PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Former Chief Jared Allen happy to be with Vikings

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2008, 01:44 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/727731.html

Former Chief Jared Allen happy to be with Vikings
BY KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

MANKATO, Minn. | He’s standing on a tennis court in 96-degree heat, soaking a gray T-shirt with sweat and cutting promos for a regional news network.

He’s wearing spikes, football pants and a thick beard that looks like he’s spent his summer taking an ax to a cluster of California redwoods. And, knowing Jared Allen, maybe he did.

He stares into the camera and reminds you that you’re watching your home of the Vikings, and, oddly, says something about the running of the bulls.

But hey, that’s Allen.

He has a long-term deal, and he’s the Vikings’ newest star — a man everyone with a camera or tape recorder can’t get enough of. During a break, someone asks Allen if he’s enjoying life in Minnesota.

“Hell yeah,” he says, smiling big and making that brown beard curl up near his ears. “I couldn’t be happier.”

He says something not fit for print or broadcast and then gets back to work. He smiles and cuts another promo about his new home and how one of the NFL’s most colorful characters and best defenders is fitting in somewhere other than Kansas City.

The Chiefs traded Allen three months ago, a few days before the NFL draft. The Chiefs had decided Allen was their most valuable poker chip — and decided it was time to part ways with the outspoken, sometimes disgruntled defensive end. They’ll be reunited tonight when the Vikings and Chiefs hold a joint practice in River Falls, Wis. It’ll be the first time the sides are together since Allen received a call in April, telling him the NFL approved the trade and he was going to Minnesota.

Allen says he loves Kansas City. Loves Herm Edwards and the Chiefs coaches who molded him for four years into the man who led the NFL last year with 15 1/2 sacks.

“I owe them everything,” he says.

The Chiefs’ front office, though — well, that’s another story. He’s still sour about the long-term contract he never got. Allen says he was misled by executives and that he knew before last season that it would be his last with the Chiefs.

“I think that’s when it hit me,” he says. “I’ll put in my time and get out when I can.”

And he did. Other than the new uniform colors and the townhouse in the Twin Cities, Allen hasn’t changed much. He’s still loud and brash, friendly and charismatic.

That’s why the people behind this wall of cameras want him to keep talking, keep pointing and jumping around and saying whatever Allen has on his mind, bizarre as it might sometimes be.

Allen is pouring sweat now, but he wants to go again. He still has some things to say. He always does.

•••

Allen stood in a somber locker room in New York’s Giants Stadium last December and asked someone who might know.

He had two sacks in an overtime loss to the Jets, and he wondered if the sacks had pushed him past Patrick Kerney and DeMarcus Ware for the NFL lead. They had, and Allen looked up and pumped his fist softly; other than the sacks, there wasn’t much to cheer about after the Chiefs’ ninth consecutive loss.

Allen said that same night he expected the Chiefs to name him their franchise player, a move that helps teams delay big-money contract talks with one player each offseason. But Allen said then that he wanted to get something done — and he wanted to be paid like an elite player.

“I want to be a billionaire,” he said then, joking.

JuicesFlowing
08-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Jared is quite the superstar up there in Minnesota now, isn't he? I sure am glad Mr. Babb was so out of ideas that he had to write an entire article about Jared Allen being happy. Jared tells funny jokes, too.

Guru
08-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Jared who?

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Jared is quite the superstar up there in Minnesota now, isn't he? I sure am glad Mr. Babb was so out of ideas that he had to write an entire article about Jared Allen being happy. Jared tells funny jokes, too.

Are you implying that Jared Allen, his contract situation and his trade aren't relevant to the 2008 Chiefs and their future?

Because if so, you'd be incorrect.

They're forever linked.

For better or for worse.

JuicesFlowing
08-01-2008, 02:17 AM
Are you implying that Jared Allen, his contract situation and his trade aren't relevant to the 2008 Chiefs and their future?

Because if so, you'd be incorrect.

They're forever linked.

For better or for worse.

I agree with you. But as a Chiefs fan who has no control over anything, am I supposed to be impressed that Jared Allen is happy being a millionaire? I just thought Mr. Babb wrote a pointless article, that's all.

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2008, 02:25 AM
I agree with you. I just didn't see much value in this article. Hundreds of articles can be written about a millionaire's newfound happiness.

Well first off, the thread starter only posted 1/3 of the article.

Secondly, I'd agree with you if this article were written in 2013. But his "story" is extremely relevant to the rebuilding phase of the 2008 Chiefs. Albert and Cottam/Charles/Morgan for Allen is a huge story.

Plus, do you really think that the youngest team in the NFL (the Chiefs) have rookies that can even speak about the NFL at this point?

Those guys are so confused and tired right now, they probably can't even think straight, let alone give an interview long enough to fill up one third of a page in the Star.

Radar Chief
08-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Jared who?

:shrug:I guess he’s some guy the Vikings hired.

Skip Towne
08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Jared looks like a fairy wearing purple.