PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interesting passage in a Gretz article...

aturnis
07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I've been reading the updates on www.bobgretz.com, mostly b/c he seems to be the first to deliver a quality update, and it seems he keeps a running stats tally throughout practice.

This was an interesting snippet I was more than happy to read:

One other defensive note: when the Chiefs went to their “backer” 3-4 defense, the linebackers were Edwards, Thomas, Derrick Johnson and Demorrio Williams.

Also, I hadn't noticed him do this before, but he answered some burning questions readers had posted at the foot of the article.

Had a moment here so I thought I’d get back to some of your comments.

Ned: please explain how it’s possible that the Chiefs cut Tre Stallings last year but this year he’s in the hunt to be a starter at RG or at least a legitimate backup? And hows Herb Taylor doing? And is Will Svitek practicing, and what are his prospects?

BG: Stallings has improved and he’s also better suited for the style of offense that Gailey has brought than he was for the Vermeil-Saunders-Solari system. Right now right guard is the biggest question mark on a questionable offensive line. Last year Stallings didn’t have a chance. This year, if Adrian Jones falters, Stallings will get a chance. Whether he’s up to it or not is another matter.
Herb Taylor is doing OK, working at backup LT. Not sure he’s ready for full-time service, but he could jump in and help in a pinch.
Svitek’s days are numbered. He’s running at RT with the third offensive line. Not a good sign in this time of turnover.

And this one was VERY interesting

Gregg: Who would you say is the final list of Linebackers to make the team?

Also, in your opinion is Sippio the real deal and wasn’t given a legitimate chance last year?

BG: Just a guess here at this point without any pre-season action, but from what I’ve seen and what Mike Priefer has assigned on the special teams, I think the linebackers will be:
Edwards/Johnson/Thomas/Williams/Kuale/Rumph and either Dacus or Harris. I think right now Harris is on the bubble.

Sippio is what he is: a guy who catches everything thrown in his direction, but he doesn’t have much speed. He’ll always be the last receiver on the roster. Given what the Chiefs have in camp, he has a chance to stick.

Thanks for visiting the site.
BG

KC Tattoo
07-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Just get in the red zone and through the ball to Sippio or D Bowe or Tony Gonzalez, or we could just hammer the ball in with LJ. No excuse.

Hydrae
07-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Just curious, how fast is Wes Welker? He doesn't seem like a burner but he may have been as important to the Patriots last year as Moss. If Sippio can run decent routes (no idea, I have never seen that question asked about him) and catches everything thrown his way how do you not put him on the field. I must be missing somthing here.

DaKCMan AP
07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Just curious, how fast is Wes Welker? He doesn't seem like a burner but he may have been as important to the Patriots last year as Moss. If Sippio can run decent routes (no idea, I have never seen that question asked about him) and catches everything thrown his way how do you not put him on the field. I must be missing somthing here.

I think Welker ran a 4.60. While he doesn't have great track speed, Welker has tremendous football speed and quickness plus he runs great routes.

aturnis
07-30-2008, 07:11 PM
If Sippio can run decent routes (no idea, I have never seen that question asked about him) and catches everything thrown his way how do you not put him on the field. I must be missing somthing here.

Especially in short yardage 3rd or 4th down situations. With LJ you know the defense is thinking run. So why not put Sippio in there, running a quick slant, hit him in the hands and boom, first down.

I asked myself this question 100 times last year.

aturnis
07-30-2008, 07:11 PM
So nobody's at all interested in the chance that Nappy Harris is on the cusp?

milkman
07-30-2008, 07:13 PM

I would be if I had any confidence in Bob Gretz.

blueballs
07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Sippio is what he is: a guy who catches everything thrown in his direction,

yet i have this lasting image
of him that's just the opposite

Rain Man
07-30-2008, 07:22 PM
The interesting thing about this is that Gretz will never, ever report anything that's controversial or breaking news without first being absolutely sure that the Chiefs approve of it. If he's reporting that Nap Harris is on the bubble, it's because the Chiefs told him to report it. I suspect they're trying to light a fire under Harris.

shaneo69
07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Just a guess here at this point without any pre-season action, but from what I’ve seen and what Mike Priefer has assigned on the special teams, I think the linebackers will be:
Edwards/Johnson/Thomas/Williams/Kuale/Rumph and either Dacus or Harris. I think right now Harris is on the bubble.

Boy that's a stellar set of LB's right there.

FAX
07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
The interesting thing about this is that Gretz will never, ever report anything that's controversial or breaking news without first being absolutely sure that the Chiefs approve of it. If he's reporting that Nap Harris is on the bubble, it's because the Chiefs told him to report it. I suspect they're trying to light a fire under Harris.

Good point. Or looking for an offer, maybe.

FAX

Mecca
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Especially in short yardage 3rd or 4th down situations. With LJ you know the defense is thinking run. So why not put Sippio in there, running a quick slant, hit him in the hands and boom, first down.

I asked myself this question 100 times last year.

Probably because he's big, slow and not shifty or quick, to get open in the slot you have to have a quickness and shiftyness about you, because you have to shake a defender very quickly.

cdcox
07-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Boy that's a stellar set of LB's right there.

It wasn't very long ago when the LBs were touted as the strength of the defense. I still think the defensive personnel are closer to average than elite. This is going to be a long year.

FAX
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm 100 percent certain that you're 100 percent right, Mr. cdcox.

Then again, we really haven't seen all of these guys in an actual, real NFL game. I'm pulling back to 98 percent until then.

FAX

cdcox
07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm 100 percent certain that you're 100 percent right, Mr. cdcox.

Then again, we really haven't seen all of these guys in an actual, real NFL game. I'm pulling back to 98 percent until then.

FAX

An that is why I'll always be 2% ahead of you, FAX. That and I don't chew gum.

SNR
07-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Damn. Steve Octavien was my first choice UDFA this year that would make the team. He's not even on the list with THOSE miserable little pukes.

SBK
07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Our LB's make the 2000 Ravens core look weak.

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I think Welker ran a 4.60. While he doesn't have great track speed, Welker has tremendous football speed and quickness plus he runs great routes.
Plus they put Welker into positions that make him successful, you know coaching and creating mismatches with the defense... Kind of like that circus arena league crap DV used to run. Just a bunch of nonsense if you ask me!

Reerun_KC
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Our LB's make the 2000 Ravens core look weak.:eek:

FAX
07-30-2008, 11:15 PM
An that is why I'll always be 2% ahead of you, FAX. That and I don't chew gum.

It's that last 2 percent that's the difference between winning or losing, Mr. cdcox. Triumph or failure, victory or defeat, perky breastesses or long, slack, wobbly tittahs, and, of course, Herm or eveybody else.

As for the gum, I've seen the light (Actually, I leave it off because you can't see the spot as easily) and made the switch from gum to those fabulous Life Savers candy circles. If you haven't tried them yet, I urge you to do so. You can get the 5 flavor bag pretty cheap and you get a whole bunch of circles - each individually wrapped. You get watermelon, pineapple, cherry, orange, and raspberry. It's a pretty good deal.

FAX

Der Flöprer
07-31-2008, 12:28 AM
I had an interesting passage this morning at work. It probably smelled a lot better than Bob.

alanm
07-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Damn. Steve Octavien was my first choice UDFA this year that would make the team. He's not even on the list with THOSE miserable little pukes.
Octavien is a guy who probably should go on the practice squad. Unless someone snatches him first. Thomas sounds like a keeper at the moment.

alanm
07-31-2008, 12:49 AM
I was more surprised to find out that Svitek has crested the cusp.
Herm must of finally found the pictures. :D

KCrockaholic
07-31-2008, 01:17 AM
I love the thought of using a 3-4 in certain situations...which in reality, our D is more built for the 3-4 rather than the 4-3.