PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Another Obama ad from McCain

HolmeZz
08-01-2008, 01:22 PM
"He's too awesome! Don't vote for him!"

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/AcXKLYzLKw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="540" height="394" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

I like the idea of using a clip of Obama doing satire WITHIN a satirical commercial about Obama. That is brilliantly incompetent.

HolmeZz
08-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Vote for McCain: I've got nothin'

Donger
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
This is from McCain's campaign? Don't they have to do the "I'm John McCain and I approve this message" thing?

HolmeZz
08-01-2008, 01:27 PM
This is from McCain's campaign? Don't they have to do the "I'm John McCain and I approve this message" thing?

It says paid for by John McCain 2008 at the end. It's probably only an internet ad.

SBK
08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
LMAO

(waiting for the light to come from somewhere and tell me to vote for his majesty)

HolmeZz
08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
LMAO

(waiting for the light to come from somewhere and tell me to vote for his majesty)

"I like the idea of using a clip of Obama doing satire WITHIN a satirical commercial about Obama. That is brilliantly incompetent."

SBK
08-01-2008, 03:31 PM
"I like the idea of using a clip of Obama doing satire WITHIN a satirical commercial about Obama. That is brilliantly incompetent."

The ad is funny to the non-believers, trust me.

penchief
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
The ad is funny to the non-believers, trust me.

Define a "believer."

BigChiefFan
08-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Mayor McCheese has no platform other than to tear others down. I would say that makes McCain an even worse candidate to lead our country.

beer bacon
08-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I think John McCain may have a bigger mancrush on Obama then even me.

SBK
08-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Define a "believer."

The enlightened and vocal minority that have seen the truth and know Obama as he truly is, the one who was sent as a light into the world.

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 08:34 PM
This ad is hysterical and brilliant and it really is funny (ironic) that FINALLY someone figured out the best way to attack NObama is to use HIM against HIMself.

ROFL

I bet the NObama campaign collectively peed their pants.

DeezNutz
08-01-2008, 08:38 PM
ROFL

I actually did lol, which is rare.

chiefforlife
08-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I found it funny in a John Stewart kind of way. Not politically effective in any way though.

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 08:46 PM
After watching the ad a few more times I've come to the conclusion that last week was the week NObama lost the election and this week is the week McCain won it vs. taking it by default.

He had a phenomenal week doing nothing more than holding up a mirror.

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I found it funny in a John Stewart kind of way. Not politically effective in any way though.

:LOL:

Taco John
08-01-2008, 08:51 PM
This has got to be the worst campaign strategy in the history of campaigns.

VAChief
08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
This ad is hysterical and brilliant and it really is funny (ironic) that FINALLY someone figured out the best way to attack NObama is to use HIM against HIMself.

ROFL

Your kidding...they probably laughed their asses off...I can't believe they think this will actually have anything but a negative impact.

beer bacon
08-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I think McCain has realized that if he can't get his base excited about supporting his candidacy, he needs to get them rallied around fighting Obama's. I bet he'll run his campaign in this method until at least the RNC. If it looks like he is starting to get a lot of blowback by then, he will drop these type of attacks, and bank on low information voters forgetting all about this by the time of the election. If the attacks are actually paying dividends with swing voters, he can keep it up all the way to November.

Friendo
08-01-2008, 08:55 PM
:LOL:

just a guess, but I'd bet you do a spot on (unintentional) impression of Hillary's exaggerated cackle in real life.:hmmm:

Taco John
08-01-2008, 08:56 PM

ROFL

I have pretty much lost all respect for your political opinions, especially where strategy is concerned. You've let your blind hatred cloud your mind. Calling this ad brilliant is nothing short of moronic. The entire thing does nothing but dwell on the Obama phenomenon. It's an inside joke that only those already anointed in the Obama hate parade will get.

You've lost your bearing.

VAChief
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
:clap::clap:I have pretty much lost all respect for your political opinions, especially where strategy is concerned. You've let your blind hatred cloud your mind. Calling this ad brilliant is nothing short of moronic. The entire thing does nothing but dwell on the Obama phenomenon. It's an inside joke that only those already anointed in the Obama hate parade will get.

:clap::clap:

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-01-2008, 09:07 PM
I have pretty much lost all respect for your political opinions, especially where strategy is concerned. You've let your blind hatred cloud your mind. Calling this ad brilliant is nothing short of moronic. The entire thing does nothing but dwell on the Obama phenomenon. It's an inside joke that only those already anointed in the Obama hate parade will get.

"I've never heard of half of these guys, and the ones I do know are way past their prime."

"Most of these guys never had a prime."

She never had any bearing.

penchief
08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
The enlightened and vocal minority that have seen the truth and know Obama as he truly is, the one who was sent as a light into the world.

Are you sure these "true believers" aren't just a creation of your own mind? Because it sure seems like the only ones making those kind of insinuations about him are people like you. People who seem to be doing so in a derisive manner.

The only fixation with Obama I see is coming from those who want to jump on every little thing in order to tear him down. Those are the ones who are coming up with this whole "Messiah" and his "followers" schtick. And they appear to be doing so because they need to disguise their fear and justify their contempt.

So while I agree that a lot of people are attributing a little too much mojo to Obama, it isn't so much those who plan on voting for him because he's the better candidate, it's been those who aren't going to vote for him and know he's the better candidate.

Ultra Peanut
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
The ad is funny to the non-believers, trust me.It's funny to "believers," too, for entirely different reasons.

These ****ers are s hilariously incompetent, and the past few weeks make the "Why won't YOU hamstring your campaign with public financing, Barry? We won't go negative, trust us" bitching and pleading even more amusing. Of course, I expected the really underhanded shit to come from 527s, not directly from McCain and the RNC. They're not even trying to hide it.

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
LOL at the folks not getting how this works.

This ad simply does what Hillary herself tried to do with her 'celestial choirs' rant. She made the mistake of saying the words herself and took the flak for it while McCain has made the exact same charge and is doing so in a much more effective way.

His ad is a satirical spoof made up entirely of NObama's OWN words and images save for the Moses cameo. That was added for sheer nonsensical value and to make it over the top. Thus, the entire ad is a an over the top parody of an over the top caricature that Barack Obama has become. It does this not by attacking NObama from the McCain POV but turning HIS own words against himself. Allowing NObama to do the dirty work for them. ROFL

McCain can never match the spectacle known as Barack Obama nor can he match the perceived eloquence so who do you turn to when you are not his match? You turn to HIS match. ROFL

Brilliant.

Of course this could fly over the heads of some folks just like the famous for being famous useless celebrity ad did for some.

And if you have ANY doubt that the last two weeks of 'ineptness' by the McCain camp is working then just check the polls or listen to the OBots. They are beside themselves wondering WTF is happening to the One.

VAChief
08-01-2008, 10:37 PM

This ad simply does what Hillary herself tried to do with her 'celestial choirs' rant. She made the mistake of saying the words herself and took the flak for it while McCain has made the exact same charge and is doing so in a much more effective way.

His ad is a satirical spoof made up entirely of NObama's OWN words and images save for the Moses cameo. That was added for sheer nonsensical value and to make it over the top. Thus, the entire ad is a an over the top parody of an over the top caricature that Barack Obama has become. It does this not by attacking NObama from the McCain POV but turning HIS own words against himself. Allowing NObama to do the dirty work for them. ROFL

McCain can never match the spectacle known as Barack Obama nor can he match the perceived eloquence so who do you turn to when you are not his match? You turn to HIS match. ROFL

Brilliant.

Of course this could fly over the heads of some folks just like the famous for being famous useless celebrity ad did for some.

And if you have ANY doubt that the last two weeks of 'ineptness' by the McCain camp is working then just check the polls or listen to the OBots. They are beside themselves wondering WTF is happening to the One.

Or a more plausible observation is that your a bitter, sore loser and that isn't flying over anyone's head.

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Or a more plausible observation is that your a bitter, sore loser and that isn't flying over anyone's head.

Just sayin, I would not be so quick to pass this off as ineffective just cuz you don't like the messenger anymore.

McCain's strategy has been pretty damn clever the past week. I think this ad is a good example of how they are becoming more effective just as I felt that last week's low key response to NObama's pilgrimage was effective. On the surface their response looks so simple and petty but it's the deeper message they are sending that works.

Ultra Peanut
08-01-2008, 10:48 PM
11-04-08
YOU CAN NOT STOP US.
WE HAVE THIS ARUGULA.
YOU DIE NOW.
ARE YOU AFRAID?
DEATH TO LOBBYISTS.
DEATH TO DIRTY POLITICS.
BARRY IS GREAT.

Taco John

Namely you.

This ad simply mimmicks a losing strategy? And you were laughing that OTHER people didn't get how this works? It's a losing strategy. Refining a losing strategy is still refining a LOSING strategy.

This is how it works: when you spend all of your money advertising your opponent, he wins and you lose. When you spend all your time talking about your opponent, he wins and you lose. When your entire campaign revolves around who your opponent is, he wins and you lose. If your opponent is the sun around which your campaign revolves, you cannot control the message - you can only react to it. Simple history.

The fact that you think this is brilliant tells me everything I need to know about just how far off the deep end you've plunged. You just took all of the losing angst that you were projecting during the Hillary campaign and transferred it to McCain. All the doom you predicted for Obama back then didn't come true. It still isn't coming true - at least not yet. You can say whatever you want about the discredited Gallup poll. Call me when the Intrade predictive market starts moving in your direction.

SBK
It's funny to "believers," too, for entirely different reasons.

These ****ers are s hilariously incompetent, and the past few weeks make the "Why won't YOU hamstring your campaign with public financing, Barry? We won't go negative, trust us" bitching and pleading even more amusing. Of course, I expected the really underhanded shit to come from 527s, not directly from McCain and the RNC. They're not even trying to hide it.

I don't see why it bugs you that McCain would take both sides to issues, as it seems to be working just fine for Obama. :spock:

irishjayhawk
08-01-2008, 10:53 PM
ROFL

Can some media outlet do their damn job and point out this campaign train wreck? I mean, ad after ad that has nothing to do with his campaign.

Ultra Peanut
08-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't see why it bugs you that McCain would take both sides to issues, as it seems to be working just fine for Obama. :spock:Both sides of the issue? You mean like the "I'd be willing to consider off-shore drilling as part of a compromise package if the Republicans force my hand on the issue" thing, or something else? Because as I said in that thread, it's not flip-flopping to be willing to work with the other side to get things done, no matter how much this administration has tried to make digging in your heels and holding your breath the accepted standard for political negotiation.

And in the Obama-McCain comparison front, there's a huuuuge difference between positioning yourself to appeal to the center, as all presidential candidates are wont to do, and completely abandoning the things you stood for eight years ago just so you can get a shot at the presidency.

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Namely you.

This ad simply mimmicks a losing strategy? And you were laughing that OTHER people didn't get how this works? It's a losing strategy. Refining a losing strategy is still refining a LOSING strategy.

This is how it works: when you spend all of your money advertising your opponent, he wins and you lose. When you spend all your time talking about your opponent, he wins and you lose. When your entire campaign revolves around who your opponent is, he wins and you lose. If your opponent is the sun around which your campaign revolves, you cannot control the message - you can only react to it. Simple history.

The fact that you think this is brilliant tells me everything I need to know about just how far off the deep end you've plunged. You just took all of the losing angst that you were projecting during the Hillary campaign and transferred it to McCain. All the doom you predicted for Obama back then didn't come true. It still isn't coming true - at least not yet. You can say whatever you want about the discredited Gallup poll. Call me when the Intrade predictive market starts moving in your direction.

McCain is a known. NObama is an unknown. McCain is using the worst of attributes of NObama, the parts that NObama and his Obots feel are his best, and attacking HIM by HIM attacking HIMself.

He's taking little known or seen parts of speeches and placing them out there in a way that would make most people say 'the guy really said that?' Well, yes, HE did. The video doesn't lie. There is some pompous, arrogant, cheap Sunday televangelist shit being said.

Then people have to decide in what context those words were said. Well, some people could go and research the speeches or the context but few will. Instead, McCain has seized the opportunity to CREATE CONTEXT FOR THEM. It will then be up to NObama to convince them otherwise.

Brilliant. ROFL

NObama is left:deevee: that the ad is juvenile and petty...

but they were HIS words and symbolism.

chiefforlife
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
McCain is a known. NObama is an unknown. McCain is using the worst of attributes of NObama, the parts that NObama and his Obots feel are his best, and attacking HIM by HIM attacking HIMself.

He's taking little known or seen parts of speeches and placing them out there in a way that would make most people say 'the guy really said that?' Well, yes, HE did. The video doesn't lie.

Then people have to decide in what context those words were said. Well, some people could go and research the speeches or the context but few will. Instead, McCain has seized the opportunity to CREATE CONTEXT FOR THEM. It will then be up to NObama to convince them otherwise.

Brilliant. ROFL

McCain...going for the, stupid people vote. Interesting.

DeezNutz
08-01-2008, 11:00 PM

Don't most politicians do this? Haven't you described the vast majority of voters?

wazu
08-01-2008, 11:03 PM
The Paris/Britney ad was pretty weak, but I have to admit that this one made me laugh pretty hard. It's practically a Saturday Night Live skit. I don't know that it really says anything bad about Obama, but it is funny.

memyselfI

Actually, McCain's strategy has been pointing out that NObama has sold his appeal to the stupid people vote...

the celebrity star struck/Joel Osteen vote.

irishjayhawk

He's taking little known or seen parts of speeches and placing them out there in a way that would make most people say 'the guy really said that?' Well, yes, HE did. The video doesn't lie. There is some pompous, arrogant, cheap Sunday televangelist shit being said.

Brilliant. ROFL

NObama is left:deevee: that the ad is juvenile and petty...

ROFL

Keep helping yourself. Please.

ROFL

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 11:05 PM
ROFL

Keep helping yourself. Please.

ROFL

You'll see.

McCain, for all his many faults, has been around for awhile. NObama had a speech in 2004 and 143 days in Congress.

Ultra Peanut
08-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Don't most politicians do this? Haven't you described the vast majority of voters?Obama's had to dumb his vocabulary down, too, to avoid offending that ever-important (seriously) stupid vote with his high-fallutin' fancy talk. But what I love about the people who've gleefully swallowed McCain's line about Obama essentially being a vapid whore is that they're saying this about a constitutional law scholar who's such an achiever that he was the president of the Harvard Law Review and quickly became a senior lecturer (a position otherwise held by only a few federal judges) at the University of Chicago. People are actually attacking the way he talks off-the-cuff because he composes well-assembled sentences in his head before answering.

These people? They are retarded.

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 11:11 PM
People are actually attacking the way he talks off-the-cuff because he composes well-assembled sentences in his head before answering.

These people? They are retarded.

UHbama has had to dumb down some of his talk alright. ROFL

http://obamauh.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/obamauhmontage.mp3

Taco John
08-01-2008, 11:25 PM
[B]McCain is a known. NObama is an unknown.

So the good way to keep Obama unknown is to advertise him in every campaign message you put out there?

Brilliant!

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 11:30 PM
So the good way to keep Obama unknown is to advertise him in every campaign message you put out there?

Brilliant!

Yes, you put him out there on YOUR terms not HIS. Then he has to explain why your presentation of him was incorrect. Afterall, what is incorrect about the words used? They were HIS words.

Taco John
08-01-2008, 11:34 PM

This is the part that boggles me... They were his words and symbolism alright: the ones which has built the political juggernaut that took down the most powerful democrat force since John F. Kennedy was in office (The Clintons). I'm supposed to believe that people don't want to hear this talk coming from a politician? Nonsense like hope, and change, and personal responsibility?

"We are the ones we are waiting for" is what is brilliant here. It's conservative rhetoric (individual responsibility) wrapped in a slogan for this age.

McCain (and you) are seriously underestimating this guy if y'all think that you can put his mug and his message on television and expect it to be a winning strategy. But then, Jeremiah Wright was supposed to be the arrow through the heart that ended his chances before. I'm not sure why I would expect you'd suddenly come to your senses now and realize that campaigning AGAINST Barack Obama isn't a winning strategy. Hillary Clinton got caught up in in and forgot that the voters liked her best when she was showing her own humanity, not trying to diminish his.

Taco John
08-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, you put him out there on YOUR terms not HIS.

Pfffft! Whatever... :rolleyes:

Then he has to explain why your presentation of him was incorrect. Afterall, what is incorrect about the words used? They were HIS words.

The hell he does. All he has to do is repeat his message. Voters will be listening.

You've completely lost all objectivity. It used to be, you were at least a decent political analyst. You're all emotionally wrapped up in this thing, and it's blinding you.

Ultra Peanut
08-01-2008, 11:38 PM
McCain (and you) are seriously underestimating this guy if y'all think that you can put his mug and his message on television and expect it to be a winning strategy.But if people keep seeing him look and sound AWESOME, they'll think, "No way, I don't want an awesome president. I want That Other Guy™ Jim McClain."

It's brilliant!

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 11:42 PM
This is the part that boggles me... They were his words and symbolism alright: the ones which has built the political juggernaut that took down the most powerful democrat force since John F. Kennedy was in office (The Clintons). I'm supposed to believe that people don't want to hear this talk coming from a politician? Nonsense like hope, and change, and personal responsibility?

"We are the ones we are waiting for" is what is brilliant here. It's conservative rhetoric (individual responsibility) wrapped in a slogan for this age.

McCain (and you) are seriously underestimating this guy if y'all think that you can put his mug and his message on television and expect it to be a winning strategy. But then, Jeremiah Wright was supposed to be the arrow through the heart that ended his chances before. I'm not sure why I would expect you'd suddenly come to your senses now and realize that campaigning AGAINST Barack Obama isn't a winning strategy. Hillary Clinton got caught up in in and forgot that the voters liked her best when she was showing her own humanity, not trying to diminish his.

They are not just putting NObama on tv. They are using his own words in unflattering ways against him.

memyselfI
08-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Pfffft! Whatever... :rolleyes:

The hell he does. All he has to do is repeat his message. Voters will be listening.

You've completely lost all objectivity. It used to be, you were at least a decent political analyst. You're all emotionally wrapped up in this thing, and it's blinding you.

I actually think my analysis will be spot in. Only time will tell but I did not believe NObama will win this election and the past two weeks has only solidified that feeling.
If NObama keeps repeating a message that has become a source of ridicule then the McCain camp has succeeded in forcing NObama to cling to the strategy that brought him this far. This will limit NObama to repeating his previous ridiculed rhetoric in an attempt to recapture the essence of it's original intent. He will be unable to do anything but his previously disgraced and comical message. Thus, NObama is stuck.

If NObama feels he has to move past the lofty language that got us giggling and join us mere mortals then he has to reinvent himself as a mere mortal with flaws and with no greater ability than anyone else. He's stuck here as well. With less than 100 days left in the campaign no candidate wants to reinvent themselves as an Average Joe who deserves a shot at the WH. He's stuck here as well.

McCain's camp has done what Hillary's was unable to do and show how NObama is in Hell desperately seeking ground somewhere between Messiah and Mortal.

Taco John
08-02-2008, 12:58 AM
They are not just putting NObama on tv. They are using his own words in unflattering ways against him.

Unflattering if you're already initiated in the Order of Obamahate. Headscratching if you haven't been paying attention for awhile, and are starting to wake up to the fact that there is an election around the corner. Watch it again, if you're capable, from that perspective. Put aside the hate that is blinding you.

Good God, you called it "brilliant."

Taco John
08-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Actually, forget about it. I can't believe I'm even attempting rational conversation with you. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for being right about it all. Him losing to Hillary worked out just like you said it would. Why shouldn't him losing to McCain also work out as such?

irishjayhawk
08-02-2008, 01:37 AM
You'll see.

McCain, for all his many faults, has been around for awhile. NObama had a speech in 2004 and 143 days in Congress.

And we're talking about people knowing about him. Who doesn't know about Obama?

memyselfI
08-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Actually, forget about it. I can't believe I'm even attempting rational conversation with you. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for being right about it all. Him losing to Hillary worked out just like you said it would. Why shouldn't him losing to McCain also work out as such?

NObama barely beat Clinton and was in a downfall towards the end. Had she continued hammering on him in this manner then she would have beaten him. She was constrained by party loyalty. McCain is constrained only by the chosen limits of his campaign and the race card.

memyselfI
08-02-2008, 06:58 AM
And we're talking about people knowing about him. Who doesn't know about Obama?

You are assuming the entire country has paid attention to cable news and blogs. Trust me, there are plenty of people who don't tune until the last few months before the election. For a lightweight, er, new person on the political stage they have to define who they are and why.

To date, NObama has staked his political life on building a cult of personality. That is why using that against him becomes so valuable a weapon. He's created a window.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/rubin/18791

Why isn’t it working? What’s wrong? You can imagine Hillary Clinton and her supporters banging their heads on their desks and emailing one another (”We told them!” “No one believed us!”) Time it appears has not been Obama’s friend. It has given more and more people time to think and discover that there may not be much behind the grand rhetoric. Others have figured out the degree to which Obama has concealed, evaded and fudged in setting out his political views. What does he believe? It’s unnerving to know so little and to realize he is perhaps the least forthright candidate in recent memory. And, of course, The Ego has just grown and grown so not even the MSM can ignore it. A smart Jonathan Chait has figured out that if the election is about Obama he loses. (Wow. From savior to drag on the Democratic brand in six months.)

Messier
08-02-2008, 08:20 AM
NObama barely beat Clinton and was in a downfall towards the end. Had she continued hammering on him in this manner then she would have beaten him. She was constrained by party loyalty. McCain is constrained only by the chosen limits of his campaign and the race card.

No she wouldn't have. Hillery ran a really good campaign. That is what the Clintons do, they are smart and calculated and know how to campaign. McCain is running an awful campaign, and doesn't seem to have a real direction. If he sticks with Obama is too popular stuff, he will lose.

***SPRAYER
08-02-2008, 08:23 AM
B.O.'s support has remained static since June.

When you hear about "undecided voters" that just means they are still undecided about whether or not they will vote for McCain or just stay home.

But these undecided voters made up their minds a long time ago about B.O.

VAChief
08-02-2008, 09:11 AM
B.O.'s support has remained static since June.

When you hear about "undecided voters" that just means they are still undecided about whether or not they will vote for McCain or just stay home.

But these undecided voters made up their minds a long time ago about B.O.

You have a point there, although I think it might be interesting to see the reaction after some debates...people already decided will not be affected as usual, but standing side by side handling questions on the spot as made a difference with independents in the past.

I'm not suggesting a Nixon/Kennedy repeat, but their styles are certainly contrasting.

Maybe something like dial-up vs. broadband!

Sully
08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
This has got to be the worst campaign strategy in the history of campaigns.

Um...Rudy Giuiani's on the phone... want's to talk to you abotu something.

irishjayhawk
08-02-2008, 11:17 AM
You are assuming the entire country has paid attention to cable news and blogs. Trust me, there are plenty of people who don't tune until the last few months before the election. For a lightweight, er, new person on the political stage they have to define who they are and why.

To date, NObama has staked his political life on building a cult of personality. That is why using that against him becomes so valuable a weapon. He's created a window.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/rubin/18791

You aren't even addressing the point I'm fighting against. You said no one knows about Obama. You've since changed it twice. You now say that anyone who doesn't watch the news doesn't know about Obama. That's a flat out lie in the context of the rest of your statement up there: People know McCain.

You continue to lose all credibility when you change the goal posts for no reason and don't address key points - however stupid - in your posts.