PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs camp buzz: Edwards hopes there aren’t fights at joint practice

Tribal Warfare
07-30-2008, 11:35 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/727738.html

Chiefs camp buzz: Edwards hopes there aren’t fights at joint practice

Chiefs hope for civil joint practice

Coach Herm Edwards said Wednesday he hopes a handful of scuffles during the Chiefs’ morning session don’t foretell more fights during Kansas City’s practice tonight with the Minnesota Vikings.

During last year’s joint practice at Mankato, Minn., some players had to be separated after losing their tempers. With the circus that is Jared Allen, things could get spirited quickly.

“I hope that’s all it is, practice; we don’t get into, every 10 minutes have a fistfight. We don’t want that. That doesn’t do anybody any good,” Edwards said.

Vikings coach Brad Childress might limit Allen’s time against his former teammates, saying: “I don’t know if they will see him. I’m going to be selective in the guys that need to compete over there because I want to look at as many young guys as I can.”

Certainly the Chiefs were spirited Wednesday when a few plays ended with shoving matches. Things escalated during passing drills. Right tackle Damion McIntosh and middle linebacker Pat Thomas had an altercation after a play, and McIntosh wound up on top of Thomas, the 328-pounder punching the 237-pounder on the turf.

The pair had to be separated, and McIntosh went to the sideline for a few minutes while Thomas stayed in.

Middle linebacker update

The Chiefs’ middle linebacker carousel kept spinning Wednesday, with newly promoted Thomas hearing about his mistakes from coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

Thomas was elevated to first team Tuesday after Demorrio Williams and Napoleon Harris continued their training camp struggles. Thomas, though, made a mistake during a drill Wednesday morning, and Cunningham called him after the drill for a chat.

“I guess I’ve got to go trade for somebody,” Cunningham said.

Edwards said he expected middle linebacker to be one of the Chiefs’ most competitive positions.

“There’s going to be movement there,” Edwards said. “It’s not unusual, but we’ve got to get it cleaned up.

What you need to know about ...

THE OFFENSE
Running back Larry Johnson and quarterback Brodie Croyle didn’t practice Wednesday morning because Edwards said they needed a rest. Kolby Smith replaced Johnson on first-team snaps, and Tyler Thigpen stood in for Croyle. … Left guard Brian Waters and tight end Tony Gonzalez were given the afternoon off. … Rookie tailback Jamaal Charles had an impressive catch-and-run Wednesday when he caught a screen and turned it upfield for a big gain.

THE DEFENSE
Linebacker Donnie Edwards intercepted a pass by Thigpen in the right flat. … Rookie defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey went around the left side of the offensive line and would have had an easy sack of Thigpen if defenders were allowed to tackle quarterbacks.

INJURY REPORT
Defensive end Tamba Hali sat out Wednesday morning’s practice after he again cut an area near the bridge of his nose Tuesday. He wore a bandage between his eyes Wednesday afternoon to protect the wound he initially suffered last year. … Right tackle McIntosh had his right leg wrapped in thick tape and an Ace bandage. He left the morning practice early and missed the afternoon session, but he was able to walk on the leg. … Defensive ends Trevor Johnson (headaches) and Brian Johnston (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
The Chiefs will have a late-morning walkthrough and will hold their annual joint practice with the Vikings at 6:30 p.m.