PDA

View Full Version : Misc just had to fire someone

tooge
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
No matter how much you cant stand working with someone, canning someones ass really sucks. I feel like I need to drink right now, and I still have a job. sheesh, how does she feel? Damn this blows

Crashride
07-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Just remember someone has to do it. Never forget your part of running a BUSINESS. You need the right people and it takes effort to get fired.

chasedude
07-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I've never been in the position to fire someone. I don't know if I could do it. This is my first management position but I'm the only one, no one under me.

penguinz
07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I've never been in the position to fire someone. I don't know if I could do it. This is my first management position but I'm the only one, no one under me.
Really going to suck when you have to let yourself go.

Stewie
07-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Were the ribs too dry?

chasedude
07-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Really going to suck when you have to let yourself go.

You think slashing my own tires would be overkill? LMAO

Baconeater
07-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Maybe I'd feel differently if I was ever really faced with having to do it, but I actually envy you. I would've loved to have had the authority to fire some of the worthless asses I've worked with over the years.

Fairplay
07-30-2008, 04:03 PM
I feel bad for you tooge. I know you can just say its just business, but easier said then done.

I would be interested in why you chose the person to let go of over other possible employees out of curiosity.

sedated
07-30-2008, 04:03 PM
I've only gotten to fire 2 people. The 2nd one was much easier than the 1st.

blueballs
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
on a wednesday
you cold heartless ass
-so you have a opening

PastorMikH
07-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Never had to let anyone go myself, though I have been glad when some quit. Dad was service manager for a dealership back in the 80s and had to let a kid go. It tore him up even though the guy earned it. Wasn't long after that he quit and went back to turning wrenches.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
No matter how much you cant stand working with someone, canning someones ass really sucks. I feel like I need to drink right now, and I still have a job. sheesh, how does she feel? Damn this blows

Watch out or you might be on the other end of your avatar

On another note, my company did 2 rounds of layoffs from Aug. to Dec. of last year

During the first round of interviews, one of the guys who made the cut like I did was talking to me and he said to me "it's actually harder to be the one firing people than the one getting fired" . I laughed at him and told him this was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard because at the end of the day the manager still has money to feed his family.

Poetic justice sweeped in during Round 2 interviews when the same guy I was talking to got laid off. He was visibly angry and stormed out the office - I REALLY wanted to ask him if he still felt the same way but decided not to be a huge dick

Fairplay
07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I found out our company suppose to do round 2 of layoffs at the end of next month. Unfortunately its hitting our department pretty good.

Have to keep all that stuff hush-hush till then.

blueballs
07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
great thread for spinoffs
HA

Rain Man
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
It's incredibly stressful for me even if someone really, really deserves it. I hate that part of the job. We try like heck to make the right hires so we don't have to do it, and have actually had pretty good success, but you're never going to bat 1.000.

The worst is when it's a person who is nice and just isn't cutting it.

DaFace
07-30-2008, 04:19 PM
It's incredibly stressful for me even if someone really, really deserves it. I hate that part of the job. We try like heck to make the right hires so we don't have to do it, and have actually had pretty good success, but you're never going to bat 1.000.

The worst is when it's a person who is nice and just isn't cutting it.

I'm sorry! I'll try and do better! :)

Nzoner
07-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I feel for ya man,been there done that a few times,once had a girl start crying in front of me talking about her kid etc.

kstater
07-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I've had to let go several people, not much of a problem. Fixing to have to let go someone who's been here for 16 years. He's been here longer than me or my boss. Going to be tough.

luv
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Been there on a few occasions. It's extremely hard when you don't want to let people go, but your boss is telling you to get rid of them.

It does get easier, though.

Skip Towne
07-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Been there on a few occasions. It's extremely hard when you don't want to let people go, but your boss is telling you to get rid of them.

Yougot pretty close that time they let you go then changed their minds and promoted you.

Rain Man
07-30-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry! I'll try and do better! :)

You're not really that nice.

DaKCMan AP
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
was she hot?

kstater
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
You're not really that nice.

Just so you know, he was posting polls trying to become king of the poll while you were on vacation.

angelo
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
It is just business.
If they can not do the work, then they need to go.
My crew are the lions on the savanna plain they can smell the weak and the frail. If the person can not keep up then they get left behind.
You can not have sympathy in business matters.
I give everyone a chance to succeed, it is their choice.

It is true that layoffs suck but you are only trimming dead weight.

Ang

Nzoner
07-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Midnight dip should be along anytime now to tell us how we're all too soft and how he's fired dozens of people from Burger King

Rain Man
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
My thinking on a firing is that it's best for everyone in the long run. If the person isn't adding enough value to the company, the company needs to make the move to keep itself profitable. And for the person getting fired, why waste your time at a company where you're not going to be successful?

I got laid off from a large company once. From a pride standpoint, it sure didn't feel good, especially since I thought I was a better prospect than some of the ones who survived (but not patteeu; I wasn't in his league). But realistically, the most frustrating part was that they'd been telling me for five years that I was doing fine, when behind closed doors they didn't really think that much of me and had put me on the slow track for promotion, which I would've found out the hard way in another year or two. I would've rather known early, so I could've moved on and not wasted my time at a place where my career was headed nowhere fast.

I left that company with my head down, but ended up in an environment where I was much better suited for success, so in the end it all worked out. I would've rather not wasted five years there, though.

Interestingly, my next job was a consulting company that was brutally darwinistic. They fired people left and right, and yet I thrived there (until the psycho took over). The nice thing was that people would come in, work for six months or a year, and disappear in the night, and they would bob to the surface somewhere downstream in a job that was a better fit. I like that system much better than the slow invisible glacial death sentence that was meted upon people at the larger company (except for patteeu, who I'm convinced could've become CEO eventually).

Rain Man
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Just so you know, he was posting polls trying to become king of the poll while you were on vacation.

That's positive ambition right there.

Of course, he'll never dethrone me. Never. I shall rule forever.

Spicy McHaggis
07-30-2008, 04:41 PM
That's positive ambition right there.

Of course, he'll never dethrone me. Never. I shall rule forever.

At least until us serfs discover movable type.

FAX
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
I've never enjoyed firing someone - few do, obviously. For some people, though, it's an overly intense, emotional, highly difficult decision and action that's intensely magnified due to the fact that you're negatively impacting another person's life - at least at that point in their career. I think I'm one of those, Mr. tooge. Over time, I've come up with a variety of rationales that make the process easier ... the good of the many outweighs the good of the one, everybody gets fired at some point, they'll be happier and better off in a different position with a different company, if football teams didn't let people go, they would never win a game, etc.

My current method is to imagine the employee as a person who has been recently bitten by a zombie and just hasn't yet turned. It hardens my heart while bringing to mind that a firing is a whole lot better than having your head chopped off or having your eyeballs shot out.

FAX

Zebedee DuBois
07-30-2008, 04:59 PM
I wonder what the entomology is for the verb 'fire' in this usage.

Perhaps in mid evil times, when you no longer wished to employ someone, you set fire to them. Perhaps tied to a stake. I'm sure they would get the message and not show up the following Monday.

Rain Man
07-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Perhaps in mid evil times, when you no longer wished to employ someone, you set fire to them. Perhaps tied to a stake. I'm sure they would get the message and not show up the following Monday.

I bet it had to do with fire ants.

Zebedee DuBois
07-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I bet it had to do with fire ants.

:clap:

(wished I'd caught my flaw)

J Diddy
07-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I've never enjoyed firing someone - few do, obviously. For some people, though, it's an overly intense, emotional, highly difficult decision and action that's intensely magnified due to the fact that you're negatively impacting another person's life - at least at that point in their career. I think I'm one of those, Mr. tooge. Over time, I've come up with a variety of rationales that make the process easier ... the good of the many outweighs the good of the one, everybody gets fired at some point, they'll be happier and better off in a different position with a different company, if football teams didn't let people go, they would never win a game, etc.

My current method is to imagine the employee as a person who has been recently bitten by a zombie and just hasn't yet turned. It hardens my heart while bringing to mind that a firing is a whole lot better than having your head chopped off or having your eyeballs shot out.

FAX

you have a way of looking at things in an uh, well different light

I never want to close my eyes again

Rain Man
07-30-2008, 05:18 PM
:clap:

(wished I'd caught my flaw)

On a more serious note, here's what this site says:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=fire

The v. sense of "sack, dismiss" is first recorded 1885 in Amer.Eng., probably from a play on the two meanings of discharge: "to dismiss from a position," and "to fire a gun," the second sense being from "set fire to gunpowder," attested from 1530.

I like Zeb's theory better.

FAX
07-30-2008, 05:19 PM

It's probably slang that, at some point in history, was derived from the term "discharge", Mr. Zebedee DuBois. That would be my guess.

EDIT: And voila!!!

FAX

Zebedee DuBois
07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Now, suppose the circus no longer wished to employ the Human Cannonball.

How do you think they go about discharging him?

Skip Towne
07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
While we're on the subject, can anyone explain why Matt Millen remains employed?

FAX
07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I think it has something to do with band camp, Mr. Skip Towne.

FAX

kstater
07-30-2008, 05:34 PM
While we're on the subject, can anyone explain why Matt Millen remains employed?

The only logical explanation is he has compromising pictures of the owners humping a Ford tailpipe.

Rain Man
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM
My dad once hired a deaf guy, and the state offered to pay some of his salary for "hiring a disabled person who was otherwise hard to employ". I always thought the same must be true of Millen.

(My dad turned the state down, by the way.)

Hydrae
07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
The only logical explanation is he has compromising pictures of the owners humping a Ford tailpipe.

Nah, a Ford would have been fine. The problem is that it was a Chevy!

ChiefsFanatic
07-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Yes, I have fired a few kids before, but the one time I had to fire a grown man with a family, I was sick to my stomach. I feel for you man.

DaKCMan AP
07-30-2008, 07:06 PM
so..... was she hot?

BWillie
07-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I think I would love firing people, especially if they deserved it. I have no patience for incompetent people and those who refuse to work hard. So how did you do it? Did you do it like this........

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki4GxDgZo1U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki4GxDgZo1U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Or like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcSCrD1quuk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcSCrD1quuk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JimNasium
07-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Why would you fire someone when you have anti-freeze as an option?

Baconeater
07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I think I would love firing people, especially if they deserved it. I have no patience for incompetent people and those who refuse to work hard. So how did you do it? Did you do it like this........

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki4GxDgZo1U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki4GxDgZo1U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Or like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcSCrD1quuk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcSCrD1quuk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Meh, this is WAY better than either of those.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pN41XOkaErM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pN41XOkaErM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2008, 10:06 PM

It's even worse when you're the one that has to make the business decision to do it. I've had to let a lot of people go that were awesome individuals. Unfortunately though, they weren't profitable to the business I was running and it ultimately would've been me if I hadn't done it. It sucks, but we all have a job to do.

blueballs
07-30-2008, 10:10 PM
do you realize how much company time
she spent attending to her hatchet wound
your already ahead

DJJasonp
07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Here's one for you....my fiance (who is a store manager for a major retailer) today had to fire a loss prevention guy ....get this...

for being in the camera room where all the security camera tv's are (no dressing rooms)....and he was polishing the purple helmet!

whoops....talk about that "deer in the headlights" moment!

outstanding, eh???

Nzoner
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Here's one for you....my fiance (who is a store manager for a major retailer) today had to fire a loss prevention guy ....get this...

for being in the camera room where all the security camera tv's are (no dressing rooms)....and he was polishing the purple helmet!

outstanding, eh???

"honey I got fired today."

"FOR WHAT!"

"Uh,uh they said I was,was,uh slacking off yeah that's it slacking off."

DaneMcCloud
07-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Firing people sucks. But writing someone up twice (third time's a firing), only to have them claim disability just before the third write up is far, far worse.

At Paramount, we had to document poor work ethic and give an employee written notices and reviews before we were allowed to fire someone. Constantly pointing out poor work is even more excruciating than actually firing someone but that was the only path.

I had one employee who I'd written up twice and she must have seen the writing on the wall. She stopped coming to work altogether and about three weeks later, we were hit with a lawsuit. She was claiming disability!

She claimed that she had carpel tunnel. I seriously don't know how that could have happened because I think she typed about 40 words a week. Just a terrible, terrible employee. Then she claimed (and this really pissed me off) that I made her carry 100 pound boxes!! First off, there were no "Hundred" pound boxes anywhere. Secondly (and those who know me can verify), the last thing I would EVER do is ask a women (and most men) to carry boxes of any weight. Just ****ing insane.

So, while she's claiming disability, my ****ing job is frozen! Paramount won't let me hire a replacement until after the suit has been settled. GREAT! So not only do I lose one employee (shitty, albeit), but I can't even fill the job. So guess what? More work for Dane McCloud and his other employees (all of whom were already helping to cover for her sorry ass to begin with).

After more than 14 months, Paramount settled. This human paraquat gets $35,000 per year for the rest of her life. In-****ing-sane.

So just be happy you haven't had to deal with that kind of nonsense, Mr. Tooge.

And I hope you never will.

Mojo Rising
07-30-2008, 11:07 PM
While in college I worked a Summer Job that managed a welfare program to get kids to work. Without saying, I fired 30 - 50 before I was 21.

My first job out of college was working for a computer consulting company. For many, I also had to "End your contract early." They usually weren't a fit, the project lost funding, or, were freaks.

During that 10 year period I probably fired another 50.

That puts me at almost 100. The first 50 really don't count though. Although, it was pretty scary firing gang members who lived around 9th and Quindaro in the early 90's.

Phobia
07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Paramount sounds like an incredible retirement plan. Any chance I could hire on there for.... say 2-3 weeks?

DaneMcCloud
07-30-2008, 11:14 PM

outstanding, eh???

Dude,

Again, when I was at Paramount, we had a 57 year-old guy in the finance department. He was an odd sort. He had a wife that we later found out was his girlfriend (yet he called her wife). He had a son that was in medical school in like Guatemala who'd visit and he tried to push off on all the girls in the office. That, and he liked to talk, talk, talk, talk. He looked like he could be Larry David's brother.

The V.P. of Finance really didn't like this guy but apparently, he was good enough at his job and his salary would fit under budget. That was until, he walked in the guy's office and in the window reflection, he could see the old dude looking at porn! The VP didn't say anything the *first* time. But after repeated infractions, he had to write him up.

So after he'd been written up for porn twice, he apparently stopped. But, he was always on IM. Turns out, he had a "ladyfriend" on the side of his "wife" who he was IMing all day. A 57 year old man! This guy didn't own a home (he rented a house owned by his "wife"), drove a piece of crap car and was apparently obsessed with internet porn and internet relationships.

Finally, he was fired.

And even more interesting, his office was demolished. It was turned into a common area. We decided it would be disgusting to actually put another employee in that office, especially when who-knows-what was happening in that chair.

Gross.

DaneMcCloud
07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Paramount sounds like an incredible retirement plan. Any chance I could hire on there for.... say 2-3 weeks?

I'm sure you could get a job as a foreman and eventually a set designer.

But you'd be better off coming up with a bad movie idea that would lose millions.

That's what they're best at :evil:

Huffman83
07-30-2008, 11:18 PM
I myself have not been fired. As a 911 operator, you have to either piss off enough people numerous times or just flat out screw up something huge in order to get fired.

The choice is pretty much yours. If you show up on time, work overtime every once in a while, keep track of all of your units going to calls (fire, medic, law enforcement.) and make sure they're safe and get everything they need to do their job. And also check your attitude when dealing w/ said units and the public.

One girl....pretty much did everything but show up on time, work overtime, and pissed off a lot of people.

So the admin had it set up to give the girl her termination letter. But they didn't give it to her. They gave it to a step up supervisor because the girls supervisor was out of town. And they made her work a 12 hr shift (normally it's 8). Girl was a single mother of 1 boy and had another little girl on the way.

To be honest...it was the most harsh way I've ever seen anyone get fired. But I couldn't help but think that she did it to herself.

Baconeater
07-30-2008, 11:32 PM
I myself have not been fired. As a 911 operator, you have to either piss off enough people numerous times or just flat out screw up something huge in order to get fired..
Like this guy?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAGSnKeSSZ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAGSnKeSSZ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Huffman83
07-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I love the gap after "Do you want us to come over and shoot her?"

Classic.

But I don't know a 911 operator who hasn't taken that same exact call and thought the same thing.

MadMax
07-30-2008, 11:42 PM
It's even worse when you're the one that has to make the business decision to do it. I've had to let a lot of people go that were awesome individuals. Unfortunately though, they weren't profitable to the business I was running and it ultimately would've been me if I hadn't done it. It sucks, but we all have a job to do.

Heartless bastard!!! J/k :)

MadMax
07-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Watch out or you might be on the other end of your avatar

On another note, my company did 2 rounds of layoffs from Aug. to Dec. of last year

During the first round of interviews, one of the guys who made the cut like I did was talking to me and he said to me "it's actually harder to be the one firing people than the one getting fired" . I laughed at him and told him this was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard because at the end of the day the manager still has money to feed his family.

Poetic justice sweeped in during Round 2 interviews when the same guy I was talking to got laid off. He was visibly angry and stormed out the office - I REALLY wanted to ask him if he still felt the same way but decided not to be a huge dick

Of course. Being a small to mediocre dick would suffice... :) Which BTW is the natural enemy of most women.

SLAG
07-31-2008, 12:31 AM
I guess this fits here
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNKVpaS3Lk8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNKVpaS3Lk8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

POND_OF_RED
07-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Did she take the news better than Casey Printers?

JuicesFlowing
07-31-2008, 01:55 AM
Did she take the news better than Casey Printers?

Man it's going to be weird not seeing that guy in Preseason.

tooge
07-31-2008, 07:22 AM
I feel bad for you tooge. I know you can just say its just business, but easier said then done.

I would be interested in why you chose the person to let go of over other possible employees out of curiosity.

It was a chemistry thing. Pretty much all of the girls in the office, and my partner and I just felt uncomfortable working with this employee. she is a nice person, but it just didn't feel right. It was like when you are dating someone and "it" just isn't there regardless of if you like them or not.

tooge
07-31-2008, 07:26 AM
so..... was she hot?

not to me. by the way, it is amazing what a nights sleep will do. I'm over it now and glad I did it. Still feel sorry for her though

Rausch
07-31-2008, 07:28 AM
It was a chemistry thing. Pretty much all of the girls in the office, and my partner and I just felt uncomfortable working with this employee. she is a nice person, but it just didn't feel right. It was like when you are dating someone and "it" just isn't there regardless of if you like them or not.

Then remind yourself that you were doing your job. The workplace needs to flow as smoothly and effectively as possible.

I'm sure there's a reason you all feel uncomfortable...

Redrum_69
07-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Man it's going to be weird not seeing that guy in Preseason.

hes prolly making a chicken salad sandwich somewhere

kepp
07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
on a wednesday
you cold heartless ass

"Studies show that there's less chance of an 'incident' if you let someone go on a Friday."

kregger
07-31-2008, 08:45 AM
I've had to do it twice. The first time, I was only in a supervisor position for 4 months and the guy was still on probation. Wasn't my hire and the previous supervisor was a big help in getting the paperwork in order. Still sucked.
The second time was much worse. My director insisted on firing this lady who had worked for us for over 20 years. I didn't think the punishment fit the crime, but it was his call and my job to deliver the goods.
Thankfully, she was able to find another full time position with another company. It made me feel better, but the act of firing was still one of the worst days on the job.

Demonpenz
07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
I had to fire someone because we overpaid him in error 120 dollars and he kept it.

Fairplay
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM

....plus she wouldn't put out for me. heh.

Iowanian
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
I caught the VP of my company on cra igslist on my computer earlier. I told her she was fired.

She replied that not only was she not fired, I wasn't getting any "team building exercise" until I painted the ceiling in the bathroom I remodeled.

chasedude
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
I caught the VP of my company on cra igslist on my computer earlier. I told her she was fired.

She replied that not only was she not fired, I wasn't getting any "team building exercise" until I painted the ceiling in the bathroom I remodeled.

Any good Fringe benefits? Do you get more than a 1% annual raise? :)

Iowanian
07-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Fringe benefits are great. As for the % raise....I'll have to get a protractor to tell you how far the Sgt at Arms stands tall.

Its the hours, workload, paperwork, marketing, computer issues and other stuff that are less desirable so far than say, a 9-5 govt job.

chasedude
07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Fringe benefits are great. As for the % raise....I'll have to get a protractor to tell you how far the Sgt at Arms stands tall.

Its the hours, workload, paperwork, marketing, computer issues and other stuff that are less desirable so far than say, a 9-5 govt job.

That's why I'm not married.

Iowanian
07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
That's why I'm not married.

and I always thought it was because you were a poverty stricken, goofy looking, butt smelling, nice guy who lived with his mother.

I keeeed.

StcChief
07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
I had to fire someone because we overpaid him in error 120 dollars and he kept it.and don't look back either.

penguinz
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I had to fire someone because we overpaid him in error 120 dollars and he kept it.You fired someone because your accounting dept f'd his pay up?

J Diddy
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I had to fire someone because we overpaid him in error 120 dollars and he kept it.

sounds like someone I just fronted some weed to

oh damn, i ain't gonna get my money

crazycoffey
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
So, there's an opening where you work? Do you do the hiring too?

patteeu
07-31-2008, 03:14 PM
My thinking on a firing is that it's best for everyone in the long run. If the person isn't adding enough value to the company, the company needs to make the move to keep itself profitable. And for the person getting fired, why waste your time at a company where you're not going to be successful?

I got laid off from a large company once. From a pride standpoint, it sure didn't feel good, especially since I thought I was a better prospect than some of the ones who survived (but not patteeu; I wasn't in his league). But realistically, the most frustrating part was that they'd been telling me for five years that I was doing fine, when behind closed doors they didn't really think that much of me and had put me on the slow track for promotion, which I would've found out the hard way in another year or two. I would've rather known early, so I could've moved on and not wasted my time at a place where my career was headed nowhere fast.

I left that company with my head down, but ended up in an environment where I was much better suited for success, so in the end it all worked out. I would've rather not wasted five years there, though.

Interestingly, my next job was a consulting company that was brutally darwinistic. They fired people left and right, and yet I thrived there (until the psycho took over). The nice thing was that people would come in, work for six months or a year, and disappear in the night, and they would bob to the surface somewhere downstream in a job that was a better fit. I like that system much better than the slow invisible glacial death sentence that was meted upon people at the larger company (except for patteeu, who I'm convinced could've become CEO eventually).

:LOL: Don't be modest, you always knew you were better than me. If you hadn't been against sleeping your way up the ladder, I would have been washing your car in no time.

Rain Man
07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
:LOL: Don't be modest, you always knew you were better than me. If you hadn't been against sleeping your way up the ladder, I would have been washing your car in no time.

Admittedly, I had a strict policy against sleeping with Mike or Dean, but that probably wasn't what held me back.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever make senior engineer, or did they pretty much stop promoting after the layoffs?

patteeu
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
If you don't like to fire people, plant drugs or stolen contraband in their desks or work vehicles and call in the police to do your dirty work for you. It's so much less confrontational.

patteeu
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Admittedly, I had a strict policy against sleeping with Mike or Dean, but that probably wasn't what held me back.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever make senior engineer, or did they pretty much stop promoting after the layoffs?

I did not. I don't remember if there were any promotions between the time you left and the time I left or not. Amy was one of the last people I remember being promoted while I was there. She was a nice gal.

Rain Man
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Amy B.? I didn't remember that she stayed long after I left. We still trade Christmas cards, believe it or not. Well, more accurately, she sends me Christmas cards, and every third or fourth year when I put out Christmas cards, I'll send her one.

You should've been promoted, but I guess it would've been a hollow victory if you didn't have me around to be your staff.

BWillie
07-31-2008, 06:04 PM

Can you go into more detail? I know you may not wish to go into more detail, and I understand, but based on what you tell me why would you fire someone based on that? Unless it was effecting their performance, if she makes you feel uncomfortable but is a nice person I don't see what it would be. Usually people that make you uncomfortable are either psychopaths, assholes, or perverts. Which one was she?

Valiant
07-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Can you go into more detail? I know you may not wish to go into more detail, and I understand, but based on what you tell me why would you fire someone based on that? Unless it was effecting their performance, if she makes you feel uncomfortable but is a nice person I don't see what it would be. Usually people that make you uncomfortable are either psychopaths, assholes, or perverts. Which one was she?

Could be morale of the others in their tight knit group???

FAX
07-31-2008, 06:56 PM
I can see that. I've always attempted to cultivate a close-knit, team atmosphere among our group. Sometimes, people just don't fit in, for whatever reason. It's unfortunate, but for my part, it's reason enough to cut bait and move on.

FAX

Jewish Rabbi
07-31-2008, 07:16 PM
So I walked into a bathroom at college one day, and one of the teachers was in the bathroom beating it. He was embarrased, obviously, and stated that he was doing "preventative maintenance."

Sick.

jjchieffan
07-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Meh, I have fired several people when I was a cable foreman. I never had a problem doing it. Everyone I ever fired had been warned and given ample opportunity to rectify their problem. Every one of them had it coming. I even fired a good friend of mine once for being late every day for weeks. We are still friends. He knew it was business and not personal. Funny how things work. We are now both working for a networking company, and he is my boss.

Simply Red
07-31-2008, 10:02 PM
was the employee stealing?