PDA

View Full Version : Elections Jon Stewart on the Media

irishjayhawk
08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
<embed FlashVars="videoId=178207" src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

Pretty accurate description of the news channels.

HolmeZz
08-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I was thinking about posting that after I saw it last night. Hilarious.

Carlota69
08-01-2008, 01:31 PM
That was so damn funny.

Mccain is creepy. That part where he talks about following Bin laden into the gates of hell and then busts out that weird-ass smile. Heebbbeee jeeeebbbbeeesss:eek:

Pitt Gorilla
08-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Yup, clearly the media is much tougher on McCain. :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
08-01-2008, 11:01 PM
It's just like the primary. Clinton fires off twenty desperate attacks, Obama says, "That's ridiculous. Don't be ridiculous," and the media says, "BOTH candidates are slinging mud!"

See Andrea Mitchell's interview with Ragin' Rick Davis yesterday for an example of this.

irishjayhawk
08-01-2008, 11:02 PM
It's just like the primary. Clinton fires off twenty desperate attacks, Obama says, "That's ridiculous. Don't be ridiculous," and the media says, "BOTH candidates are slinging mud!"

See Andrea Mitchell's interview with Ragin' Rick Davis yesterday for an example of this.

Wow, that's a really good summary of what happened. And still is happening.

Ultra Peanut
08-01-2008, 11:11 PM
That was so damn funny.

Mccain is creepy. That part where he talks about following Bin laden into the gates of hell and then busts out that weird-ass smile. Heebbbeee jeeeebbbbeeesss:eek:It's a winner!

http://i33.tinypic.com/ae5cub.gif

wazu
08-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Jon Stewart "on the Media"? How is Jon Stewart bashing McCain for 10 minutes somehow a commentary on the media?

Ultra Peanut
08-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Jon Stewart "on the Media"? Did you watch it? The media took McCain's talking points and repeated them ad nauseam, with no analysis or deconstruction whatsoever.

How is Jon Stewart bashing McCain for 10 minutes somehow a commentary on the media?Dude, McCain is/was a friend of the Daily Show, and he's been on there something like ten times. Jon Stewart's the guy who, last year, said he hoped for a McCain-Obama election because it would be an honorable campaign that wouldn't have the kind of mudslinging that he's now making fun of.

wazu
08-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Did you watch it? The media took McCain's talking points and repeated them ad nauseam, with no analysis or deconstruction whatsoever.

Dude, McCain is/was a friend of the Daily Show, and he's been on there something like ten times. Jon Stewart's the guy who, last year, said he hoped for a McCain-Obama election because it would be an honorable campaign that wouldn't have the kind of mudslinging that he's now making fun of.

I saw a brief compilation somewhere in the middle which included a few talking heads I had never heard of saying things similar to McCain. Was that the part that qualified the clip for the thread title of "Jon Stewart on the Media"?

HolmeZz
08-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I saw a brief compilation somewhere in the middle which included a few talking heads I had never heard of saying things similar to McCain. Was that the part that qualified the clip for the thread title of "Jon Stewart on the Media"?

I don't see how you missed it.

The clips show the media critcizing Obama as lacking substance and having his head in the clouds about what he can accomplish as President, while McCain has gone without criticism for making a bunch of promises(a few of them crazy) with little to no detail of how to accomplish them.

Somehow there is no substance in Obama's plans, but there's substance in McCain's.

Ultra Peanut
08-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Funny you mention that. (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/12215.html)

Analysts caution that both McCain and Barack Obama have produced policy pronouncements that are just as much election documents as workable proposals; after all, that is what presidential candidates do. But when it comes to the metric of paper produced, McCain trails Obama in spelling out the nitty-gritty.

"The Obama people are much more detailed," said Robert Bixby, executive director of the Concord Coalition, a bipartisan advocacy group dedicated to balancing the budget.

Consider McCain campaign senior adviser Taylor Griffin’s description of his candidate's plan for fixing Social Security:

"The history of the Social Security debate has taught that too many specifics, especially during a presidential campaign, has polarized the debate," he said of the program that McCain called "an absolute disgrace [that's] got to be fixed."

Will he contrast his plan to that of his opponent? "Sen. McCain believes this is so important that we do not politicize this debate during an election season."

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 01:10 AM
After that 10 minute video, I find it funny that this is the thing you bitch about. The thread title.

irishjayhawk
08-02-2008, 01:36 AM

A better question: How is it not a commentary on the media?

Gee, I wonder how you derive anything - especially social commentary - from a source.