PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Obama's Arrogant Image Hits Mainstream

BigCatDaddy
07-31-2008, 10:40 AM
I see this as his downfall in the end.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080731/pl_politico/12205

Barack Obama’s critics laid down the foundations of the strategy months ago: The Republican National Committee started the “Audacity Watch” back in April, and Karl Rove later fueled the attack by describing the first-term Illinois senator as “coolly arrogant.”

ADVERTISEMENT

It wasn’t until the last week, however, that the narrative of Obama as a president-in-waiting — and perhaps getting impatient in that waiting — began reverberating beyond the inboxes of Washington operatives and journalists.

Perhaps one of the clearest indications emerged Tuesday from the world of late-night comedy, when David Letterman offered his “Top Ten Signs Barack Obama is Overconfident.” The examples included Obama proposing to change the name of Oklahoma to “Oklobama” and measuring his head for Mount Rushmore.

“When Letterman is doing ‘Top Ten’ lists about something, it has officially entered the public consciousness,” said Dan Schnur, a political analyst from the University of Southern California and the communications director in John McCain’s 2000 campaign. “And it usually stays there for a long, long time.”

Following a nine-day, eight-country tour that carried the ambition and stagecraft of a presidential state visit, Obama has found himself in an unusual position: the butt of jokes.

Jon Stewart teased that the presumptive Democratic nominee traveled to Israel to visit his birthplace at Bethlehem’s Manger Square. New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd amplified the McCain campaign’s private nickname for Obama (“The One”).

And the snickers about Obama’s perceived smugness may have a very real political impact as McCain's camp launched its most forceful effort yet to define him negatively. It released a TV ad Wednesday describing Obama as the “biggest celebrity in the world,” comparable to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, stars who are famous for attitude rather than accomplishments.

The harsher treatment from comedians and columnists — coupled with the shift by McCain from attacking on policy to character issues — underscores the fine line that Obama is walking between confident and cocky. Once at pains to present himself as presidential, Obama now faces criticism for doing it too well.

“I was puzzled by this notion that somehow what we were doing was in any way different from what Sen. McCain or a lot of presidential candidates have done in the past,” Obama said Sunday, speaking about his trip at a conference of minority journalists. “Now, I admit we did it really well. But that shouldn't be a strike against me.”

Obama and his supporters dismissed the line of attack as the latest desperate missive from a foundering Republican campaign.

Bloggers at the Huffington Post launched a backlash to the backlash against Obama’s overseas trip, arguing in part that he wouldn’t face such criticism of acting premature if he were white. Separately, the Obama campaign pushed back hard at journalists who used a report that detailed Obama’s move to assemble a transition team to describe him as presumptuous by pointing to an interview in which McCain had owned up to the same thing.

Some Democratic operatives described the narrative as a Beltway creation, the pastime of journalists looking to keep the presidential race competitive.

"Self-absorbed press speculation,” concluded consultant Bob Shrum, the chief strategist during John Kerry’s 2004 presidential campaign. “Most Americans are not paying the slightest bit of attention to this.”

Mark Mellman, a pollster for Kerry, said Obama acted the same when he was struggling last year against Hillary Rodham Clinton.

“The only people who are making him seem inevitable are the commentariat,” Mellman said. “He seemed this confident and self possessed when he was down 30 points to Hillary Clinton. He is a confident and self possessed person.”

Republicans have long tried to turn his assuredness into a shortcoming. National party operatives began sending e-mails to reporters in the spring detailing some of Obama’s bolder moves, including using a faux presidential seal at a policy roundtable. The RNC rolled the headlines onto one site, “Barack Obama Audacity Watch,” that it unveiled Wednesday.

The McCain campaign piled on with its “Celeb” ad, which juxtaposed Obama’s speech to 200,000 people in Berlin with photos of Spears and Hilton.

“Do the American people want to elect the world’s biggest celebrity, or do they want to elect an American hero?” Steve Schmidt, one of McCain’s top aides, asked on a conference call.

They stayed personal later in the day when responding to Obama’s suggestion at a Missouri town hall that Republicans would use his unusual name and his race to paint him as a risky choice.

“This is a typically superfluous response from Barack Obama. Like most celebrities, he reacts to fair criticism with a mix of fussiness and hysteria,” McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said.

Later Wednesday, the Obama campaign responded within hours to the “Celeb” ad with one of its own, accusing McCain of taking the “low road” and “practicing the politics of the past.”

Responding to questions from reporters about McCain's ad, Obama said: “I do notice that he doesn’t seem to have anything to say very positive about himself.”

The strategy has very real potential dangers for Team McCain. Obama’s unmistakable charisma and his campaign’s deft brand of stagecraft have created an often lopsided contrast with McCain’s sometimes painful-to-watch public events. As presidents as diverse as Ronald Reagan and John Kennedy showed, Americans do like a touch of celebrity in their commander in chief; though not too much.

Obama’s steely sense of self-confidence, even destiny, is also one of the traits his supporters like most and which could, as the fall campaign heats up, be one of the qualities that help him make the sale.

But the slippery slope for Obama is allowing a McCain campaign that is searching for a consistent theme with which to attack him to latch on to a way of making him seem alien to ordinary Americans. Douglas Schoen, a Democratic pollster, argued that Obama was not yet in a danger zone, but he needs to pay heed to the gathering storm.

“My sense is that all of those attacks individually are frankly not particularly potent, but taken together, they are creating a narrative about Obama that is not helpful,” said Schoen, who worked on President Bill Clinton's 1996 reelection campaign. “It is a warning sign for Obama that he’s got to get back on the trail and make the case that there is a real contrast.”

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 10:47 AM
What ad? :spock:

There was already a poll done recently on what people thought of Obama and McCain's arrogance. 33% said Obama was arrogant and 34% said McCain was arrogant.

Direckshun
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
CNN just had a survey on this that said only roughly 37% of people polled felt Obama was arrogant. McCain's was about the same, mid-30's if I remember correctly.

Of course, I feel like Obama is incredibly arrogant, and I've expressed that as a concern before around these parts. There are worse foibles to have, though.

Direckshun
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM

There was already a poll done recently on what people thought of Obama and McCain's arrogance. 33% said Obama was arrogant and 34% said McCain was arrogant.
Great minds, I suppose.

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Kinda, though I'm 99.999999999% positive the poll had McCain at a higher percentage for arrogance. Or maybe they were two different polls.

Either way, there's nobody that's ever run for the office of President that hasn't been cocky/arrogant. You have to be to think you can and should rule the free world.

VAChief
07-31-2008, 10:50 AM
I see this as his downfall in the end.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080731/pl_politico/12205

Barack Obama’s critics laid down the foundations of the strategy months ago: The Republican National Committee started the “Audacity Watch” back in April, and Karl Rove later fueled the attack by describing the first-term Illinois senator as “coolly arrogant.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Coming from Mr. Turd Blossom I'm guessing that will be viewed as more of an endorsement for most people in the middle who will decide this race.

Donger
07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
I've been saying it for months.

BigCatDaddy
07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
When was the poll taken? I think the more this gets coverage like on Letterman, the more likely it is to stick with him. I think this might be McCain's best shot. I love sports analogies, so he needs to make this the underdog Giants and trying to take down the Arrogant Undefeated Pats.

Donger
07-31-2008, 10:58 AM
When was the poll taken? I think the more this gets coverage like on Letterman, the more likely it is to stick with him. I think this might be McCain's best shot. I love sports analogies, so he needs to make this the underdog Giants and trying to take down the Arrogant Undefeated Pats.

"More than four in 10 say they think Obama is acting like he's already won the election, and nearly that many say McCain is attacking him unfairly. Just over a third think both are arrogant."

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 11:00 AM
When was the poll taken?

This past week-ish.

I think the more this gets coverage like on Letterman, the more likely it is to stick with him. I think this might be McCain's best shot. I love sports analogies, so he needs to make this the underdog Giants and trying to take down the Arrogant Undefeated Pats.

Uh, the Giants were arrogant as all hell. In fact, they had a ton more arrogant personalities than the Patriots did.

BigCatDaddy
07-31-2008, 11:06 AM
This past week-ish.

Uh, the Giants were arrogant as all hell. In fact, they had a ton more arrogant personalities than the Patriots did.

Are you kidding me? Bellicheck's ego is bigger then the Giant's team combined.

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Are you kidding me? Bellicheck's ego is bigger then the Giant's team combined.

Remind me who it was that went and predicted victory.

acesn8s
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM

And the other 33% are independants that will vote on merit and not for the person that is a party's presidential canidate.

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 11:12 AM
And the other 33% are independants that will vote on merit and not for the person that is a party's presidential canidate.

I don't even know the point you're making, but that poll isn't zero sum. You can think Obama and McCain are both arrogant. You can also be supporting one of the two candidates and not think they're arrogant.

BigCatDaddy
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Remind me who it was that went and predicted victory.

I don't recall, but I would bet their ego is still a fraction of Bellichecks.

memyselfI
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
I've been saying it for months.

Me too. Scary. :D

whatsmynameagain
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
arrogance? compared to what? rofl!!! the current admin is the most arrogant in history. Posted via Mobile Device

Calcountry
07-31-2008, 12:20 PM
"More than four in 10 say they think Obama is acting like he's already won the election, and nearly that many say McCain is attacking him unfairly. Just over a third think both are arrogant."
Considering that he will not follow the constitution, why shouldn't he act as if he has won the election already?

He acted like he won the nomination from Hillary months before he won it, in fact, they haven't had the convention yet.

HC_Chief
07-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Jon Stewart teased that the presumptive Democratic nominee traveled to Israel to visit his birthplace at Bethlehem’s Manger Square.

ROFL

HC_Chief
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
arrogance? compared to what? rofl!!! the current admin is the most arrogant in history. Posted via Mobile Device

Your and idiot. <font size=1>Posted via Mobile Device, impressed? I got a bike too! Chicks totally dig it.</i>

mlyonsd
07-31-2008, 02:45 PM
How can you run for President and not be arrogant?

memyselfI
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
How can you run for President and not be arrogant?

I disagree. I think you need a healthy ego but arrogance is not the same thing.

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
I think you need a healthy ego...

Which is totally why you've called him 'Egobama'.

penchief
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Your and idiot. <font size=1>Posted via Mobile Device, impressed? I got a bike too! Chicks totally dig it.</i>

No he's not. He's right on the money.

Not only is the Bush Administration arrogant, it's petulent and ignorant, too. They've proven it throught their actions over eight years. They have zero respect for anything but their own hubris. No presidency in my memory has been so disgraceful as this one.

VAChief
07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Man than are some big pussies in here if this scares them.

memyselfI
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Which is totally why you've called him 'Egobama'.

Did ya miss the world HEALTHY?

I would not call narcissism healthy ego.

penchief
07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, that Obama is one uppity.........

See, this is what it's all about for the republican party. The right-wing smear machine has to come up with something. They shot their "he's a liar" wad with Gore "the exaggerator" and Kerry "the flip-flopping dishonorable war veteran." So now they have to smear Obama's character in a way that won't be so transparent and in a way that the corporate media can sell the public.

God forbid that the republicans ever run a campaign on their own merits. And God forbid that the corporate media would do its job and focus on the issues and keep the candidates honest while holding them accountable for their policy proposals and their plans for governing.

Anyone who has eyes and ears should be able to recognize what the hell is happening here. And anyone with an ounce of objectivity has got to be discouraged at the way the republican party has dragged the political discourse in this country down to the gutter. It's disgraceful and pathetic the way some people will perpetuate such obvious dishonesty. Meanwhile the corporate media runs with every little smear against Obama while giving McCain a free pass for his total lack of integrity and honesty.

IMO, I think the corporate media is going to try to help the business crooks and war profiteers steal another election. All hail to corporate fascism!

memyselfI
07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Did anyone see the video of HIS flock singing Happy Birthday to HIM and singing 'Happy Birthday, Mr. President, Happy Birthday to you...'

Of course HE was there soaking it up. ROFL if HE ends up losing after anointing HIMself the One.

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 04:27 PM
OMG UNHEALTHY EGOBAMA

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Did anyone see the video of HIS flock singing Happy Birthday to HIM and singing 'Happy Birthday, Mr. President, Happy Birthday to you...'

Of course HE was there soaking it up. ROFL if HE ends up losing after anointing HIMself the One.

You would've had zero problem pulling the level for Hillary, who anointed herself the Democratic nominee before voting even started.

Donger
07-31-2008, 04:29 PM

Do you really think that anyone here who opposes Barack Hussein's candidacy does so because of his race?

penchief
07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Do you really think that anyone here who opposes Barack Hussein's candidacy does so because of his race?

Why would you think I think that?

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM

I think the only one who could qualify for that would be CCW, and I don't know for certain what It's motives are.

The people who like to make jokes about Obama's race/background weren't voting for him to begin with, and if he were a generic white politician they'd just be making fun of something else because he's a Democrat.

Donger
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Why would you think I think that?

See, this is what it's all about for the republican party.

memyselfI
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
You would've had zero problem pulling the level for Hillary, who anointed herself the Democratic nominee before voting even started.

Hillary has owned pantsuits longer than NObama had been a pion in DC. ROFL

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Hillary has owned pantsuits longer than NObama had been a pion in DC. ROFL

Hillary has owned pantsuits longer than John Edwards had been a pion in DC.

memyselfI
07-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Hillary has owned pantsuits longer than John Edwards had been a pion in DC.

Wow, that was deep. If I were supporting NObama I'd find ways to divert attention from NObama's 143 day tenure in Congress too. :clap:

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow, that was deep. If I were supporting NObama I'd find ways to divert attention from NObama's 143 day tenure in Congress too. :clap:

I don't care about time in the Senate and clearly neither did you when you were supporting John Edwards. Why does it matter all of a sudden?

penchief
07-31-2008, 04:43 PM

See, this is what it's all about for the republican party.

I don't know what you're asking me. Arrogant and uppity are synonyms. The republican party and you want people to fear Obama's arrogance. I get what you're saying.

IMO, the epitomy of arrogance is making false claims against another person's character or repeating lies about another person in order to do them harm. Whisper campaigns, innuendo, and rumor are as low as it gets.

memyselfI
07-31-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't care about time in the Senate and clearly neither did you when you were supporting John Edwards. Why does it matter all of a sudden?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Robbedvoter/Interesting%20times/Obuma.jpg?t=1217536706

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Robbedvoter/Interesting%20times/Obuma.jpg?t=1217536706

I never get tired of watching you wave the white flag.

***SPRAYER
07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
if he were a generic white politician

He would never have been an illinois legislator...
He would not have become a US Senator...

And he most certainly would not have beaten Hillary in the primary.

:)

penchief
07-31-2008, 04:58 PM

What makes you so sure?

He sure does come accross as very competent. He seems to be very intelligent. He seems to be very eloquent. And he seems to have an even disposition. All of which are characteristics of successful people.

How would his color detract in any way from those qualities?

***SPRAYER
07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
What makes you so sure?

He sure does come accross as very competent. He seems to be very intelligent. He seems to be very eloquent. And he seems to have an even disposition. All of which are characteristics of successful people.

How would his color detract in any way from those qualities?

:LOL:

penchief
07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
:LOL:

heh.....

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 06:14 PM

Prolly. It's pretty clear it doesn't get any more advantageous in politics than being black.

***SPRAYER
07-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Prolly. It's pretty clear it doesn't get any more advantageous in politics than being black.

Only if you are a Democrat.

VAChief
07-31-2008, 07:33 PM

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Only if you are a Democrat.

True. A black candidate? Republicans would never fall for that shit.

beer bacon
07-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Barack Obama only has 95% of the African-American vote locked down. He realizes that his last hurdle is to lock down 97% of the black vote. In this context, it is obvious why he played the race card.

Calcountry
07-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Barack Obama only has 95% of the African-American vote locked down. He realizes that his last hurdle is to lock down 97% of the black vote. In this context, it is obvious why he played the race card.
ROFL, this is also why, it won't hurt to call McCain a racist, because, the Whoopi Goldbergs won't vote for him anyway, so wtf do you gain by it?

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 08:12 PM
ROFL, this is also why, it won't hurt to call McCain a racist, because, the Whoopi Goldbergs won't vote for him anyway, so wtf do you gain by it?

Nobody called McCain a racist, and doing so would very easily hurt Obama's campaign.

StcChief
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
the race card...Michelle did that, more to come in next few months

VAChief
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
the race card...Michelle did that, more to come in next few months

That should give you time to put a fresh coat of paint on your lawn jockey.

Ultra Peanut
07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
"I'm good looking' like Barack Obama. I love my oatmeal like John McCain."

http://i37.tinypic.com/33xeyyr.jpg

penchief
08-01-2008, 06:31 AM

Exactly. Nothing is to be gained from it. But it is clear that the McCain campaign is trying to spook people away from Obama by trying to paint him as the boogyman. No matter how artfully Obama tries to respond to the sordid manner of McCain's personal attacks, his answers are being scrutinized for more reasons to make accusations against him instead of scrutinizing the merit of the personal attack.

There is nothing substantive about McCain's campaign. Nothing at all. He's running a campaign of personal smears. It is the typical republican tact of character assassination that we have all come to know. It is their pattern. Why on earth would anybody, republican or democrat, take the republican party seriously anymore. If it weren't for the corporate media playing up McCain's attacks and playing down his horrendous performance, the race wouldn't even be close.

God forbid the republican party would ever want any campaign to be about issues. Of course, if it were strictly about issues they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Which is why they play the fear card day in and day out.

***SPRAYER
08-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Exactly. Nothing is to be gained from it. But it is clear that the McCain campaign is trying to spook people away from Obama by trying to paint him as the boogyman.

He is the boogyman.

SBK
08-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Penchief brings the A game with every post, smacking down limp wieners around here on a daily basis.

Ari Chi3fs
08-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Bush and Cheney are two of the most arrogant cockphags on the face of the earth.

bkkcoh
08-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Pretty Arrogant (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/03/politics/fromtheroad/entry4317827.shtml)

Does he think he is entitled to be president?

Or does he think he already is president?

Fish
08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
An arrogant and over-confident politician?

Ohh the horror!

***SPRAYER
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Penchief brings the A game with every post, smacking down limp wieners around here on a daily basis.

ROFL