Reerun_KC
07-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Just in time for the Royals-Sox FOX game of the week Saturday
That will sell some tickets...

BigRedChief
07-31-2008, 08:26 AM
The Reds have agreed to trade Ken Griffey Jr. to the Chicago White Sox

CBS Sports.
I hope he gets his World Series ring. During the steriod era he got his 600 home runs the right way. Clean.

If he had taken steriods maybe he wouldn't have had all the injuries? Or at least would have healed faster and made a run at Hank Arrons home run mark instead of Steriod boy.

Frazod
07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
His numbers are down this year. He's only batting .245.

Not a move I would have made.

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2008, 08:28 AM
:( He should have gone to Tampa.

Blindside58
07-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Griffey jr. belongs in the American league. I hate to see him in a White Sox jersey, but I am glad to see him back.

Frazod
07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
:( He should have gone to Tampa.

Do you really want to trade young prospects an injury prone old fart who's hitting .245?

POND_OF_RED
07-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Damn. I wish he would have taken Edmonds place on the north side instead. Still don't think he brings enough to the team to put them over the Angels in the AL.

Demonpenz
07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
I don't know if Griffey is clean or not. I don't think for a second that just because he doesn't looked roided up he hasn't done them. Some of the biggest steriod people in the world are bicyclists and swimmers.

banyon
07-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Jul 31 The Reds have agreed to trade Griffey to the White Sox, but he needs to waive his no-trade clause, FoxSports reports.
Recommendation: It's not clear where Griffey would play in Chicago - perhaps this means less time for Paul Konerko with Nick Swisher headed to first base. No word yet on who the Reds would get in return.

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Do you really want to trade young prospects an injury prone old fart who's hitting .245?

No, not good young prospects.

BigRedChief
07-31-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't know if Griffey is clean or not. I don't think for a second that just because he doesn't looked roided up he hasn't done them. Some of the biggest steriod people in the world are bicyclists and swimmers.
Awww jezuz h christ. Just because you hit home runs doesn't mean you take steriods.

No one has ever even hinted that he has even once tried the juice in any form at any time.

You some kind of hater?

vailpass
07-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Career over. Too bad it had to end with the red headed step child team.

Demonpenz
07-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Awww jezuz h christ. Just because you hit home runs doesn't mean you take steriods.

No one has ever even hinted that he has even once tried the juice in any form at any time.

You some kind of hater?

I am not a hater. The fact is you can't prove if a player did or didn't do steriods based on the way they look or what they say.

Molitoth
07-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Griffey was always my fav baseball player, expecially with the Mariners... it sucks he is going to a team I absolutley hate.

BigRedChief
07-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I am not a hater. The fact is you can't prove if a player did or didn't do steriods based on the way they look or what they say.
So its guilty until they prove it differently? And how would they prove that to you?

vailpass
07-31-2008, 09:03 AM

You are 100% correct however you CAN tell by looking if someone has the sweetest swing in baseball. For a long time that honor belonged to KG Jr. IMHO.
The guy hit the ball because he was born to hit the ball. Genetics + practice = swing so pretty it makes you cry.

Demonpenz
07-31-2008, 09:04 AM
So its guilty until they prove it differently? And how would they prove that to you?

I don't know for sure what really happened for sure. So to say "He did it the right way." Or something like that, I wouldn't say anything to that effect because you don't know that for sure.

Demonpenz
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
You are 100% correct however you CAN tell by looking if someone has the sweetest swing in baseball. For a long time that honor belonged to KG Jr. IMHO.
The guy hit the ball because he was born to hit the ball. Genetics + practice = swing so pretty it makes you cry.

Great swing, great jump on the ball in centerfield, and a stacked team that was awesome to watch in the day

vailpass
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Great swing, great jump on the ball in centerfield, and a stacked team that was awesome to watch in the day

Yes sir you are correct sir. I hate that Jr. got hurt. IMHO if he hadn't people would say "Barry WHO"?

smittysbar
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM

I guess some people think, if you are good, and powerful, in that era, they have to on the juice.

vailpass
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
I guess some people think, if you are good, and powerful, in that era, they have to on the juice.

It sucks but it's not like people that think that way don't have a reason based on fact.

smittysbar
07-31-2008, 09:10 AM
It sucks but it's not like people that think that way don't have a reason based on fact.

True, the MLB let this spiral out of control. Now the good guys reps will forever be tarnished.

SBK
07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Injuries derailed one of the best players of all time.

Demonpenz
07-31-2008, 09:12 AM

I don't think that at all. I also don't give griffey a pass based on his word and his body type. The fact remains since there was no drug testing back then. You don't know, even if there was drug testing you don't know if he went around it. Unless you are there with him all the time, or his trainer or him, you aren't qualified to say "He did it the right way" I think the pubic knows less about players private lives than they are willing to admit. How many times does it have to happen where players we love come out wife beaters (kirby puckett)?

vailpass
07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
True, the MLB let this spiral out of control. Now the good guys reps will forever be tarnished.

QFT

BigRedChief
07-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Injuries derailed one of the best players of all time.
He had every temptation to roid up. Most every other home run hitter was doing it. There was no testing. He's getting older and getting hurt. It's taking longer to recover. He had a chance to be the home run champ of all time. But he didn't roid up.

After all the investigations and players turning each other in don't you think that someone would have ratted out "The kid" for a book deal if it was true?

Infidel Goat
07-31-2008, 09:37 AM

You some kind of hater?

Yeah. Nobody has ever hinted he's taken the juice...

http://www.joesportsfan.com/jsfpics/columns3/kengriffeyjrsimpsons.jpg

Demonpenz
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Here is one article on why I don't like taking the players words

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060314&content_id=1349646&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Griffey said he knows nothing about Bonds using performance-enhancing drugs and said that all of Bonds' 708 homers were accomplished "naturally." Bonds goes into the season six homers behind Babe Ruth's 714 and 47 in arrears of Hank Aaron's 755.

RJ
07-31-2008, 09:40 AM
From Rotoworld:

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Ken Griffey Jr. has accepted a trade to the White Sox.
No word yet on what the Reds are getting in return, but Rosenthal notes that the deal likely involves at least $1 million in cash because it's now pending the approval of the commissioner.
Source: FOXSports.com

Short Leash Hootie
07-31-2008, 09:46 AM

He has an OBP of .355 and has 15 HR's and 53 RBI's...they aren't Griffey esque numbers but they aren't 'awful' by any means...he still puts the ball in play (only 60 K's or so)...I just don't see how he fits in with the Sox...they've wanted him for a LONG time...might be a way to put people in the stands I'm thinking.

Priest31kc
07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
MY favorite ATHLETE of all time. Im kinda shocked by this!! I HATE the White Sox, and every "analyst" kept saying he wouldnt get traded. I might be driving 2 hours to the K this weekend to see my fav. team v. my fav. athlete.

Im so glad hes back in the AL but not glad hes with one of my hated teams. i will root for him and thats it.

BigRedChief
07-31-2008, 10:37 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25946696/
Griffey okays the trade to the Sox.

ohiobronco2
07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
We were lucky to have him as a Red, but I wish that he had stayed away. Maybe those injuries wouldn't have happened in another uniform. Without those injuries, you could have made a case that he was the best their has ever been.

DeezNutz
07-31-2008, 11:32 AM
I used to love watching Griffey play back in the day, and I would go out to the K specifically to watch him. It's unfortunate that this trade is going to force me to hate him for a year or two.

Thig Lyfe
07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Griffey was always my fav baseball player, expecially with the Mariners... it sucks he is going to a team I absolutley hate.

Same here. It's nice that he might get a shot at a ring, though. I might have to root for the White Sox to win it all and then immediately die of SARS (Griffey excepted, of course).

Demonpenz
07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
I remember going out there to the K. I def didn't get cheated on major league talent.

Arod, Randy johnson, Griffey, Jay buener, edgar martenz, Harold reynolds, Ichiro suzuki, Ibanuez

Consistent1
07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Demonpenz makes a good point about Griffey. There really isn't any way to know about the drug thing 100%. I tend to doubt it, but it is possible. His problem seems to be that he just can't stay healthy. It would not surprise me one bit if he goes to the Sox and gets hurt. I still do not understand for a minute why nobody has picked up Bonds. All kinds of other dudes who admitted drug use, or were caught, are still playing. He is still better than all of them. I believe that Bonds has gotten taken a bad rap because things worked out well for him. I like him much more than Griffey.

DeezNutz
07-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I remember going out there to the K. I def didn't get cheated on major league talent.

Arod, Randy johnson, Griffey, Jay buener, edgar martenz, Harold reynolds, Ichiro suzuki, Ibanuez

Bedard was always really tough on the Royals, too.

Fruit Ninja
07-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I hope he gets his World Series ring. During the steriod era he got his 600 home runs the right way. Clean.

If he had taken steriods maybe he wouldn't have had all the injuries? Or at least would have healed faster and made a run at Hank Arrons home run mark instead of Steriod boy.

He would have shattered it. He was on a massive HR pace. Its a damned shame his knee's gave out on him the way it did. He is really one of the all time greats of this game.

Valiant
07-31-2008, 12:28 PM

Really?? Everybody I know that takes roids to get stronger noticeably got bigger.. Head got bigger, arms got bigger...

Sure people take the roids to heal quicker, but with Griffey's numerous injuries you would wonder how it never got leaked if he did..

BigRedChief
07-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Really?? Everybody I know that takes roids to get stronger noticeably got bigger.. Head got bigger, arms got bigger...

Sure people take the roids to heal quicker, but with Griffey's numerous injuries you would wonder how it never got leaked if he did..
My point exactly. Okay you don't trust a players words. Fine. Some steriod users don't bulk up when they take them, change their body shape. Okay.

But there is too much money out there for selling your story if you knew Griffey was involved in steriods. Somebody would have talked by now.

Consistent1
07-31-2008, 12:42 PM

It is all in how it's done. Most people really know very little about steroids, period. Yeah, test will make your face get puffy and all that. It can be controlled though. If Griffey were juicing up, it could possibly account for all his injuries. Yeah, it helps recovery, but some people also get hurt easier juicing up due to joints, ligaments, etc. not being used to a heavier load. The reason the people you have known have gotten bigger is simple. They ate a lot. For the average person it is a bad investment to not try to get bigger. All these track athletes, swimmers, and Tour De France type dudes go about things differently. Yet the still get benefits from it. Hey, Lance Armstrong is still a hero to most who hate Barry. Same can be be said of male strippers and models.

Consistent1
07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
My point exactly. Okay you don't trust a players words. Fine. Some steriod users don't bulk up when they take them, change their body shape. Okay.

But there is too much money out there for selling your story if you knew Griffey was involved in steriods. Somebody would have talked by now.

This is true, but there is also the possibility of very limited knowledge with these guys. Do you think that pro athletes go buy stuff out of a dudes car at the gym? It is very possible that only one other person knows in many of these cases. For the guys selling, they would love to have have that info, I agree. Noboby jumps up and says that a ton of NFL players use drugs. You know why? They are careful and some people are to be trusted. I think Griffey is clean. He maybe should have juiced up, but that is another topic. He is rich and does not give a crap at this point.