
Color Tone: Cool1<o></o>
Size: Just Scan<o></o>
Digital NR: Off
DNIe: Off<o></o>

Film Mode: Off<o></o>
Blue Only Mode: Off<o></o>
Auto Motion Plus: Off

Movie mode coming next...

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 11:38 AM
1st Setting: (what I use)

Movie Mode: Warm-1

White Balance
If adjusting through User Menu
Offset
R: 28
G: 25
B: 21
Gain
R: 25
B: 29

If adjusting through Service Menu - "WB Movie" Settings
R_Gain = 52
B_Gain = -89
R_Offset = 0
B_Offset = 8
Gamma = M2

(SM-WB Movie/User Menu) Picture Settings
Backlight = 3
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 43
Color = 50
Sharpness = 10
Tint = 50/50
Gamma = 0 , If you already adjusted Gamma through the Service Menu (Expert Settings)
Gamma = -1, If adjusting Gamma through User Menu only

Color Space
Red
R = 30
G = 0
B = 1
Green
R = 26
G = 46
B = 0
Blue
R = 9
G = 0
B = 41
Cyan
R = 30
G = 47
B = 56
Magenta
R = 38
G = 0
B = 58
Yellow
R = 60
G = 48
B = 0
<o></o>
2nd Settings

Picture menu<o></o>
------------<o></o>
Mode: Movie<o></o>
Backlight: 3<o></o>
Contrast: 93<o></o>
Brightness: 44<o></o>
Sharpness: 0<o></o>
Color: 52<o></o>
Tint: G50/R50<o></o>
<o></o>
Detailed settings submenu<o></o>
-------------------------<o></o>
Black adjust: Off<o></o>
Dynamic contrast: Off<o></o>
Gamma: +3<o></o>
Color space: Auto<o></o>
Flesh tone: 0<o></o>
Edge enhancement: Off<o></o>
xvYCC: Off<o></o>
<o></o>
White balance submenu<o></o>
---------------------<o></o>
R-Offset: 25<o></o>
G-Offset: 26<o></o>
B-Offset: 25<o></o>
R-Gain: 24<o></o>
G-Gain: 23<o></o>
B-Gain: 14<o></o>
<o></o>
Picture options submenu<o></o>
-----------------------<o></o>
Color tone: Warm2<o></o>
Size: Just Scan<o></o>
Digital NR: Off<o></o>
DNIe: [grayed out]<o></o>
HDMI black level: [grayed out]<o></o>
Film mode: [grayed out<o></o>
Blue only mode: Off<o></o>
Auto motion plus 120Hz: Off<o></o>
<o></o>
Setup menu<o></o>
------------<o></o>
Entertainment: Off<o></o>
Energy saving: Off<o></o>

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
If you're playing sound through the TV speakers:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cpc029%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Sound Settings:

For TV and movies, here are the settings I've settled on:

100Hz: +6
300Hz: +1
1kHz: 0
3kHz: +1
10kHz: +4

SRS: ON
Auto: ON

Might need to adjust a bit b/c the 650 has no woofer like the 750 so the bass might be a bit much for the 650.

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cpc029%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:auto; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#606420; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> <o:p> </o:p>
Samsung LN52A750 LCD flat panel (June 2008 review link).<o:p></o:p>

The Samsung 750 series according to the latest review refreshes 1080P/24 correctly using true 5:5 pulldown for those interested in a judder free natural film quality. When AMP is turned off each 24fps is repeated 5 times without interpolation of new frames to offer true 5:5 pulldown. Also when AMP is turned on some 60HZ video material in the picture can sometimes be improved since the motion artifacts issue that appeared on prior Samsungs appears to be corrected in the 750 series. I actually had a chance to watch the Samsung for a brief period of time and for a LCD display the black level and over all picture quality was excellent. Of course it is not as good as a Pioneer kuro Plasma which has deeper blacks. According to the lastest review the Samsung LN52A750 has a better black level and picture quality compared to the Sony XBR4 series. The Samsung is also $800 cheaper compared to the Sony LCD display. So right now in the LCD world Samsung has the best picture quality for a consumer LCD flat panel. It is amazing that Samsung has now become a high-end brand that is also priced below the competition.

A few quotes from the review link

"As with virtually all upscale LCDs these days, the LN52A750 doubles the refresh rate from 60 to 120Hz. To combat motion blur, a feature called Auto Motion Plus (AMP) inserts interpolated frames between the actual frames in the input signal. This feature can be turned off, in which case each frame in a 60Hz signal is displayed twice and frames in a 24Hz signal are each repeated five times. I noticed a few glaring artifacts when AMP was engaged in a previous-generation Samsung LCD TV, but this year's models have improved it substantially, as we'll see.”

"Samsung has come a long way since the days when it was considered a second-tier bargain-basement brand. Thanks to steadily improving quality, the Korean megacorp is now one of the world's pre-eminent consumer-electronics manufacturers. I've reviewed several Samsung TVs over the years, and each one has been better than the one before.”

"The best test of 120Hz frame interpolation is the [I]FPD Benchmark Blu-ray test disc. With AMP on, the horizontal resolution in the horizontally scrolling monoscope improved, but the vertical resolution was actually degraded. The horizontally scrolling characters were sharpened, especially in the low-contrast tests. All real-world clips (hammock, swing, etc.) looked much sharper with AMP on, and I saw no evidence of the artifacts I observed under the same conditions with the previous-generation LN-T4671F (http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/208sam4671/).”

“The only other nit to pick is the relatively high reflectivity of the screen—in fact, it looked more like a plasma than an LCD in that regard. I could see a sharp reflection of myself when the screen was dark. This could be a problem in rooms with light sources opposite the TV. Samsung claims this actually lowers the black level by not diffusing the reflection of light sources in the room.”

The Samsung 750 series has a better black level and picture quality compared to the Sony XBR4 series and does it for $800 less.

“The most obvious comparison to make is with the Sony KDL-52XBR4 (http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/408sonykdl52/). As much as I like that TV, I prefer the Samsung with its better blacks, sharper standard-def detail, better 120Hz frame interpolation, one more HDMI input, and better menu system. And the Samsung is $800 less than the Sony to boot, making it a better value. Both have very wide bezels, so you need to take that into account either way.”

"Samsung has come a long way from the days of being a cheapie brand, and the LN52A750 proves it in spades. Gorgeous colors, exquisite detail, great blacks, excellent shadow detail, exceptional processing, tons of useful features, and a reasonable price—what's not to love?”

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...n52/index.html (http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/608samln52/index.html)<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
1 more setting for Standard Mode:

Blue Ray calibration disc settings pulled from:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cpc029%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5 (3 in a dark room)
Contrast: 87
Brightness: 41
Sharpness: 15
Color: 45
Tint: G50/R50

Black adjust: Low (tried Med, and liked it too)
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto
Flesh Tone: +2
Edge Enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

White Balance:
Offset
R: 27
B: 24
Gain
R: 25
B: 25

Color Tone: Normal

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cpc029%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#606420; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> <o:p> </o:p>
Comparisons & Conclusion
The most obvious comparison to make is with the Sony KDL-52XBR4 (http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/408sonykdl52/). As much as I like that TV, I prefer the Samsung with its better blacks, sharper standard-def detail, better 120Hz frame interpolation, one more HDMI input, and better menu system. And the Samsung is $800 less than the Sony to boot, making it a better value. Both have very wide bezels, so you need to take that into account either way. <o:p></o:p>
If $3200 is still too much for you, consider the LN52A650 ($3000) or LN52A550 ($2400). The LN52A650 is nearly identical to the 750, except that it has no DLNA capabilities, internal content, or integrated woofer, and WiseLink can play only photos and music (no video) from a USB storage device. The price difference between the 650 and 750 is minimal, so if you can afford $3000, I'd probably advise spending the extra $200 to get the full boat. <o:p></o:p>
The 550 is 60Hz instead of 120Hz, it has lower contrast, and it has no InfoLink, WiseLink, internal content, or DLNA. Also, its screen isn't as shiny as the 650/750 screen, which could be a plus for some. If you don't care about the connectivity features, you can save a lot of scratch, but the picture is most likely not as punchy, and motion detail is bound to be less sharp than either of the higher-end models. <o:p></o:p>
Samsung has come a long way from the days of being a cheapie brand, and the LN52A750 proves it in spades. Gorgeous colors, exquisite detail, great blacks, excellent shadow detail, exceptional processing, tons of useful features, and a reasonable price—what's not to love? <o:p></o:p>
Highs
Color, detail, blacks, and shadow detail all excellent
Superb video processing, including 120Hz frame interpolation
Extensive feature set <o:p></o:p>
Lows
Audio is sub-par
Dual-action cursor wheel on remote can be a bit tricky
Screen is more reflective than most LCD TVs <o:p></o:p>
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/flatpaneldisplays/608samln52/

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 11:51 AM
http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/608samln52/index7.html

Just a few charts and graphs to show the difference properly calibrated sets can do to really get the most out of your TV!!!

A few pics of what you can expect from your set:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14348337#post14348337

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14292302#post14292302

Some side by side pics of different settings and what they look like picture wise:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14272680#post14272680

Dallas Chief
07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Not true, in part. Samsung makes the panels for Sony, yes. But Samsung makes around 70% of all the world's LCD panels, including others.

What sets them apart is the internals, just like in a computer, you've got processing speeds, graphics cards, etc...

Trust me, Sony these days is running a distant 2nd to Samsung in PQ (picture quality) when it comes to high end sets. Most people won't really care one way or anther unless it's something you're interested in and do the AV research, but right now Samsung is owning. BTW, this is coming from a lifelong Sony guy. Grew up with Sony's and only bought Sony until this one. This set is UNBELIEVABLE.

I have service mode settings too to even tweak some other stuff if you want? It's not necessary, and there is the risk that it could void your warranty, b/c there is a way to delete the service log to show you've been in there, but it's not confirmed that will totally cover your ass... just let me know...

Ummm, no. Sony and Samsung have a JOINT manufacturing facility where the panels are made. Panels only. Samsung actually finishes out the TV's nearby whereas Sony ships the panels off to other locales to be be assembled. Your analogy to a computer is correct though. The panels may be the same but most of the guts are different.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Wow, thanks for all that information, im def. saving that info to try out on the tv....sounds great! I would give you rep x50 but i can't! Appreciate the time you took to add this detailed info. I am very happy with this tv, and once again anyone in the market and has some dough, take a look!

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 12:21 PM
If you're playing sound through the TV speakers:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cpc029%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Sound Settings:

For TV and movies, here are the settings I've settled on:

100Hz: +6
300Hz: +1
1kHz: 0
3kHz: +1
10kHz: +4

SRS: ON
Auto: ON

Might need to adjust a bit b/c the 650 has no woofer like the 750 so the bass might be a bit much for the 650.

Excellent just did that, sounds much louder and deeper sound....i don't have to turn it up as high as i did before....btw what does the auto vol. mean, i just noticed it got louder due to it. Great settings!

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
This may be a stupid ? but ill ask....

i noticed you have 3 diff setting types, standard, movie and bluray...does that mean id have to re-do all these settings everytime i wan to view a movie/bluray and then tv? I assume when i put it on MOVIE mode it has its own settings that i change? So when i want to watch a bluray movie, do i change the standard settings again for bluray on standard mode and then have to re-change back to your 1st settings for tv again?

Hopefully i didn't confuse you...

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 12:42 PM
No, the settings just came off a calibration disc on blue ray, you don't have to change the settings for blue ray every time, just see what version of Standard and Movie you like best and keep them.

You'll have to do the setting setup for each imput- so you could essentially have 1 setting in Movie mode and Standard for your cable.

Then, have another setting for Movie and Standard for your DVD input, and different settings for your Blue Ray input.

Same thing for other inputs like PS3, XBox or whatever.

Essentially for each input you can customize Movie and Standard however you like, b/c it will keep different user settings for each input.

By the way, 100.3 firmware seems to be the best firmware to date. A lot of people tried the update with the settings and found they tweak the settings and the PQ wasn't as good.

Up to you if you decide to go back to 100.3M from 2001.x, you'll need 2001 firmware if you plan on using wiselink.

Auto volume, IIRC, normalizes the sound, so it takes really quiet sound like people talking and makes it louder, and then takes really loud scenes, think Heat shootout scene, and brings the volume level down so it's not blaring...

I use it usually. There is also night mode, that keeps the normalizing settings but bumps up people talking even more, and dampens loud sounds more so you can watch shit at night without waking others in the house.

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Glad I could help, a lot of people have no clue on getting the most out of their TV's.

If you have Comcast with On Demand, put your TV on the Standard Mode that I use, and then turn the AMP on High (it's "120 something" under picture options the last option) Then goto The Dark Knight Extras and watch the trailers on it. Then turn the Amp to OFF and watch again. Then watch it again on High, and you'll start to realize how awesome it is! Damn thing actually adds real depth to the picture. Realize you'll have to adjust AMP depending on what you're watching because every media has a different quality based on compression, and other factors, but it's damn sweet!

And I'd advice using Sports mode when watching sports. I do hate the preset sound settings for it, and it sucks that they're locked in. I'm looking into finding a way to go into the service menu and adjust the sound setting for the Sports mode to match my custom sound settings.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Appreciate the info, that helps clarify things...

I did update it recently to the 2001.x so i wouldnt have to worry about the auto shutoff problem or whatever that is in some of them. I do like the sound after calibrating, its tons better

Thanks for all the help man!

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Glad I could help, a lot of people have no clue on getting the most out of their TV's.

If you have Comcast with On Demand, put your TV on the Standard Mode that I use, and then turn the AMP on High (it's "120 something" under picture options the last option) Then goto The Dark Knight Extras and watch the trailers on it. Then turn the Amp to OFF and watch again. Then watch it again on High, and you'll start to realize how awesome it is! Damn thing actually adds real depth to the picture. Realize you'll have to adjust AMP depending on what you're watching because every media has a different quality based on compression, and other factors, but it's damn sweet!

And I'd advice using Sports mode when watching sports. I do hate the preset sound settings for it, and it sucks that they're locked in. I'm looking into finding a way to go into the service menu and adjust the sound setting for the Sports mode to match my custom sound settings.

I will try that, sounds awesome!

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Appreciate the info, that helps clarify things...

I did update it recently to the 2001.x so i wouldnt have to worry about the auto shutoff problem or whatever that is in some of them. I do like the sound after calibrating, its tons better

Thanks for all the help man!

Yeah, rule of thumb would be to not update your firmware if there's nothing wrong with your TV. Mine works great, so I'm not updating it. My only glitch is that when I turn the TV off it resets the SRS sound to off automatically. Not a big deal and not worth risking messing with my picture quality for such a small thing.

By the way, if you do change firmwares, keep your settings somewhere b/c you'll have to re enter them again.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, rule of thumb would be to not update your firmware if there's nothing wrong with your TV. Mine works great, so I'm not updating it. My only glitch is that when I turn the TV off it resets the SRS sound to off automatically. Not a big deal and not worth risking messing with my picture quality for such a small thing.

By the way, if you do change firmwares, keep your settings somewhere b/c you'll have to re enter them again.

Got it...will do...thank you

Simply Red
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
definitely doesn't seem like a mind-blowing price. Seems kind of high in my opinion. But hey, if you like it and are happy paying that price...

no offense..

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 01:41 PM
definitely doesn't seem like a mind-blowing price. Seems kind of high in my opinion. But hey, if you like it and are happy paying that price...

no offense..

None taken, it was definetly worth it....also its on the nebraska card which is 0% for 2 years

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
By the way, I mentioned getting HDMI 1.3 cables, which will run your Video AND Audio...

Instead of getting ripped off at BB or where ever. Check out Blue Jeans Cables

HDMI Cable, Tartan 24 AWG, 8 foot, Black.

Picked up 2 of these. They're only $11, but you can order longer or shorter depending on what you need, and they adjust the price by the foot. Great Deal!

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/index.htm

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
By the way, I mentioned getting HDMI 1.3 cables, which will run your Video AND Audio...

Picked up 2 of these. They're only $11, but you can order longer or shorter depending on what you need, and they adjust the price by the foot. Great Deal!

I do currently have a 4 ft cable my uncle gave me a long time ago that i swap between my ps3, hddvd player all the time. I did go to BB and good god cables are way too expensive. How reliable is this company, hell of a deal.

So i assume the cable you listed is the kind to use for the tv's and blurays of the world?
thanks

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM

Also we just got TW cable and they installed our HDDVR and HD Reciever upstairs with component cables...there are HDMI connectors, will that make a difference or should i just keep the component cables connected to that receiver. I just have tv speakers to rely on right now

Anyong Bluth
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Very reliable! It's pretty much suggested by anyone on the A/V forums I check out and their prices are tops.

If you can hook it up through HDMI, do it. The HDMI 1.3 will bring in your Audio and Video, unlike older version of HDMI, and it will set a number of your settings, like Black Level automatically, so you'll be perfectly calibrated.

You've got 4 inputs, so I don't know how many things you hook it up to, but get as many as you hook up to, and then you can specify your calibration settings for each mode so each will work the best with whatever is hooked up.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Very reliable! It's pretty much suggested by anyone on the A/V forums I check out and their prices are tops.

If you can hook it up through HDMI, do it. The HDMI 1.3 will bring in your Audio and Video, unlike older version of HDMI, and it will set a number of your settings, like Black Level automatically, so you'll be perfectly calibrated.

You've got 4 inputs, so I don't know how many things you hook it up to, but get as many as you hook up to, and then you can specify your calibration settings for each mode so each will work the best with whatever is hooked up.

Gotcha! I'll have to get a few...i plan to have my cable, hddvd player and bluray player setup on there....and in the near future a 7.1 surround reciever, my parents have a badass onkyo system which i may duplicate

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-LCD

Anyong Bluth
08-02-2008, 07:47 PM
My bad, just going off what I had heard through the grapevine regarding LCD makers.

Sure-OZ, how did the new settings work out for ya? Hope the picture quality is improved. If you're one that likes heavy contrast / brightness, like Dynamic mode, you might not like the settings right away, but once you watch it for about 2 weeks, you can see that there shouldn't be white wash, black crush and come to really enjoy the proper viewing.

Sure-Oz
08-02-2008, 11:47 PM
I definetly like it so far....i am all about maximizing the experience for sure since i do not know much about HDTV's. I will def. do whats best for the setup. I have yet to actually try the tv in the Dynamic mode or whatever, ive pretty much left it at standard and the new setup on that. I also change to sports mode and noticed a diff during games, pretty freakin sweet. I also have it on game mode for my games as well. I assume that is what they are for right?! I love this tv, already talked my gfs brother into getting one now :)

Appreciated all the help you have given man and the sound setup is perfect thank you!