PDA

View Full Version : Poop Exxon profits exceed 12,000,000,000 for 3 months this year

Mr. Flopnuts
07-31-2008, 06:39 PM
That's $1500 a second. Profit. I love these guys. Don't you?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22947685

Exxon Earnings Soar on Record Oil Prices
Topics:Stock Market | Earnings
Sectors:Oil and Gas
Companies:Exxon Mobil Corp
By Reuters | 01 Feb 2008 | 08:31 AM ET
Font size:

Exxon Mobil said Friday record oil prices boosted its fourth-quarter earnings to $11.66 billion, the highest ever operating profit by a U.S. company.

Exxon Mobile
Robert F. Bukaty / AP

Shares of the world's largest non-government-controlled oil company rose 1.7 percent in before-the-bell trading as the results beat Wall Street forecasts.

Net income rose nearly 14 percent from the year-earlier of $10.25 billion.

Earnings per share rose to $2.13 from $1.76 last year.

Analysts, on average, were expecting earnings of $1.98 per share.

"They performed across the board, upstream, downstream, U.S. and foreign," said James Halloran, who helps manage about $35 billion at National City Private Client Group.

Revenue in the quarter rose to $116.64 billion from $90.03 billion in 2006.

Oil prices averaged more than $90 a barrel during the quarter and nearly hit $100 due to tight supplies, geopolitical risks and the weak dollar. They averaged just over $60 a barrel in the same period a year earlier.

Profit margins from refining were relatively weak in the quarter as gasoline prices failed to keep pace with oil prices that soared to record levels.

Skip Towne
07-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Donger said this is OK.

FAX
07-31-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty confident that Exxon, as well as the rest of the big oil gang, would be more than happy to invest some of this money in off-shore or Alaskan drilling. But, noooo.

Americans is idiots.

FAX

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm pretty confident that Exxon, as well as the rest of the big oil gang, would be more than happy to invest some of this money in off-shore or Alaskan drilling. But, noooo.

Americans is idiots.

FAX

Or put research and development into inventing a vehicle that runs on shit, piss, douche and semen, but noooo, that would take away their stranglehold on transportation resources.

BWillie
07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Or put research and development into inventing a vehicle that runs on shit, piss, douche and semen, but noooo, that would take away their stranglehold on transportation resources.

Or just maybe, just maybe...*GASP*....do f*cking both.

ChiefaRoo
07-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Think of all the taxes they will pay. It'll be billions and that's good for America. Now if the aholes in D.C. could just balance the budget.

Jewish Rabbi
07-31-2008, 07:03 PM

Stop posting. Period.

beer bacon
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Think of all the taxes they will pay. It'll be billions and that's good for America. Now if the aholes in D.C. could just balance the budget.

Then John McCain will get in office and cut those taxes they are paying by 1.2 billion a year.

Uncle_Ted
07-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Good for them and their shareholders. Oil costs exploded and the cost of all their inputs has stayed pretty much the same. Grats to them on their good fortune.

I just hope the next time they run to the government begging for subsidies or tax breaks (for some reason or another) that they are told to go f*ck themselves.

RJ
07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Stop posting. Period.

Hey Jewish Rabbi........why not just "Rabbi"? Wouldn't the Jewish be implicit if you'd just used Rabbi? I'm beginning to think you're not Jewish.

Lonewolf Ed
07-31-2008, 07:15 PM
So, profits don't mean that the price of gas is too high. Oh, no, of course not.

What is better than having one billion dollars?

Twoooooooo billion dollars!!!

Jewish Rabbi
07-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Jewish Rabbi........why not just "Rabbi"? Wouldn't the Jewish be implicit if you'd just used Rabbi? I'm beginning to think you're not Jewish.

Where were you a month ago when we had this conversation?

WoodDraw
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Stop buying gas if you don't like it, silly. If not, than STFU.

RJ
07-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Where were you a month ago when we had this conversation?

I have no idea where I was a month ago when we had this conversation. Why do you ask?

Jewish Rabbi
07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
I have no idea where I was a month ago when we had this conversation. Why do you ask?

Because I don't want to have it again :)

gblowfish
07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Off to the DC Forum in 3.....2.....1.....

FAX
07-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh, 'cmon, Mr. Jewish Rabbi. Let's discuss it again. Some of us weren't present at the last conversation. I'll tell you what, if you agree to talk about it, I'll ask Mr. Baby Lee to grow his sideburns out real long.

FAX

Nightfyre
07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
my question is what is their profit margin as a percentage of costs relative to recent history. That would be far more telling of how they actually performed.

Jewish Rabbi
07-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh, 'cmon, Mr. Jewish Rabbi. Let's discuss it again. Some of us weren't present at the last conversation. I'll tell you what, if you agree to talk about it, I'll ask Mr. Baby Lee to grow his sideburns out real long.

FAX

But but but... I am oppossed to thread hijackings.

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
07-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Stop posting. Period.

Oy vey.

RJ
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Because I don't want to have it again :)

Well, I've been wracking my brain but I just don't remember. Did I say anything about "Redundant Rabbi"? Cause I'd have thought that was funny so I might have.

If you have the conversation again I promise to make an attempt at a witty and original post. I might fail, but I'll make an attempt.

SBK
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I wish when I went to get gas I wasn't just pumping money into George Bush and Cheneyburton's pockets.

FAX
07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
But but but... I am oppossed to thread hijackings.

Don't be so stubborn, Mr. Jewish Rabbi. It's just a simple request. If it helps, think of yourself as chosen.

FAX

ChiefsFanatic
07-31-2008, 09:18 PM

Perhaps you forgot that there has been a republican president for 8 years, I think your estimate of taxes paid is of by..............well, billions.

Valiant
07-31-2008, 09:35 PM

Really?? I am sure they will get some sort of tax break..

Jewish Rabbi
07-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Don't be so stubborn, Mr. Jewish Rabbi. It's just a simple request. If it helps, think of yourself as chosen.

FAX

So basically I'm "Jewish Rabbi" because "Rabbi" just doesn't have the ring to it...

I'll make an analogy for catholics. "Priest" just doesn't have the same ring as "Child Molesting Priest" now does it?

RJ
07-31-2008, 09:55 PM
So basically I'm "Jewish Rabbi" because "Rabbi" just doesn't have the ring to it...

I'll make an analogy for catholics. "Priest" just doesn't have the same ring as "Child Molesting Priest" now does it?

I don't get it.

Jewish is to Rabbi as Child Molesting is to Priest?

I think Rabbi has a very nice ring. Rabbi implies wisdom, certainly a fine trait on a message board.

Just saying..........

ChiefaRoo
07-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Really?? I am sure they will get some sort of tax break..

I think they only get a subsidy for new drilling and exploration. I could be wrong but that's how I understand it. How can it be bad for America if one of our Mega Companies makes an insane amount of money? They're getting taxed at the max. rate.

I understand that some of their execs will make huge salaries but lets get real this money cannot be just given away. It's so much that only our govt. could suck it through a straw and say give me more. Seriously, $11.6 billion for X four quarters = 46.4 billion. No one group of execs can use that much money up. This money will be used to grow new businesses, create alternative energy sources and help the US pay for itself. It's all good boys.

2bikemike
07-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Thats just good business. Make as much as you can and spend as little as possible doing it. Just remember to feed the golden goose.

I don't know why this surprises anybody. It hasn't cost them anything more to take this particular oil out of the ground. Price per BBL of oil has what quadrupled? You know they haven't sold any less than what they were.

You know for a while there my house was worth about 4 times what I paid for it. I would never pay what my highest appraisal was. Now my house is only worth about 2 1/2 times what I paid for it. When people are buying and selling (speculating) Sometimes the prices tend to get a little out of whack and then they drop.

I hope oil prices do that. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Stop buying guy if you don't like it, silly. If not, than STFU.

I can honestly say I've never bought one single, solitary drop of guy. Next time silly, maybe you should STFU before something teh ghey cums out of your mouth.

Skip Towne
07-31-2008, 10:43 PM
Those are obscene profits. Where is the Sherman Anti Trust Act when we need it?

WoodDraw
07-31-2008, 10:49 PM
I can honestly say I've never bought one single, solitary drop of guy. Next time silly, maybe you should STFU before something teh ghey cums out of your mouth.

Ouch - that's quite the spelling **** up. Thank god no one pays attention to Freud anymore, eh?

Uh, the keys are like right next to each other. Or something.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Ouch - that's quite the spelling **** up. Thank god no one pays attention to Freud anymore, eh?

Uh, the keys are like right next to each other. Or something.

I've always been good with the douche..........I mean touche.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-31-2008, 10:51 PM
FTR though, the letters for gas and guy are nowhere near each other. :p

FAX
07-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Maybe we're not supposed to buy gau?

Okay by me. I don't even know where you can find any.

FAX

kaplin42
07-31-2008, 10:57 PM

Americans is idiots.

FAX

I'm sure they would love to start digging off shore. But I doubt that they would use any of the insane amount of profits that have been made over the last several years. Infact I'm quite confident that they would ask the government for money to do it.

Also, once it was all said and done, I don't think for a second that it would lower gas prices. I mean someone would have to help them recover what ever money they did have to invest, and you know it will be the average Joe doing it. Oh yeah, I picture quite the opposite of prices going down, they would go up actually. No way we will ever see gas below $2 a gallon again, NEVER.

Then John McCain will get in office and cut those taxes they are paying by 1.2 billion a year.

I believe it was June of '05 or '06 our current disaster and chief gave the Oil companies a huge break, lowering the fines for illegal dumping of toxic wastes, lowering their taxes, and generally just making it so they could rake in tons of money. Of course he said it was a plan to keep gas prices down, but really it was just a way of lining his and his buddies pockets with ass loads of cash.

Guru
07-31-2008, 11:06 PM

They need to stop spending first. And that is IMPOSSIBLE for them.

Jayhawkerman2001
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM

Americans is idiots.

FAX

oh come on now, people have got to realize that offshore drilling and alaska drilling is only a quick fix and right now that isnt what we need at all. We need to invest more time and money in alternative fuels.

Plus, do we want to trust companies like exxon to not actually **** up the situation? They'd make prices just about what they have been. American greed

ChiefsCountry
08-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Yeah they are probally screwing us but shit this America they have the damn right to make as much money as they want. The government doesnt to need to step in, they wil screw it up even more.

Guru
08-01-2008, 03:25 AM
oh come on now, people have got to realize that offshore drilling and alaska drilling is only a quick fix and right now that isnt what we need at all. We need to invest more time and money in alternative fuels.

Plus, do we want to trust companies like exxon to not actually **** up the situation? They'd make prices just about what they have been. American greed

Both need to be done until viable and affordable alternatives are available. E85 is certainly not the answer and arguably worse that normal fuel.

BigRedChief
08-01-2008, 06:49 AM
I think they only get a subsidy for new drilling and exploration. I could be wrong but that's how I understand it. How can it be bad for America if one of our Mega Companies makes an insane amount of money? They're getting taxed at the max. rate.

I understand that some of their execs will make huge salaries but lets get real this money cannot be just given away. It's so much that only our govt. could suck it through a straw and say give me more. Seriously, $11.6 billion for X four quarters = 46.4 billion. No one group of execs can use that much money up. This money will be used to grow new businesses, create alternative energy sources and help the US pay for itself. It's all good boys.
McCains tax plan includes $4.1 Billion in tax breaks for big oil. Seems to me that if you are making $12 billion in profit every 3 months that the $4.1 billion would be be better spent in other areas. But, maybe thats just me?

SBK
08-01-2008, 06:57 AM
People, Exxon would be bankrupt if you would just inflate your tires.

Goapics1
08-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Donger said this is OK.

ROFL

KC Jones
08-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Those are obscene profits. Where is the Sherman Anti Trust Act when we need it?

pftttt that's an archaic way of thinking. Everyone knows that a free market controlled by a cartel of large multinationals or outright monopolies is in the best interests of everyone.

Otter
08-01-2008, 07:21 AM
People, Exxon would be bankrupt if you would just inflate your tires.

If bankrupt means having a .000005 less profit I'm in total agreement.

SBK
08-01-2008, 07:24 AM
If bankrupt means having a .000005 less profit I'm in total agreement.

Off the wall question here: does anyone know for sure how Amtrak trains are powered?

Not as easy to find on Google as one would think.

No, they'd be bankrupt. If we inflated our tires we wouldn't need oil. LMAO

Hoover
08-01-2008, 07:25 AM
I think we need to look at their net profits not the gross.

I love how Obama now claims to be the guy who will lower our energy costs by increasing taxes, regulations, and being out right hostile to them. I can't tell you how pissed off I am when I see people like Obama and Mr. Flopnuts speak poorly of a company that makes a profit. Its called capitalism. How many people does Exon employ worldwide? Who do they think will find new energy sources, not government, but private business.

Braincase
08-01-2008, 07:25 AM
I wonder if this will affect the amount of subsidies these clowns receive from the government?

Remember kids, if a drug dealer gets everyone hooked on heroin and raises prices it's evil and illegal... if an energy company does it, it's progress and capitalism.

SBK
08-01-2008, 07:27 AM
I wonder if this will affect the amount of subsidies these clowns receive from the government?

Remember kids, if a drug dealer gets everyone hooked on heroin and raises prices it's evil and illegal... if an energy company does it, it's progress and capitalism.

I think it's unfair for the government to give money to one industry but not another. Therefore I declare since banks are getting billions (if in the end not trillions) we should give oil companies billions as well.

Stewie
08-01-2008, 07:29 AM
They should give all their profit this quarter to GM. What's $12,000,000,000 minus $15,500,000,000? Nevermind, that would still be a loss for GM.

Skip Towne
08-01-2008, 07:29 AM
I think it's unfair for the government to give money to one industry but not another. Therefore I declare since banks are getting billions (if in the end not trillions) we should give oil companies billions as well.

Satellite companies should get in on it too.

SBK
08-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Satellite companies should get in on it too.

I agree, as should net startups. :clap:

R&GHomer
08-01-2008, 07:34 AM
****ing cock suckers.

Donger
08-01-2008, 07:42 AM
my question is what is their profit margin as a percentage of costs relative to recent history. That would be far more telling of how they actually performed.

Right around 10% But, most people don't understand (or chose not to) its relevance.

Nightfyre
08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Right around 10% But, most people don't understand (or chose not to) its relevance.

Sad but true story. Thats a pretty tight margin, tbh.

StcChief
08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Don't buy gas from companies that import oil.......
try these American only gas...
BP
Conoco/Phillips
Murphy (Wal-mart)

bkkcoh
08-01-2008, 09:32 AM

I am sure that you couldn't get a small business loan on a business model that would only have a 10% profit margin very easily.

RJ
08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
I am sure that you couldn't get a small business loan on a business model that would only have a 10% profit margin very easily.

I'll bet you could if the bank knew your gross would have 9 zeros behind it every month.

RJ
08-01-2008, 10:17 AM
BP
Conoco/Phillips
Murphy (Wal-mart)

British Petroleum only sells gas made from US oil?

BigRedChief
08-01-2008, 10:18 AM

I love how Obama now claims to be the guy who will lower our energy costs by increasing taxes, regulations, and being out right hostile to them. I can't tell you how pissed off I am when I see people like Obama and Mr. Flopnuts speak poorly of a company that makes a profit. Its called capitalism. How many people does Exon employ worldwide? Who do they think will find new energy sources, not government, but private business.
One little detail that has been overlooked is that the article states the taxes have been paid globally, not the U.S. alone.

Chiefnj2
08-01-2008, 10:27 AM
BP
Conoco/Phillips
Murphy (Wal-mart)

BP buys its crude from all over.

BigRedChief
08-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Obama proposes $1,000 energy rebates for consumers By MIKE GLOVER, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 30 minutes ago

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on Friday called for a $1,000 "emergency" rebate to consumers to offset soaring energy costs amid fresh signs of a struggling economy with the nation's unemployment rate climbing to a four-year high.

Obama told a town-hall meeting the rebate would be financed with a windfall profits tax on the oil industry.

"This rebate will be enough to offset the increased cost of gas for a working family over the next four months," Obama said in the crucial swing state of Florida.

Obama had earlier said the rebates should be part of a larger tax relief package. But now he says the slumping economy demands they be put in place immediately.

Obama's remarks coincide with news that the unemployment rate climbed to a four-year high of 5.7 percent in July as employers cut 51,000 jobs, dashing the hopes of an influx of young people looking for summer work. Payroll cuts weren't as deep as the 72,000 predicted by economists, however. And, job losses for both May and June were smaller than previously reported.

July's reductions marked the seventh straight month where employers eliminated jobs. The economy has lost a total of 463,00 jobs so far this year.

"We can either choose a new direction for our economy, or we can keep doing what we've been doing," Obama said.

During his speech, Obama was interrupted by three men who stood up with a banner asking, "What about the black community, Obama?" Many in the crowd began chanting, "Yes, we can," the Obama campaign mantra to counter the criticism.

Obama told the three that they would have a chance to ask questions after he had his opportunity to speak. A town-hall organizer later took the banner from the three.

During the question-and-answer period, Obama called on one of the men who held the banner, who chastised the candidate for not speaking out more about predatory lending and its impact on the black community, Hurricane Katrina's destruction and the fatal shooting of an unarmed man on his wedding day in New York.

Obama defended his record, saying he had spoken out on all those issues. "I may not have spoken out the way you want me to speak out," he said. And as the crowd stood and applauded, Obama stressed the need to be respectful, saying, "the only way to solve the problems in this country is if we all come together — black and white ..."
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_9629-->
<!-- THE POST -->

BigRedChief
08-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Obama proposes $1,000 energy rebates for consumers By MIKE GLOVER, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 30 minutes ago

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on Friday called for a $1,000 "emergency" rebate to consumers to offset soaring energy costs amid fresh signs of a struggling economy with the nation's unemployment rate climbing to a four-year high.

Obama told a town-hall meeting the rebate would be financed with a windfall profits tax on the oil industry.

"This rebate will be enough to offset the increased cost of gas for a working family over the next four months," Obama said in the crucial swing state of Florida.

Obama had earlier said the rebates should be part of a larger tax relief package. But now he says the slumping economy demands they be put in place immediately.

Obama's remarks coincide with news that the unemployment rate climbed to a four-year high of 5.7 percent in July as employers cut 51,000 jobs, dashing the hopes of an influx of young people looking for summer work. Payroll cuts weren't as deep as the 72,000 predicted by economists, however. And, job losses for both May and June were smaller than previously reported.

July's reductions marked the seventh straight month where employers eliminated jobs. The economy has lost a total of 463,00 jobs so far this year.

"We can either choose a new direction for our economy, or we can keep doing what we've been doing," Obama said.

During his speech, Obama was interrupted by three men who stood up with a banner asking, "What about the black community, Obama?" Many in the crowd began chanting, "Yes, we can," the Obama campaign mantra to counter the criticism.

Obama told the three that they would have a chance to ask questions after he had his opportunity to speak. A town-hall organizer later took the banner from the three.

During the question-and-answer period, Obama called on one of the men who held the banner, who chastised the candidate for not speaking out more about predatory lending and its impact on the black community, Hurricane Katrina's destruction and the fatal shooting of an unarmed man on his wedding day in New York.

Obama defended his record, saying he had spoken out on all those issues. "I may not have spoken out the way you want me to speak out," he said. And as the crowd stood and applauded, Obama stressed the need to be respectful, saying, "the only way to solve the problems in this country is if we all come together black and white ..."
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_9629-->
<!-- THE POST -->
$1,000 goes into my pocketbook taken from the windfall profits of Big Oil?

I'm going to have an orgasm. :)

Stewie
08-01-2008, 10:39 AM
And Murphy Oil isn't U.S.only.

RJ
08-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Out od curiosity I looked at the Conoco Phillips site. I see no mention of them selling only domestic oil.

redbrian
08-01-2008, 11:34 AM

Hey lets not throw reality in here.....next you will want to know what the margin is.......

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 01:27 PM

the margin is a lower percentage because the numbers are so high

for instance walmarts is about 3.5% with a 5 year average of -.1%

you think they aint making money

Nightfyre
08-01-2008, 01:31 PM
the margin is a lower percentage because the numbers are so high

Exactly. The company is earning a lower return on their investments. Why do I feel like I'm pounding my head into a brick wall around here today?

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Exactly. The company is earning a lower return on their investments. Why do I feel like I'm pounding my head into a brick wall around here today?

no it is diluted by the high dollar in sales

it's okay to make 10% of a gillion dollars

not okay to make 10% of $1000

Nightfyre
08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
no it is diluted by the high dollar in sales

it's okay to make 10% of a gillion dollars

not okay to make 10% of $1000

i disagree. After a certain point, margin as a percentage becomes far and away more important, particularly in that it can help you acquire suitable financing from a multitude of sources.

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 01:57 PM
i disagree. After a certain point, margin as a percentage becomes far and away more important, particularly in that it can help you acquire suitable financing from a multitude of sources.

if you have a gazillion dollars in sales coming from a product that people can't do without you don't need financing

you wait 20 minutes and then you have the amount needed in the bank

Nightfyre
08-01-2008, 02:01 PM
if you have a gazillion dollars in sales coming from a product that people can't do without you don't need financing

you wait 20 minutes and then you have the amount needed in the bank

Unless you're talking about offshore drilling or new refineries, in which case you will probably need to sell some equity and acquire a little debt. I figure if I'm looking to buy into a company, I will ask them: What kind of return can I expect? And at what risk? If they tell me: this investment has a potential upside of 10% and a potential downside of bust; I'll tell them thanks see ya later.

Oh and further still: you have to reinvest 90% of your sales monies to begin working on the next batch. Assuming you haven't already front loaded the majority of your fixed costs. (which they have.)

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Unless you're talking about offshore drilling or new refineries, in which case you will probably need to sell some equity and acquire a little debt. I figure if I'm looking to buy into a company, I will ask them: What kind of return can I expect? And at what risk? If they tell me: this investment has a potential upside of 10% and a potential downside of bust; I'll tell them thanks see ya later.

Oh and further still: you have to reinvest 90% of your sales monies to begin working on the next batch. Assuming you haven't already front loaded the majority of your fixed costs. (which they have.)

that's where we disagree
they only downside of bust is if we go in a whole new energy source overnight

The need will always be there until it is replaced

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 02:09 PM

$12.8 billion in 3 months of profit. Like after the employees have been paid. And at what cost? Look at our economy. I know the housing scam is a part of that. Or is that just business too? And if that's the case, then they should at least pay back every penny of the government money they got over the last 6 decades.

Nightfyre
08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
that's where we disagree
they only downside of bust is if we go in a whole new energy source overnight

The need will always be there until it is replaced

Finding oil is pretty tricky. There are tons of bust stories in that respect. i agree the refining is a much safer bet. But they still have to muck through a metric shitton of political and bureaucratic bullshit to get there.

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
$12.8 billion in 3 months of profit. Like after the employees have been paid. And at what cost? Look at our economy. I know the housing scam is a part of that. Or is that just business too? Are you ****ing serious? Jesus that is just gross. And if that's the case, then they should at least pay back every penny of the government money they got over the last 6 decades.

dude calm down

it's only 10%

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 02:12 PM
$1,000 goes into my pocketbook taken from the windfall profits of Big Oil?

I'm going to have an orgasm. :)

The oil companies probably suggested it. Seriously.

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Finding oil is pretty tricky. There are tons of bust stories in that respect. i agree the refining is a much safer bet. But they still have to muck through a metric shitton of political and bureaucratic bullshit to get there.

we are giving them tax breaks

they are through the political and bureaucratic bullshit
they won

now they are raping me

plus that 12.8 is after expenses which would be after they paid everyone and everything including finding new oil and research and development

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
dude calm down

it's only 10%

LMAO Right. I tried to edit some of that post. The nasty part of it anyways. Just my child like reaction to certain shit I guess.

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
LMAO Right. I tried to edit some of that post. The nasty part of it anyways. Just my child like reaction to certain shit I guess.

like paying 33% more for gas then you did a year ago

understandable

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 02:17 PM
like paying 33% more for gas then you did a year ago

understandable

I was actually thinking 100% more than 2 and a half years ago. But that works too.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 02:18 PM
And spare me the capitalism bullshit. Oil is a ****ing commodity. We need it to survive. We're not in Greece with the most fantastic transit system in the world. A lot of people don't have public transportation within 20 miles of them. Or more.

rageeumr
08-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm a little confused. The numbers in the thread header are accurate, but the article is from 2 quarters ago. XOM stock actually dropped after this week's earnings report (even though they set a record profit) because they didn't meet projections.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm a little confused. The numbers in the thread header are accurate, but the article is from 2 quarters ago. XOM stock actually dropped after this week's earnings report (even though they set a record profit) because they didn't meet projections.

That report was just put out the day I posted it. Well, it was on the front page of MSN anyways.

Stewie
08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
So, the public should get money from oil profits? Should the public give GM money because they lost $15.5 billion this quarter? We'd be giving more than we'd be getting, but I guess that makes sense to someone. What a joke!

beavis
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
And spare me the capitalism bullshit. Oil is a ****ing commodity. We need it to survive. We're not in Greece with the most fantastic transit system in the world. A lot of people don't have public transportation within 20 miles of them. Or more.

Who's fault is that? How about we address the issue instead of putting another freaking band-aid on it. If we're going to steal money from corporations that DO THEIR FREAKING JOBS (ie make money), lets use it to develop mass transport, or get off oil. Hell, we do it to tobacco companies.

KCTitus
08-01-2008, 03:18 PM
For all you yay-hoo Obamasheep that think taking profits from these companies and redistributing it back to 'families' is a good idea...you need to understand that corporations do NOT pay taxes. Like any other expense, they pass it on to the consumer. So that 'free' 1000 will come back around and cost you 1100 with 10% surcharge from the oil companies when they make up that expense by increasing their refined product.

They have an obligation to their stockholders...

This country is truly doomed...socialism has actually taken hold.

Stewie
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
you need to understand that corporations do NOT pay taxes.

You are dumb as a stump.

Radar Chief
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
For all you yay-hoo Obamasheep that think taking profits from these companies and redistributing it back to 'families' is a good idea...you need to understand that corporations do NOT pay taxes. Like any other expense, they pass it on to the consumer. So that 'free' 1000 will come back around and cost you 1100 with 10% surcharge from the oil companies when they make up that expense by increasing their refined product.

They have an obligation to their stockholders...

This country is truly doomed...socialism has actually taken hold.

QFT.

KCTitus
08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
LOL...how does a corp pay taxes? Explain it to me.

Stewie
08-01-2008, 03:32 PM
LOL...how does a corp pay taxes? Explain it to me.

Rule 1) Understand the term "corporation."

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
So, the public should get money from oil profits? Should the public give GM money because they lost $15.5 billion this quarter? We'd be giving more than we'd be getting, but I guess that makes sense to someone. What a joke!

gm isn't a commodity it's a co. who has competition who it's not beating out

your comparing a necessity with a luxury

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 03:34 PM

which is a legal entity, just like a person

Stewie
08-01-2008, 03:36 PM
gm isn't a commodity it's a co. who has competition who it's not beating out

your comparing a necessity with a luxury

The reason oil is $120+ is because it's no longer a commodity. It's a store of value in a recessionary/depressionary world wide problem.

KCTitus
08-01-2008, 03:36 PM

I guess rule 2 is to know that Chewbacca is a wookie...

WTF does that have to do with my point. Apparently, this 'stump' talks so far above some here, that it's pointless.

I'll type slowly...

Any plan to take from Exxon and other big oil companies by the government would result in a tax, this tax would be assess on their profit. The companies would treat that tax as an expense -- the same as their employment costs, import costs, and other costs, and factor that into their prices as they continue to produce a profit. Either that or they just stop producing like they did in the 70's.

KCTitus
08-01-2008, 03:38 PM
The reason oil is $120+ is because it's no longer a commodity. It's a store of value in a recessionary/depressionary world wide problem.

Also because it's a commodity traded in dollars...when the value of the dollar falls, the price goes up as well.

J Diddy
08-01-2008, 03:39 PM

i guess food isn't a commodity anymore then either.

Stewie
08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Also because it's a commodity traded in dollars...when the value of the dollar falls, the price goes up as well.

People want hard assets, not paper.

Stewie
08-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I guess rule 2 is to know that Chewbacca is a wookie...

WTF does that have to do with my point. Apparently, this 'stump' talks so far above some here, that it's pointless.

I'll type slowly...

Any plan to take from Exxon and other big oil companies by the government would result in a tax, this tax would be assess on their profit. The companies would treat that tax as an expense -- the same as their employment costs, import costs, and other costs, and factor that into their prices as they continue to produce a profit. Either that or they just stop producing like they did in the 70's.

Dude, you're out of your league. I don't have time for dumbassery.

KCTitus
08-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Dude, you're out of your league. I don't have time for dumbassery.

priceless.

KCTitus
08-01-2008, 03:45 PM
People want hard assets, not paper.

lol...yeah, it's called hedging against assets value. Out of my league?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Some of you are evil, and some of you are not. There's no way we can possibly all get along.

KCTitus
08-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Some of you are evil, and some of you are not. There's no way we can possibly all get along.

Im evil, I like profits and XON in my portfolio...that, and Haliburton...

Im out, this thread's a joke. Profits are good.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Im evil, I like profits and XON in my portfolio...that, and Haliburton...

Im out, this thread's a joke. Profits are good.

If you read my posts in this thread. You'll know where I stand on it.